Rudy Gay Traded to Raptors, Grizzlies Get Ed Davis

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Rudy Gay Traded to Raptors, Grizzlies Get Ed Davis

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:30 pm

benji wrote:What the fuck at that article, did Woj have a stroke?

Nope. Just good old fashioned Haterade...
Levien is making these deals based largely on the recommendations of John Hollinger, a statistician who worked for a cable sports company. The San Antonio Spurs once used him as a consultant and regretfully took his advice to sign a free agent named Jackie Butler. It was such a disaster, the Spurs had to attach Luis Scola to a trade to get Butler out of town.

As if a basketball 'expert' who happens to be a sports 'journalist' for an internet website is better than a statistician who worked for a cable sports company who's the worldwide leader in sports. Pot calling kettle black.

Woj does good work though...
Wiki wrote:Wojnarowski has been criticized for his use of anonymous sources in articles concerning NBA player Lebron James. Other writers have noted an apparent bias towards James in Wojnarowski's reporting. For his loss of objectivity in covering Lebron James, Adrian Wojnarowski was listed #1 in Sports Media Watch's Worst of Sports Media 2010.

You gotta be really good to beat Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless to be #1.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:46 am

Woj is far from anything like John Hollinger who relies heavily on numbers. He's bit more opinionated but his articles still are well articulated and fun to read, though I think he's bit off with this one, especially on the notion that Gay is some sort of a superstar caliber player and that the Grizzlies blew up the championship team.

Some are saying this move came too early(incl. woj) as the Grizzlies were doing well but it's no surprise because John Hollinger being a statistician, probably hated Gay's game.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Its_asdf on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:56 pm

I dislike this trade. Ed Davis was looking promising as a big prospect (either that or Raptors fans like myself have major beer goggles after watching Bargnani play the 4). The Raptors also have about 17 mill tied up in Gay, another 10 for Demar, another 7 for Fields and another 10 for Bargnani next season.. That's throwing a whole lot of money for mediocrity. Colangelo has been known for his quick band-aid fixes and seems exceptionally trigger happy now that his job is on the line.

In terms of Gay himself, he's looked nice along side Demar these past couple of games. It's quite weird how Gay is essentially a more talented version of Demar which makes them fairly redundant on offence but the lanes seem a lot more wide open recently to allow both of them to slash to the rim. Most of that can probably be attributed to Jose's 20 seconds or more offence that was so exciting to watch these past few seasons though.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby NovU on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 am

Seems like the Grizzlies have been doing just fine without Gay. It seems like they don't miss Gay penetration and Gay backdoor cuts that much. :rimshot:

As for the Raptors, they aren't doing too bad either but I can't stop laughing at the notion that Gay became the best player instantly for the Raptors in more positive ways than not. The Raptors already were an OK team when Barfnani was injured. As benji said $40(over) mil tied to DeRozan, Gay, and Barfnani is big a concern down the road.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:41 pm

NovU wrote:Seems like the Grizzlies have been doing just fine without Gay. It seems like they don't miss Gay penetration and Gay backdoor cuts that much.

Because they have superstar Austin Daye tearing it up.
NovU wrote:As for the Raptors, they aren't doing too bad either but I can't stop laughing at the notion that Gay became the best player instantly for the Raptors

Amir Johnson and Kyle Lowry are still on the team. Jonas Valanciunas too.

Gay's used the green light to jack shots like crazy for close to 40 minutes, but he's not making them.
benji

Postby NovU on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:39 am

Makes me wonder why the Pistons were benching Daye. I thought he had good upside to develop. (I was first to pick him up from Waivers in fantasy league only to drop him shortly later because he wasn't getting minutes.) He only plays about 10 bench minutes for the Grizzlies but he can certainly play. I think the Pistons had good reasons to play him more as they weren't getting much from most of the roster anyways.

As for the Grizzlies, it seems their defense has improved with Prince while their offense has suffered a minor setback. But they've been winning despite the loss yesterday. The thing is they weren't a championship team to begin with with Gay. Without Gay, they probably still are not but there are indication the team actually has improved, proving a lot of ESPN sportswriters wrong.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:31 am

It was noted during the game against the Heat yesterday that they're shooting the ball better and assisting on more of their field goals since the trade, so offensively speaking they're still making things work.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Part of that, especially the assist one, is kinda to be expected when you subtract a black hole that uses a quarter of possessions.

A high % of baskets being assisted can also be a sign of a bad offense though. (See: The Kidd Nets)
benji

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball