::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: 2013-14 Season Preview

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: NLSCers

Postby Khanwarrior on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 am

Yes, 1
Khanwarrior

Postby Durant35 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes, 1.
Click the pic!

THUNDER UP II: RESTART

an Oklahoma City Thunder Association
Durant35

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 am

Yes, 1
Solaris Phase Two

Postby kurotsugi on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Yes, 1
kurotsugi

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Mid-Season League Standings

1. Heat 34-16
2. Bulls 33-19
3. 76ers 31-20
4. Wizards 31-20
5. Pacers 31-22
6. Nets 31-22
7. Bucks 28-23
8. Raptors 26-27
- - - - - - - - - -
9. Knicks 23-27
10. Hawks 23-28
11. Pistons 24-30
12. Magic 23-29
13. Cavaliers 23-30
14. Celtics 19-33
15. Bobcats 16-36

1. Thunder41-12
2. Clippers 35-21
3. Lakers 31-23
4. Nuggets 30-24
5. Jazz 30-24
6. Spurs 29-25
7. Timberwolves 26-24
8. Suns 26-27
- - - - - - - - - -
9. Grizzlies 24-27
10. Kings 24-30
11. Mavericks 21-31
12. Warriors 20-32
13. Rockets 19-36
14. Trailblazers 18-35
15. Hornets 18-35
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Updated: February 19, 2013
All-Star MVP Anthony Still Has Work To Do
Carmelo Anthony needs to help the Knicks win before he can stake a MVP claim and Woody Hanne’s first annual midseason NBA awards roundup!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Woody Hannes
ESPN.com Writer

Carmelo Anthony was arguably the best player on the court during the NBA All-Star Game. I saw Melo play last Summer at London for Team USA and he was deadly against Nigeria. After the first quarter of the All-Star Game, he had that same look as he effortlessly sunk shot after shot to pile on 15 points. He then had another four treys in the second quarter to finish with 27 points in the half.

Yes – 27 points in the first half of the All-Star Game.

To say he was on fire would be an understatement. Melo missed just 2 shots in the whole first half and forced Lebron James, Kobe Bryant and even his closest competitor on the night, Kevin Durant, to take a backseat.

Melo may have rewritten the record books by finishing the game with 51 points in a decisive Eastern Conference win but he still has a long way to go before he can really back himself up when he says he is one of the best players in the NBA. A great player is a talented individual or a strong teammate. The best players have both of those attributes plus are strong leaders. Melo has not proven to me that he is one of the best in the league. The best way to judge leadership is by how well teammates play when you are around and if you can elevate them.

James, Bryant, Durant, Chris Paul, Derek Rose all have it. Melo doesn’t yet and time is running out for him to show us that he can before his career is all wound up!

If the Knicks can somehow sneak into the playoffs, as Melo has promised, then I may change my mind. But the just out of eighth place Knicks are not in a good position right now.

Woody’s Midseason Awards

Midseason Eastern Conference Most Valuable Player

Lebron James, Miami Heat (23.5 PPG 7.7 RPG 6.4 APG 1.8 SPG)
Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls (23.7 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 6.6 APG, 1.4 SPG)

Firstly, sorry Melo.

Secondly, this one is too close to call. Rose has been brilliant this season for the Bulls but James is undeniably the best player in the league. The Heat and Bulls are 1 and 2 in the East and I expect that to be the same in a few months when the second season starts. If James turns it up and the Heat get a bit more separation from the Bulls, then I will need to go with James. If the team stay even like right now and the two of them don’t drastically move up or down in terms of individual performance, I may have to go with Rose. That’s the beauty of this debate though, James is just cruising right now and if he really wants an MVP award – he just needs to turn it up. Otherwise, it’s going to the guy below.

Midseason Western Conference Most Valuable Player

Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder (25.3 PPG 8.0 RPG 3.5 APG)

I propose a nickname for Durant – the ‘Smooth Operator’. Durant makes everything look so effortless. The Thunder look comfortable up on their first placed in the NBA perch. Durant has been my West MVP. Thunder teammate Russell Westbrook (25.2 PPG 4.8 RPG 6.8 APG) has pushed his statistics up a little this season. However, Russ just isn’t the leader and efficient scorer that Smooth Operator is. Oh, let’s not forget that Smooth Operator is the reason why Russ gets so many good looks and gets his dimes up (Russ is probably sending me daggers with his eyes right now). Newly acquired Lakers big man Dwight Howard (24.6 PPG 12.4 RPG 2.2 BPG 1.1 SPG .611 FG%) is having a career year and making Mike Brown look like a Coach of the Year candidate. However, Howard has Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, and some guy named Kobe.

Midseason Rookie of the Year

Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards (15.0 PPG 4.5 RPG 2.3 APG 1.1 SPG)

Washington DC sports fans must be loving 2012-13 because they have two great rookies. The alpha rookie is the Redskins’ RGIII. Bradley Beal isn’t too far behind as his sweet stroke has captured the imaginations of Wizards fans and his overall game fit in a few nights ago in the Rising Stars Challenge. Teammate John Wall paid Beal a high compliment by calling him the first good player he has played with on the Wizards. Wow.

This year’s class of rookies is indeed quite strong but Beal wins because he is on a winning team. The other rookies performing strongly this season:

Anthony Davis, New Orleans Hornets (14.4 PPG 8.5 RPG 2.2 BPG)
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Charlotte Bobcats (16.0 PPG 7.7 RPG 1.7 APG 1.2 SPG 1.0 BPG)
    Damian Lillard, Portland Trailblazers (16.1 PPG 3.3 RPG 5.4 APG 1.8 SPG)

Midseason Defensive Player of the Year

Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers (12.4 RPG 2.2 BPG 1.1 SPG)

The Lakers aren’t the best defensive team in the league but Howard has been their defensive anchor and leads the league in rebounding. Howard has rebounded (pardon the pun) from a back injury and is causing trouble for opposing players trying to beat him at the rim. First time All-Star Josh Smith (9.9 RPG 1.8 BPG 1.2 SPG) should get some credit for his dirty work while the Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan (10.0 RPG 2.3 BPG) leads the league in blocks.

Midseason Sixth Man of the Year

Chauncey Billups, Los Angeles Clippers (11.1 PPG 4.0 APG .472 FG% .415 3PT%)

Everyone seems to have forgotten The Butler. Billups had a tough end to last season but has come back even stronger for the Clippers. The one time champion and Finals MVP has given a steady and consistent scoring option from off of the bench. Billips is actually shooting at career high accuracy from the field and behind the three point line. Perhaps a second ring is on the horizon if he can keep this play up!

Midseason Most Improved Player of the Year

Shannon Brown, Phoenix Suns (20.5 PPG 3.9 APG, 1.9 SPG)

The Sixers are third in the East and Jrue Holiday’s 16.7 PPG, 8.3 APG and 2.4 SPG are a big reason for that but don’t forget that the Sixers also added All-Star centre Andrew Bynum over the summer. Brown and the Suns have been much more impressive. The Suns actually lost an All-Star calibre teammate in Nash and Brown has responded in the best way. He has doubled all of his averages from last season (11.0 PPG 1.2 APG in 2011-12) and the Suns are surprisingly in the playoff chase!
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: NLSCers + Woody!

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm

More updates coming soon so please get your tips in as soon as possible!
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: NLSCers + Woody!

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm

CHAPTER 7

“What will it take to get him?”
Danny Ferry and Joe Dumars were having coffee hours before the All-Star Game was to tip off.
“You know he ain’t going to sign with you,” Dumars continued to campaign, “He was never going to sign with you guys again.”
“Was if he would want to be in Detroit,” Ferry laughed.
“That’s a risk I’m willing to take.”
Said Ferry, “Well, tell me who you’re willing to part with.”
“Drummond, Stuckey, Rudy and a first round pick,” Dumars confidently laid out his proposal, “You got experience and potential right there. That’s a lot of talent from all three guys. You will be laughing afterwards.”
“Stuckey is overrated,” Ferry was shaking his head, “Who the hell is Rudy?”
Dumars was about to speak up but Ferry stopped him by continuing, “Andre Drummond is a tweener. I like him but he ain’t going to give me what Josh gives us.”
Dumars pitched harder, “Drummond is a future Shaquille O’Neal!”
Ferry burst out laughing, “You’re fucking serious right now? Wow, that is the best thing I have heard all year!”
Dumars finished his coffee and stood up, “Don’t look like we’re going to make anything happen.”
“Not even close.”
Dumars stuck his hand out and Ferry shook it, “Look Danny, if you change your mind…”
“Call me when you have a better offer,” Ferry stated, “Don’t waste my time anymore Joe.”
Dumars turned and walked away.
“Jerk…” he muttered to himself.

Joe, Bobby and Brandon Knight were watching the All-Star Game. It was the fourth quarter and Josh Smith was on the floor at centre for the East All-Stars.
“That’s why we need him,” Bobby said out of the blue.
“What?” Dumars asked him.
“Versatility,” Bobby replied.
Dumars ignored Bobby and turned his focus to Knight, “Brandon, I am very happy with your progress as the leader of our ball club.”
“Yes sir,” Knight replied.
“I just want you to know that you are safe. We’re not trading you,” Dumars assured his rising star.
“Thank you,” Knight was reserved.
Knight took the opportunity to ask his boss, “So we’re making a run for Josh Smith?”
Dumars laughed out loud, “It’s going to be nearly impossible.”
“Didn’t work too well,” Bobby butted in, “They’re asking for too much.”
“Well…” Dumars paused, “It’s not an impossibility.”
“What do you mean?” Knight asked him.
“Yes – what do you mean by that exactly?” Bobby was intrigued.
“I have a trump card,” Dumars smiled to himself.
Smith dunked the basketball and the crowd were on their feet. Dumars was last to get out of his seat as he applauded the player whom he felt would be his.

“I’m sorry guys,” Bobby gave Shelden Williams and Josh Childress the bad news, “You guys will be off to Houston.”
Both players were relieved. Williams was rotting on the Injured Reserves list while Childress was just having trouble doing anything productive in Detroit. The Rockets had agreed to trade troubled rookie Royce White for Williams, Childress and a first round draft pick.
“You guys just didn’t fit on this team,” Bobby justified the move.
Bobby was a bit embarrassed that the team let Childress go after he put in such a good word about him to Dumars. Dumars didn’t want to deal with any possible whining from Childress so he let Bobby handle the situation. Luckily, Childress took the news very well.
“Thanks for the opportunity Bobby,” Childress shook Bobby’s hand, “I hope that Houston will work out for me.”
“I think it’s a good opportunity for you,” Bobby nodded, “You will get a good chance to get to work in Houston.”
Bobby was thinking about how poorly Childress was – he didn’t belong in the NBA anymore. After Williams and Childress left to clear out their lockers, Bobby phoned Royce White on the phone. What awaited him on the other end of the line was more than he bargained for.
“Fuck you! I wanted to stay in Houston you son of a bitch!” White was yelling into the phone.
“Hi Royce? Hi Royce – it’s Bobby Knight of the Pistons… uh welcome to the team.”
White wasn’t hearing a word Bobby was saying, “Fuck you! I hate flying. I ain’t coming to Detroit. You fuckers don’t even have cars left there. How the fuck am I supposed to travel? I’m going to rip your head off Morey you motherfucker!”
“I guess I caught you at the wrong time,” Bobby said.
“What did you say bitch?!” yelled White.
Bobby shouted back, seemingly oblivious, “I said I think I caught you at the wrong time! Cheerio now.”
Bobby hung up and went out to Dumar’s office.
“How did the boys take the news?” Dumars swivelled around in his chair to ask.
“Our guys were great.”
“And Royce White?”
“I will call him back later.”

Rodney Stuckey had demanded to see Dumars about the trade rumours.
“I assure you,” Dumars told him, “I want you to stay here for your entire career.”
“Well, I’m glad we are on the same page,” Stuckey noted.
“Of course we are Rodney. You’ve done a lot for me since you’ve been drafted here. You know how highly we all think of you.”
Stuckey was satisfied as he left the office. Dumar’s phone rang.
“It’s Danny Ferry on line one.”
“Great!” Dumars stated and answered the call, “Danny! How may I help you?”
“Look Joe, I am still open to a trade. Is Greg Monroe available?”
Dumars stated as a matter of fact, “You know Danny. I reconsidered my offer and I am thinking a deal involving Monroe, Drummond and Stuckey. Are you happy with that?”
“Throw in a pick,” Danny Ferry was tough to please.
This was getting too much for Dumars already – he was gutting his team and draft picks for a player who may not even resign with the team. However, he was confident he could make a pitch for Smith to stay in Detroit to form a strong trio with Brandon Knight and Greg Oden. Dumars knew he would be the laughing stock of the NBA for putting his eggs in the Oden basket. It shouldn’t surprise anyone though – he was the guy who drafted Darko Milicic after all!
“Let’s do it.”
Danny Ferry was a bit surprised, “Are you serious?”
Dumars knew he had the right deal, “Yes. I am confident that this is it. Let’s talk specifics tomorrow afternoon. I will fly to Atlanta.”
The next morning as Dumars arrived at the airport, he received an urgent message from his personal assistant.
“It’s off.”
“What’s off?” he wanted to clarify.
“The trade!”
Dumars was now stressed, "Look - I can't deal with that shit right now. I've got to fly."[/i]
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: Chapter 7

Postby Lamrock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:55 am

Love the Hannes article. Looks like I'm too late for the tipping so hopefully there's one more chance for me to get in as a first-rounder.

Interested to see what ends up happening. I wouldn't trade Monroe but a big trade can get you into the playoffs.
Lamrock

Postby Khanwarrior on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 am

This is getting interesting! But I hope that you don't trade Monroe, he can be a Bosh/Jefferson.
Khanwarrior

Postby mrmoves20 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 am

White was funny, lol.
The Best Young Team Since OKC - The BROW and the Stingy HORNETS!!!
mrmoves20

Postby Martti. on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 am

Monroe, Drummond and Stuckey? Smith is overrated.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:59 pm

As much as i love me some josh smith your giving way too much up for him, and hes not overrated to me :(
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Valor on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Martti. wrote:Monroe, Drummond and Stuckey? Smith is underrated.

Fixed
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Lamrock wrote:Love the Hannes article. Looks like I'm too late for the tipping so hopefully there's one more chance for me to get in as a first-rounder.

Interested to see what ends up happening. I wouldn't trade Monroe but a big trade can get you into the playoffs.

Thanks man. :)

There's will be another chance to earn points but if you don't make it this Draft, go for the next one as a guaranteed first round pick.

Khanwarrior wrote:This is getting interesting! But I hope that you don't trade Monroe, he can be a Bosh/Jefferson.

Well, Monroe ain't doing well for us this season right now. :(

mrmoves20 wrote:White was funny, lol.

(Y) He's not happy.

Martti. wrote:Monroe, Drummond and Stuckey? Smith is overrated.

Dmastawwe wrote:As much as i love me some josh smith your giving way too much up for him, and hes not overrated to me :(

All y'all said I didn't have enough to trade for Smith and now y'all say I'm trading too much. :lol:
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Leo, stop hating.
Fresh8

Postby Valor on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:58 am

Stuckey's overpaid, Monroe's not that great, and Drummond is raw as hell while Josh Smith is an All-Star. Just being real man, quoting from Skip Bayless here - "you know it and I know it" :lol: :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 am

At least get Korver from the Hawks, than I'll be happy. :)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Valor on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am

Martti. wrote:At least get Korver from the Hawks, than I'll be happy. :)

You want Hot Sauce on the Pistons?! :shock: :scold:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:42 pm

I'll be happy with the value for both teams, the destination sucks.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 am

Hawk Sauce now
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 am

That is the skeleton of our trade. Still matching up salaries. Hawk Sauce is a possibility.
Fresh8

Postby Valor on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Martti. wrote:I'll be happy with the value for both teams, the destination sucks.

The value favors the Pistons one-sided already lol, adding my boy Korver will make it more unfair than the the Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol trade :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:26 pm

I think trading for Dwight Howard will be the only trade that Valor would approve. :cheeky:
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 pm

CHAPTER 8

“The trade is off?” Dumars asked.
“Yes, the trade is off,” his personal assistant said, “Don’t even get on the plane.”
“Bloody Ferry!” Dumars was sick with anger, “Fucked me around like that!”
Dumars turned around and waited for a cab to take him back downtown. It didn’t seem like he was going to make a deal before the deadline. He met Bobby to get a briefing on Royce White.
“When the heck is he getting in?” Dumars wasn’t very patient today.
“Tomorrow.”
“He better not give me any trouble.”
Bobby pretended to laugh, “I’m sure he won’t.”
“Anyone call to make any offers?”
“Nope.”
Dumars finished his drink, “I’m set on sending Stuckey out of town.”
“What made you decide that?”
“Just a feeling,” Dumars explained, “I’ve just thought about it this week. He doesn’t fit in our future.”
“You never talked about this before?”
“Well, that’s because we were going for Josh Smith but now that we got screwed over – we need to get rid of Stuckey. He’s going to find out we’ve been shopping him around and kick up a stink about it. We already got a nutcase coming from Houston and I don’t want Stuckey to give me more trouble.”
“What do you have in mind then?” Bobby asked him.
Dumars was honest, “I’m stuck but I got a few days to make something happen.”

Royce White first arrived at the Detroit Pistons training facility to complete a physical before meeting Bobby for a quick meeting. Bobby remembered what it was like for him when he first joined a pro team. The excitement was impossible to hide for him back then but White seemed depressed.
“Hello Royce,” Bobby extended a welcome salutation, “It’s great to have you hear.”
White shook his hand but didn’t say anything.
“I know you don’t want to be here but we need to make this work. This is a business. I know as well as anyone about the business side of the NBA.”
White seemed to be ignoring him.
Bobby continued to try to get through to him, “We think you are a very talented player and could be a big part of what we want to do here in Detroit. You have a lot of potential. We can help you be the best player you can be. It’s great that you’re a Piston now.”
White wasn’t reacting. Bobby was quickly thinking of ways to get him to listen. He and Dumars wanted White to be a big addition to their team. This wouldn’t happen if White was going to be pissed off the whole time he was here. Bobby thought about his own experiences and then had another go at connecting with White.
“It’s hard to be traded but you are in a great position. You get to come to a team that will put you in the best position to succeed. You weren’t going to get a lot of opportunities in Houston because of your anxiety. Just look on the bright side!” Bobby reasoned with him to no avail, “When I was in the Euroleague I wanted this opportunity so bad. I nearly got signed but it got cancelled at the last minute. I let that get to me and I was a worse player for it. You can’t let that happen to yourself. You’ve worked too hard to get here.”
White snapped at Bobby, “Are you done yet old man?”
Bobby shook his head, “You should be bloody grateful that you’re still on an NBA team. No other team wanted you and Houston would have waived you and you would have been out of this league.”
“Well thank you fuckers for bringing me here,” White retorted, “I may as well retire than play in this shithole!”
Bobby gave up, “If that’s your attitude then you’re not going to get anywhere.”
White laughed, “Thanks for nothing you dick.”
White was leaving Bobby’s office as Bobby yelled out, “Practice is tomorrow. Make sure you’re there.”

“What do you think?”
“Of what?” Bobby asked Dumars to clarify.
“Richard Jefferson for Rodney Stuckey,” Dumars outlined to him, “We get a big expiring contract and more shots for everyone. I think it’s the first step.”
“We’re not getting anything in return,” Bobby was truthful, “We actually get nothing for two years if Jefferson exercised the option in his contract and stays here for two years. I think it’s a backward step.”
Dumars had actually already made up his mind, “I’ve already said yes to Golden State.”
“You what?” Bobby asked, “Are you crazy?”
“They’re throwing in a pick.”
“It’s a weak draft!”
There was an awkward silence.
“So you are serious?” Bobby broke the silence, “Jefferson and a pick for Stuckey?”
“Yes.”
“Fuck. You couldn’t have been that desperate to do a trade.”
Dumars nodded, “I’ve decided that we are rebuilding.”
Bobby shook his head as he was concerned, “Your head is going to be on the chopping board. Owner won’t be happy about this. You traded away one of his favourite players.”
“These decisions had to be made,” Dumars was definant, “And I need you to tell him.”
Bobby’s eyes widened, “What? Me?”
“Yes, you.”
Bobby sighed loudly, “You’re putting me out there looking like the bad guy.”
“That’s the reason why I signed you.”
Dumars later called the team owner about the deal and got an ear bashing. He promised that the team would be competitive next season with two first round picks to use in the draft. He also anticipated that the team would have cap room to make a run at a decent free agent. Time would tell whether Dumars’ vision would pay off. Before that time comes though, the Detroit Pistons were in for a very tough remainder of the season.
Fresh8

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood