What's your favourite NBA 2K game?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: What's your favourite NBA 2K game?

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:21 am

I'm speaking in general, since Live 2007 (PC) was mentioned.

I still can't believe the level of horribleness that is Live 2007 PC that it forced a bunch of losers to support and submit a petition to EA to patch the damn game.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NIB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Leftos wrote:NIB, I think your pride is blinding you. UBR is an absolutely great piece of modding, but it was built on one of the worst iterations of NBA 2K, hands down. I'm sorry, it's really simple. Pretty sure that if UBR was built for 2K13 first or if it had been transferred to 2K13 already, you wouldn't be preaching all that.

But OFC I'M VERY PRIDE OF MY WORK, I DESERVE IT.... :applaud:

In fact, i'm not blind Leftos, i'm the one whom sees the truth here...

There's no other mod like the UBR in any other game, besides the NBA 2K12, period. And that's the crutial point here, if you have all options at 2K13, 2K whatever, hands down, hands up, hands aside... I'd be the very first to recognize that this suppose "if game" (that doesn't even exists) whom had a mod at least similar to the UBR, would be be the best game, but we don't have it, so i got to pick 2K12, period.

BTW, Leftos even your great discovers in terms of programs can't be compare to the Ultimate Base Roster achievements, sorry pal. Look to the thread? 202 PAGES, more then 10.000 REPLIES... I mean you gotta respect the fact that 2K12 became a Classic paradigm with UBR Mod.

And Jao, what you said in your video is more then enough... Remember the "INSANE" thing???
Plz...

Boys, play the game with all mods, see all mods, the historical achievements of our thread is giving to the basketball community itself, look at the effort, its soul, that's what The Ultimate Base Roster for NBA 2K12 (UNFORTUNALLY ONLY ONE YET) is all about. YOU JUST CAN'T COMPARE TO ANYTHING ELSE.

You guys are two great modders, one very capable and the other a great leader. But deep inside you know what i am talking about, and our Project relies in something else then modding. Our team achievements. :bowdown: :applaud: :bowdown2:

And i gotta preach all that... LOUDLY! :D

Take care men, cause the worst blind is the one who doesn't wanna see the truth. Watch the EGO gentelman... And sorry if some of my words somehow get a personal touch... I Love and Respect You Both! :bowdown:
Nib :D

P.S. That's my final answer about the subject, you may really think different about (which i really doubt), but it's your opinion against my opinion. No needs for further explain, period.
ATECUBANOS...
Yesterday... Carried the Piano - Today, Right Now... Playing the Piano - Tomorrow... Will Listen the Piano.

Working Here, Working There... Working Everywhere!

"Michael, you're not doing today! You ain't go doing today!!" - Dennis Rodman
NIB

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:20 pm

It's funny that some of the discussion has nothing to do with this thread. The topic was your FAVORITE 2K game, not which one is the best.

I think my favorite is still 2K7. Probably because it was my first modern 2K game and sparked a day one buy for the next six years. Seeing all the "little things" that people mentioned on the internet was amazing. For the first time I sat through intro's, freethrow routines, and basically let the games play through all of it's presentation. I don't know why I traded it in and kept 2K8.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby NIB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Check again Pdub, some posts above... There's no discussion until Jao replies my choice.

I'm not the one that starts to talk about the best, i was talking exaclty about my favourite, but suddenly i feel like i got to prove my point of view, and like a home court, i protect it and then defend it...

The funny part is that Leftos joined the discussion, replying my post, and then again more strongly then the first time i explain my thoughts about it.

I respect all commentaries about me, according or not according to my own, but i'm a passioned defender of them. :D

NBA 2K12 is by FARRRRR my favourite.
FAR, FAR AWAY... Like Shrek, Donkey and Princess Fiona down the road! Heheheheh
ATECUBANOS...
Yesterday... Carried the Piano - Today, Right Now... Playing the Piano - Tomorrow... Will Listen the Piano.

NIB

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Check again for what? I wrote about the discussion in general,not who started it. I really enjoyed 2k12. I played mostly My Career. Almost 5 seasons of it, completely.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 pm

2K13 for me so far. Although I went 2 and a half seasons in with 2K11, 2K13 just felt like a more complete package, even with its small shortcomings on gameplay. I couldn't go back to not being able to control my players in the post with the Y switch in 2K11, and I wouldn't play 2K12 again even if I was paid to do so. So, for me 2K13 ranks slightly above 2K11 due to the post controls and improved animation blending and slight adjustments and improvements to Association/MyCareer, while 2K12... well, let's just say I enjoyed fixing and modding that game more than I enjoyed playing it. Don't remember if I was ever able to finish a season with it, it was very frustrating at times. In fact, I wouldn't give 2K the benefit of the doubt back in 2K13's preview season until we actually saw and played the game, because 2K12 had left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Granted, I have no opinion on 2K games before 2K9, since I never had a console and had to stick with what was available on PC.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:34 am

When you say your favorite game, ofc you gotta choose one above all, in my mind (obviously) the best.

For me its a easy choice (thinking as a regular user): Gameplay + Graphics + Options = NBA 2K12... An easy formula to answer.
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 am

NIB wrote:great discovers in terms of programs can't be compare to the Ultimate Base Roster achievements, sorry pal. Look to the thread? 202 PAGES, more then 10.000 REPLIES... I mean you gotta respect the fact that 2K12 became a Classic paradigm with UBR Mod.

You do know that without those people who make the tools and editors that the game can't even be modded or patched?

I know you specifically addressed your statement to Leftos but singling out 1 editor/tool maker and comparing his achievement to a whole mod which a group of people worked to create is like slapping every editor/toolmaker who made it possible for you guys to even mod the game.

Talk about delusional.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:45 am

shadowgrin wrote:
NIB wrote:great discovers in terms of programs can't be compare to the Ultimate Base Roster achievements, sorry pal. Look to the thread? 202 PAGES, more then 10.000 REPLIES... I mean you gotta respect the fact that 2K12 became a Classic paradigm with UBR Mod.

You do know that without those people who make the tools and editors that the game can't even be modded or patched?

I know you specifically addressed your statement to Leftos but singling out 1 editor/tool maker and comparing his achievement to a whole mod which a group of people worked to create is like slapping every editor/toolmaker who made it possible for you guys to even mod the game.

Talk about delusional.

Do you even read above about my respect to him? The complements, the words, the predicates??? :?:
Check other threads even the one about he's moving to 2K Sports, search over there, i NEVER DISRESPECT HIM AT ALL. I RESPECT LEFTOS AND ALL MODDERS! :bowdown2:

I always support everybody here, from the modest user to the highest modderators...
But you guys here got such a "little group corporativism" that boards the riduculous. Why? Why???

I never say that tool makers aren't important, they are really important, so don't feel slap at all Shadow, my sorry if i you fell like this man!... I say that i prefer the Mod we made, period. I respect everybody here, but also respect my paks, all my works here since NBA Live 2004, the time i spent making things for common users like me, like you, like moderators and tool makers too. The days and nights there i spent working for the community.

I state above my impressions about the topic question, so if you wanna talk something, say something about my choice (the favourite game - which btw is the topic title), not about my opinion about "a", "b" or "c", cause was never my itention to disrespect nobody.

And plz guys, let's move on, ple-a-se?
Get back to the topic, cause everybody got a personal opinion, let's respect each other and move on.

Btw, why not making a poll about the subject, i think is more productive and will produce a better answer about it, IMO. (Y)
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 am

Polls often discourage discussion, since people can just click an option rather than posting their thoughts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 am

And the option to have a poll inside the topic, like here?
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:57 am

Yes, that's the only way to add polls in the Forum. But like I said, it tends to discourage discussion. People click on the thread, click a poll option, then leave.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 pm

NIB wrote:I always support everybody here, from the modest user to the highest modderators...
But you guys here got such a "little group corporativism" that boards the riduculous. Why? Why???

:lol: Carry on good sir. (Y)

Overall it would be 2K13 for me. I'm not of a MyPlayer guy in the past versions of the game but in 2K13 it's what I play all the time, maybe the gameplay improvements were enough to even make me spend time with that mode.
I even find it hard to continue my 30 year association in 2K10 after playing 2K13.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Ok Shadow, great to see you guys arguing about the games, and i'm really seen that's not a group choice, but it seems that you guys really liked 2K13 a lot. 2k Sports really made a fantastic job.

When i played 2K11 i felt amazing, just having MJ back, fantastic (Do you guys remember NBA Live 2000?)... Then came 2K12, the UBR and all its options, just catch my imagination. We worked hard then ever and guys over there bought the idea, no selfish behaivor. Ofc we had fights, discussions, i got banned and get back, but i learned from Andrew, Leftos, Jaosming and Hawk too, that we got play by our rules. I finally understands that we have respect authority and more important... Respect each other.

Respecting them, our rules... I begin to understand what the community is all about.
But like ourselves, the community got its own mistakes, nothing is completely perfect at all.

And the about the poll Andrew is right, (and i don't know why, but he's the guy i respect most here) it really discourage discussion.
But you guys know me, i'm a passioned type... And let me change my point of view, you're right Shadow, Leftos works and all tool makers works are so important then ours in any type of mod. (Y)

I'm a easy type of person, despite my commentaries that sometimes got a little heavier then usual, maybe too offensive - something i must work on. But anyone can deal easily with me, and i'm here to help and see our beloved basketball games get develop.

Finally i choosed 2K12 - and that's the biggest mistake that Eletronic Arts did in my opinion, lefting the retro teams and players away from the process in recent games, and then 2K Sports wisely, and in a very inteligent move got this old squads and explore it - because when you start have matchups between recent teams against retro classic ones, we confront not only basketball eras, but different styles of play.

With the Ultimate Roster we give people a little taste of the famous "What if?"
And turns the benift of the doubt into a historical contend between players, teams, franchises and time itself.

As brazilians says: We don't wanna got to heaven if there is not soccer overthere. I assume that everybody here wants basketball too! :bowdown2:
Last edited by NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

NIB, is in lala land. 2K12 can be your favorite game due to its mods, but its laughable to put it into the same sentence as 2K13. Its barely playable. I'd rather not play a basketball video game than be stuck with 2K12, knowing and having played 2K13. 2K12 is inferior, period. If 2K12 is your favorite cause of UBR, great story, proud of you. The second you start pretending it isn't head and shoulders below 2K13 and that any living soul will play it after 2K13 is capable of having a similar project, we can have a rational discussion. Until then it just looks like you wiping 2K12 remnants off your chin. Its s such a ridiculous statement I can't even take it seriously.

For me, I believe it was Live 05 that was my first for PC, and I have very fond memories,of it. Introduction to patching and modding and the like. 2K13 is the best game I've played, though, while I admittedly missed most of the 2K series prior to 2K12 so I can't compare there.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey bigh0rt, i tired of taking other commentaries (like yours) seriously, so if you arrive in lala land you gonna love it. That i can assure to you. :wink:

2K12 as i said got gameplay + graphics + options. Just more then any other game. It's more then a heart option folks it's a rational choice. But seriously bigh0rt, i'm not afraid of changing my point of view, ony if the next generation game got the same or at very least equal options then 2K12.
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:51 pm

NIB wrote:Hey bigh0rt, i tired of taking other commentaries (like yours) seriously, so if you arrive in lala land you gonna love it. That i can assure to you. :wink:

2K12 as i said got gameplay + graphics + options. Just more then any other game. It's more then a heart option folks it's a rational choice. But seriously bigh0rt, i'm not afraid of changing my point of view, ony if the next generation game got the same or at very least equal options then 2K12.

Compared to 2K13, the gameplay of 2K12 is just about unplayable. So as long as you keep listing that as a pro,for 2K12, I can't take it seriously. If I knew absolutely nothing about the game of basketball and how it is played and tactics and strategy, maybe I would thoroughlly enjoy 2K12, but alas. There's nothing 2K12 could do to ever make me play it ever again, having 2K13 as an alternative option.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NIB on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
NIB wrote:Hey bigh0rt, i tired of taking other commentaries (like yours) seriously, so if you arrive in lala land you gonna love it. That i can assure to you. :wink:

Compared to 2K13, the gameplay of 2K12 is just about unplayable. So as long as you keep listing that as a pro,for 2K12, I can't take it seriously. If I knew absolutely nothing about the game of basketball and how it is played and tactics and strategy, maybe I would thoroughlly enjoy 2K12, but alas. There's nothing 2K12 could do to ever make me play it ever again, having 2K13 as an alternative option.

I completely disagree, 2K12 is more then playable for me. I think i know about basketball the same as the majority of our community does. I'm really not a pro, but i think i understand enough about it to at least have fun.

2K13 got great gameplay, but without the options of 2K12 it simply out bounds for a serious equal comparison. Pro or not pro, i'm talking about a fact, period. We simply can't deny that mods represents all the diference for a regular user.
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 pm

NIB wrote:2K13 got great gameplay

not what you were saying earlier
NIB wrote:And 2K12 gotta the speed motion on players, it's like a NBA game, even having a little worse playability then its newer versions, it's by far the most gifted of them all, reason to classify this game as the best of all time. Easy.

NIB wrote:In 2K13 guys come walking to the middle of the court.
In 2K12 guys run to surpasses the middle of the floor, what is usually done by a point guard.

When i say playability, understand gameplay. Compare the two best yourself...

NBA 2K13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1RPDrO6HE
NBA 2K12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1RPDrO6HE

Better basket net in 2K13? Better glass? But look at the shot motion, the pace of the game, i mean basketball is not like soccer, for example, when a guy stop in the middle at the field and looks the game, basketball is a dynamic type of sport, everybody running, point guards paces the game, but we usually run from defensive court to offensive court.

If you are going to be this elitist about 2K12, at least be consistent.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NIB on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:46 am

Jao, interpretations about someone else words are a very dangerous and decieve field.

I've been loyal with my thoughts from the very beginning of this discussion so far. I never said that 2K11 or 2K13 (mainly) aren't great games, or have a bad gameplay, do you read "bad gameplay"?

Nope.

What i'm trying to say is that 2K13 is really a great game, with great gameplay. But for me it's gameplay have some little isssues, like the running aspect to the middle of the floor. Some will agree, others do not.

2K12 gameplay works just fine for me. And as i said trillion times above, it's options makes my choice reasonable enough to name the 2012 game as the best and logically my favourite basketball game ever.

If i got to choose only one at the shelf, it'll be 2K12.

Just to point something else here. I love your vídeos, they help me tons here, i just joke about the "insane" thing at the time, because i felt the same way as you, at the time. I think your choice for 2K13 is more then justify right now.

You said that "if 2K13 came with all those teams...", but 2K13 came, i saw sense in your thoughts.
I use the "insane" part just to show people the impact of the UBR in 2K12, trying to elevate my point, but never as a personal stuff.

I know that i'm really a pain in the ass when comes about a discussion, but don't be mad at me, i'm a nice guy... Just a little Reggie Miller and Dennis Rodman spirits inside. And i confess... I LOVED IT! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7lEodrgQg8 - TO CHILL EVERYBODY... HEHEHEHEH
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Previous

Return to Other Basketball Games