Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty!)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitt

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am

I didn't care for it at all, at this point the Meg bashing is just stale and unfunny. True, she's not a great character, but the writers' embracing and even celebration of the fact they aren't able to make her a good character or really do anything with her except pile on the shit just highlights their lack of talent and general misanthropy. Mean-spirited humour and unsympathetic characters can be funny and work really well when done properly, but Family Guy no longer makes it work in my view. There's no cleverness, no wit, the only joke is "Ha ha, look how mean these people are being!". It goes hand-in-hand with the other uninspired jokes they keep trotting out, like the stereotypical Asian and Jewish gags in the latest episode. They don't even work as far as politically incorrect shock value is concerned, because they're painfully unoriginal.

I won't say that I'll never watch the show again, but the latest episode did actually have me seriously thinking about it. It just left a really bad taste in my mouth, featuring just about all the things I don't like about the show. Had it included a chicken fight and a Conway Twitty cutaway, I may well have been turned off the show for good after that one.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:16 am

Latest episode could do without the long Christmas ghost scene, other than that it was alright
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:56 am

For me, not much better than the last episode, which I loathed. A couple of decent lines but the painfully long Christmas ghost gag, the standard "Meg is something insulting in the story world" gag, a run-of-the-mill "celebrity is old" gag (potshots at people like Cher and Madonna over their age were once zingers, but there's no sting to them now)...ugh, another disappointment.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 am

i read the episode description and it sounded like the star wars episodes, only with biblical characters so it seemed promising. it seemed a bit shorter than i expected
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Hence the amount of padding, the Christmas ghost scene being a prime example. It probably would've been better if they'd done a three story episode instead.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 am

Latest episode was pretty bad. Only noteworthy moment was the Brian Williams cameo. More meg jokes, more Chris is dumb jokes, stupid cutaways, etc.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Agreed, I go so far as to call it awful. Pretty much every joke was uninspired, more attempts at offensive humour that forgot about the humour, more mean-spiritedness and no freshness or originality. This season has largely sucked so far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 pm

i liked the russell brand joke. it pretty much sums up my thoughts on that guy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 pm

It was perhaps one of their more on-point jabs, but these days I feel Family Guy should lift its game to a much higher standard before it takes shots at anyone, deserving or otherwise.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 am

Episode was a bit better yesterday. The main point of last week's episode was Space Camp, which ended up going into a trip to Space where they couldn't get back. This one had a better plot
ixcuincle

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:27 am

i dont think we watch family guy for the plot :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 pm

It's not where you look for great storytelling, but at their best they are usually able to tell a coherent story along with having good jokes. When the plot is underwhelming, it's all on the gags which means when they're off the mark - as they have been recently - the show scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe my expectations have been lowered by the recent poor run of episodes but I liked this one a lot better. They stuck to one plot so as ixcuincle said it was coherent, most of the jokes landed and the episode didn't have the vile mean-spiritedness and bad attempts at shock humour that have plagued the show as of late, thus all the humour wasn't sucked out of the episode. Best one in a little while.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

"You forgot to say.."

"..I forgot to say clear"
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm

One of the more memorable jokes from the latest episode, for sure.

Not bad, not bad at all. Another one that's thankfully a far cry from that run of three or four really awful episodes late last year. There were a couple of the usual lame attempts at shock humour that fell absolutely flat, but they kept the bad jokes to a minimum and actually ended on a pretty funny one, instead of the clunkers that they try to punctuate a lot of episodes with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:21 pm

This episode is kind of like the Simpsons short stories episode, but it's alright. Also like the time machine bit :lol:
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:24 am

Yeah, it definitely reminded me of "22 Short Films About Springfield". While it's nowhere near as good, credit where it's due: it was still very well done, entertaining and quite funny. My only real gripes were Meg's story and the cervical cancer joke; the former because it's been done so many times and once again the joke was basically just "Hurr hurr, let's dump on Meg", the latter because I felt it was in incredibly poor taste (even for a show with Family Guy's tone) and another uninspired attempt at shock humour that forgot about the humour part. Other than that, one of my favourite episodes this season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:18 pm

was a very good episode all-around. i liked how they jumped to all the characters during the episode
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 am

Good episode last week. The Herbert character and all of the related jokes probably should've been run into the ground at this point, but they're still usually pretty funny and they worked this time as well; Mike Henry's voice acting probably has a lot to do with that. The subplot wasn't anything special, a couple of funny moments but it was filler crammed with filler. Mayor West was, as he so often does, provided one of the best non-sequiturs of the episode.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm

The episode this week was just okay. The cutaways are stupid and the repeated references to Peter being a grown-up kid are stupid.

At this point, Family Guy is just low brow television compared to quality programming like Bob's Burgers and American Dad. I've become a bigger fan of those shows, which don't rely on stupid gags and simply tell a funny story.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

I'd call the latest episode pretty awful. The "sock Lois" scene was about the only funny part for me, everything else fell flat. Family Guy can be very funny when it's on, but at this point it doesn't seem like they're trying. I hate to make the inevitable Simpsons comparison, but even in their post-post-classic era, it still feels like they're trying and it usually means a pretty decent episode at least once in a while. In fact, compared to other recent seasons, Season 24 of The Simpsons has been reasonably good for the most part.

Family Guy, though? They're really phoning it in and the latest episode was as good an example as any. Peter farts on Meg's head for the millionth time. We get a few more wheelchair jokes at Joe's expense. There's another couple of uninspired Jewish jokes, which has become a "once an episode" affair for them. We have Peter and Lois being horrible to their kids and lousy people in general, yet we're supposed to care about their marital problems...probably, they seemed to be going that route with the plot at any rate.

This is why I really dislike it when the show takes swipes at other shows, actors and the like. Aside from being lazy humour and a crutch for them, they're in no position to comment on the quality of other shows while putting out rubbish themselves. Perhaps if they spent a bit more time coming up with jokes and freshly funny stories and situations involving their characters and less time bashing things the writers don't like, Family Guy would be more consistently entertaining. Again, when it's firing on all cylinders, it's very funny and doesn't necessarily need great storytelling. Right now though, they're phoning it in, in all respects.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:46 pm

It kinda annoyed me that Peter didn't recognise the voice of the person he's been married to for years. It's not like Lois put on an accent or anything either.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

I guess we're supposed to believe he's just that stupid and clueless.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Not a stretch really given 95% of the things we've seen him do in the past. :wink:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby benji on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 pm

What if I told you I'm holding in a very big dump?
benji

Postby benji on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Cliche, but pretty decent episode this week.
benji

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic