Generic TV Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Generic TV Thread

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Modern Family has been dilly-dally this season. Especially episodes like "Heart Broken", "Bad Hair Day" were very annoying. Gave me a cheap sitcom feeling- the reason I don't watch Big Bang Theory and stopped watching HIMYM after 4 seasons. But when a show has got a character like Phil Dunphy, it don't need much.

Community season 3 was just horrible, unwatchable. But after such a shitty season, season 4 seems to okay. Good so far and mostly back to its roots like seasons 1 & 2.

New Girl season 1 was great. Season 2 has been random. With some good eps and most average. But still, watchable mainly because of Schimdt.

The Following is exciting but has too many flaws but entertaining nonetheless. Arrow is good TV. But Person of Interest went onto another whole level from "Relevance" to me. Great.

Game of Thrones season 3 premiere was a bit disappointing. Let's see how it goes...

Currently Archer & Psych are the funniest shows on TV. Sad to see the first one ending.

And lastly, Hannibal is the new show of the season. Great, kinda reminds of the good times of Dexter.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:02 am

personally, i like learning about the drinks and making the drinks and seeing how a bar is run so i can judge bars when i go to them
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 pm

CLEVELAND SHOW IS DEAD

OUR LONG NATIONAL NIGHTMARE IS OVER
benji

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 pm

so does this mean Cleveland is going back to Quahog?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:15 pm

ABC has set a return date for cancelled comedy series Don’t Trust the B—- in Apt 23 — though the comedy’s last unaired episodes will be put up online, not on TV. Beginning May 17, the remaining eight episodes of the Krysten Ritter-starring series will be available on ABC.com, Hulu and iTunes.

:? At least we get to see them.
benji

Postby Cartar on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 am

Anybody else followed the first season of Go on? Have to agree with Benji, that it was pretty inconsistent at first, but later on it started to pick up more and more (there were some lackluster episodes in the end, but for the most of the second half of the season it was pretty good, not great, but good).
Cartar

Postby Leftos on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:04 am

Yeah, it's one of those shows that I can just watch and enjoy, without being too excited or disappointed.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 am

I was pretty excited as I liked Matthew Perry a lot. The show felt kinda like Chandler when he would be old and stuff.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Leftos on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 am

I just want to say that I fucking hated Courtney Cox's guest starring role.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:17 pm

haha...ya, and you may not be the only one. But I'm waiting for Matt Le Blanc to guest star one day. It will be fun though :D
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Leftos on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 pm

As much as I love LeBlanc, the comedic duo I still want to see on TV or film is Matthew Perry and Ryan Reynolds. They both have such comedic sync, that it could make for some amazing dialogues and back-and-forth. I'd absolutely love that.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm

If you want Matt LeBlanc, watch Episodes.

If you don't, watch Episodes.
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:27 am

Leftos, that would certainly be interesting to see. Don't know how you thought of them as a duo though. I never did just til reading your post. :P

benji, well...I had heard of it. Only reason I didn't watch it was because I just didn't like how Matt LeBlanc acted lately. You could see it in the later seasons(especially 10th) of Friends & the show Joey. It was a bit too "Joey". Anyway, I will give it a go.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Leftos on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:42 am

I just like them both for the very same reason. Their humor, the way they deliver their lines, and how they sync that delivery with the other characters.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby el badman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

Episodes is fucking awesome, go watch it, like right now.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Some rumors that Go On and Community might get renewed. Go On highly likely, Community 60/40.
SoF'nAwesome wrote:You could see it in the later seasons(especially 10th) of Friends & the show Joey. It was a bit too "Joey".

You really don't have to worry about that.

el badman wrote:Episodes is fucking awesome, go watch it, like right now.

We can call it "Pucks!"

Cartar wrote:Anybody else followed the first season of Go on? Have to agree with Benji, that it was pretty inconsistent at first, but later on it started to pick up more and more (there were some lackluster episodes in the end, but for the most of the second half of the season it was pretty good, not great, but good).

I think it really didn't know what to do outside Ryan early on. To copy everyone else in the world and compare it to Community, you saw that same focus on Jeff early on where everything had to revolve around him.

One thing that has hurt it in terms of consistency is the way the group changes. Characters will disappear for like four or five episodes and then suddenly get a B plot.

I can't deal with Piper Perabo* in other roles after Covert Affairs, especially after last season.

Call John Lithgow, tell him you're fucked!

*Does she dress herself on these shows? Maybe she just has terrible taste.
benji

Postby [Q] on Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 am

a surprisingly long article analyzing last night's episode of New Girl. Spoiler alert if you have not seen it yet
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9229790/new-girl-sitcom-one-true-pairing-problem?ex_cid=grantland33
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

Elementary, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Raising Hope, Veep all renewed (Y) (Y) (Y)

Arrow renewed.

Person of Interest renewed.

The Mindy Project renewed.

New Girl renewed.
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri May 03, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't quite get how Elementary is getting by. I just found it annoying after watching the first episode. And if anyone had seen the BBC show Sherlock, then I can't understand how they watch this. But I guess people have a thing for "extra-ordinary" minded shows. But I was happy enough with Mentalist and Sherlock every now and then.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Sat May 04, 2013 4:54 am

benji wrote:Some rumors that Go On and Community might get renewed. Community 60/40.

next week's episode is advertised as "graduation day". don't really know how they would continue on from there, but we will see what happens
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 am

Harmon intended to continue the show well past Greendale. The show was slowly getting away from it, the new writers just need Jim Rash to help carry the show this season that's why they probably haven't transitioned away so much as Harmon intended.
SoF'nAwesome wrote:I don't quite get how Elementary is getting by.

Great ratings and good team-up with Person of Interest and Big Bang Theory/Two Men to keep Thursdays on lock down for CBS. (Which also has drove NBC into the ground on their original triumphant night.)
And if anyone had seen the BBC show Sherlock, then I can't understand how they watch this.

Because they're different things. Just because they both deliberately adapt Sherlock Holmes doesn't mean they're exactly the same. Same for Sherlock-With-A-Twist shows like The Mentalist, Psych, Monk, Castle, etc.

For one thing, six 90 minute episodes over two years versus 24 40 minute episodes pumped out in 8 months. (And probably 26 next season, while Sherlock is going to do another 3 this year.)

I for one accept Elementary as a darker Monk more than anything specifically Sherlocky Holmes about it. Like a Bizzaro World Monk where after the first season instead of getting less serious and lighter in tone and bringing in Randy Newman it continued towards its dark and depressing aspects of the first season.
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 pm

That crack at UK shows never gets old. I don't know why there has to only one or two eps in every "series". Same goes for Luther and the other so many great shows. Anyway, will probably get to see Sherlock again in early 2014.

benji, did you watch the show [ Endgame]? Similar genre and I liked that a lot. But it got canceled because of whatever chooses for shows to get canceled. And in my opinion, it was far more better than Elementary.

Another question, [Defiance] - go or no-go?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby benji on Sat May 04, 2013 9:05 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:That crack at UK shows never gets old. I don't know why there has to only one or two eps in every "series".

It's not really a crack, just something that changes the setup of a show. It's why The Wire and Justified and most other cable shows don't need to do stories of the week and can mostly tell one overarching plot, while broadcast or more casual fare (USA) has to do otherwise. The difference in season lengths alone almost require this. Padding out 22-26 episodes inherently causes more content drift and require more reset buttons than 3 or 6 or 10 or even 13.

Also helps with reruns, syndication and comfort level for viewers.
benji, did you watch the show [ Endgame]? Similar genre and I liked that a lot. But it got canceled because of whatever chooses for shows to get canceled. And in my opinion, it was far more better than Elementary.

No, I will look into it.

I can't tell you what decides Canadian or British shows ending or continuing, they operate by seemingly different metrics. At times they seem to simply forget to make new seasons. I think this literally happened to a BBC show recently but I can't recall which, after like 18 months the creators called up and the BBC (or whoever) was all "oh, we completely forgot about you, guess it's too late now, sorry ol chap."
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu May 09, 2013 12:35 pm

benji wrote:At times they seem to simply forget to make new seasons. I think this literally happened to a BBC show recently but I can't recall which, after like 18 months the creators called up and the BBC (or whoever) was all "oh, we completely forgot about you, guess it's too late now, sorry ol chap."

That is just hilarious and painful at the same time.

So, watched Episodes. Great. First episode wasn't that great, but it built on. And the British/American mixture is the main factor of this show. Matt LeBlanc is on another level in my eyes now.

Now, I wish that other networks followed this unique blend.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby benji on Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 am

Parks renewed (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

Whitney cancelled (Y) (Y)
benji

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic