Generic TV Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Generic TV Thread

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:54 pm

honestly, i have issues about certain directions the plot has taken in HIMYM but it's still better than a lot of shows out there
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 am

Last Resort's second episode was a bit of a downgrade, pacing issues, still good though. (Ratings are shit. Apparently the entire season will air no matter what because of the deal made for it.)

Elementary is still awesome.

The Mindy Project's second episode was good enough that I'll give it maybe two more before I decide.

Vegas second episode was much improved, really leaning towards going in on a full season order. I really really really hope they're using these "case of the weeks" to setup ongoing threads for later ala Justified/Terriers/etc. They're strongly suggesting so but I don't know if they truly mean it. (Then again, I didn't know they'd serialize at the start of those shows either.) Apparently The Good Wife did, so CBS allows it. Heard some stuff about Person of Interest as well.
benji

Postby benji on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Good news for Community fans:
The Friday debuts of Community and Whitney are on hold indefinitely. Both were originally scheduled to premiere on Friday, October 19. No decision yet on when they will air

NBC sayz:
“Given the success we’ve had for the past four weeks – including winning the first week of the season in A18-49 — we’ve decided to continue to concentrate our promotional strength on our new NBC shows that are scheduled Monday through Wednesday and have therefore decided to hold Community and Whitney from their previously announced premieres of October 19th. Without having to launch these comedies on Friday at this time, we can keep our promotion focused on earlier in the week — plus we will have both comedies in our back pocket if we need to make any schedule changes on those nights. When we have a better idea of viewing patterns in the next few weeks, we will announce new season premieres of Whitney and Community.”
benji

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:41 pm

this is still the last season for Community anyways, right?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Technically no.

30 Rock and The Office are the only ones guaranteed to end this year.
benji

Postby benji on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 am

Arrow is pretty good folks.

I think that's the last new show I've had banked or interest in. Until mid-season anyway.

Will probably ramble about the returning stuff shortly...
benji

Postby Justine. on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:34 am

Yea, Arrow is good. I'm watching it too. Can't wait for January to come for the new season of Suits. Started watching Psych and I'm totally hooked.
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby benji on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 pm

benji wrote:The fun part will be when Whitney Cummings gets two terrible shows yet again next season and New Girl is also on the air while this and Cougar Town are gone.

WRONG

Three: http://www.eonline.com/shows/love_you_mean_it
benji

Postby benji on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 pm

How about some mid-season/post-summer-season grades, don't mind if I do...

Anything cancelled is underlined.

New Shows:
The Mindy Project (FOX) - F ... If you took 5% of this show you could maybe make a decent show out of it. First step is getting rid of the lead character and the actress portraying her.
Go On (NBC) - C ... Horribly inconsistent but decent enough overall.
Homeland (Showtime) - A ... A belated score for the first season since I watched it after the last scores and before the second season started. Not done with second yet...

Finished Returning Shows
Wilfred (FX - 2nd) - B ... Best finales in the sitcom business.
Louie (FX - 3rd) - B
The League (FX - 4th) - C ... Seemed lost at the start of the season, recovered solidly down the stretch but seems to be drifting slowly.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX - 8th) - A ... Should stand and bow.
Boss (Starz - 2nd) - A
Burn Notice (USA - 6th) - C ... Revitalized itself this season and was headed to A territory until that long dragging collapse at the end of the season there. And who wants Patton Oswalt involved in anything?
Covert Affairs (USA - 3rd) - A ... Completely re-invented itself into a darker and more intense serial and found the reason it exists in the process. Job well done, can't believe I'd ever be eagerly anticipating a new season.
Royal Pains (USA - 4th) - B
Bar Rescue (Spike - 2nd) - B
Project Runway (Lifetime - 10th) - F
Episodes (Showtime - 2nd) - B
South Park (Comedy Central - 16th) - C

Still Airing Returning Shows
Castle (ABC - 5th) - B
The Middle (ABC - 4th) - A ... Unstoppable in its consistency and execution.
Modern Family (ABC - 4th) - C ... Speaking of which, splitting your show amongst two showrunners who never speak to each other can derail what's a quite good series.
Suburgatory (ABC - 2nd) - B
Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 (ABC - 2nd) - A
30 Rock (NBC - 7th) - B
The Office (NBC - 9th) - C ... I almost gave this an A just because of the lack of Andy Bernard.
Parks and Recreation (NBC - 5th) - A
Suits (USA - 2nd) - A ... GOT. DAMN.
White Collar (USA - 4th) - B
Necessary Roughness (USA - 2nd) - B
The Cleveland Show (FOX - 4th) - F
The Simpsons (FOX - 24th) - D
Family Guy (FOX - 11th) - D
American Dad (FOX - 8th) - A
Bob's Burgers! (FOX - 3rd) - A
Childrens Hospital (Adult Swim - 4th) - A
NTSF:SD:SUV:: (Adult Swim - 2nd) - B ... Kate Mulgrew continues to make up for Captain Janeway's crimes.
Futurama (Comedy Central - 7th) - C
benji

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm

why was B in Apt 23 cancelled?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 pm

More people watch JaoSming's YouTube channel.

It's not officially cancelled yet, it just has zero chance of being renewed.
benji

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:53 pm

i don't know, i kinda dig it. i love JVDB's character. it's great.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Well, I like it more than "great" which is why I gave it an A. But I don't have a lot of say in the TV world what with this, Cougar Town, Boss, Terriers, Arrested Development, etc.
benji

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Watched the Thanksgiving episode of Shameless...I've never seen an episode before.

What. The. Fuck. Did I watch? By far one of the funniest, sad, weird, depressing, random, fucked up, happy, scary, warm, and just jaw dropping 50 minutes of a TV show I've ever seen.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 pm

i love shameless. william h macy plays a great dead-beat dad and emmy rossum is smoking hot. season 3 starts in a week, so you have time to catch up!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 pm

I honestly do not think I could handle more of that show than 1 episode a week. Maybe its wife/baby/psychology knowledge/working with suicidal and depressed people/just being older, but fuck, my mind is still fucked.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 am

yeah it's a pretty fucked up show so i see what you mean but i would suggest watching it.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am

Yeah, Shameless is something else. And Emmy Rossum is certainly :hump:
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Leftos on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am

I don't mind a bit product placement, especially when it's done right (see 30 Rock), but The Office S09E11 is just unwatchable due to it. It takes up so much of the episode, the lines are forced, the acting is forced, everything is just ...bad. As if not having Steve Carrell wasn't bad enough. I guess they have to make some last money out of it before throwing it in the can. But if they were trying to make people give up on this last season early, they definitely got me to do so.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Leftos wrote:I don't mind a bit product placement, especially when it's done right (see 30 Rock), but The Office S09E11 is just unwatchable due to it. It takes up so much of the episode, the lines are forced, the acting is forced, everything is just ...bad. As if not having Steve Carrell wasn't bad enough. I guess they have to make some last money out of it before throwing it in the can. But if they were trying to make people give up on this last season early, they definitely got me to do so.

What product placement? I don't even remember anything.

And you just happened to the pick the NINE / ELEVEN episode to complain about an AMERICAN sitcom...
benji

Postby benji on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Another few ended for the season shows:
Cougar Town (TBS, 5th) - A ... I wavered between B and A, eventually deciding that they lost nothing in the transition to TBS, so they should keep it.
Car Lot Rescue (Spike, 1st) - D ... I'm assuming this is cancelled, they had an eight episode trial run fraught with problems before it ever aired. And it never expanded its scope.

Don't Trust The Bitch is "officially dead" I believe the last episodes might find there way out there ala Kitchen Confidential. (Online or DVD/BluRay) I was tempted to bump 30 Rock up but there were aspects of the final season so...maybe. Suits and White Collar keep their grades.

And another few that's returned:
Bar Rescue (Spike, 3rd) - B
Community (NBC, 4th) - C ... Ask me after each episode though...
Psych (USA, 7th) - A

I'm going to bump Family Guy up ever so slightly to a temporary C, let's see if they can keep it. Considered it for The Simpsons as well. Maybe I'm turning into a big softee. Modern Family has given some great episodes but also horrific ones. Gloria and Manny and Cam are insufferable. If Cam wasn't attached to the House Flip plot... So leave it at a C. Also to note because deliberations are ongoing. The Mindy Project might be bumped up to a D.

The Middle and Bob's Burgers have not only justified but doubly earned their A's.
benji

Postby el badman on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 am

I agree that Cam and Manny can be pretty fucking annoying. Still think the show has been consistently solid though.
Bob's Burgers is awesome, I didn't know wtf I was watching at first but it has quickly become the best animated show during that Sunday night slot (which is not always tough considering how hit or miss FG and the Simpsons have been).
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:33 pm

I really like watching bar rescue, but there's not many differences between each episode. they stick to the formula very closely (and probably for good reason... it works)

I have to say New Girl is easily one of my favorite shows that's been on this year so far... It's like a reverse Three's Company (which i also loved) and their character development has been very good. Most shows have one star and make the show revolve around them, but they've managed to keep the focus off Zooey Dechanel for the most part and highlight each character in the show. They've had a really good run with Nick this season who they seemed to neglect until the end of the first season. Plus, the storylines are seamless... a lot of sitcoms have the season premiere and finale and a bunch of filler episodes in the middle (ahem, HIMYM), but they've kept the story going and added some filler in there too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Agreed, New Girl is a badass show.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:40 pm

I only ever watched the first episode of New Girl, and the horrific promotion of it FOX does did done turned me off, and the first episode sucked.

This goes against all my rules about watching new shows. As I even let Whitney have three episodes. And now I'm hearing everywhere New Girl evolved ala Cougar Town into an ensemble show that's good. (Happy Endings and, I think, The Neighbors are others getting similar evolution praise.) So maybe I should go back to a few of these when the spring/summer/etc. lulls hit.
el badman wrote:I agree that Cam and Manny can be pretty fucking annoying. Still think the show has been consistently solid though.

Really? I think its inconsistency has been the most obvious aspect of the last two seasons. I started noticing it last season how episode to episode it was seeming disconnected with themes, style, ongoing plots and such. Then I read how it's basically being produced and written by two separate teams because its creators have been feuding since season one ended and I'm having like a 90% success rate figuring out which it is within the first few minutes of every episode. If the Dunphey's weren't so dominant no matter who writes them I might have bailed out if I wasn't routined into the show.
Bob's Burgers is awesome, I didn't know wtf I was watching at first but it has quickly become the best animated show during that Sunday night slot (which is not always tough considering how hit or miss FG and the Simpsons have been).

I've bumped it ahead of American Dad as top favorite just because it's not a Seth MacFarlane production. But I think it's actually even been better than American Dad this season and part of the last.

Everyone I've gotten to actually watch it has fallen in love, its sensibilities are so different from almost everything else. In some respects, it's a reworked KOTH. And it understands the importance of the essential nature of characters as that show did. And you could also theoretically film it live action.
Qballer wrote:I really like watching bar rescue, but there's not many differences between each episode. they stick to the formula very closely (and probably for good reason... it works)

I almost knocked it down to a C but they've done more "bar science" this season than last. I don't particularly care for the drama and fighting aspects of these shows unless it's done like on Tabitha's [Salon] Takeover. It's one reason I never took to Kitchen Nightmares US even though I love Hell's Kitchen US, Kitchen Nightmares UK was so much about the entire scope of the business that the US version seems like it's ignoring 2/3rds of the problems. (I won't discuss the production differences which makes the US version and many US shows of the same type seem over the top and entirely unserious.) This stuff is one of the reasons I've always considered the Salon Takeover iteration (less so the Takeover, but Tabitha is still one of the better hosts for this thing, like Ramsay and Jon and Robert Irvine (also talk about staged over the top) and Anthony Melchiorri are) to be almost the only non UK Kitchen Nightmares perfect executions of the format. Even if maybe the topic interests nobody including myself. Early early Bar Rescue seemed to be going down this path, but they've ramped up the drama factor, especially since Piratz. Jon's firing someone or making them quit every week. (And it seems like nobody of any importance, I seem to remember him firing a head chef in the first season.)

Bar Rescue has gotten back to some of this after skipping it a lot last season, even if a lot of it is mostly so Jon can promote the new show partners.
benji

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic