Signature Skills Dev Diary

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

Re: Signature Skills Dev Diary

Postby skoadam on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 am

Jao really, im tired of this, i feel all of you are tired with me here. I will just quit and stop my unconstructive posts and for sure we will not agree, im just disapointed. Adding few more words will start new wave of posts so just EOT.
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [41 Complete Seasons Mods + Bonus Rosters]

2022/2023 2021/2022 2020/2021 2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013
2011/2012 2010/2011 2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003
2001/2002 2000/2001 1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993
1991/1992 1990/1991 1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962
skoadam
U R Basketball - Where Sim Happens
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 am

Hopefully none of the new Skills have any balance issues and the fine tuning to the previous Skills provides some subtle improvements. The Acrobat exploit aside, I felt Signature Skills worked out pretty well last year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CharlesAdams3rd on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 am

Andrew wrote:Hopefully none of the new Skills have any balance issues and the fine tuning to the previous Skills provides some subtle improvements. The Acrobat exploit aside, I felt Signature Skills worked out pretty well last year.

I really liked the addition of sig skills last year as well. I really hope they toned down posterizer, though. A lot of times that was unstoppable whenever a Blake Griffin-style player would run into the lane.
CharlesAdams3rd

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 am

I liked the sig skills idea, but they need sliders. It's hard to balance difficulty with sliders and sig skills. If you lower sliders to try and balance a skill, you hurt the players without those sig skills. It's one of those things you don't notice until you have a great game utilizing some sig skills, and then realize that you can exploit it every game.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KingDarealHD on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:33 am

I think alot of problems comes in with the programming team. It seems like the programmers go off of their own knowledge about basketball and put own opinions in the game. The bad thing about that they could be the sorry person you play pickup ball with lol. Even though nba players comes in to talk to them they dont sit there all day helping. Most of the programming goes on by themselves. They also make some teams harder to beat and times when you cant get anything off, because they like this team. Hidden sliders we dont see only the programmers know its there. They need more people who actually know the game off basketball to program the main gameplay. One video of 2k13 i seen last year where one the guys was just branching the animations together. The problem with that is he branched moves that shouldnt be branched together making things seem un smooth. What do you guys think about this? Do you think opinions from the programmers are put into the game? More Basketball knowledge is needed for gameplay? :D
KingDarealHD
LOOK AT ME

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:31 am

Questioning the programmers' basketball knowledge is as useful as questioning NBA players' programming knowledge.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby CharlesAdams3rd on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 am

shadowgrin wrote:Questioning the programmers' basketball knowledge is as useful as questioning NBA players' programming knowledge.

That is true. At the end of the day, we really don't know who knows what. I know this is unrelated, but I remember seeing an interview about how at some company (EA or 2K) they play basketball regularly with the staff. I don't know if that really helps when it comes to programming the game or not, but there may be some pretty knowledgeable guys on the dev team. Also, isn't everything supposed to be based on info given by Stats, Inc.?
CharlesAdams3rd

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:29 pm

Keep in mind that there are plenty of developers who have played at a competitive level. I can say first hand after playing with the developers at EA Canada that they can run just about any of you guys off the court.

I'm sure 2k has plenty of developers who are skilled as well. They seem to have the same core team working on 2k. Logically speaking, they wouldn't have been able to create such a good game year after year if they didn't know basketball.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KingDarealHD on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:32 pm

You can make a good guess, you can tell that more basketball knowledge is needed during the whole process of the programming. You can also guess that the nba players helping out doesnt know about programming. The programmers can take the info they get from the nba players and use it wrong, misinterpret it. You can have all the numbers in the world, doesnt mean you know about the game of basketball. Just because you play basketball in a gym doesnt mean you PLAY basketball you know what i mean. I think the more heads they have working together on the gameplay will equal a more realistic basketball game.
KingDarealHD
LOOK AT ME

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:43 pm

I agree with you, somewhat. I've always wanted the developers to hire a coach and probe their mind about strategy, because I have always felt that the adaptive strategies and adjustments in basketball video games have been lacking, and they resort to ratings boosts for the higher difficulties when I would rather see the opponent make adjustments on their offensive attacks to find an opening in my defense and use different and better strategies then just double teams on defense.

Right now we have strategic options, but the main context of using them is still lacking. It's still easy to find the pattern the cpu is using and use it to bait them into what you want.

Oh, and they(EA devs) didn't just play basketball in a gym. They were quite organized, and even the players who didn't look like they could play. It was far from 5-on-5 pick-up basketball.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KingDarealHD on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Pdub wrote:I agree with you, somewhat. I've always wanted the developers to hire a coach and probe their mind about strategy, because I have always felt that the adaptive strategies and adjustments in basketball video games have been lacking, and they resort to ratings boosts for the higher difficulties when I would rather see the opponent make adjustments on their offensive attacks to find an opening in my defense and use different and better strategies then just double teams on defense.

Right now we have strategic options, but the main context of using them is still lacking. It's still easy to find the pattern the cpu is using and use it to bait them into what you want.

Oh, and they(EA devs) didn't just play basketball in a gym. They were quite organized, and even the players who didn't look like they could play. It was far from 5-on-5 pick-up basketball.
Simple things that happen it 2k that shouldnt happen in basketball could be fixed easily. A basketball mind would point that out and say fix this line of code right here you know. Maybe this code would be better. Eventhough they play organize ball the skill level and knowledge is completely different. You can see that when NBA players play against euroleague players, high players and college players. I personally know three players that played in the NBA. Brevin Knght, Greg Grant (Trenton High Basketball Coach Now and Jayson Williams. i've played 2k with them. They usually have the same reaction. The gameplay just doesnt feel like a real nba game. Idk if people want a realistic playing game or something a live (Something fun to enjoy and joke around with). The AI needs the most work, they move and play like they have bad IQ, and then they get a secret boost that we dont see and can do everything.
KingDarealHD
LOOK AT ME

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Whenever something isn't right in a basketball game, the assumption seems to be that it means the developers are clueless about basketball and don't consult with players or coaches for additional insight. However, the development teams are made up of passionate basketball fans and in quite a few cases former college and pro players, and they do liaise with other people who know what they're talking about.

To me, a lack of knowledge isn't the issue. It's just that there are challenges and limitations when it comes to representing the sport in a video game, trying for perfection down to the last detail. Budget, technology, time restraints...it all comes into play at some point. Developers know what they want to do and what needs to be done, but doing it isn't as easy and effortless as a fingersnap.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby KingDarealHD on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Did you read any of the previous comments? No one ever said that they were clueless or they dont consult with players or coaches. It doesnt matter how passionate they are. They do consult with nba players but they arent there 100 percent of the time while the main programming is going on. I know all about the limitations thats the reason why i dont complain about the graphics and things. I know that it is still a business. I am talking about some lines of programming that could changed or adjusted. Animations that happen in wrong places because of trigger points. The AI arent very smart and alot of times make rookie mistakes. Also if you have played this game and the last 2 games you would know some sneaky stuff happens in the background on the gameplay against certain teams. There are programmers out their that code stuff into the game just because they can.
KingDarealHD
LOOK AT ME

Postby chicagoRAW on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:00 pm

JaoSming wrote:3,000 animations added according to 2K's press release. You have no ability to deny this just as I have no ability to prove this. We can only take them for their word and if you don't trust them then don't buy their game.

Correction - 3,500 animations added.

JaoSming, get a recent job sucka.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1754 ... al-trailer
chicagoRAW

Postby BrotherJRB on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:25 am

I love the sig skills/.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Previous

Return to NBA 2K14