College Coach Pushes/Verbally abuses player on National TV

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

College Coach Pushes/Verbally abuses player on National TV

Postby bowdown on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 am

phpBB [video]

What do you think about that? I think the coach is a power hungry piece of shit. People say he has passion. I say he can take that passion to his wife and kids at home. If a coach got into my face like that I am not going to listen to him one bit. I am open to learning and improving in life but not when the other person talking to me is treating me like shit. This guy is hiding his hunger for power in the name of "passion".

The players dont stand up to him because they dont want to be kicked off the team.
bowdown

Re: College Coach Pushes/Verbally abuses player on National

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 am

A bit over the top but I was expecting something much worse given the thread title.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:19 am

Have you ever played on an elite level? You know..a NCAA tournament? They let the emotion of the game get away from them and it happens. They'll work it out later and everything will be cool.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:08 pm

:shock: That? Really? THAT is causing omg and shocking reactions? :shake:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby bowdown on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Perhaps you guys would be ok with your coach doing that to you as a grown man.
bowdown

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 pm

I was fine with that when I played in High School and College, especially if I turned my back on my coach while he was yelling. If it doesn't light a fire under your ass, or make you rethink how to play the game then go back to intramurals with participation ribbons.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby bowdown on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:37 pm

I have no problem with having a confrontation about a disagreement. I have seen Greg Popovic do that to his players and it looks just fine. This guy is way over the top and is in no way productive. That little push means a lot more than it looks, especially when the guy being pushed is structured to be under the power of the guy doing pushing. I just hate to see a grown guy being treated like that because he is already powerless to fully stand up/speak for himself. The coach getting in his face with all those obscenities like that is another thing too.

You would be ok with being treated like that? If that is what you consider teaching someone then I am sure you would be fine with being dealt with that way.
bowdown

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:27 pm

He's the idiot who walked away! He's not some grown up or a peer to the coach, he is the player, he is the coach's bitch, especially in college where there is no benefit/risk with playing. Don't like it? Quit. He wasn't "powerless" he could have walked off the court and into the locker room. No one forced him into anything. If he didn't want to get smacked or yelled at you do what every sports player is supposed to do, listen to the coach and don't be disrespectful by turning your back.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby bowdown on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah quitting would be so convenient. Not like it means anything to him. Watch that coach's antics on other players. He is just batshit crazy. Not just this time cause the guy "turned his back on him." Nothing that disrespectful happened anyways.

Let's just end this argument at this, you would let your coach push you and curse you out 2 inches from your face and I wouldnt.
bowdown

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:21 pm

When I saw the thread title:

"Sweet Bobby Knight is coaching again."

Turns out it's just concern for the children again.

JaoSming wrote:Don't like it? Quit. He wasn't "powerless" he could have walked off the court and into the locker room. No one forced him into anything.
bowdown wrote:Yeah quitting would be so convenient. Not like it means anything to him.

Jao's right. The player could just transfer to another school if he doesn't like it if it means playing college basketball to open up a future career path.

bowdown wrote:I have no problem with having a confrontation about a disagreement. I have seen Greg Popovic do that to his players and it looks just fine.
bowdown wrote:you would let your coach push you and curse you out 2 inches from your face and I wouldnt.

lol talk about a double standard.
Pop did that too especially at a young Tony Parker, which was right to do anyway since the french should be treated like dirt.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby bowdown on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:21 am

Ive already made my point. You would let a grown man handle you like that and I wouldnt. And whatever Popovic said to Parker was not done after physically crossing the line anyways.

And for those who would like want to know what was said

phpBB [video]
bowdown

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:40 am

we're acting like 20 is a grown ass man now? *sigh*

Look motherfuckers (this is aimed at the young and under 20ish and under population) Life is a bitch. It sucks. You will work for someone.
Like your job (aka having a paycheck for food and clothes and cancelled video games)? You may have to put up with shit like this if you DONT DO YOUR JOB AND TURN YOUR BACK ON YOUR BOSS. You are not a special little snowflake. Sit your ass down, shut the fuck up, and do your job. If things get heated you know what a man does? He fucking takes it, you both walk away for a bit, and you discuss it later "hey man, that was uncool." If its your boss, you file a complaint with HR. If you're an athlete? Sorry you're your coaches bitch. Im not saying the coach is faultless, he overreacted. But the player was being an entitled little dick about it. you do NOT walk away from your coach, no matter how pissed he is.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Jackal on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 am

You're missing the point. Bowdown is a man and you guys arent. Thats all.
Jackal

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 am

bowdown wrote:You would let a grown man handle you like that

I didn't say I would.
I just agreed with Jao's stance that if I were in a position like that player to have a psycho coach I have the freedom to choose the option of quitting the team and transfer to different school that has the need for my athletic skills and talents where hopefully the new coach will tap me on the ass for every play even if it's a bad play just to encourage my fragile entitled ego and to tuck me in at night and read me bed time stories while touching my privates.

bowdown wrote:I wouldnt.

So if you were that player what would you do at that exact moment?
What would your actions be during or after that exchange?
Enlighten us please instead of ranting that you wouldn't let that happen to yourself.

phpBB [video]

OMG GREGG POPOVICH PUSHED GROWN MAN NBA PLAYER TONY PARKER THRICE AND ALSO SLAPPED HIM! BAN POP FROM THE NBA!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby koberulz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:37 am

There's a significant difference between yelling at a player, and yelling at a player less than an inch from that player's face for over a minute.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby bowdown on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 am

So if you were that player what would you do at that exact moment?
What would your actions be during or after that exchange?
Enlighten us please instead of ranting that you wouldn't let that happen to yourself.

OMG GREGG POPOVICH PUSHED GROWN MAN NBA PLAYER TONY PARKER THRICE AND ALSO SLAPPED HIM! BAN POP FROM THE NBA!

My reaction would be to directly tell him who the fuck told him to touch me and I would not let him get 2 inches from my face after that push. I cant talk about what my actions would be after the altercation because that involves many variables including how I have interacted with the coach other times and I would also think about what I did wrong myself.

And you can clearly see the Tony Parker and Pop interaction is not the same. Yeah there is physical contact and close-up yelling but it is not of the same nature. The way Parker is reacting shows that he understands Pop is trying to get him to learn and his physical contact is not meant to be disrespectful but more to get him going. They both have an understanding of how the other perceives their actions to be.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:08 am

For what it's worth, the coach was suspended for a game and took responsibility for his actions, which is only appropriate on both counts. Again, I would agree that he took things too far, he let his emotions get the better of him and for that he should be reprimanded and accept responsibility for what he did, which is exactly what has happened. Like I said though, when I saw the thread title, I was expecting to see something much worse.

Now, if incidents like this continue to occur, then I'd suggest he be relieved of his duties as that would suggest he's clearly not cut out for coaching.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

koberulz wrote:There's a significant difference between yelling at a player, and yelling at a player less than an inch from that player's face for over a minute.

Yeah but that college player kept talking too even when the coach was in the huddle with the other players and no one here knows what the player said and it may have made the coach get on his face repeatedly because of that.

bowdown wrote:I cant talk about what my actions would be after the altercation because that involves many variables including how I have interacted with the coach other times and I would also think about what I did wrong myself.

Exactly.
Same way people should stop crying like babies because they don't know themselves what kind of interaction the player and the coach have had over the years (or months) they were together.
Maybe it's a thing for them to cuss out at each other during practice and non-televised games then be cool the next day, maybe it's not. Deal is no one really knows except those with the team...
bowdown wrote:They both have an understanding of how the other perceives their actions to be.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby JaoSming on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Dc311 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:10 pm

What a dick-hole.
Dc311
"F@*K YOU WHALE!!!F@*K YOU DOLPHIN!!!"
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Eric Murdock, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. In any event, good for him for coming forward. No excuse for that whatsoever, there's no way Mike Rice should be coaching basketball. Shame on Rutgers for letting him keep his job after a slap-on-the-wrist three game suspension. Disgraceful.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:06 pm

ixcuincle

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm

[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I see he's now been fired, though it's still disturbing that it took the video to go public for that action to be taken.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

BTW he is the son of the crazy Portland Trailblazers color commentator everybody hates. Mike Rice Sr.
bowdown

Next

Return to Off-Topic