Gran Turismo 6

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Gran Turismo 6

Postby Phil89 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:31 pm

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6- ... t-details/
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced Gran Turismo®6 (GT6™), the latest version of PlayStation®’s best-selling franchise, will be released in Holiday, 2013. The news was revealed today by legendary Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi at an event held to celebrate 15 years of the 70-million-selling series.

GT6 for PlayStation®3 will bring new levels of authenticity to ‘the Real Driving Simulator’ as well as introducing stunning new tracks and cars and a revised user interface. A new compact game engine will improve operation and increase the flexibility to expand it with downloadable content. Meanwhile, the game is also set for expanded connectivity with other devices such as smart phones and tablets and increased social and community functions.

All of the cars and tracks from Gran Turismo®5, which has sold over 10 million copies since launching in 2010, will be retained in GT6. But notable new additions to the already impressive line-up of historic cars, road cars and the latest race cars, brings the total car list to 1,200 at launch, with new cars set to be continually added online. Several thousand aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars, and players can personalize their own custom cars in game to the greatest ever level possible.

The UK’s famous Silverstone Circuit will be just one of seven new locations in Gran Turismo 6, taking the total to 33, with 71 different layouts available, 19 of them brand new. There will also be regular additions of new tracks set to be made available online. The improved course maker function will provide gorgeous scenery spanning several tens of square kilometers including the magnificent backdrop of Andalucía.

The theme of Gran Turismo’s innovative collaborations with partner companies will increase with the inception of GT6. A number of exciting new projects that blur the line between the virtual and real will be announced in the run up to the game’s launch. Not least of these is GT Academy, a collaboration with Nissan to unearth real racing driver talent that first ran in 2008. It was announced during the event that the competition returns for its biggest ever year in 2013, with the entry mechanic set to take place on an exclusive GT6 demo in July.

Other notable partnerships in the development of GT6 have been with tire manufacturer Yokohama Rubber and suspension company KW Automotive. Both companies are active in the commercial car industry and in racing, and they have acted as technical development partners for the game’s new physics engine, for its tire and suspension kinematic modeling, creating an even more realistic experience for GT fans.

“It is amazing to think that it is 15 years since we first released Gran Turismo,” explained Kazunori Yamauchi, during the announcement at Silverstone Circuit. “Things have changed a lot since then and now Gran Turismo 6 is a further evolution of my dream. We’re pleased to deliver GT6 to PlayStation 3 as we have a very loyal community on that platform. However, we have refactored the game to make it very flexible and expandable, with a view to making many future developments. I am very pleased with everything about the new game and the new additions, but the launch will be only the beginning for GT6. The game will continue to develop throughout its life. I already have many ideas for things I want to achieve in the next 15 years of Gran Turismo!”

The celebration of 15 years of Gran Turismo event at Silverstone included a demo of GT6 featuring the famous circuit. Guests were able to play the game in the familiar circular Gran Turismo race pods before having a chance to take to the real track in cars provided by Audi, Ford, Jaguar, KTM, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and Toyota.

Further news about Gran Turismo 6 will be revealed at the forthcoming E3 and Gamescom events.

Cars featured on the GT6 Silverstone demo (* denotes new to Gran Turismo):

Acura NSX ’91, *Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale ’11, *Alpine A110 1600S ’68, *Audi Sport quattro S1 Rally Car ’86, Ferrari 458 Italia ’09, *Ferrari Dino 246 GT ’71, Ford GT ’06, *KTM X-BOW R ’12, Lamborghini Countach LP400 ’74, *Light Car Company Rocket ’07, McLaren MP4-12C ’10, *Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 ’11, Nissan 370Z (Z34) (GT Academy Version) ’08, Nissan 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy , Version) ’08, Nissan GT-R Black edition (GT Academy Version) ’12, *Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport, Nissan Leaf G (GT Academy Version), *Tesla Motors Model S Signature Performance ’12, Toyota 86 GT ‘12

Summary of new Gran Turismo 6 features announced by Kazunori Yamauchi:

New Game Engine

- Refactoring
- Compact, nimble operation
- Flexible expandability
- A new rendering engine that pushes the limits of the PS3

New Physics Engine

- New suspension and kinematics model
- New tyre model
- New aerodynamics model
- Technical partnership with Yokohama Rubber and KW Automotive

1,200 Cars, abundant custom parts, and on-going DLC

- From historic cars to the latest racing cars, the game contains a total of 1200 cars.
- Multiple aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars.
- Players can create their own personalised custom car in the game.
- Cars will be continually added online

33 locations, 71 layouts

- 33 Locations and 71 layouts will be provided from day1 (7 more locations and 19 more layouts than GT5).
- More new tracks will continue to be provided online

New Course Maker

- Massive scenery spanning several tens of square kilometers
- A new course generation algorithm

Community/Club/Race Organizer

- Players can form their own communities
- Various community levels from local and domestic to global
- Players themselves can create and manage their own online events

New User Interface

- Balancing directional key operation and touch operation
- Quick response
- Shortening of loading times

Multi Device Compatibility

- Playstation
- Smart Phone
- Tablet
- PC

At the same time as the PS3 version of GT6 the “Real Driving Simulator” launches, a mobile version and web application version of GT6, will be created to enjoy Gran Turismo’s massive community space.

Real/Virtual “Edge Effect” Activity

A variety of “Edge Effects”, the chemical reactions between the real world and the virtual world for which the Gran Turismo series is famous, are also planned for GT6. Exciting collaborations between various automotive manufacturers and collaborations with brands crossing different industries will be revealed gradually across the next six months.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Re: Gran Turismo 6

Postby [Q] on Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Wow. was not expecting this to be a PS3 release, thought it would be more PS4 territory, but then again i forget how long ago GT5 was released.

Phil89 wrote:But notable new additions to the already impressive line-up of historic cars, road cars and the latest race cars, brings the total car list to 1,200 at launch, with new cars set to be continually added online.

bonerific
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Thu May 16, 2013 4:51 pm

http://au.gamespot.com/news/sony-consid ... s4-6408412
Sony has a PlayStation 4 version of Gran Turismo 6 "in mind for the future," the company said today during a London event where the game was announced earlier this morning.

"We have a PS4 version in mind for the future" Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi told GameSpot.

"But for this holiday season we thought that it would be best for users to release the PS3 version," he added. "I thought the best scenario would be for the game to come out, and we're planning to have new content, and DLC every few months."

The PlayStation 3 version of Gran Turismo 6 is due out this holiday season. As for when a potential PS4 version could arrive, Yamauchi said it may not be for some time.

"Once the players have thoroughly played out the game, if the PlayStation 4 version just came out naturally in the process, we think that would be the best scenario for the game," he said.

Regarding whether or not player progress could be applied from the PS3 version to the PS4 version, Yamauchi said this would "probably" be the case.

Separately, Sony announced today that a demo for Gran Turismo 6 will launch in July. No further information about the pre-release trial was divulged.

So they just didn't want to wait for the PS4 to come out to release the game, I guess?

The thing I'm most looking forward to on this game is having the Bathurst track. It's gonna be fun doing online races there. :P
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 pm

well, in the past, they've released 2 GT games during the life of one console, and we know GT5 took a while to release for whatever reason so GT6 is coming on the tail-end of the life cycle of the PS3. It got to the point where they would either have to work on GT6 for PS4 and make people wait like they did with GT5, or just build off of GT5, crank one more out and worry about a GT7/PS4 later. With DLC & online features, they can extend the life of GT6 so they will have more time to work on a GT7 for PS4
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm

It sounds like what they'll do is "upgrade" 6 to the PS4 (better graphics, physics, etc.) down the road, probably include a bunch of the DLC and get you to buy it again. Then they won't go four years after launch to have a full Gran Turismo ready again. (GT3 for the PS2 was a major title within the first year despite the reduced content compared to 2, Prologue never really sold people like 3 did.)

Plus since there will be a lot more PS3s than PS4s they get to sell more copies in total across two platforms.

Then they can spend eight or nine years producing a 7 for the PS4 only.
benji

Postby Lamrock on Fri May 17, 2013 1:49 am

This is going to be epic, and when I mean "this", I mean the thread.

In all seriousness, I love Gran Turismo and will totally buy this. It seemed like GT5 was unfinished and I ultimately shelved it to some pretty absurd design decisions. However, I'm pretty concerned that this is just going to be the same game. Most of the cars will be "non-premium" and still use the same models from GT4, sticking out like a sore thumb. The number of tracks and feature list do little do suggest this will be a jump a la GT1 -> GT2 or GT3 -> GT4.

Maybe I'm just reeling from the GT5 disappointment, but I can't wait to start my B-Spec career after the game installs for four hours.
Lamrock

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Lamrock wrote:It seemed like GT5 was unfinished.

That's how I feel about the GT's released after GT 2. Haven't had a chance to play GT 5 yet.

Fixed. Basterd.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Fri May 17, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 pm

shadowgrin wrote:That's how I feel about the GTA's released after GTA 2. Haven't had a chance to play GTA 5 yet.

Nor have most people outside of Rockstar.
benji

Postby [Q] on Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
Lamrock wrote:It seemed like GT5 was unfinished.

That's how I feel about the GT's released after GT 2. Haven't had a chance to play GT 5 yet.

Fixed. Basterd.

GT4 was pretty solid if i remember right, but yeah i think GT2 is probably the game i had the most fun with in the series.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Yeah 4 was fun but it didn't had what I felt with 2 going from the first 1 of 'wow this is improved and much better than the previous one' instead of 'this is what the previous one should have been if they only finished all what they wanted'.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Yeah 4 was fun but it didn't had what I felt with 2 going from the first 1 of 'wow this is improved and much better than the previous one' instead of 'this is what the previous one should have been if they only finished all what they wanted'.

i totally agree with you but then again, you couldn't really say that for 1 & 2 because there were no previous GT games to compare it to. i remember doing a lot more rally racing in 2 and even in 4... it's a shame that rally racing seemed like an afterthought in gt5, as one of the special events alongside nascar and kart racing
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Qballer wrote:you couldn't really say that for 1 & 2 because there were no previous GT games to compare it to.

I was comparing 2 to 1.
3 to 2, and so on.

lol nascar. They should have just removed redneck racing I mean nascar in 5.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 pm

'this is what the previous one should have been if they only finished all what they wanted

i guess what i meant to say was that you couldn't say this about GT2 since #1 was the first and was a great game on its own. that is what makes 2 great because there was no let-down with 1 and so they were building on top of a game that was already good to begin with
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sat May 18, 2013 11:50 am

I have moved on to Forza, and unfortunately it isn't going to change because of this quote about GT6.
And here's the most casual-fan GT6 question I could have asked: What are you doing with car damage in this one? (You know, because Gran Turismo used to not have it, whereas you can smash cars up in rival series.) Answer: The rather pleasant producer tells me that it'll be similar to GT5. Polyphony isn't about smashing cars up. They like when people see the beauty of beautiful cars. They'd added some car damage effects in the previous game because people asked.

Forza does damage very nicely, scratches, deformation, but the best thing about it is having to pay for the repairs after. Its satisfying enough, unlike many cars in GT5, but oh shit enough from the repercussion standpoint.

That quote is from a Kotaku article that had these pictures in the comments.

They need some consistency in their lives.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phil89 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 pm

http://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauc ... mium-cars/
At the “15 Years of Gran Turismo” event which saw the announcement of Gran Turismo 6, GTPlanet joined a small group of other U.S. journalists to be among the first to ask Kazunori Yamauchi questions about Polyphony Digital’s new game.

We covered how GT6 will deal with the “Standard”/”Premium” car issue, the future of the Gran Turismo series on PlayStation 4, and a lot more.

Not all of the questions are my own, but what follows is a complete transcript of the interview session.

Can you explain the game’s new lighting engine in more detail?
It basically means the energy expressed in each one of the pixels is going to be represented more accurately. When the focus on the camera is on a certain item, the blurring and brightness of the area around it and how lights affect the environment will be rendered with more accuracy.

Is there going to be more car customization options? Are you going to be able to swap the engine or put decals on the car?
Both are technically possible, and we might be preparing it (laughs).

Will there be “Standard Cars” in GT6?
We won’t be making all the Standard cars from GT5 into Premium models, and we won’t make all of the GT5′s Standard cars fully “Premiumized”.

Up until now, we used to categorize them as Standard and Premium because there were functional differences between them: some of the Standard models might not have tuning parts, or couldn’t be used in Photo Mode. That will all be cleared so every model can be used in Photo Mode, and every car can have parts fitted for it.

In terms of graphics quality, the bad quality Standard models we’ve updated so they look better.

Will all of the cars have interior views?
No.

(Editor’s note: This apparently does not apply to all of the cars which were listed as “Standard” in GT5. For example, two cars which were prominently featured in the GT6 trailer and its first official batch of screenshots, the Lamborghini Countach LP400 and Alpine A110 1600S, both appeared as Standard cars in GT5 but have apparently been converted to “full” Premium models – with interiors – in GT6.)

While improving the physics model, how do you keep the game accessible to a wide range of players?
I’ve mentioned some of this before but we are improving a lot of the driver assist functions for GT6.

The other thing is that it’s sort of wrong to assume that making it more real will make it more difficult to drive. Everyone here, I am sure you all drive; it’s not that difficult – but people who can drive cars straight suddenly can’t drive in a video game! That’s because the reality isn’t really all there.

Now that we know GT6 is a PlayStation 3 game, can you explain to fans why that is? Do you have any plans for PS4?
We do have plans for PS4, but, of course, we have an order of things.

First we’ll be releasing the PS3 version for the PS3, which has a huge audience already, and we’ll be providing updates every month and DLCs every month.

Once players have played it all out and enjoyed themselves on the PS3, then the PS4 version might come out naturally around that time (laughs). Focus on enjoying the PS3 version.

What’s the reason for the dramatically shorter development time frame for GT6, compared to GT5?
GT5 was really hard to develop, because the PS3 is a really complex piece of hardware, and it was the first time we built anything with an extensive online component.

What was the most complicated thing about developing the first game, and what was the most complicated thing about developing GT6?
It’s hard to look back to GT1 now!

I think the hardest part of GT1 was to make something out of nothing, and to shape it and figure out exactly what a Gran Turismo game was going to be.

The main difference between GT1 and GT6 is the scale of the game, it’s about 100 times bigger in scale. Initially we had 15 people working on the game and now we have 150 working on the game. But i think the one thing that hasn’t changed is that everyone working on it really enjoys the hard work.

Are there other plans to bring the game’s GPS functionality to more real-world cars?
I can’t really talk about it today, but aside from just GPS, we have a lot of different things planned with different manufacturers. I can say you will see a lot of interesting things come up in the months ahead.

What’s the hardest element to re-create in the game: tire dynamics, suspension behavior, or aerodynamics?
That’s actually the three things that are really mystical about creating the physics in a car racing game. Actually the damper characteristics are one of the most difficult to re-create.

What is it like working with different manufacturers to get their cars in the game?
It’s been twenty years since we started developing the first GT, and it’s been 15 since the release of the first game.

We have a 20 year relationship with car manufacturers all over the world, and I think a lot of people who were involved with the first game in the series are still working at those companies today. Our relationships have become closer and closer, and that has given us a lot more access to the information and access to the automotive world.

Would be pretty cool if they added engine swapping. Though knowing their love of realism, I'd assume that putting a V16 engine in a Fiat wouldn't be allowed. :wink:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm

JaoSming wrote:I have moved on to Forza, and unfortunately it isn't going to change because of this quote about GT6.
And here's the most casual-fan GT6 question I could have asked: What are you doing with car damage in this one? (You know, because Gran Turismo used to not have it, whereas you can smash cars up in rival series.) Answer: The rather pleasant producer tells me that it'll be similar to GT5. Polyphony isn't about smashing cars up. They like when people see the beauty of beautiful cars. They'd added some car damage effects in the previous game because people asked.

Forza does damage very nicely, scratches, deformation, but the best thing about it is having to pay for the repairs after. Its satisfying enough, unlike many cars in GT5, but oh shit enough from the repercussion standpoint.

lol I thought Czar successfully converted you from a arcade guy to a sim guy :lol:

I think it was need for speed 2 or 3 or hot pursuit that i first played a game where you had to pay for your own damage which was actually a little fun although it would get tough when i don't have enough money to keep repairing after every race. it does make it more realistic and it keeps you from driving like a maniac or using your car as a torpedo to take out opponents. but i love my cars in GT honestly it would get to the point where i wouldn't race in cars so i wouldn't have to repair them. i'd rather keep racing and beating up my '92 honda civic than my '12 Lamborghini Aventador. my guess is that polyphony has that japanese thing where it's all about beauty and all that jazz

Will there be “Standard Cars” in GT6?
We won’t be making all the Standard cars from GT5 into Premium models, and we won’t make all of the GT5′s Standard cars fully “Premiumized”.

Up until now, we used to categorize them as Standard and Premium because there were functional differences between them: some of the Standard models might not have tuning parts, or couldn’t be used in Photo Mode. That will all be cleared so every model can be used in Photo Mode, and every car can have parts fitted for it.

In terms of graphics quality, the bad quality Standard models we’ve updated so they look better.

Will all of the cars have interior views?
No.

(Editor’s note: This apparently does not apply to all of the cars which were listed as “Standard” in GT5. For example, two cars which were prominently featured in the GT6 trailer and its first official batch of screenshots, the Lamborghini Countach LP400 and Alpine A110 1600S, both appeared as Standard cars in GT5 but have apparently been converted to “full” Premium models – with interiors – in GT6.)

so the standard cars' textures will be upgraded, but may or may not have an interior view depending on the car. the ones that will have interiors are obviously being upgraded to a premium car.

here's to hoping that the '02 or '04 STI will have an interior view so I will be able to know what it's like to drive my real-life car at 150 mph :cool:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 pm

I really dont see why they can't hi-res the interiors a bit for the PS2 cars and be not 100% accurate
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phil89 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 pm

phpBB [video]

My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 pm

:shock: wtf how do they make it look this good on a ps3? CGI?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm

how long has it been in development? there is your premium car answer.

Posted my wife's reaction on Twitter
"I thought you said GT6 was a PS3 game"
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 pm

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6- ... demy-2013/
During the Racer X competition finals at E3, Sony revealed the release date for the highly anticipated Gran Turismo 6 demo which will host this year’s GT Academy: Tuesday, July 2, 2013.

The demo will be available to download from the PlayStation Store. After speaking with an SCEA representative at E3, GTPlanet can independently confirm the demo will contain only Nissan cars, as they are obviously the sole sponsor of the competition.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby chicagoRAW on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:15 pm

GT5 graphics looked amazing from all the screens and videos. I was really hyped for it. Then when I got it it was a fail for me. Gameplay graphics were mediocre, handling wasn't to my liking and too many random menu options that I didn't care about. Ended up selling it after a couple of weeks, just wasn't interesting. For me, Forza has the better graphics and gameplay.

I wouldn't pay much attention to any of the graphics shown on this game.
chicagoRAW

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:39 pm

oh for frigs sake, can we have 1 Gran Turismo thread on the internet that doesn't turn into a Forza vs Gran Turismo shltfest.... please

Gran Turismo is more simulator (this is backed up by numerous racing professionals) Forza has better environment graphics and more customization options (backed up by dudes like me and you who own the game) true story, and end of it, lets discuss Gran Turismo

I'm expecting 6 to be everything that 5 was supposed to be, meaning no STANDARD cars
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:15 pm

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:I'm expecting 6 to be everything that 5 was supposed to be, meaning no STANDARD cars

Froza doesn't have standard cars :lol:

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:oh for frigs sake, can we have 1 Gran Turismo thread on the internet that doesn't turn into a Forza vs Gran Turismo shltfest.... please

were you a part of the previous GT5/Forza thread? There is no shitfest in the community, we just talk about them, compare them, enjoy them. Chill
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I'd prefer GT6 to have 600 premium cars, instead of the 200 premium and 800+ standard or whatever it is on GT5. Nobody needs or wants 50,000 Skylines.

What is stopping them from having 1200 premiums? How much disc space does each premium's graphics take up?

It doesn't make sense that Kaz would allow standard cars on his game, given how much of a perfectionist he seems to be.
My Stories
Phil89

Next

Return to Off-Topic