The Official NBA Live 14 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

The Official NBA Live 14 Impressions Thread

Postby JaoSming on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am

You know what to do. Still waiting for the thing to install fully so I can play something other than CLE vs NYK, but so far better than expected. As installation progresses you can play more and more teams....but it is taking forever. Game feels like Live 10 with some Elite and extra touches.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: The Official NBA Live 14 Impressions Thread

Postby JaoSming on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

I'll go into more detail when I am more awake, but right now, play the demo first. Then play it again another day. Then think about getting it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby theru8543 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:02 am

Im not going to get very specific but im just going to tell you real quick what i think of the game as quick as i can....

I honestly feel duped by EA..when i saw the trailers from E3 i was really pumped an actually excited that Live might give 2k a run for its money. I bought 2k14 for current gen and also Next Gen just so u all know i have the game to actually make a fair comparison to Live. Now with that said...if i never played 2k before live 14 i think it would ultimately still be an "ok" basketball sim...using the word "ok" very loosely. I think bouncetek is a term that was over used and i dont really feel like im in control on the dribbling moves. The animations are very delayed, laggy, and very awkward. Graphics are literally decent for CURRENT GEN, and the post play is sad to say the least. Some things i think are good....Features are top notch, much better than 2k but i think next year 2k will have more time and bring association mode back because this my GM is a good concept i just dont like the missing options from Association.

My biggest gripe with the game is the camera angles...4...there are only 4 Angles...baseline low, baseline high, espn, and ea sports. all of which have an action camera option to get closer. I honestly think if there was a better camera, i would have a much better experience with the game. Also the games framerate is incredibly unstable...there are times when i can see it go up and it looks very smooth for a bit and then it drops and looks very bad. We're on next gen for crying out loud and they couldnt even get that locked down.Im not going to go really indepth im just going to let you know that this game is DEF. not a must buy...i'd redbox it just to check it out or play the demo. I still havent lost faith in live because i remember the good ol days...but this game is a BIIIIG let down...I honestly wouldnt even say its better than Live 10...i think live 10 played smoother and more consistent than this game. What EA needs to do is stop having these people that think the know basketball and bring in some people who actually do know the game and start from scratch. I could still see animations and graphics reminiscent of elite 11 and we all know how that went. I really hope they dont just back out and quit because at least they made an effort and didnt back out this year. But some people are saying at least they have a foundation for next year. I dont think they do...i think they need to literally scrap and start from scratch and stop trying to cut corners and make a damn good game from scratch. When IGN is giving you a 4.3, theres a reason for it. Do i think thats an unjust rating, i actually dont..i think its more than fair. the game is very bad. It's funny because everyone saw the 2k trailer and the live trailer and people kept saying its all about gameplay, dont hate on live yet, and i feel like in this game it has EVERYTHING but solid gameplay.
theru8543

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 am

That commentary, it's terrible. :|
Jackal

Postby bowdown on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, they can't even make their commentary more fluid? I guess it isn't that easy as it seems. Gotta give 2K props for how well tied together and fluid their commentary is.
bowdown

Postby Mr LostSoul on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 am

Can we just start the Nba live 15 "top 10/ needs/wishlist" thread?
Have everyone demand nothing but body contact.
Get our feedback out as early as possible.
I have near a thousand things to say, that isn't asking too much of a game that this game doesn't have.
Last edited by Mr LostSoul on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr LostSoul

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Never too early to start, once a game is out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Impressions in video form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rtR959VK2A
phpBB [video]

For a quick review, its "current gen+", shows some promise, is shit compared to NG 2K14 but stands well against other NBA Live games, can be frustrating but can be fun too. Definitely worth trying the demo if you have an Xbox One or PS4, but is NOT worth buying a console just to play it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 pm

I'll also shamelessly plug the latest episode of the Podcast for more of your and Pat's impressions:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-episode-55/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby concolt on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:49 am

I tried to give this game a chance but couldn't get past the first quarter. The gameplay is terrible, really sluggish. Don't get me wrong it has some good things. Like the courts, dribbling and the ball but that's it. All of the players look the same, body type wise. If this came out when 2K11 did I would pic 2K11. There is no excuse for these graphics and gameplay. It's hard for me to say that because I've been a Live guy since I was a little kid. 2K makes a good basketball game and it seems like EA isn't even trying to make a decent one.
concolt

Postby Phreak50 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

I think the graphics are decent, I actually prefer the general body types and muscles over 2K. They look like proper athletes whereas 2K look like bodybuilders.

That's where it ends though, because as soon as Live animates it looks like an amateur effort from a school dev team or something. Pretty embarrassing really when mo-cap tech is so advanced these days.

Plus any gameplay other than the dribbling is just trash. As an offensive player you can get to the hoop at will and no amount of defence in your face affects your shot.

As a defender, you can block pretty much everything.

If you watch replays, especially in slow-motion, you'll see the bounctek is actually stunning. The ball almost never warps and is close to perfectly in the players hands during dribbling. 2K doesn't compare to this, regardless of what their nextgen feature list mentions. When I slow down 2K on PS4 there is ball warping everywhere.

I also like the arenas, crowd and coaches in Live.

So yeah they did a couple things well but the rest is such a mess. I don't see it recovering any time soon. As I said on Operation Sports, EA deserve to have their licence revoked after this.
Phreak50

Postby fjccommish on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:40 am

Too bad there isn't a video game license cop. He could hit his lights and pull over EA. He could remove his sun glasses. "Sir, I'll have to confiscate your license."
fjccommish

Postby JaoSming on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 am

I am trying so damn hard to enjoy this game because the XP system is much more intriguing to me than 2K's buyable VC. The white flash that sometimes does and sometimes does not show up under the player to indicate the perfect release is just wildly inconsistent. Tried doing the Hawes challenge last night and the timing just seems so weird compared to other jumpers (which is fine, but without a consistent flash, how am I supposed to learn it?).

I am getting used to not doing old-school NBA Live tactics of dribble like crazy until someone falls and relying on seemingly subtle moves against the defense to get by them. Unfortunately, since the defenders animations are so rigid, it feels like I and sliding by the defenders rather than actually breaking them down and legitimately getting past them. Its unsatisfying.

It is definitely an EA basketball game though with the dairy that is underneath the rim, and the CPU knows it. I showed the video of what I call the "Mikey" offensive moves of spinning under the hoop until the defense lags up to get a cheesey underhoop score (friend in high school did this). I do like that they have standing dunks for players standing still, with dribble, that include a power dribble in the dunk animation, but they are too hard to stop. I have shut down a few dunk attempts with collisions, but I have been ran the F over much more often, mostly by PGs over my C.

The game, needs, SLIDERS. Slider tweaks made NBA Live 09 and 10 play so much better than out-of-the-box, and even if it isn't truly sim, it could at least make the game more fun. Sliders or rating edits, please.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:57 am

- The game is alright, starting to get the hang of it. Gotta figure out how to play solid defense because the CPU can get in the paint whenever they want!! They always seem to be up by 10 lol on me. CPU had 62 points in the paint on me last night, which is way too unrealistic

- The controls are a bit laggy, sometimes I want to pass out of the post, and I can't. I have to press the button like 4 times to throw a pass from the post, which leads to the lack of offensive rhythm, and low % shot.

- Timing on jumpers other than star players are hard to figure out. Some players don't jump high enough on a jumper, so the rhythm of the shot is off.

- CPU scores at will

- This game needs quicker inbound pass animations

- Definitely needs sliders.

- Playoff Atmosphere seems to disappear from the menu, I found it once, then I couldn't find it again

- Players need better acceleration, especially for fast breaks, the defense can catch up to you and contest your shot (like previous games)

- Need to fix defensive footwork in the paint, it's hard to turn around quick once you get beaten, which leads to easy points in the paint

- BounceTek needs a good tweak, sometimes there's 2K Isomotion-like animations, unless it's a problem due to the laggy controls

- Sometimes, it's too much of a dunk fest. This game definitely needs some more collision animations

That's all I could think of right now!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby JaoSming on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:14 am

Just had some very frustrating moments with the game doing a couple BIG Moment challenges. Spencer Hawes is on the Pacers against the 76ers.... and after seeing the CPU do it, you can just tap down on the RS to do the behind the back dribble all the way to the basket, CPU has no idea what to do.
Doing the MIA challenge with Wade and LBJ, I decided to cheese and cherry pick....the offensive AI has no idea what to do when left all alone. Similarly to the lack of motion on offense, it really seems like the game requires the user to play "sim" for it to behave properly. You gotta defend, if you accidently lose your man, get stuck behind him, or get caught up elsewhere on the court, the game doesn't know how to account for that.
And I just cannot figure out proper jumper or free throw shooting timings. Some seem to require the Live 10 hitch animation, others are release for the smoothest possible animation. Also, eurostep layups can be triggered most anywhere and do not require timing...

I want to like this game, you guys know I don't play too cheesey or condone taking advantage of glitches/exploits. I'm just getting to the point of waiting it out until the first patch comes about..
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Accept the fact that the game sucks for now Jao, else the devs wouldn't even have released that apology if the current version of the game has any redeeming quality to it.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby JaoSming on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Already have. Done until they start patching it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby wisealma on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 am

I tried the demo.

Epic. Fail.

I'm a business man, and just can't get over (*fathom) the idea that after YEARs - THIS is all they could produce (I know they switched developer groups). I feel let down, back stabbed, and maybe even lied to.

When the trailer came out I was excited to give this a shot. I had even told myself that I would pick up 2K for the PC, and Live for the PS4. I ended up picking up 2K for the PS4 instead of Live after the video releases leading up to launch. I just had no confidence that EA could put it all together. That proved out.

I do like the presentation in Live MUCH more than NG 2K. The menus, the badges and icons etc look more developed and even cool. I could detail that the courts etc look nice in Live, but we all know that when we do that we are just trying to find something nice to say... to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think they deserve it at this point, honestly.

The game is a bit confusing to play. The graphics are embarrassing. Everything else everyone else said....

I hope EA can get their act together. Having multiple games is better for gamers. EA failed miserably again...
Thanks
Wisealma

wisealma

Postby BronBron06 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 am

I think they should have released this next gen live to the PC considering the competition was going current gen, instead competing head on with 2k next gen where they know they got no chance in hell of beating them
BronBron06

Postby JaoSming on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:59 am

Here's my rant from the other day, recorded right after those latest videos occured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-O-VLmIlQ
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phil89 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:49 pm

That Oladipo situation reminded me of something that happened a lot in Live 10. When your player got knocked to the ground by a screen and the opponent just stood there and waited for him to get up instead of taking advantage of it.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Just watched your rant video on YouTube. Looking forward to doing the Podcast in a few hours. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:52 pm

They need to completely rewrite their gameplay system/engine from scratch, or at the very least overhaul it, and I mean almost completely. It looks to be completely obsolete.
JBulls

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:57 am

It's kind of insulting they'd release the game as a Next Gen game/come back game.

I'm sort of glad I don't give EA my money anymore, in some ways sad too because it was a big part of my teen years.
Jackal

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:15 am

I think you caring is enough
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA Live 14