(63-19) First Round Wraps Up [4-0]

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Clipped and Trail-blazed [38-13]

Postby Axel The Great on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 am

Stress Fracture wrote:WTF? Eric Gordon attempting 40 shots?

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Clippers would want to take back at least 10 of those to make the score look more favorable for them.
hova- wrote:The new difficulty setting seems to pay off for your opponents. Still a great record - so no problem. 40 shots and 11 from downtown is insane. I hate that 2k always fucks up some of the two guards' tendencies. They shoot the ball way too often.

It is much more of a challenge; I have to constantly sit at the edge of my seat to anticipate the CPU's every move! It's a good thing though. The two games against Portland and LA were winnable, so at least I'm not completely overpowered here. As for the tendencies, I checked Gordon's shot tendency after the game and it's at 78, which is lower than Griffin's and Billups's tendencies, so it is definitely something with 2K. I also have this problem with KD when I play against him too. :?

I hope I can get another update up within the next few days. Time has become a factor for me now that spring semester has started. Good thing is I only go to school two days a week, so I have more free time to get updates up. :)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Mark. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 am

Each time I see an update it never ceases to amaze me that this is still going. Well done keeping the interest up. Good to hear the new difficulty is helping keep it interesting!
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Axel The Great on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for the kind words Mark.! :) This Rockets team has kept me interested because it's the team I envisioned them to be if Yao had come back and stayed healthy and Kevin Martin lived up to his full pure scorer potential. It's a universe that keeps me away from the mediocrity of the real life Rockets.

Guys I really need your help. The trade deadline is coming up in this association, and since I have CPU trades off, I have to do trades myself. There are five trades I have in mind but only two I am certain are fair. The three that I am not sure about follow:

Grizzlies (12th) get: Ryan Hollins (from CLE), DeJuan Blair (from SAS)
Cavaliers (15th) get: George Hill, Richard Jefferson (both from SAS)
Spurs (9th) get: Xavier Henry (from MEM), JJ Hickson (from CLE), Daniel Gibson (from CLE), Memphis 2012 1st round pick

Before I begin explaining, let me reiterate that this is not the current season; I am still on the 2011-12 season.
Explanation: Memphis is outright terrible, they sit in 12th place and are on an 11-game losing streak. They lost Zach Randolph to the Nets in the offseason (hence their terrible season). They currently start rookie Jordan Williams at PF, so receiving Blair is a huge plus for them (and also, Blair's morale is at 0 with the Spurs). Hollins is just a throw-in. Cavs need swingmen, so Hill and RJ fill their need perfectly. The Spurs replace Hill and Blair with Henry and Hickson, so they don't lose very much, and Gibson is just a fill-in while backup PG TJ Ford returns from injury. Not to mention the pick they get from Memphis will end up being a lottery pick.

Nets (12th) get: Gerald Wallace (from POR), Shaun Livingston (from CHA)
TrailBlazers (6th) get: New Jersey 2012 1st round pick, Alonzo Gee (from NJN), Matt Barnes (from CHA), Boris Diaw (from CHA)
Bobcats (4th) get: Marcus Camby (from POR), Travis Outlaw (from NJN)

Explanation: First off, the Bobcats are actually good in this reality (because they have Stephen Jackson). But with Bismack Biyombo being their starting center, Camby is an upgrade as he adds experience, plus he has a higher rating. For the Nets, they upgrade tremendously at SF, and Livingston serves as a backup PG to Jordan Farmar (Deron Williams is injured in the meantime). Portland still has Batum whom they can now develop into a star, and they keep their depth at the SF with Barnes. The 1st round pick they receive will end up being a lottery pick as well (Lillard?). Gee and Outlaw are just toss-ins to match salaries. I am most unsure about this one, I think Portland might not be receiving too much in return for what they're giving up.

Bucks (11th) get: Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, Enes Kanter
Warriors (7th) get: Andrew Bogut, John Salmons

Explanation: Yes, the Bogut trade. A little bit of real life mix with this one. Trading Bogut leaves the Bucks nothing at center, so getting Biedrins is a must. For the Warriors, they upgrade at center, but leave their SG position a little exposed. They still have Tracy McGrady (76 overall!) there, and they have Delonte West backing up Stephen Curry. The Warriors give up Enes Kanter to loosen up the logjam of 5 PF's at that position. I'm not sure if draft picks may need to be added to this one.

Any kind of approval, suggestion, or analysis from anyone is highly welcome. Which trades do you think should go through? Are they all fair or unfair?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: Potential Trades: Reader Help Needed!

Postby Mark. on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 am

Trade 1: I think the pick that Memphis sends out needs to be changed (keep in mind I don't know Blair's rating) If they are doing so poorly I would expect them to want to hold on to their up coming first rounder. Perhaps make it two second rounders or even the next year first...?

Trade 2: I like this for most teams, I agree that Portland may be giving up a bit, especially if they are 6th, seems like a move for the future. BUT they could easily be looking at the top of the conference and realizing that they don't have enough to go far. The pick is good enough to justify the trade I think.

Trade 3: I think this is fine. The Kanter addition is key for the Bucks though, if you could swing the trade without them having to take on Biedrins contract it would be more realistic IMO.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

Have you already tried on not giving POR the NJN's 1st round pick?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 am

Mark. wrote:Trade 1: I think the pick that Memphis sends out needs to be changed (keep in mind I don't know Blair's rating) If they are doing so poorly I would expect them to want to hold on to their up coming first rounder. Perhaps make it two second rounders or even the next year first...?

Trade 2: I like this for most teams, I agree that Portland may be giving up a bit, especially if they are 6th, seems like a move for the future. BUT they could easily be looking at the top of the conference and realizing that they don't have enough to go far. The pick is good enough to justify the trade I think.

Trade 3: I think this is fine. The Kanter addition is key for the Bucks though, if you could swing the trade without them having to take on Biedrins contract it would be more realistic IMO.

Thanks for your input Mark. :) Looking back at Trade 1, you're right; Memphis shouldn't give up that pick because acquiring Blair isn't a move that will get them back to the top. I will change the draft picks to maybe two second rounders. For Trade 3, I'll see if I can avoid dealing Biedrins, but the fact remains that Bogut is their only center so they either acquire Biedrins or don't trade at all.
Stress Fracture wrote:Have you already tried on not giving POR the NJN's 1st round pick?

That's what makes the trade fair. Otherwise, Portland's just getting ripped off.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Jammed Clutch [40-14]

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 am

[38-13] Houston Rockets 96-98 San Antonio Spurs [24-27]

Image Image
Luis Scola could have used some more shot attempts, as he was hot with 6/7 from the field. | Patrick Patterson had an excellent game off the bench.
Image Image
Tony Parker was instrumental in the Spurs' early race to the lead. | Manu Ginobili closed out the game very well for San Antonio.

After being kept at bay for the first half of the initial quarter, San Antonio sparked a 12-4 run to gain the lead. They stretched it to nine and won the first quarter 28-20. Tony Parker had a great game for the Spurs as he converted on six of his first seven field goal attempts, finishing 8/14 from the field and 19 points for the game. He also had nine assists and six boards.

Houston battled back in the second and third quarters. Their inability to get to the free throw line hampered them; the officials made questionable non-calls. As a result, Houston only attempted 12 free throws, all of which they made. Houston's vital three-point shooting also wasn't there for them, as their first three-point make came as late as the third quarter. They were 0/7 prior to that and finished 4/14.

"There weren't too many non-calls that were debatable, but it would seem as if they turned a blind eye to the contact that was happening in the paint," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said.

Houston got back into it through efficient shooting. They shot 48% for the game, while San Antonio shot a mediocre 41%. After San Antonio led by 11, their largest lead of the game, Houston managed to tie the game at 70 going into the final quarter.

"I knew they'd snap at our heels one way or another. No matter what your game plan is against them, they always find a way to counter your defense," Spurs' Tim Duncan credited Houston's players.

Patrick Patterson had a tremendous game off the bench, with a near double-double of 15 points (a career high) and nine boards. Kevin Martin scored a game high 26 points, and accompanied that with six boards and three assists.

The fourth quarter was a lot of back and forth action, but Houston seemed to have gotten a tight grip on the game when the score was 94-90 with less than two minutes remaining. A pair of Manu Ginobili free throws and a layup by Tony Parker put San Antonio back in it. Houston went back up when Yao Ming was double-teamed in the post, and he kicked it back out to Kyle Lowry for an easy 17-foot jumper.

Ginobili evened the game again, and after an empty Rockets possession, he scored the eventual game-winner from the right baseline over the outstretched arm of Yao.

"It was something we saw coming, yet we did nothing to try and stop him. This loss is the ultimate price we paid," the Chinese center said about Ginobili.

With the score 98-96 and six seconds remaining, the Rockets decided to throw off San Antonio. Using Martin as a decoy, they went down low to Yao. After a few seconds of backing Duncan down, Yao was double-teamed. There wasn't much time to pass the ball, so he had to attempt a desperation jumper that clanked off the back iron as Houston fell short for the third game in a row.

"This is the longest slump we've had in a while. It's a good thing we're approaching a relatively easy part of our schedule in order to give us a chance to get our act back together," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. This is Houston's first three-game losing streak since the 2009-10 season, and only their third home loss of the season, at 21-3. They lose the season series to San Antonio 3-1.

Notes: San Antonio managed to steal the ball 11 times from the Rockets, which was a key to keeping the Rockets at bay. Houston still managed 24 team assists, while San Antonio was limited to 18.

Key Performers:
Rockets:
Kevin Martin - 26 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 11/24 FG, 2/5 3P
Patrick Patterson - 15 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 6/10 FG, 3/3 FT
Luis Scola - 15 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 6/7 FG, 3/3 FT
Yao Ming - 14 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks, 6/11 FG
Courtney Lee - 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 4/6 FG

Spurs:
Manu Ginobili - 25 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 9/22 FG, 3/11 3P, 4/4 FT
Tony Parker - 19 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 8/14 FG, 3/4 FT
Richard Jefferson - 18 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 6/10 FG, 5/5 FT
Tim Duncan - 17 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 8/17 FG

Image20 22 28 26 96
Image28 19 23 28 98

[38-14] Houston Rockets 118-99 Utah Jazz [18-33]
Simmed

Key Performers:
Rockets:
Yao Ming - 24 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 10/16 FG, 4/5 FT
Kevin Martin - 24 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 6/14 FG, 4/8 3P, 8/9 FT
Luis Scola - 18 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 6/11 FG, 6/8 FT
Kyle Lowry - 15 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 5/10 FG, 2/3 3P, 3/4 FT
Shane Battier - 10 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 3/5 FG, 2/3 3P

Jazz:
Derrick Favors - 16 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist, 7/11 FG, 2/5 FT
Devin Harris - 16 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 5 steals, 5/10 FG, 2/3 3P, 4/5 FT
Mehmet Okur - 14 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 4/7 FG, 6/7 FT
JJ Barea - 12 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 4/12 FG, 2/3 3P
Al Jefferson - 12 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 5/7 FG

Image38 20 30 30 118
Image31 20 26 22 99

[39-14] Houston Rockets 111-86 Minnesota Timberwolves [19-32]
Simmed

Key Performers:
Rockets:
Yao Ming - 22 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 6/9 FG, 10/10 FT
Kevin Martin - 22 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 7/15 FG, 8/8 FT
Goran Dragic - 15 points, 4 assists, 1 rebound, 5/6 FG, 2/2 3P, 3/4 FT
Shane Battier - 15 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 4/11 FG, 6/8 FT
Kyle Lowry - 15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 4/6 FG, 6/6 FT

Timberwolves:
Jonny Flynn - 26 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals, 9/25 FG, 7/8 FT
Kevin Love - 21 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists, 7/21 FG, 2/6 3P, 5/6 FT
Jonas Valanciunas - 14 points, 2 rebounds, 1 block, 3/6 FG, 8/9 FT
Wesley Johnson - 8 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 3/10 FG

Image31 21 34 25 111
Image18 13 25 30 86
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: Jammed Clutch [40-14]

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 am

Hickson and Henry would be great additions to the Spurs :cheeky: Congrats on this man, still going strong. I'm struggling...
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Mark. on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 am

Regarding trade 1. Is Kanter not listed as a C in that game? I would have thought they would rather just have him and find a vet on a cheaper contract to help out during his development...
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Axel The Great on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Thierry • wrote:Hickson and Henry would be great additions to the Spurs :cheeky: Congrats on this man, still going strong. I'm struggling...

Thanks Thierry. :) Time is definitely scarce for me as well, and yet I still find time to post an update every now and then. After I finish this season, I am uncertain whether I want to call it quits in the association writing business and just stick to reading. That would not be a bad option, but it still is fun to keep and update a story even after a while.
Mark. wrote:Regarding trade 1. Is Kanter not listed as a C in that game? I would have thought they would rather just have him and find a vet on a cheaper contract to help out during his development...

I pulled the trigger on all the trades (article coming later). The Bucks did not end up taking on Biedrins's contract. Originally, I had Kanter listed as a PF. When I was editing the draft class (loooooong ago), his real life scouting reports said he played PF. I changed his position to C and that's that.

I've got plenty of updates coming up, which I have yet to start writing. Trade deadline deals, a three-game recap (Patrick Patterson!!!), and All-Star Weekend all coming up. I've also been working on a Rocket Chapter, so be on the look out for that too. :)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Patrick Star [43-14]

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm

[40-14] Houston Rockets 104-88 Dallas Mavericks [31-22]

Image Image
Just another game for Kevin Martin... | Patrick Patterson has emphatically made himself heard around the league.
Image Image
It was Rodrigue Beaubois who led the Mavericks in scoring on this night. | Dirk Nowitzki was held to a meager 10 points.

The game began close, but after Jason Terry went down with a Strained Abdomen, things were not the same for Dallas anymore. Terry did not return for the rest of the game, and Houston continued to pile up the points. They had a double-digit lead at halftime, and it seemed as if nothing would stop them.

Dallas came out in the third quarter playing a little better, as they outscored Houston 27-23 for the quarter. Rodrigue Beaubois led the Mavericks in scoring with 24 points and notched a double-double with 11 assists. He scored four triples and shot 8/14 from the field. To make up for the loss of Terry, Michael Redd netted 19 points off the bench as he shot 7/13 from the field. However, the biggest plague to Dallas was Dirk Nowitzki's struggle. The prominent German seven-footer scored just 10 points on 4/11 shooting, as Houston's defense was breathing down his neck all game long.

For Houston, Kevin Martin provided the usual with a game high 29 points, with five boards, four dimes and a couple of steals to accompany that. Martin received some unexpected but very welcome help from Patrick Patterson. The second-year forward out of Kentucky scored a career high 25 points off the bench in just 24 minutes. He also had eight boards, and shot 10/14 from the field.

"[Patrick] Patterson's recent level of play has shown us he has a future in this league. It was definitely a long time coming," Rockets head coach Rick Adelman praised the big guy.

Houston would go on to close the game out in the fourth, limiting Dallas to just 18 points and continuing their dominance over the Western Conference.

Notes: Houston's offense was fluid as they shot 50% from the field and had 27 assists. Their bench scored 44 points. Meanwhile, Dallas shot just 41% from the field and had only 17 assists.

Key Performers:
Rockets:
Kevin Martin - 29 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 12/21 FG, 4/5 FT
Patrick Patterson - 25 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 10/14 FG, 5/5 FT
Kyle Lowry - 13 points, 7 assists, 1 rebound, 3 steals, 5/8 FG, 3/5 3P
Yao Ming - 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 4/8 FG

Mavericks:
Rodrigue Beaubois - 24 points, 11 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 8/14 FG, 4/8 3P, 4/4 FT
Michael Redd - 19 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 7/13 FG, 4/4 FT
Caron Butler - 17 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 8/20 FG
Dirk Nowitzki - 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 4/11 FG

Image29 27 23 25 104
Image22 21 27 18 88

[41-14] Houston Rockets 116-90 Utah Jazz [18-37]

Image Image
Shane Battier quietly had the hot hand. | Al Jefferson leads Utah's futile charge.

This game was lopsided, to put it as an understatement. Houston began by knocking down nine of their first 12 field goals. Seven minutes into the game, Houston's lead was a draconian 26-4. On a ten-game losing streak, it appeared as though Utah was going to tank this game. However, slowly but surely, Utah began to claw their way back to make the margin look more respectable. To end the first quarter, they trimmed the deficit to 17. Al Jefferson led Utah's futile charge with a double-double of 24 points and 14 boards. Paul Millsap followed suit with 21 points and 11 rebounds.

It can be said Utah made the effort, as twice throughout the game they were able to reduce their deficit to just eight, making Houston's crowd restless. Going into the fourth quarter, Utah was facing just an eight-point hole.

"We thought we could win it at that point, but when it's the Rockets, it's never a sure thing," Utah's Jefferson said.

Houston zoomed through the fourth quarter, mauling the Jazz 36-18. Kevin Martin led the way once again with 30 points, four boards, and four assists. In a balanced secondary effort, Houston had four other double-digit scorers in Shane Battier (16 points, five boards), Patrick Patterson (12 points, two boards), Luis Scola (12 points, nine boards, three dimes), and Yao Ming (11 points, five boards, four blocks).

"Our offense is just clicking right now, and I'm not sure if there's a defense out there that can stop us. Things have become extensively easy, and we are gonna continue to win more basketball games," Martin, looking ahead, said.

Notes: Houston shot 53% from the field compared to Utah's 44%. Houston's bench also netted 38 points, and as a team, the Rockets had 26 assists.

Key Performers:
Rockets:
Kevin Martin - 30 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 12/22 FG, 3/4 3P, 3/3 FT
Shane Battier - 16 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 6/7 FG, 3/3 FT
Patrick Patterson - 12 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 5/8 FG
Luis Scola - 12 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 5/12 FG
Yao Ming - 11 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 4 blocks, 5/7 FG
Kyle Lowry - 9 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 3/5 FG, 3/4 3P

Jazz:
Al Jefferson - 24 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 9/18 FG, 6/9 FT
Paul Millsap - 21 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 10/18 FG
Devin Harris - 11 points, 9 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 4/10 FG, 3/4 FT
JJ Barea - 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 4/8 FG

Image35 25 20 36 116
Image18 27 27 18 90

[42-14] Houston Rockets 115-105 Toronto Raptors [18-37]
Simmed

Key Performers:
Rockets:
Yao Ming - 26 points, 10 rebounds, 12/18 FG, 2/4 FT
Kevin Martin - 25 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 11/15 FG, 3/5 3P
Kyle Lowry - 12 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 3/8 FG, 6/10 FT
Luis Scola - 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 4/9 FG, 3/4 FT
Shane Battier - 10 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3/8 FG, 1/5 3P, 3/5 FT

Raptors:
Ed Davis - 19 points, 11 rebounds, 1 steal, 4 blocks, 7/10 FG
Andrea Bargnani - 18 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block, 7/18 FG, 2/4 3P
Brandon Knight - 15 points, 1 steal, 3/10 FG, 9/9 FT
DeMar DeRozan - 14 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 6/9 FG
Leandro Barbosa - 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals, 1 block, 2/8 FG, 7/10 FT

Image27 35 25 28 115
Image32 34 24 15 105
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: Patrick Star [43-14]

Postby Lamrock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 am

Nice to see a recap of this. Pretty cool how you're finishing it up. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby Mark. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 am

Pat Patt playing well, good to see. Bring on some more updates!
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Axel The Great on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 am

Lamrock wrote:Nice to see a recap of this. Pretty cool how you're finishing it up. (Y)

Thanks for the kind words, Lamrock! :)
Mark. wrote:Pat Patt playing well, good to see. Bring on some more updates!

Yeah he is. (Y) Always nice to have someone off the bench play that well. Been trying to update this but life's been throwing many curve balls at me. I've got an update coming in a bit: the trade deadline.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

2012 Trade Deadline

Postby Axel The Great on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 am

2012 NBA Trade Deadline

Posted by Axel Gomez, February 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM
WOW! It has been a while since I've updated my blog, but with Daryl Morey being in a coma and me having to carry the burden of running an NBA franchise, there really hasn't been much time to even update my own PC. But this here is an important matter, the NBA's trade deadline.

Like many trade deadlines of the past, General Managers across the league were busy negotiating trades, looking to improve their team's chances at either being more relevant than they are this year, or being more relevant next year. Me? I just sat back and refused trade after trade for two reasons. One, none of the proposed trades seemed worthy enough to pull the trigger on. Second, I am currently happy with the current Houston Rockets. I won't get into detail on that because you can just post a comment below stating your desire and I'll invite you to a local bar for a drink to discuss that matter. For now, we can just say that this team has the tools and potential to proceed deep into the playoffs, and possibly venture into the NBA Finals.

This trade deadline did not disappoint in terms of the number of trades; there was definitely player movement. GM's were kept busy the past two weeks, and now the dust has settled. So without further ado, let's take a look at, not only the deals that happened this week, but ALL trades that have happened this season; there are two that are worth looking at again (and because I would like to brag about how I cheated the Suns out of Anthony Davis for this upcoming 2012 draft).

Now, I'm not sure what exactly Suns GM Lance Blanks was smoking when we negotiated this deal, but I will say it is the second best trade the Rockets have made in recent years, the first being the Kevin Martin trade. Here it is:

HOU receives: Goran Dragic (PG), Suns 2012 first round pick; Trade Grade: A
PHX receives: Aaron Brooks (PG), Chase Budinger (SF); Trade Grade: C+

Remember, this trade happened a few months back, which means we've seen some of the effect it has had on both teams. The Suns are currently second to last in the Western Conference with a record of 18-36, which makes that first round pick the steal of the trade. Goran Dragic is an upgrade over Aaron Brooks defensively, and he can come off the bench and make plays which is something Brooks wasn't able to do. His shooting numbers have improved since he was traded to the Rockets, and not to mention his playing time. The Suns meanwhile, they get a point guard that can put points on the board in a hurry, and an athletic swingman in Chase Budinger. In essence, the deal wasn't too bad for the Suns, but ultimately the Rockets win it by acquiring the first round pick, which could end up being Anthony Davis!

Phoenix wasn't done dealing with that trade. It seems as if their goal is to rebuild; they showed it by trading away their star point guard Steve Nash. After so much buzz around the league about a potential trade, Phoenix swung a deal with the New York Knicks and the Los Angeles Clippers. The deal is as follows:

PHX receives: Anthony Randolph (PF), Mo Williams (PG), Chris Kaman (C), 2012 1st round draft picks from NYK and LAC; Trade Grade: B-
NYK receives: Steve Nash (PG), Sean Williams (PF); Trade Grade: A
LAC receives: Chauncey Billups (PG), Marcin Gortat (C); Trade Grade: A-

Phoenix redeems themselves with two first round draft picks after giving theirs away to Houston. The most important component for them is Chris Kaman, whom has an expiring $12 million contract. In addition, they receive two good scorers in Anthony Randolph and Mo Williams. New York (29-28) receives a point guard that fits in very well in coach Mike D'Antoni's system, as Steve Nash reunites with Amar'e Stoudemire. New York arguably becomes the best offensive team in the league with this trade. Meanwhile, the Clippers (26-31) upgrade at point guard, and add depth to their center position with Marcin Gortat. The addition of Chauncey Billups is essential for the Clippers, as he adds experience to this young team.

MEM receives: Ryan Hollins (C), DeJuan Blair (PF); Trade Grade: B
CLE receives: George Hill (SG), Richard Jefferson (SF); Trade Grade: B+
SAS receives: Xavier Henry (SG), JJ Hickson (PF), Daniel Gibson (PG), 2012, 2013 2nd round picks from Memphis; Trade Grade: B-

San Antonio (29-28), looking to unload DeJuan Blair and George Hill for their complaining about playing time, did an excellent job getting enough in return for the loss of those two young players. Xavier Henry and JJ Hickson will be able to develop well under head coach Gregg Popovich, and Daniel Gibson will be able to back up Tony Parker in the meantime while the team waits for TJ Ford to return from injury.

Cleveland (18-36) upgrades their wing positions by adding Hill and Richard Jefferson. The addition of Jefferson means they might move rookie Kawhi Leonard to the bench, a questionable move considering Leonard is having a solid year. Memphis (20-36) pulled the trigger on this trade to add depth to their frontcourt. Ryan Hollins will add an extra six fouls, but Blair is their ultimate prize here. Jordan Williams gets moved to the bench, as he is still too raw to be starting on an NBA team. Blair's rebounding presence should help out Marc Gasol down low for the rest of the year.

The next trade is a very simple one; swapping two players for one. Between the Orlando Magic and the Boston Celtics, this trade doesn't need too much analysis.

ORL gets: Glen Davis (PF); Trade Grade: B-
BOS gets: Brandon Bass (PF), Quentin Richardson (SF); Trade Grade: C+

Glen Davis made it apparent to everyone he was not happy in Boston (35-20), for reasons unknown by outsiders. Exchanging him for a player of similar caliber in Brandon Bass was an excellent move, and not to mention Boston receives a three-point weapon and added depth to their wings in Quentin Richardson. Meanwhile the Magic (29-27) receive a similar and arguably better player in return.

Moreover, there was a three team trade between the New Jersey Nets (22-32), the Portland TrailBlazers (30-27), and the Charlotte Bobcats (31-23).

NJN gets: Gerald Wallace (SF), Shaun Livingston (PG); Trade Grade: B+
POR gets: 2012 first round pick from NJN, Alonzo Gee (SG), Matt Barnes (SF), Boris Diaw (PF); Trade Grade: A-
CHA gets: Marcus Camby (C), Travis Outlaw (SF); Trade Grade: D+

Ultimately, Charlotte loses out so much here. Sure, they get a veteran center, Marcus Camby, to mentor their rookie and 16th overall pick Bismack Biyombo, but look at all the role players they gave away. Shaun Livingston, Matt Barnes, Boris Diaw, and all they get in return is a center on the verge of retirement, and a nobody in Travis Outlaw. Thus, their grade is a near failing grade. Meanwhile, New Jersey, whom has no business wandering in the basement of the Eastern Conference, bolsters their SF position with Gerald Wallace, a player who will boost their stud (at least on paper) starting lineup of Deron Williams, Shannon Brown, Zach Randolph, and Brook Lopez. Livingston serves as extra depth for the meantime whilst Williams returns from injury.

The ultimate winners, I think, were the Blazers in this one. They gave up Wallace, but in return got two serviceable role players in Barnes and Diaw. Dealing Wallace will give more shine to Nicolas Batum, a fan favorite in Portland. The biggest asset however, is that first round pick. Unless Wallace is the piece that will turn New Jersey's season around, that first round pick will end up being lottery, possibly a top 10 pick in this year's draft. It is believed Portland is just one piece away from being a perennial playoff team to a true title contender. Could this pick be the final piece?

If you thought the Clippers were done with trades, you can think again. They were involved in a three-team trade with their city rival the Los Angeles Lakers and the Minnesota Timberwolves.

LAC gets: Lamar Odom (PF/SF); Trade Grade: B+
LAL gets: Darko Milicic (C), Al-Farouq Aminu (SF); Trade Grade: B
MIN gets: Devin Ebanks (SF), 2012 first round picks from LAL and LAC; Trade Grade: C

The Lakers (28-27) got in on this trade to increase their depth; the addition of Darko Milicic provides insurance for the injury-prone Andrew Bynum and Al-Farouq Aminu is an upgrade over Devin Ebanks. The Clippers meanwhile add a versatile playmaker in Lamar Odom. With Chauncey Billups being their only playmaker (if you can call him that), this acquisition is huge, for Odom's versatility is a valuable asset for winning games. Minnesota (21-35) didn't lose much in this trade; with Jonas Valanciunas, the 10th overall pick in last year's draft, becoming their center of the future, there wasn't much room for Milicic anymore. Ebanks was tossed in to balance salaries, and will most likely be waived. The two draft picks Minnesota receives could span from being late lottery to mid first round, and on top of that they will have a lottery pick of their own. They'll have three chances to reel in a good prospect come draft time.

Last but not least, the Milwaukee Bucks and the Golden State Warriors swung what is arguably the second biggest trade of the year.

MIL gets: Monta Ellis (SG), Enes Kanter (C); Trade Grade: A
GSW gets: Andrew Bogut (C), George Koukoulis (SG); Trade Grade: A-

Both teams essentially cut from one of their positions to upgrade at another. That sentence will prove false however, if Enes Kanter turns out to be the player scouts raved about last year. Kanter, the seventh overall pick in last year's draft, is predicted to have a high ceiling. The addition of Monta Ellis will provide the Bucks (22-35) an extra scoring option alongside Brandon Jennings.

Golden State (27-26) for many years has lacked an imposing big man, someone to block shots and patrol the paint. They now have a big man with those qualities in Andrew Bogut. Although injury prone, having missed 25 games last year due to injury, if Bogut can stay relatively healthy, this trade will work for the better in the short-term for Golden State. With the final third of the season coming up, the Warriors smell the playoffs, and Bogut is possibly the final piece who can get them there. George Koukoulis was thrown in so the Bucks wouldn't be left so thin at shooting guard. The Greek youngster, the 12th pick in last year's draft, may enjoy a significant increase in minutes backing up veteran Tracy McGrady. He may even have a chance to crack the starting lineup in the future.

So with all the trades out of the way, we can now move on and enjoy the All-Star Break. Next up I will write an article previewing this year's event. But let's not get ahead of ourselves; I'd like to know your comments on the trades, and what grades would you give these teams? Feel free to post a comment below!

Comments (5):
Posted by Chuckwagon February 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM
The possibility of the Rockets getting Anthony Davis excites me. But then that would push my man Chuck Hayes to the bottom of the Rockets rotation. :(

Posted by Kobe #24 4-ever February 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM
darko!!!!!111!!! we got darko!1!1! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :headbang: :headbang:

Posted by Ariza's Bricks February 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Whew! Glad I didn't get traded. It would have been a pain to take my brick house with me to another team.

Posted by Trollface February 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM
This article is bad and you should feel bad.

Posted by Lamrock February 18, 2012 at 4:56 AM
Really hoping the Blazers get Damian Lillard with the Nets' pick.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: 2012 Trade Deadline

Postby Mark. on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am

Nice. Like how you incorporate deals that happened in real life. You will be really excited about the draft!
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am

Kobe #24 4-ever is back! :lol:

I don't know. I see the Wolves as one of the winners of the deal. Their 3 picks would really be valuable, unless they chase Dwight Howard (much like what the Rockets did :lol: ).
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:11 am

Mark. wrote:Nice. Like how you incorporate deals that happened in real life. You will be really excited about the draft!

Though some deals happened a little too soon, like the Bogut trade. You can bet I'm excited for the draft! Only thing that can ruin the excitement is bad luck in the lottery or the Suns going on a win streak. *Knocks on wood.*
Stress Fracture wrote:Kobe #24 4-ever is back! :lol:

I don't know. I see the Wolves as one of the winners of the deal. Their 3 picks would really be valuable, unless they chase Dwight Howard (much like what the Rockets did :lol: ).

Fair point. But they gave up Darko! That's a whole letter grade deduction for doing that! :lol:

Spring break has officially begun for me. Expect updates to be a little more frequent this coming week. I've got the All-Star participants coming up next and then the ASW coverage!
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Mark. on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 am

Man I still can't get over how awesome it is that this has been going so long. I thought someone had bumped a thread that had been dead for 2+ years when I saw the initial creation date Haha.
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks, Mark. :) I actually hadn't realized how long this has gone on until you pointed it out just now. I myself find it hard to believe that this is the third year I'm going with this. Although, a few hiatuses here and there have helped the process. :wink:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

2012 NBA All-Star Weekend Preview

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 am

2012 NBA All-Star Weekend

Posted by Axel Gomez, February 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM
The dust now settled after a flurry of trades, we can now come to the realization that the NBA All-Star Weekend upon us. We'll get to see some of the league's best talents take the court at the same time. From the Celebrity All-Star game to the Three-Point Contest to the All-Star Game, there is plenty to be excited about on this fine weekend. This year, the festivities will take place in Orlando, Florida, in the Amway Center.

This year is especially a good one for Houston Rockets fans, whom have decent representation throughout the weekend. The most notable representation is in the All-Star game, where unsurprisingly Yao Ming was once again voted as a starter (thank you China!). However, the selection I'm most upbeat about is Kevin Martin's. After being snubbed last year (Monta Ellis? Really?), it is definitely fitting to see K-Mart selected this year. The NBA's head coaches around the league have had problems adjusting their defenses to stop Martin, so naturally they'd want to see him face off against the league's top talent. I could really sit here and drone on about Martin's game, but there'll be plenty of that after the All-Star game, and once the Rockets win the championship.

For now, let's introduce the participants for the All-Star Saturday events. Contrary to last year's Saturday events, this year the league decided to shift the events back indoors. Starting with the Foot Locker Three-Point Contest, only our own K-Mart and Indiana's Danny Granger are returning to the contest from last year. Last year's contest was a total abomination; the highest score put up by any player all contest long was 14. Martin and Granger made it to the second round of the contest, but lost to Manu Ginobili. This year, they are both looking to redeem themselves. Let's see the competition they're up against:

They have some pretty stiff competition, including one of the best shooters in NBA history in Boston's Ray Allen. No matter if K-Mart wins or not, I just hope the scores aren't as atrocious as they were last year.

Now to the Skills Challenge. This is an entertaining obstacle course that puts participants' abilities to the test. From layups, dribbling, passing, and jumpshooting, it's an entertaining event that pits the league's best point guards to see who can complete the obstacle course in a race against the clock. Like last year, the Rockets have a representative. Last year it was Aaron Brooks, this year it's Kyle Lowry. Brooks won the competition last year, so now the pressure is on Lowry to repeat for the Rockets this year. Looking at his opponents, it's not going to be easy:

Returning from last year is Boston's Rajon Rondo, whom had the worst time of all six participants. This year, I doubt he does any better unless he makes the 20-foot jumpshot much more quickly. Last year's event was entertaining, so I'm hoping this year will be no different.

Probably the event I'm least looking forward to, the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. After Blake Griffin won last year's contest by a landslide, he decided not to participate this year. A contest that desperately needs to be revitalized, here are this year's participants:

As you can see, Chase Budinger makes a return this year, but in a Phoenix Suns jersey. He represented Houston well last year making it to the final round, but he lost against LA's Griffin. I'll admit, last year's contest was a mildly entertaining, but Griffin's dunk over a Kia Optima was definitely over-hyped. Here's vaguely hoping that at least one of these players can restore some life back into this contest. To be honest, I'm just gonna watch this contest to hear Kenny Smith's reasoning for how this will be a top ten dunk contest.

Now, let's move on to actual basketball games. What was known as the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge last year is now the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge. However, the format remains the same, one in which puts the best first-year players (Rookies) against the best second-year players (Sophomores). Last year, the Rookies took a 111-103 victory over the Sophomores. Now, the pressure is on them to defeat the new kids on the block.

Rookies:

Sophomores:

Should be fun to watch.

Last but not least, the All-Star Game. As mentioned, the Houston Rockets have representation in Martin and Yao, but let's take a look at the rest of the 2012 All-Stars (did I forget to mention that Rick Adelman is also coaching the West?):

The Western Conference All-Stars took a 146-136 win over the Eastern Conference All-Stars last year, with Kevin Durant winning All-Star MVP.

The most notable snub here is Carmelo Anthony. He does not make his characteristic All-Star appearance due to injury all throughout December. Regardless, I don't think there was any reason to select either John Wall or Brandon Jennings as All-Stars. Is the Eastern Conference really that weak? Plenty of other snubs to go around as well; Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Bosh, and LaMarcus Aldridge among a few that didn't make the cut.

My prediction is the West will win it once again. Their reserves are more talented, and they have a superior frontline. I will also boldly predict that Martin will earn All-Star MVP off the bench.

So with the preview out of the way, here's to enjoying the All-Star Weekend with a few friends at home, and having a few drinks. Bottoms up!

Comments: (5)

Posted by Kobe #24 4-ever, February 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM
kobe a all-star? no surpise. i will also be no supise wen he wins allstar mvp. lakers all day!!!11!!!! :headbang:

Posted by Ariza's Bricks, February 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM
^English motherfucker. You just raped it like Kobe. :rimshot:

Anyways, I'm pretty sure even I could have won last year's three-point contest. Makes me sad my bricks don't have a place in these festivities. At least as a shelter?

Posted by The REAL K-Mart (Kenyon sucks!), February 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM
K-Mart will win All-Star MVP, OFF THE BENCH! Bets anyone?

Posted by MillerLite, February 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Wow, look at all these players being recognized around the league, around the nation, around the world... And I'm just sitting here masturbating...

Posted by Knicks_Fan, February 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Man, I can't believe my man Melo got snubbed. That injury certainly didn't help our season nor his case for All-Star. At least my man Amar'e got in, so we do have one NY representative. :)

Note: This association was started in the 2010-11 season, so there is much variation on players and their teams.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: 2012 NBA All-Star Weekend Preview

Postby Mark. on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:05 am

Posted by MillerLite, February 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Wow, look at all these players being recognized around the league, around the nation, around the world... And I'm just sitting here masturbating...

:shock: :lol: Good preview of the ASW. I should really have done something like that, but just no motivation for it since I am not really that invested in the 2013 season. Will probably do decent coverage when I am actually recapping more frequently in the coming seasons.
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Re: 2012 NBA All-Star Weekend Preview

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Mark. wrote:Good preview of the ASW. I should really have done something like that, but just no motivation for it since I am not really that invested in the 2013 season. Will probably do decent coverage when I am actually recapping more frequently in the coming seasons.

Thanks, Mark. (Y) When it comes to ASW, I give it nothing short of All-Star presentation. I can understand why some don't give it too much priority since it really doesn't affect the season's outcome.

Got the Rising Stars Challenge game done and boy, what an amazing finish! I will get the update up soon enough. :)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Youngsters Turn in a Thriller

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

BBVA Rising Stars Challenge

A rarity, this year's BBVA Rising Stars Challenge came down to the final shot.

What a way to kick off the 2012 All-Star Weekend. For sure I thought this game would be lopsided; the Sophomores seemed to have an inferior team from last year's Rookie team, but maybe it's because Manny Harris found a way onto this team. Yet, the Sophomores were able to score the basketball by utilizing the driving lanes to get past the inexperienced rookies.

John Wall turned in a great game for the Sophomores as he had their only double-double with 25 points and 14 assists. Their offensive facilitator, it's no wonder the Sophomores found it easy to keep themselves in the game with easy buckets. Wall not only got his teammates involved, but he also picked his spots as he only missed two shots on the night, going 11/13 from the field on converting on both his free throw attempts.

The Rookies, behind Kyrie Irving's 40-point game, kept up with the Sophomores through their three-pointers. As a team, they went 16/21 from beyond the arc, an onslaught of threes that seemed to have no end. Irving turned in 40 points and 11 assists, while Brandon Knight kicked in 19 points and 11 assists.

The largest lead of the game was five, and that is a testament to how evenly matched both of these teams were. Come the fourth quarter, there was no let up from either team. Though defense began to show its face in the final period, it seemed as if everyone had already acquired a rhythm that it seemed defense was irrelevant. At the end of regulation, neither team was able to take it, after Evan Turner, whom top scored for the Sophomores with 26 points and had six assists, couldn't convert on a mid-range jumper to win it. The game was tied at 119.

In overtime, it came down to the final possession. After trading bucket after bucket for four minutes, both teams had problems converting in the final minute. Finally, Irving knocked down a 16-foot jumper with 2.3 seconds remaining to put his team up two, 134-132.

"At this point, we all agreed it would be for the best to take a three. All or nothing. It was unnecessary for the game to have gone to overtime, and we all believed the fans had gotten their fair share of pleasing highlights," Turner said on their situation. With two seconds remaining, the ball was inbounded to Turner, who dribbled, and then stopped to pull up for a long three-pointer. The buzzer sounded as the ball was at its apex, and when it came down, it swished cleanly, ending the game on a jaw-dropping note. The Sophomores won it 135-134.

In deciding the Rising Stars Challenge MVP, many were torn between Turner, Wall, and Irving. However, John Wall ended up taking the award. On top of his 25 points and 14 assists, he had three steals and two blocks. Wall becomes the first player to win the award back-to-back years.

"He was all over the court. I may have scored the game-winner, but we wouldn't have been in such a situation without his accurate passing. A few others were deserving of the award, but ya couldn't go wrong with (John) Wall," Turner commented.

"I came into this game with no intention of winning the award again. My game plan was just to put on a show for the fans, have fun, and make sure my teammates had fun as well. Feels good to receive this kind of recognition," Wall said.

This game more than lived up to its expectations. Plenty of highlights and not enough defense, but when you add a game-winning buzzer-beater, it makes it one of the more memorable Rookie-Sophomore games in recent years.

Box Scores:
Rookies 134-Sophomores 135

Image Image
Though not very imposing, Blake Griffin had an array of emphatic dunks throughout. | John Wall with a timely steal and dunk to tie the game.

Image Image
Kyrie Irving had the hot hand from beyond the arc. | Thierry Tirieux had a solid game off the bench.

Highlights:
phpBB [video]
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Re: Youngsters Turn in a Thriller

Postby Mark. on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 am

Epic game, some great stat lines put up there!!
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood