Pre-Podcast Discussion: Improvements for story-tellers

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Pre-Podcast Discussion: Improvements for story-tellers

Postby Leftos on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Since NLSC has such an active story-making and story-telling community, full of some great Dynasty & Association stories that lasted for several years, we felt that one of the topics of the upcoming podcast should be getting your opinions heard.

• What could EA & 2K do for you to enhance the experience? What is the key missing ingredient?
  • What improvements would you like to see to the actual modes (Dynasty/Association/MyCareer)?
  • Which additions would you like to see that would help you do good stories (e.g. exporting screenshots, videos, stats, box scores, etc.)?
  • Do you play all of the games, play some of them and simulate the others, or just like to be the GM and simulate everything?
  • Do you use the team that will be the most fun to play with (e.g. a rebuilding team, a championship contender), or do you pick your favorite team no matter their state?
  • How much do you love NBA Stats Tracker? (Okay, okay, just kidding.)

Podcast #16 will be recorded early next week, so get your answers in before then and we'll make sure to voice it. If you don't manage to answer before that, don't worry, post your reply nevertheless and we'll do a small segment for you in the next one.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Pre-Podcast Discussion: Improvements for story-tellers

Postby Durant35 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm a first timer, so I can't really say that I have enough experience. But what I know is how do I enjoy my game.

• What could EA & 2K do for you to enhance the experience? What is the key missing ingredient?
    - Maybe some storyline development. Like the Dwightmare, lots of emotions and a better A.I.

• What improvements would you like to see to the actual modes (Dynasty/Association/MyCareer)?
    - As I stated above, I wish 2K would get rid of the BS signings. One time, I tried simming a season in 2K13 and Dwight signed with the Spurs, an unlikely destination for him and a weird move since the Spurs still have their Big 3. I would also like to see blockbuster trades. Secondly, I wish they would include the college players so that people wouldn't have to create a draft class.

• Which additions would you like to see that would help you do good stories (e.g. exporting screenshots, videos, stats, box scores, etc.)?
    - Exporting the box score and designing it like a real one. Only stats are seen. I would also like a better gameplay because no matter how hard I tweak my slider, the score is always at the 120+.

• Do you play all of the games, play some of them and simulate the others, or just like to be the GM and simulate everything?
    - Both. But being an association player and an NLSC Association Maker, I play half of the 82 game season and the whole playoffs.

• Do you use the team that will be the most fun to play with (e.g. a rebuilding team, a championship contender), or do you pick your favorite team no matter their state?
    - I'd pick my favorite team. I would enjoy playing more if I use them.

- DO A 2K13 VERSION! :lol:
Click the pic!

THUNDER UP II: RESTART

an Oklahoma City Thunder Association
Durant35

Postby Leftos on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Not up to me man. The day REDitor for 2K13 comes out and I get my full license, NST will become 2K13 compatible.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Durant35 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Hope that comes out fast. It would seriously do my association an improvement.
Click the pic!

THUNDER UP II: RESTART

an Oklahoma City Thunder Association
Durant35

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:56 am

As Durant said, it would be nice to see the players speaking up and showing more emotions, not just a thought in the player cards.
    Bring back the pressbook. :wall:
    Exporting videos would be nice.
    It's weird but I like to play all 82 -- that if nothing happens in between, you know me for all my troubles and mistakes. :oops: I also like to "intervene", like the old Live games; let the CPU play the first half and then play the second, or viceversa.
    Well, I picked my favorite team (Spurs) and the association worked like a charm. So I don't want to use them again, I'm trying with other squads...
    Waiting for 2K13's...

Hopefully you don't make a special mention of me in the podcast :P (this should be a sticky!)
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:42 am

Please note that a lot of my comments are based off my experiences with NBA Live 10:

What could EA & 2K do for you to enhance the experience? What is the key missing ingredient?

For EA, the key is gameplay. I mean, obviously it could go more in depth with the management side of things, but as someone who plays every game (most of the time), that's something they need to improve on. Post-patch, I saw some pretty crazy things in my dynasty; guys taking fade away threes with almost the entire shot clock, Robin Lopez literally disappearing from the court, people inbounding while being inbounds, just to name a few issues.

Also, I'd like to see players actually get injured. It adds more to the simulation experience and it lets you exercise your problem solving abilities better. After 17 seasons of my dynasty, I haven't had a single injury while I've played a game.

I can't really comment too much on 2k, as the only games I've played are 2k10 and 2k11, but from what I heard, they scrapped the D-League. I'd like to see them implement that again, because it added nice depth to the association experience.

What improvements would you like to see to the actual modes (Dynasty/Association/MyCareer)?

Dynasty: Outside of the areas I've mentioned need improvement, I'd like to see the stats from previous seasons in the dynasty to be archived along with the real life ones. It's a nice feature that 2k has. It's a good feature for those who like to archive stats in their stories.

I'm not sure of the current issues that Association and My Career has, but going off 2k11, the trade logic needs to be improved. When I played My Player, each team I was on basically blew up no matter how well it was doing. Also, your role on the team almost seemed predetermined. You start as the second off the bench, then you start after say, a month or so. Then you go back to the bench when someone gets injured. I'd like to see it more based around your player's performance, but again, I'm commenting on an issue with 2k11.

Which additions would you like to see that would help you do good stories (e.g. exporting screenshots, videos, stats, box scores, etc.)?

The EA server shutting down Live 10 online was a big blow for my dynasty. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to move forward, as my previous format utilised a lot of images. Exporting box scores would be a nice feature, as typing them out is one of my least favourite parts of writing up the dynasty.

In this rare instance, the NBA Live 10 way of exporting images and replays really doesn't need to be improved. In fact, it's a very distinct advantage that the series has over 2k. I thought the 2k system was atrocious, as a tap of a button will make the play jump forward far too much. EA has a far more precise replay function (at least in my experience).

Do you play all of the games, play some of them and simulate the others, or just like to be the GM and simulate everything?

I play most seasons, but if I want to move my dynasty forward, I will sim a season or two. I'm more reluctant to do so at the moment because the EA sim engine is practically broken. I guess this is another issue that needs to be addressed to enhance the experience. Something that seems a little more fair, instead of automatically sending your team to the lottery.

Do you use the team that will be the most fun to play with (e.g. a rebuilding team, a championship contender), or do you pick your favorite team no matter their state?

I'm lucky that my favourite team is actually one of the most fun to play with (Denver Nuggets). When I started TNL, I had Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, JR Smith and the Birdman; they're some entertaining players to control. If I started a new dynasty, the team is even more interesting, as they have some terrific athletes that have a fun style.

Outside of Denver, I like the idea of winning a championship for the first time, rather than a team with a history of winning.

A little extra

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Martti. on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 am

[*]What could EA & 2K do for you to enhance the experience? What is the key missing ingredient?

2K has been sort of inconsistent. 2K11 was probably the best all-around, as in 2K12 it was difficult getting to the rim and making threes was tough, in 2K13 the three-ball is too easy.

2K has done pretty well adding stuff, My-Player, C-A-L, VC etc. Live has to come back first of all.
[*]What improvements would you like to see to the actual modes (Dynasty/Association/MyCareer)?
    I think the off-season should be a little different, trades should be available all the time. Allow mega-trades for grumpy superstars (Dwight, CP3, Deron), avoid stars going from winning teams to lottery teams with cap space.

My-Career should have the option to play any game you want. Like I want to simulate and get to the Playoffs already, but while key-gaming, I play the same teams over and over. I wish there was an option to skip those games. Also, editing your position depending on which team you land on. Like a SF on the Pacers like I am is a pain for Granger and Green, who are unhappy and therefore the team chemistry is down.

Not have bench players demand more minutes on contending teams. (Like Lamar Odom and Eric Bledsoe, they can't start on that team and demand trades)

[*]Which additions would you like to see that would help you do good stories (e.g. exporting screenshots, videos, stats, box scores, etc.)?
    Ability to save box scores and team stats as .txt (or other format) files.
[*]Do you play all of the games, play some of them and simulate the others, or just like to be the GM and simulate everything?
    I play the games I find interesting. Like playing with the contenders. After some teams make trades, or I make them my own for them to mix it up, I play against them. And once I reach the Playoffs, I play every game.

In NBA Live, I used the sim intervention and played just the 4th quarter. Sometimes played 5 games straight, now with 2K playing 10 minutes a quarter, 1 game's enough.
[*]Do you use the team that will be the most fun to play with (e.g. a rebuilding team, a championship contender), or do you pick your favorite team no matter their state?
    For a long story I have used my favorite team (Sixers when Iverson was there and Miami thereafter). The Rockets I have going now is a bit of a change, but I like the team and adding a few pieces makes it a really fun team to play with.

I don't really like playing with re-building teams. Though the Rockets are in that phase, I'm doing surprisingly well with them and the simulation has been kind too.

I tried once using a team I don't like - Lakers. I tried to trade Kobe as it was in 2007(?) when there was Kobe trade talks, to the Bulls for Gordon, Thomas, Sefolosha and Deng was the deal I believe. Didn't go through with the deal so scrapped that.
[*]How much do you love NBA Stats Tracker? (Okay, okay, just kidding.)
    Haven't used it.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Mark. on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 am

I haven't had a chance to read many other responses so sorry for any double ups.

What could EA & 2K do for you to enhance the experience? What is the key missing ingredient?

Agree with Durant35, some storyline development would be cool. More player interaction kind of like Football Manager, ie having meetings with players etc.

What improvements would you like to see to the actual modes (Dynasty/Association/MyCareer)?

For Association I would like to see a better user interface. Maybe more PC friendly especially with the menus etc, like search functions just by typing etc.

Which additions would you like to see that would help you do good stories (e.g. exporting screenshots, videos, stats, box scores, etc.)?

I think exporting of Stats and Boxscores straight to Excel would be fine. But that is what NST is for right?!?!

Do you play all of the games, play some of them and simulate the others, or just like to be the GM and simulate everything?

I do a mix, I like full 12 min quarters etc, but don't have the time to play all games as well, so Sim about 2/3 of games. So it is important that he Sim Engine is realistic as possible.

Do you use the team that will be the most fun to play with (e.g. a rebuilding team, a championship contender), or do you pick your favorite team no matter their state?

I sometimes use another team, but will mostly find myself returning to the Magic.

How much do you love NBA Stats Tracker? (Okay, okay, just kidding.)

However much I love it, I will love it more when it is compatible with 2K13!!!
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Pitar on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 am

I'm new to writing association stories, but I still have a lot of thoughts regarding the game:

The biggest missing element right now is credible AI. People will have to fill me in on the changes in 2k13, but in 2k12 I have to babysit the AI a lot. In game, most of the plays rarely work, and even after major fiddling with rosters and sliders it seems an impossible task for in-game CPUvsCPU matches to have realistic numbers. (I'm actually impressed with the simulation engine, though) Out of the game there are a ton of head-scratching trade moves and lack of team direction or purpose. I have to spend a lot of wasted time making sure the game isn't doing something silly.

I would like to see Association mode get some love. There is a ridiculous amount of potential here. There aren't any AAA basketball manager sims out there, and the 2k series is the closest thing I've got to that. The 2k series really have an opportunity to fill that gap if they gave Association mode some more attention. Not to mention it would have the most impressive game engine of any manager sim out there (impressive, but still not accurate). I'll admit I don't play the game in the way the developers intended, so I'm not surprised or offended to see them develop the game in a different direction, but the game could excel here if they really wanted to, while simultaneously improving the game for typical players. Here are the main flaws for me, and some suggestions:
      • Game engine fidelity. This is 2k's focus, and they are right to focus on it--everything depends on it. It still needs more scrutiny, however, but I'm confident they'll continue to improve it.
      • Fictional character generation is broken. I can't stand having any of these players in my league because their tendencies and ratings are just all over the place, and their randomly generated faces just don't cut it. A lot more attention and purpose could be injected into the procedural generation of rookies and D-League players. At the moment it is a chore to make entire draft classes (I've made about 8 for my league so far, albeit with a lot of players of generic types being copied and pasted with tiny tweaks, but it's enough to make them feel real), and I shouldn't have to do that. CAP faces need to be completely gutted and replaced with some new technology. Would love to see that!
      • Do 3PT tendencies still rise like crazy? I think that's a bug that's been squashed in 2k13. Same with the team stats bug, which was a major oversight in 2k12. Kudos to 2k13 for fixing it, but it should've been squashed in 2k12.
      • As everyone has mentioned, trade logic, but I also like Martti's suggestion of changing the way off-season works. Trades should always be available during the off-season.
      • This one is a bit bold and unclear, but: Make my career mode a sub-set of association mode, rather than developing them separately, and let the player take control of managers or players at any moment. So whether you're a player or a manager, it all operates through the same system. Have the features of career mode be the result of a more in depth and dynamic association mode rather than separate experiences. As Mark. suggested, player/staff interaction could take cues from football manager; and that system could operate the same whether you're a player or a manager.

I don't really mind that the game doesn't provide a lot of official support for this, to be honest, and don't really expect them to. If they provided too much I imagine a lot of the stories would feel a lot more similar than they do now, since everyone puts their own personal mark on it. Being able to export data to spreadsheets would be the most useful feature, but NST (with middle-man REDitor) has filled that hole. It could still be opened up and made a lot more friendly, saving a lot of trouble for everyone.

For my previous association I played important games, but just watching them CPUvsCPU as a GM. I occasionally intervened with the coach feature to make sure the subbing wasn't too weird. Unfortunately the stats from those games wouldn't quite match up with the simulated games, which is a little bit of a deal breaker for me. Right now for my Seattle association I'm using the hoopcast feature for the first time. This is a compromise though. What I want to be able to do is use the actual in game engine to the same effect as hoopcast but with glorious in-game highlights..

I love rebuilding teams, but I like being competitive whilst doing so. Young, promising talent is a must. It helps that I have a lot of favourite teams! My last association was the New Orlean's Hornets, and before taking up the Seattle SuperSonics in my current association I was playing the Houston Rockets.
Pitar

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

We had some good discussion about this in the podcast, which you'll be able to listen to tomorrow. Thanks for responding everyone, great to get your thoughts and I hope you give the podcast a listen and enjoy it once it's posted. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 am

Episode #16 of the NLSC Podcast featuring this discussion is out now:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-episode-16/

Thanks again for posting your thoughts! :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Really liked the podcast, nice to be mentioned by name in that segment. :)

As you were discussing the position change depending on the team and roster, I can tell I'm averaging 7+ assists as a SF and I haven't played a second at PG since maybe my 15th game (Now 65 games in). I bet having two good PG's (Augustin and Lillard) affects that.

It was great in my 10th game I think, I was coming off the bench still, but in the second half, I started at PG. I did quite well, but never got that opportunity again.

And one thing I forgot to mention was that while you can choose who your team should target in a trade and the trade logic is much better this year, you should also be able to say, which player should not be dealt. Like you can ask one guy to get more minutes and get one guy traded perhaps, but when the time comes to pick 5 players the GM will target, they might trade someone good and someone you like. Like in my case, I got pretty fed up with Augustin making dumb drives and getting blocked, so I wanted Lillard in hopes they keep George Hill, instead they traded Hill.

And maybe if you request to get a higher caliber guy, they may trade a star on your team, you never know. I was afraid they'll trade Paul George if I asked for a better PG.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for listening, glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood