Daniel Diary Season 2 - Still a Rocket

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: The Daniel Diary - Season 2

Postby Alphasim on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 am

We now return you to Round One of the NBA Playoffs, with your host, Rick Daniel of the Houston Rockets.

*ahem*

After that excruciating game one loss, I had to regroup. My shot wasn't falling in practice at all and I was struggling in scrimmages so I didn't know how effective I was going to be in game two. I had a plan however, for how I felt I could best help the team: I was going to re-double my efforts as a role player. I'm not nearly the highest-rated player on my team, we have the league MVP and I'm not even playing my natural position because we have someone better than me playing it. That told me that I needed to step back from the limelight. We don't need me to be the star. We don't even need me to be the Scottie Pippen/James Harden of our team. We need me to not do what I did at the end of the last game - cost us a win. That I can do.

With this new-found focus on not failing, we won game two pretty handily. I only scored 7 points but I only took five shots. I also didn't turn the ball over and has two assists and two rebounds. We won but it was deflating to my ego.

The next game, with the series tied 1-1 was in Minnesota and I again went full-out role player. I finished with 13 points, but four of those came on end-of-game free throws to ice the win. Again I didn't turn the ball over and I notched 1 board and 1 assist but... do you remember when I said last post that my confidence was rattled? It's absolutely shattered at this point.

Most frustratingly, Brandon Roy is having his way with me. He's just too big and athletic for me to guard. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

No, actually, I know just what I'm going to do.

I ran through a series of scrimmages and shootarounds before the next game, getting myself back into shape. When game four rolled around I wasn't feeling quite as good as I thought I ought to but my desire to be Role Player #3,521 was gone. I was going to go all-out.

The practice paid off. Not only was my shot back in full force but I was a step quicker on defense and got a career high two blocks.

I had my handle back as well as I ran up the score with a game-high 17 points, to go with 3 rebounds, 2 assists and the aforementioned 2 blocks on 50% shooting (7-14 overall, 3-6 from range).

I got Player of the Game honors and we won! Yes!

I'm so pumped - we're going to the next round!! WOO! We all danced on the floor and got ready to see... who... what?

What do you mean, there's another game against Minnesota, back in Houston? We won! We... oh. Math has conspired against me. 2 road wins plus 1 home win does not equal 4 total. Dammit. Ok, back to Houston.

(on the floor for game five) "Ok, so I can't count! I can still shoot, so isn't that what matters? Gimme a break!"

I started the game with a mid-range jumper and an assist to Kevin Martin for a three, but my mark, Brandon Roy, scored the first 10 points for Minnesota. I mentally noted that and decided to see if I could keep him down the rest of the game.

I shot well this game, scoring 21 points on 8-12 shooting (3-4 from long distance) but I'm most proud of my six assists - most of them to K-Mart who went on to score 31 in a rout. The best part though, was that after that 10-point spurt to start the game, Roy only had four more the rest of the way. Ha!

Ok, now how many wins was that again? How many did we need? Are we moving on now, for real this time? We are? Good. God, I hate math.

Unfortunately I still don't know who we're playing. The Warriors led the Nuggets, three games to two last I saw but that series wasn't decided when I came to post this. What was decided though, was that I had Style.

Yeah, nice, huh? I'm ready for the conference semi-finals now. Are you?
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary Season 2 - QUESTION

Postby Alphasim on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 pm

It's the Conference Semis so let's see who we're facing. Oh, it's the Denver Nuggets. Nice.

Oh! Oh, oh! Do you see what I see? I'm going head up against Andre Miller, another point playing out of position. I should be able to run amok this series.

Game one did see allot of that, with me netting 11 points, 1 board and 1 assist on better than 50% shooting in the first half.

The second half saw the Nuggets lock me down with double teams so I picked up the passing, finishing up the game with 22 points 2 rebounds and 7 assists and my first Great game rating.

I came out fired up in game two. Halftime saw me with only eight points, but five assists.

I coasted the 2nd half big-time, and only finished with 12 points, 1 board, 6 assists and a steal. We're off to Denver now with a 2-0 series lead.

I wasn't passing well in game three but I again had 11 points at the half, where we trailed 38-34. It was around this point that I realized I was being too lazy and we needed someone to step up if we were going to win. K-Mart seemed aggressiveness and Lin was deferring to me so I tried to carry us to a win.

Here you can see me hitting a jumper to put us up two with under 10 seconds to go in regulation. I did it, I hit a late go-ahead basket! It didn't last though as Ty Lawson tied it up and I missed a buzzer beater to win. In overtime neither team could make much headway and I inexplicably went ice cold.

With my shot dead in the water and no one wanting the game badly we tied again and went to our second overtime. This was to be the last as, with under 30 seconds I got a rebound and passed the ball ahead to Martin who hit a three to put us ahead for good. I finished with 25 points but no boards and only 1 assist. Worse, it took me 22 shots to get those points. I usually only take about 10 or 15.

I wanted no part of a repeat of game three, so game four saw me stepping on the gas early and never letting up. Andre Miller apparently was eating buttered popcorn before the game as I stole the ball from him twice and knocked it out of his hands about five more times.

You know how, sometimes you just know it's your night? This was my cue. I forced up a lousy shot over Corey Brewer here...

... which clanged harmlessly off the rim.

Lucky for me, the bounce came right back into my hands.

With Brewer now completely out of position, let's try this again.

Money. I finished with 25 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and a block on 10-15 shooting. If you're counting, that's the same amount of points as last game but on seven fewer shot attempts.

That's that! We're off to the Conference Finals, where we'll either see OKC or Memphis. Part of me wants nothing to do with OKC, since they have the numbers 3 and 4 scorers in these playoffs (you can probably guess who they are), but then again, we have numbers 1 and 2 - Martin and myself. We will see.

Real quick; who would everyone prefer I faced, if I had a choice? What would be a more entertaining matchup?
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary Season 2 - Conference Finals!

Postby Alphasim on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

For anyone wishing for a matchup of the top four scorers in the playoffs, a Durant/Kevin "MVP" Martin matchup, and me chasing James Harden everywhere, I have sad news.

On the other hand, for those that like to hear stories of me torching a lesser team, hey - you're in luck.

I was patient this game. I hit our first two shots but played within the offense didn't force my hand until we only had about 5 seconds on the clock until halftime, when I calmly nailed this three to beat the buzzer.

I scored effortlessly since Randy Foye couldn't keep up with me or make me work on defense (similar to Andre Miller last series). I held him to 4 points on 2-6 shooting, so even though Rudy Gay had a game-high 22, as the only Grizzly in double figures he couldn't carry them to a win.

I, on the other hand had 19 points and we had two others in double digits: Martin with 17 and Lin with 12. I also finished with 1 rebound, 2 assists and no turnovers on 8-10 shooting. Even my lackluster math skills (see about two posts ago) tells me that's a clean 80% from the field.

So... with us up 1-0 after this clobbering (we won by 25) this doesn't look like the most promising series, excitement wise. Sorry 'bout that. :wink:
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:31 am

Game two is in the books, so let's get a look at it.

Conley sent me this tweet after the 1st game. Apparently he doesn't remember our 25 point beat-down of his Grizz in that game.

Game two didn't start well, though. I missed my first three shots and Memphis took an early lead. I also turned the ball over, leading to a Foye fastbreak.

I atoned for my mistake quite well, I think.

I was hoping this would fire us up but it didn't. We ended the half trailing 40-30, and I only had two points. K-Mart led us with just 10, so someone would have to get hot.

No dice. To be honest this seemed like an old-fashioned screw job by the game. I don't normally call that but we could do no right for 3 1/2 quarters, while the Grizzlies could do no wrong. I had four points entering the fourth quarter when I decided, y'know what? I don't care if the game wants to screw me. I want to win more.

I absolutely went off in the 4th, scoring 12 points in 5 minutes. I carried us on offense but our defense was being diced up with ease. I hit a jumper and a layup on our last two possessions to tie the game and our D held for once.

We're going to OT! They would take a 2 point lead, we'd tied, they'd go up two again, and so on. This continued until we fouled Zach Randolph at the rim for an and-one, putting them up three.

Martin hit a three to bring us back to even late in the period. He shot just 2-7 from deep and only scored 6 points in the 2nd half and overtime. We were tied with 30 seconds left but Gay hit a tough shot to put Memphis up two. Lin took an inbounds pass at mid court with under 15 seconds to try and tie the game. I sliced to the rim and called for a pass, and got it. Time was running out (5... 4... 3....) and I pump faked instead of shooting. WHAT?! SHOOT, YOU FOOL! (2... 1...) I tossed up a layup quickly that sat on the rim for half a second before falling off.

I had no answer for the press after the game. After entering the 4th with 4 points I finished 20, but only 1 assist. That's not for lack of trying, mind you - no one was hitting anything, making it nigh impossible to net an assist.

After the game Conley chimed back in on Twitter. Wait - between this and the pre-game tweet, did the game actually warn me that it was going to burn us??

Do you remember how I ended last post apologizing for this being an excitement-free series? Yeah. About that.
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 am

Good read mate. Making good use of the features of the game mode too (Y)

Hopefully you can come back and silence Conley!
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm

It's game three in Memphis now. Let's get it on!

I didn't get in the swing of this things early, missing a few shots. I was fortunate, then, that we had a balanced attack and the rest of the team picked up the slack.

I got allot of burn in the 4th quarter and I used that the pad my stats. I scored a solid 10 in the final frame to finish with 15 in a 14 point win. Now to game four.

This time, rather than trying to get my teammates going early I wanted to make sure I got off to a solid start.

I ended the first quarter shooting 2-2 with 2 assists. I was actually feeling really confident, so the Grizz were in trouble. The first half ended and I had 10 points on 5-6 shooting.

My shot went AWOL in the 4th quarter. I entered it shooting 80% from the field with 15 points, but left it shooting 66% with 22 points.

Not that it much mattered. I actually didn't even attempt a three this game - a first in quite some time. In fact, I was just so awesome...

... that I apparently crashed Twitter. Oops, sorry guys!

Time for game five, back in Houston.

I was psyched - I wanted to end this NOW. I'm ready for the NBA Finals. I'm tired of this pretense. Let's go, Memphis; let's see what you have left.

As it turned out, they didn't have allot. I shot just 50%, scoring 13 points but we had four players in double figures, led by - of all people - Tony Douglas.

BAM! NBA Finals, here we come! We walloped the Grizzlies in game five, and we're movin' on. I have a little, I don't know what you would call it... a lucky streak? I have a hot streak going that I don't want to jinx yet, even though I want to tell you guys. I'll share it after the finals. Let's just say that I'm not leaving anything to charity.

We're either getting the Bulls or Pistons in the Finals. Who would you prefer??

Oh, by the way - Twitter's back on line. The best part? No Michael Conley.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 am

Just wanted this out there now: I'm thinking of leaving Houston the first chance I get. Why? For a new challenge, and to be The Man for a change. If I remember 2K12 correctly, I can flee after year three. I do intend to bring a championship to my team first, though (unlike another player from Akron). My biggest hurdle is that despite how well I play on some days, I'm still only rated about 77 so I probably won't be able to carry a team on my own.

So, here's the question: is this a good idea, or a plan doomed to fail?
Alphasim

Re: The Daniel Diary Season 2 - It's the NBA Finals!!

Postby Alphasim on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

It's the NBA Finals everyone! Let's go!!

Looks like we're in Chicago. I'm not looking forward to playing them, honestly. With Noah and Boozer patrolling the paint and Rose leading the charge this could be a tough series.

I came out of the gates looking to score, mostly because of K-Mart's shooting (we'll get to that). I entered halftime leading us with 6 points, but we still held a 29-26 lead.

For some reason Chicago thought Boozer should cover me on the perimeter a couple times in the 2nd half. You can guess (and see, above) what happened there. I shot 50% to score my 6 points in the first half but shot 77% for 11 more in the second half. We needed it to since Kevin Martin had the chills.

Dude shot 3-12 and missed all five triple tries. If it wasn't for Patrick Patterson (Pat Patt) stepping it up and pitching in 12 points we might have been in trouble.

As it turned out, though, we handled our business. We won 60-52 and I finished with 17 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist on 62% shooting.

Now we're up 1-0 in the NBA Finals and feeling pretty good. I seem to remember something bad happening the last time we were in this situation though. If I could only remember what it was...
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 am

If you don't mind, I'm going to make the coverage of game two short and sweet for two reasons.

1: It wasn't competitive at all
2: We need all the time we can get to discuss game three.

To call game three uncompetitive is an understatement. We dominated the Bulls at their place. Martin and I combined for 47 points. The entire Bulls team had 44. No contest.

Am I the only one unsurprised that Joe D liked seeing us dismantle Chicago?

Game tree started out easy enough as I wrapped up the fist quarter with 9 points on 80% shooting.

Here's an animation of a nice dish I made to Martin in the 2nd quarter.

I entered the half with 11 points on 5/6 shooting with 2 assists and a board. We were playing well but couldn't get any separation - we only held a 4 point lead at intermission.

Rose was an absolute beast this game. This layup in the 4th tied the game at 50-50, and that's where it would stay.

After missing a game winning shot (I should know better by now) we headed to OT. We didn't manage to settle the score there either, so a 2nd OT was needed.

I hit a series of late free throws in the second extra session to give is a three point lead. This is the thing I didn't want to jinx a post or two ago: I'm a career 70% free throw shooter but I have only missed one in over 30 attempts this post season. That didn't change tonight. Still, with Chicago hanging around we needed a play to put them down for good.

Late in double-OT Asik grabbed a loose ball under the Bulls rim.

He lobbed it ahead to me...

... and I threw a baseball pass down court...

... to a streaking Kevin Martin.

Oh yeah, you think he doesn't know this game is over?

The Bulls had one last play in them and for the first time tonight I slipped up and let Courtney Lee get a clean look at the basket.

Uh oh.

Uuuuuuuh oh. We're up by four so this shouldn't hurt, but he's sure acting like he did something.

The referee quickly goes to the monitor and watches an old Orlando Magic game on NBA TV (that's the only explanation I can come up with, because that's not a picture from our game on that screen).

It's no good! We win! Of course, being up four it didn't really matter, but it's the thought that counts. I finished with 27 points, 2 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 turnovers, a good counter to Rose's 25 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal and 2 turnovers.

Game four on the horizon, and we're going for the sweep at home.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 am

Game four! We're up 3-0! We can do this!

That's basically what I told the team before the game. We CAN do this! We MUST do this! Let's end it here!

Yeah, basically that. This is where we are.

I started cold, scoring just 2 points in the 1st quarter on 33% shooting with 1 assist. I upped that to 8 points and 3 assists on 66% shooting by the half as we took a 14 point lead into the 3rd quarter.

I only scored 2 points in the 3rd quarter but finally hit my stride in the 4th, which is totally counter-intuitive for me. I, though not covered in detail here, am just about the least clutch player in the NBA. I tend to start hot and go ice cold partway through the 3rd quarter and the rest of the game. It happens so often it's crazy. I'm the anti-Kyrie Irving. Not tonight though, as I scored 9 points in the 4th to finish with 19 points, 4 assists and 4 steals on 56% shooting. Oh, and we won.

We win! NBA Champion, everyone!

Yeah! Gimme that trophy! I didn't get Player of the Game or Finals MVP (both went to Kevin Martin) but that's ok. I'm happy just to win the title.

We made the trip to the White House to visit the President, which was nice. It's odd that he won't look me in the eye, though. Oh that's right, I just beat his Bulls down something fierce. That explains it. I have to be honest and say that these weren't the Bulls at their best. Courtney Lee had knee tendonitis and Joakim Noah had a separated shoulder. Either of them being healthy could have changed things some, but I still think we would have won.

The next season has begun and I'm still a Rocket (they picked up my rookie option year) and... this happened. That's a slight! We're the defending champs, where do they get off putting us at 29th in the Power Rankings? Of course we were ranked 30th to start last year, and we all know how that ended.

One more thing - I'm on the cover of SI! That means I'll be in a near full-body cast by December. Thanks, mysterious magazine cover curse!

Time for another year!
Alphasim

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - Wrapping up the Finals

Postby Woogie98 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

Congrats on the CHAMPIONSHIP!!! :mrgreen: :applaud:
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Mark. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Nice win. Congrats on the championship! What comes next??
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:03 am

What comes next? DISNEY WORLD!

Oh wait, no - season three comes next.

Here's our starting lineup to start the season. Notice something missing? No Kevin Martin. Great, there goes my security blanket. We lost the league MVP and NBA Finals MVP so I'll have to pick up my game. I came out an scored 8 points in the 1st quarter to put us up by 2 entering the 2nd quarter. I got placed at point guard to start that quarter and I... wait... WHAT?!

YOU'RE STILL HERE?! Why are you coming off the bench??? WHY SCREW WITH A CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER????! I don't understand this team anymore. On the other hand, hello security blanket! I hit him for three assists in three and a half minutes before halftime, and he entered intermission leading us with 16 points.

I had big trouble with the pick and roll as point guard, and Mo Williams was a general pain to guard. On this play in the 3rd quarter I watched him walk the ball up before making my move.

I reach for the ball and tip it out of his hands.

Backcourt violation!

Just walk away Mo. I'm done playing with you.

I do have to share this play with you. It's a glorious example of a showboating play gone so very wrong.

We're on a fast break so I tossed an alley-oop to Patrick Patterson to cap a run.

Jump! Pat Patt, jump! I threw that for you! Go get it!

Awwwwww crap. Someone has to go get that.

Oh what the heck...

... yeah. That didn't work. It bounced back into Jeremy Lamb's hands for a layup so it wasn't a total loss but I'm not trying that again.

I finished with Player of the Game, 22 points, 4 assists and 2 steals in the win. We're off to a good start.
Alphasim

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - Season 3 Underway

Postby Alphasim on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:53 pm

A couple more games in and a disturbing trend is developing.

We've been falling behind early allot. I mean, allot. As in every game. A game against Denver went to overtime before we got the win (my line: 19p, 1r, 2a, 3s 8-19/2-6).

Against the Bucks I got in a shootout with Monta Ellis to get us the win late (my line: 20p, 0r, 1a, 1to, 9-14/2-4)

Our matchup with the Clippers in LA was frustrating on so many levels. I scored well, but that's all I did well (my line: 19p, 0r, 0a, 1to, 8-15/3-4). I couldn't get anyone open for a shot, couldn't make plays, and my normally solid defense was suspect. What happened at the end killed me though.

I don't have pics of it, but here's what happened. We went on a 15-6 run to end the 3rd and start the 4th quarter just to tie the game up at 46. After a trading baskets the rest of the quarter, Patrick Patterson got hold of a loose ball with 18 seconds left. I called for the ball, set to try and win the game (yeah, I know. I'm simultaneously stupid and stubborn that way). I dribbled down the clock and got a high screen from Pat Patt to get Jeff Green to switch on to me. I faked a drive and pulled up for a step back three. No prizes for guessing how that went. Coach promptly pulled my dumb butt and we lost in the 1.2 seconds I left on the clock (no idea how - I was pouting on the bench and didn't see what happened).

At the post game presser, the reporters grilled me on how we could have won if I'd hit that shot. Rather then answer, I just started singing.

"'Well I'm heart broken, check it and see...
coulda won if I had hit that three.
Come on, maybe one day I'll knock one down.
I'm heart broken, heart broken..."

The reporters laughed at me. I'm not sure how to take that. I do know that I have to get my act together if we're going to win another title this year. Right now I'm a poor man's Nick Young - all scoring, nothing else checked on the boxscore. On to the next game!
Alphasim

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - Season 3 Underway

Postby Alphasim on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm

No pics this time, because I'm bummed. My team, a year removed from a championship, looks like crap. We just got schooled by Sacramento. In the Kings game I scored 4 points on 22% shooting. I had seven assists and three steals but coming off the bench (yup, got benched for missing that shot at the end of the Clips game) threw me off completely.

Here's the deal. I'm not happy in Houston, but we did win a title last year. Do I owe it to them to stick this out and try again, or should I ask for a trade and start fresh somewhere else? If so, who should I try to get to? Lastly, do I request a trade, or outright demand it? Opinions?
Alphasim

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - The Trade Issue [POLL]

Postby Murat on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Wait the end of season...
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - The Trade Issue [POLL]

Postby Alphasim on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Two more games down, starting with the Blazers in Portland.

I started this game, which was a pleasant surprise. I had an off-game shooting (to me), scoring 11 on 50% shooting. It wasn't a bad game and I was glad to be starting again. We won this game by double digits. (my line: 11p, 3r, 2a, 5/10)

Next we found ourselves in Phoenix. I was sitting again, making me rather irritated at coach. Why do I sit, start, and then sit again? This is doing nothing for my rhythm. In any case I didn't take a shot until late in the 2nd quarter while I went with the flow of the game. I sat most of the 3rd quarter but played all of the 4th.

I shot 63%, which was nice but I missed my first free throw of the year. Darn! I had made every one up to that point (I forget how many atm), so that was disappointing. I only missed one of four, though as we won handily. (my line: 13p, 1r, 3a, 5/8)

If coach could ever make up his mind if I'm a starter or a role player, I'll be happy. Until then, two more wins make me feel good anyway. One thing of note: I'm not feeling the need to jack up shots anymore. I'm less inclined to just try and shoot us into (and out of) of games, and feel like I'm playing much more under control. Also, since that 19 point, zero assist game, I'm averaging 9.3 points and 4 assists (skewed slightly by that 7 assist game). I don't know if the teams we're playing aren't that good or what, but I'm seeing - and hitting - passing lanes that I wasn't finding earlier, which is cutting my shots down and getting everyone involved, even when I don't get the assist directly. I like this development and I hope to see it continue.
Alphasim

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - The Trade Issue

Postby Alphasim on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 am

Heya everyone, I've been busy ballin' and the games I've played have been wildly different from one another.

First up, in Milwaukee I got two blocks on Brandon Jennings in a win. (My line: 16p,0r,2a,2b,7/14 shooting)

The next game was a trick to win, as Andrea Bargnani went off in the 2nd half for 15 points, 21 total for the game. I did my best to match him, and we won. (My line: 21p,1r,3a,2to,9/14 shooting)

Look at this picture. Savor it. Admire it. What is it? My first game winner! Sure, it wasn't technically at the buzzer, but this was the shot that put us up 1 against Orlando, and we held on. (My line: 11p,3r,1a,2to,5/10 shooting)

Here's where we're going to be spending the most time. We played the Heat in Miami and I knew it was going to be a screw game going in (as in, the AI was committed to not letting us win). I didn't care. I was going to try anyway. Here, I shook the King to the floor before canning a jump shot. Don't feel bad for him, though... feel bad for poor Jeremy Lin, who got posterized whenever I missed a defensive assignment, usually on Wade.

Oops.

Crap. Sorry Jeremy!

LeBron, you too? At least I tried this time.

In the end we lost as the Heat went red hot and my teammates became butterfingers. Ah well. Get 'em next time.
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 am

I reckon request a trade eh, especially if you are just getting frustrated all the time...
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:09 pm

We do need to make a trade, but I'm not sure I'm the one who needs to go. What we need is an interior presence. Asik got hurt a week ago and we've been getting chewed up inside game after game, giving up way too many layups and offensive boards. If we can tighten that up and... y'know... get someone to help when I kind of, sort of slip up on my perimeter D and let my man go to the hole... which doesn't happen that often (yes, it does :oops: ), we might be in better shape.

In the mean time, we played the Cavs recently (and lost), and while I had a respectable stat night (My line: 15p,4r,2a,2s,1b,0to,7/13 shooting), they beat us up inside again. I recorded my highlights from the game to share, so you can get a look at my play style. On thing you'll notice is my new favorite move, the Jordan-on-Russell style push off/step back J. I use it Waiters a few times, most notably around the 22 second mark of the video. Take a look at some of my better moments from the game.

phpBB [video]
Alphasim

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - Still a Rocket

Postby Alphasim on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm

It's gone. It's all gone... my jump shot has abandoned me. Why, I don't know, but it has.

The pinnacle of this revelation was a pair of games against the Hornets where I finished with a combined 4/18 shooting. Ouch.

My latest game was against the Knicks, and this shot exemplifies the only shot I can hit right now. Mid-range, long distance, bunnies, it doesn't matter. I can't hit anything.

So, in my third year, I have to reinvent my shot. I went into the gym and got a whole new J. New step in, new release, you name it. Will it work? I won't know until my next game, but I will say this: in my last practice session, we had to replace the net.

Good sign, people.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:42 pm

The time has come to try out my new shot! The Jazz will be my test subjects and the Utah crowd shall bear witness - as will all of you.

We got pounded in the 1st quarter, but were only down four entering the 2nd. I hadn't taken a shot up to this point, but once I started... look out.

There it is, folks - my new shot. It's designed for a quick, high release. Best of all, it works.

I dropped three treys in about four minutes of the 2nd quarter, earning my first ever "On Fire" icon. Yes!

Unfortunately, the game isn't two quarters long. We were outscored by five in the 3rd to go down two entering the fourth, in which Mo Williams and I had a little showdown.

We were tied when I hit this in-traffic layup to put us up around the three minute mark.

To say I was pumped to be back on top of my game was an understatement.

I was really feeling it after hitting Chandler Parsons for a layup. Sadly, this didn't last. In the last minute and a half, this was how the sequence played out.

- I bring the ball up court, pass it to a Jazz player but he tips it out of bounds. 1 near turnover.
- On the ensuing inbounds I fumble the ball in traffic of Patterson picks it up and dunks. 2 near turnovers.
- Mo Williams - on fire by now - hits a tough J to tie the game again.
- I lose my dribble at the top of the key but Lin recovers it. 3 near turnovers.
- I promptly get the ball back and attempt a spin move, losing the ball to the Jazz. Finally gave the ball up.

Dammit. I could NOT control the ball for the life of me down the stretch. Late we give up a dunk-and-one to Al Jefferson to go down two with under 15 seconds.

Stop. Let's just stop right here. It's buzzer beater time. Winning time. I have blown so many of these chances of the years that I could have my very own Sportscenter Special. I KNOW better than to take this shot. I just know better. Hit Parsons on the wing, give it to Lin and allow him to create. Do anything but take the shot.

So what do I do? I dribble the clock down and take a fairly open 3. No prizes for guessing that it clanked off the iron and we lost. I'm the single least clutch player in the NBA.

Oh well. Get 'em next time.
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:53 am

Man tough luck. You will find the killer instinct soon enough!
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Something had to change. Something's not right. What can I do? I don't want to leave the team. I need to switch things up. OH! I know!

This was me. Was. It's time for a new me!

Image change! New hair, new shave, cut down on the arm bands... I feel refreshed. I feel like a new man. Let's go, it's time to take on the Grizz!

I felt lighter, more mobile. Nothing has changed but my look but I feel like I got a career reset. This was actually a calculated move - in the past four years of playing this mode, my career always got a kick in the rear after my first hair cut. Dunno why. Maybe I'm the anti-Sampson.

We trailed the Grizzlies through much of the game before catching them in the 3rd quarter behind some hot shooting by me. We eventually pulled away and won. (My line: 21p,3r,4a,1s,1to,8/15 shooting)

This proves that I was imagining my December slump. After winning Player of the Week in the 1st week of the month I've struggled.

For kicks, here are my last six games.

I'm feeling better than I have in weeks. Look out league!
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 am

Fresh look, refreshed performance.
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood