What's your favourite NBA 2K game?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

What's your favourite NBA 2K game?

Postby Kenny_C on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 am

Hey guys,

Well this might not be the correct place for such a topic, but i was wondering what was the favourite game of the serie for everyone and why, i heard that NBA 2K10 was the best for some, some even think it has better graphics than the 2K13 version..besides i saw some videos, and it looks quite good i must say.

Anyways, 2K13 is the 1st game i play of the serie and m quite intrested in knowing everyone's favourite :D
Kenny_C

Re: What's your favourite NBA 2K game?

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am

I'd say NBA 2K13. Sounds like the easy choice, being the latest game and all, but it's the one I've enjoyed the most as I've found the controls more accessible and responsive than in years past. I'm also quite enjoying MyCAREER this year, it's been the 2K game that I've been inspired to play most frequently, so I'd have to deem it my favourite.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Derrick Rose on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Well
All around
2k13 is the best
but
2k10 is good too
:D
Derrick Rose

Postby STB. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm

2K7, 2K11 and 2K13. the odd year games always come correct somehow.
STB.

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

2K7 just feels so perfect to me, even though its dated. So many great things in that game. Just thinking about it is going to make me load it up right now.
for PC, 2K13 has topped the previous games again with gameplay improvements.
Then 2K11, the last MP mode I enjoyed, and gameplay/other modes that weren't as broken as 2k12.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Murat on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 am

2K7 on PS2 had a soul inside... I completed lots of dynasties in it.

On PC, I liked all of them separately. But 2K13 is so nice this year
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MJALLDAY on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:52 am

2k13 & 2K11 are great but stay away from 2k12, horrible game play (no cpu double teams, bad fast break logic, bad passing, etc.). If you're into retro games like I am check out 2k2.
MJALLDAY

Postby NIB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:51 am

2K12 by far... FAR FAR AWAY.

Like the Shrek movie, heheheheh, you just simple can't compare a game with all the options and variables that 2K12 have. Simply incomparable.

We have the UBR Project, Fiba and Euroleague, we have almost every single piece of history and tradition pilled in one single game. Some can say that 2K13, 14, 15 are gonna have better playability, that's for me the greatest thing on a basketball game, but graphically 2K12 do not lose to any of those new games.

And 2K12 gotta the speed motion on players, it's like a NBA game, even having a little worse playability then its newer versions, it's by far the most gifted of them all, reason to classify this game as the best of all time. Easy.

I mean... EASY.
ATECUBANOS...
Yesterday... Carried the Piano - Today, Right Now... Playing the Piano - Tomorrow... Will Listen the Piano.

Working Here, Working There... Working Everywhere!

"Michael, you're not doing today! You ain't go doing today!!" - Dennis Rodman
NIB

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm

NIB wrote:And 2K12 gotta the speed motion on players,

...all players run at the same speed though....

NIB wrote:We have the UBR Project, Fiba and Euroleague, we have almost every single piece of history and tradition pilled in one single game. Some can say that 2K13, 14, 15 are gonna have better playability, that's for me the greatest thing on a basketball game,

Once RED MC is updated in a couple weeks the same thing will be possible in 2K13, with that better "playability"

NIB wrote:but graphically 2K12 do not lose to any of those new games.

IMO 2K11 modded looked better than 2K12 modded. 2K13 vanilla looks better than 2K12 vanilla.

Mods add to the value yes, but I'm not sure you can gage a game based on mods, cause in that case NBA Live 07 was the best thing evar!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NIB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:36 pm

2K12 is more complete then any other game, starts on graphics ends on gameplay.

EASY.

And about the Mods... The question is not whom have more mods, but the best ones.
Last edited by NIB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATECUBANOS...
Yesterday... Carried the Piano - Today, Right Now... Playing the Piano - Tomorrow... Will Listen the Piano.

NIB

Postby MJALLDAY on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm

2k13 certainly isn't perfect out of the box but most of its problems can be fixed by tweaking the sliders. The Mods for 2k12 are great but the major problems can't be fixed. For me 2k12's ultimate sin is the lack of cpu double teams. That may not matter to online guys or people who play their buddies but if you play against the cpu like me then it really ruins the game. You can score at will with a dominant low post guy like Shaq or you can just go to town with Michael Jordan. Why pass? They don't double no matter how hot he gets. Plus 2k13 is so much more fun with its much improved dunk packages and fast breaks. Fast breaks in 2k12 are maddening.
MJALLDAY

Postby NIB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:43 pm

JaoSming wrote:
NIB wrote:And 2K12 gotta the speed motion on players,

...all players run at the same speed though....

NIB wrote:We have the UBR Project, Fiba and Euroleague, we have almost every single piece of history and tradition pilled in one single game. Some can say that 2K13, 14, 15 are gonna have better playability, that's for me the greatest thing on a basketball game,

Once RED MC is updated in a couple weeks the same thing will be possible in 2K13, with that better "playability"

NIB wrote:but graphically 2K12 do not lose to any of those new games.

IMO 2K11 modded looked better than 2K12 modded. 2K13 vanilla looks better than 2K12 vanilla.

Mods add to the value yes, but I'm not sure you can gage a game based on mods, cause in that case NBA Live 07 was the best thing evar!

In 2K11 we have a explosion in running, we're at a marathon...
In 2K13 guys come walking to the middle of the court.
In 2K12 guys run to surpasses the middle of the floor, what is usually done by a point guard.

When i say playability, understand gameplay. Compare the two best yourself...

NBA 2K13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1RPDrO6HE
NBA 2K12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1RPDrO6HE

Better basket net in 2K13? Better glass? But look at the shot motion, the pace of the game, i mean basketball is not like soccer, for example, when a guy stop in the middle at the field and looks the game, basketball is a dynamic type of sport, everybody running, point guards paces the game, but we usually run from defensive court to offensive court.

Otherwise, in my opinion, 2K12 gotta a better pace in game then 2K11 can't compare them. And graphically the changes are so little that almost always a new version surpasses its elder version, as a rule.

New versions always got better graphics, (we call game evolution) as a nromal rule for this, so IMO 2K11<2K12<2K13.

Finally...
NBA Lives 2007 and 2008 are like Bill Russell.
NBA 2K12 is Michael Jeffrey Jordan, gotta??? :D
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:43 pm

NIB, I know you are very proud of the work you put into the game, and you should be, URB is unprecedented....it does not fix the core issues with the game though.
NIB wrote:2K12 is more complete then any other game, starts on graphics ends on gameplay.

again, shaq can run as fast as rose, that is not good gameplay. MJALLDAY mentioned the double teams and there are other AI issues. Tell me how many times you've gotten a non-tip block in 2K12 even when the player winds all the way up and it should go into the crowd. There are issues that retexturing and changing player likenesses cannot fix. That has to be factored in when comparing games, especially when these have been fixed in 2K13.

NIB wrote:In 2K11 we have a explosion in running, we're at a marathon...
In 2K12 guys run to surpasses the middle of the floor, what is usually done by a point guard.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

NIB wrote:When i say playability, understand gameplay. Compare the two best yourself...

NBA 2K13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1RPDrO6HE
NBA 2K12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1RPDrO6HE

you linked to the same video.

NIB wrote:Better basket net in 2K13? Better glass?

They are the same man...and you linked to a 360 video, which has more graphic stuff than PC like the bending glass on dunks and arena coloring/shading

NIB wrote:But look at the shot motion, the pace of the game, i mean basketball is not like soccer, for example, when a guy stop in the middle at the field and looks the game, basketball is a dynamic type of sport, everybody running, point guards paces the game, but we usually run from defensive court to offensive court.

Again, I have no clue what you are talking about. You are saying there are major AI flaws in 2k13, where the general consensus is 2K13 fixed the noticeable issues in 2K12.

NIB wrote:New versions always got better graphics, (we call game evolution) as a nromal rule for this, so IMO 2K11<2K12<2K13

I am pretty sure you just contradicted yourself...

NIB wrote:NBA Lives 2007 and 2008 are like Bill Russell.
NBA 2K12 is Michael Jeffrey Jordan, gotta???

07 and 08 sucked. 07 had so many AI issues it wasn't even funny, and 08 has no transition defense, you can fast break on made baskets.
The point I was making was the games we mod do add to the personal worth and appreciation of the game, but it does not make it a better game objectively than others.

I do feel the need to ask, have you even played 2K13?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NIB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:04 pm

JaoSming wrote:NIB, I know you are very proud of the work you put into the game, and you should be, URB is unprecedented....it does not fix the core issues with the game though.

OFC I AM! Heheheheh... But you said "unprecedented" not me. Core issues? C'mon babe, don't be so technical...

If you play a game that you got and wanna joy, fun and pleasure, guys making what they are supposed to do in gameplay that seems and works fine, presentantion is fine, graphics are more then ok, what you can argue??? I mean you can go for minors issues, but you can't even put any other game in the table with 2K12... It's unprecedented as you and everybody knows. Look at our thread, look how many replies we got, look everything guys put together over there... YEAH, THIS MOD MADE 2K12 THE BEST BASKET GAME EVER BY FAR, SORRY Chief.

NIB wrote:2K12 is more complete then any other game, starts on graphics ends on gameplay.

JaoSming wrote:again, shaq can run as fast as rose, that is not good gameplay. MJALLDAY mentioned the double teams and there are other AI issues. Tell me how many times you've gotten a non-tip block in 2K12 even when the player winds all the way up and it should go into the crowd. There are issues that retexturing and changing player likenesses cannot fix. That has to be factored in when comparing games, especially when these have been fixed in 2K13.

Again, minor issues IMO... You are the expert, if there are two game in the table (2K12 or 2K13) who do you pick, already knowing what each one can provide in terms of options... 2K13 is graphically better then 2K12, but the gameplay is fine at 2K12, and THE DIESEL IS THAT FAST?? Heheheh Probably yeah!

NIB wrote:In 2K11 we have a explosion in running, we're at a marathon...

JaoSming wrote:I have no clue what you are talking about..

I explain to you as a six-year-old-kid... Heheheh
2K11 guys runs too much.
2K13 guys slow the pace too much...
2K12 guys run in a balance comparison to a NBA Game (And yeah i already watch one, my first was in Boston!)

NIB wrote:When i say playability, understand gameplay. Compare the two best yourself...

NBA 2K13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxWd8dC2gnw
NBA 2K12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_30-uh3 ... e=youtu.be

JaoSming wrote:you linked to the same video.

You're right, my bad Chief.
First video is a NBA 2K13 PC gameplay exhibition
Second is from a guy that i really LOVE! HE'S FROM BOSTOM-MA. LOVE THE CELTS, HATE MY LAKERS, BUT IT'S A VERY, VERY NICE GUY! :mrgreen:

NIB wrote:Better basket net in 2K13? Better glass?

JaoSming wrote:They are the same man...and you linked to a 360 video, which has more graphic stuff than PC like the bending glass on dunks and arena coloring/shading.

2K13 is graphic better then 2K12, but it's like having an "A" or an "A+" on a math test, not bad brother.

NIB wrote:But look at the shot motion, the pace of the game, i mean basketball is not like soccer, for example, when a guy stop in the middle at the field and looks the game, basketball is a dynamic type of sport, everybody running, point guards paces the game, but we usually run from defensive court to offensive court.

JaoSming wrote:Again, I have no clue what you are talking about. You are saying there are major AI flaws in 2k13, where the general consensus is 2K13 fixed the noticeable issues in 2K12.

I made an analogy for you about soccer and basket, to defend that in one sport you run and stop in the field, like soccer, and the other you run almost all the time, a dynamic type like basketball, to point that 2K12 represents what i need at gameplay and it's pace - the velocity which guys run plays.

NIB wrote:New versions always got better graphics, (we call game evolution) as a nromal rule for this, so IMO 2K11<2K12<2K13

JaoSming wrote:I am pretty sure you just contradicted yourself....

Read the subject Jao... "GRAPHICS" - In terms of graphics, not in terms of all that a game could represent, cause in that case i should give you this notation:
NBA 2K12 >> Any other NBA game.
Did you read it right man??? Wanna my glasses to???
Check for help chief... http://www.rapidtables.com/math/symbols ... ymbols.htm (I'm sure that this time the link is fine Jao).

NIB wrote:NBA Lives 2007 and 2008 are like Bill Russell.
NBA 2K12 is Michael Jeffrey Jordan, gotta???

JaoSming wrote:07 and 08 sucked. 07 had so many AI issues it wasn't even funny, and 08 has no transition defense, you can fast break on made baskets.
The point I was making was the games we mod do add to the personal worth and appreciation of the game, but it does not make it a better game objectively than others.

Don't you say... Really????

JaoSming wrote:I do feel the need to ask, have you even played 2K13?

I play this since 96... Starting the issue, i said that 2K13 is better graphically then 2K12, and let me be very straight on this, by little, because i play both and compare them, but do you?

Just kidding Jao, your opinion against my opinion... But try to remember the LAST GAME AT THE SHELF TO BUY, WHICH YOU CHOOSE??? 2K13 OR 2K12???
AND PLZ DON'T CHEAT ON ME... BE HONEST!

As Vlad says...
Best wishes,
Nib :D
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby RedPhazon8 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:14 pm

NBA 2K11 is still my favorite game out of the series, 2K13 is in a close second though.
RedPhazon8

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:15 pm

even though there were obvious flaws in the game, i had a lot of fun (and frustration) playing 2k7
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:11 pm

2K13 without a doubt, an isomotion that actually provides the user control, no canimation, smarter AI, just much better gameplay and control, and with 1 more update to the RED MC the same level of customization as 2K12, 2K11, and 2K10. Gameplay > Mods because we cannot edit the mod the gameplay and core mechanics, we are dependent on 2K to make those kinds of changes year to year.

UBR is the best mod made, without a doubt, but will you say if it gets converted to 2K13? Again, have you even played NBA 2K13?

And you will never want to use my videos to show off good gameplay, that had casual sliders on iirc.

And please, tell me your thoughts on how great the game is, with Shaq and Rose being able to run at the same speed, no matter what their quickness or speed ratings are.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NIB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:00 am

Jao you are right about it, no doubts 2K13 is the best gameplay of them all, period. As 2K14, 15... 2K N will have better gameplays and probably will be better and that's why 2K are killing EA for year and year again, cause the gameplay plus graphic combination is too powerful to deal with it, IMO.

I got your point, and sorry if i joke with you too much (it's just my "Sinatra's" way heheheh :D), but do you got mine? I mean we both agree that 2K13 is the better so far, in terms of gameplay + graphics, but there's other element missing on our equation: OPTIONS.

And let me be clear about it, options like the UBR Mod, i mean, it just puts 2K12 to a completely different level in terms of what a game of basketball could offer to users in experience all the game history itself, gameplay, players, courts, jerseys, graphics, tradition, etc, etc, etc...

So if we just have one game at the table, and you gotta choose one... JUST ONE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVE! 2K12 is by far the choice, and i got admit you made difficult to prove my point of view, but you know i'm right! Hehehehe, you can say here for everybody see: "No, i'll peak 2K13, cause the great AI stuff" (L-I-A-R :mrgreen:), but everybody will at least have a great doubt in not having 2K12 Classics.

And speaking of your videos, that i got to admit, i love them all! I really, REALLY didn't want to do this, but i got a video of a friend of mine, made a year ago... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_30-uh3 ... e=youtu.be

Listen parts:
1:30 (ahead)... Jaosming words here folks, not mine, not yours (users), but Jao own words: "It's just goes insane!"

2:15 (ahead)... Did i hear "insane" again????
??????

2:19 (ahead)... Full transcription: "...He's taking what 2K did to a just completely different level... And, I'M SORRY! HE'S GOING RUIN 2K13 FOR ME! IF 2K13 DOESN'T HAVE ALL THESE TEAMS, LIKE... IT'S OVER WITH IT, I'M NOT GOING TO LIKE THE GAME (2K13???) AT ALL!..."

2:57 (AHEAD)... JAO, just listen to the song that's playing... THEY'RE PLAYING BASKETBALL! WE LOVE THAT BASKETBALL!!! :bowdown2: :bowdown2: :bowdown2:

No more words gentleman. :D
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. i got 2K12 and 13 by steam, and got 2K11/12 (DVDs) and ofc our beloved Live 2004 and almost non touched Live 2008... 2K gamers almost always told me that 2K10 is the better version of them all, why not making a poll about it??? Hmm, interesting.

P.S.2 Jao, when you going to win a demo game in a video of yours??? :D I mean, why you always got beaten??? LOL :mrgreen: :cheeky:

Finally, if you put the UBR into the 2K13, 14, 15... I LEAVE MY HOMMIE AND NEVER AGAIN DISCUSS WITH YOU! :facepalm2: :turrible: :dance:
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby protto on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 am

STB. wrote:2K7, 2K11 and 2K13. the odd year games always come correct somehow.

true, but the best for me is still 2007.

Last edited by protto on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
protto

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 am

NIB wrote:So if we just have one game at the table, and you gotta choose one... JUST ONE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVE! 2K12 is by far the choice, and i got admit you made difficult to prove my point of view, but you know i'm right! Hehehehe, you can say here for everybody see: "No, i'll peak 2K13, cause the great AI stuff" (L-I-A-R ), but everybody will at least have a great doubt in not having 2K12 Classics.

Even if I could not update 2K13 anymore and had to play with the mods I currently have installed, even with all the season mods, I would choose 2K13.
Even if I didn't have this - 84 Retro Team Roster - I would still pick 2K13. That is how much better the game plays than 2K12, in my opinion. You need to remember that I made that video before 2K13 came out, so I thought not having the extra teams would ruin it for me....it didn't.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NIB on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:42 am

Extra teams? 84 Team Roster, made by you, yeah i downloaded OFC! Against what??

A game with all NBA Champions, 38 Season Mods, ABA, Allstar, Alltime, 60's, 70's and 80's Mods, more teams then any other game ever.... :applaud:

More courts, database players and plus i'll be personally giving this Mod all Naismith-FIBA Hall Famers, All NBA Runners up, BAA Champs, NBL Champs and International Cup Champs... And an All Time International Nations Teams. Planned by myself in a short future? :crazyeyes:

And a 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940 Allstars Teams, one for each remaining era... :D

You better take your medicines...

BTW, forget, i'll take mine. :crazy:
ATECUBANOS...

NIB

Postby Leftos on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:41 am

NIB, I think your pride is blinding you. UBR is an absolutely great piece of modding, but it was built on one of the worst iterations of NBA 2K, hands down. I'm sorry, it's really simple. Pretty sure that if UBR was built for 2K13 first or if it had been transferred to 2K13 already, you wouldn't be preaching all that.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:52 am

And again, I am saying UBR is great, I'm just saying it cannot make up for the issues in 2K12 that are not in 2K13. My main issue with your posts were with your accusations that graphic and AI issues were abound in 2K13, making vanilla 2K13 < vanilla 2K12.

To each their own, but in my opinion mods do not alleviate unfixable issues in comparison to a better, at the very least fixed, game.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am

What's the point of having an awesome mod if the the game play is crap and unfixable or unmoddable? :facepalm2:

2K13 guys slow the pace too much...

lol no. Have you even played the game without mods? There's constant fastbreaks after every defensive rebound that it's almost like cheesing for the cpu unless you edit the sliders or coach profiles.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 am

the point is to have an awesome mod to extend the life of the game. its not like 2K12 is unplayable or in anyway "crap", it just doesn't compare to 2K13 for me.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to Other Basketball Games