Rudy Gay Traded to Raptors, Grizzlies Get Ed Davis

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Rudy Gay Traded to Raptors, Grizzlies Get Ed Davis

Postby buzzy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 am

Pistons involved as well

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Going online now: ESPN sources say Grizzlies and Raps have deal in place to swap Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis and Jose Calderon

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Sources say deal will morph to include third team to take Calderon, w/Detroit at front of line to land Spaniard after chasing him all season

ESPN sources say Pistons poised to send both Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye to Grizzlies to acquire Jose Calderon as part of Rudy Gay deal
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Re: Rudy Gay Traded to Raptors, Grizzlies Get Ed Davis

Postby formx on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 am

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/01/ ... ownership/

The National Post’s Bruce Arthur has learned that the trade is in the process of being proposed to Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment’s Board of Directors. It is not a slam dunk to go through, as the move would add considerably to the Raptors’ payroll over the next two years, and would likely ensure several follow-up moves would need to be made by the Raptors.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby benji on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 am

(Y) (Y) (Y)

Even if Daye does have to go win a bunch of titles for the Grizzlies.
benji

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 am

Seems like everyone's getting what they want out of it, particularly cap relief as far as the Pistons and Grizzlies are concerned.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Alpha_ on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 am

Grizzlies - Ed Davis, Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye and a future 2nd round pick from Toronto
Raptors - Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi (likely to be waive)
Pistons - Jose Calderon
Alpha_
Night Knight

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 am

I'm happy for the Raptors though they still have Bargnani on the roster. Replacing him with Gay as a franchise player at least is a step forward. Here's to the hope BC still gets rid of Bargnani this season.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby bowdown on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 am

Prince is getting much older but I still like him on the Grizzlies unit. He can do a lot of everything still at his age. Brings a lot of playoff experience too. Now Memphis is strictly relying on their big guys only. Gasol's stats should go up
bowdown

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 am

Calderon is better as a pass-first PG than anyone we have right now, so I like this move. So much cap space in the upcoming off-season. Let's hope Joe D doesn't pull a "Gordon & CV", and actually makes something good of all this cap space.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:26 pm

NovU wrote:Replacing him with Gay as a franchise player at least is a step forward.

:eh:
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm

It is, considering how much Torontonians were tired of being force fed how Bargnani was a second coming of Dirk Nobiscuit by BC.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 pm

So not only do they get to keep Bargnani they get to pay another non-franchise bit above averagish player the maximum to be their franchise player. And they traded a good 23 year old forward and an expiring contract to get him.

And this is a step forward.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Ed offers decent defense and rebounding, and average offense with average ceiling and body. Let's look at another loss who is Calderon, a superstar ball distributor with bullseye shooting? Watcha expected from trading these two? DWade? DWight?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby bowdown on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

If Valanciuonsous turns out to be a good center. They can play bargnani's pussy ass at PF. With Lowry/Derozan/Gay/Weaknani/Valanciounous

not bad. Especially in the east.
bowdown

Postby benji on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:29 pm

NovU wrote:Watcha expected from trading these two??

I certainly would have been looking for a hell of a lot more than the opportunity to waste $40+ million in exchange for a good power forward half a decade away from his prime and $11 million in immediate savings.

I had completely forgotten they already threw away money on DeRozan too. So now you're spending what, close to $40+ million A YEAR on him, Gay and Bargnani now. Then we've got Fields on top of that.

A step forward! TAKE YOUR TWO BEST ASSETS AND TURN THEM INTO RUDY GAY!
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Hahaha. This reminds me of Nets discussion where I thought they were being idiots for spending money recklessly to build a generic 5th seed losers for next several seasons even in a big market with uncontrollable salary(which btw was proven right, look at tonight's game). But opposite argument was "What can they do?". I think that argument suits the Raptors better. It took 21 millions to bring Fields to Canada. BC and his team have been always FA losers and the trend is hard to break with a club like Raptors. Possibly building a prototype 1st round loser was a winning decision for the tired fans.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 pm

This team will never make the playoffs. And it's not just about signing free agents. It's about not paying the luxury tax. It's about flexibility.

I don't think people understand how utterly average Rudy Gay is outside of his contract.

Would you pay $18+ million a year for a prime Glenn Robinson? Because Rudy Gay isn't close to that level.

A SF who averages 14-18 pts, 5-6 rebs and 2 asts is literally average. You can find HUNDREDS of these types of players in the NBA over the last few decades. Gay doesn't shoot threes very well, doesn't pick up gobs of steals or blocks, doesn't get to the line in large amounts or shoot an outstanding percentage there. The Grizzlies probably could have waived Gay when he wanted the max and have drafted six or seven players to make attempts at getting this level of production by now and been successful with a couple at worst.

They, for example, just picked up one for 60% less and probably won't miss a beat.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 pm

Right. I realize he is the ultimate underachiever of "max paid" players and I don't like him at all. But I believe the Raptors can be a prototype 1st round losers with this guy averaging about 20/6/3.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm

What the fuck at that article, did Woj have a stroke?
benji

Postby xerion on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:03 am

benji wrote:This team will never make the playoffs. And it's not just about signing free agents. It's about not paying the luxury tax. It's about flexibility.

I don't think people understand how utterly average Rudy Gay is outside of his contract.

Would you pay $18+ million a year for a prime Glenn Robinson? Because Rudy Gay isn't close to that level.

A SF who averages 14-18 pts, 5-6 rebs and 2 asts is literally average. You can find HUNDREDS of these types of players in the NBA over the last few decades. Gay doesn't shoot threes very well, doesn't pick up gobs of steals or blocks, doesn't get to the line in large amounts or shoot an outstanding percentage there. The Grizzlies probably could have waived Gay when he wanted the max and have drafted six or seven players to make attempts at getting this level of production by now and been successful with a couple at worst.

They, for example, just picked up one for 60% less and probably won't miss a beat.

Good post, but don't forget Rudy didn't require the max. It was Heisley who waited too long, then got scared of other teams and threw in the max. Totally overpaid the player.

Now we can re-sign Tony Allen and build around Gasol and Wroten. Don't be surprised if Z-Bo gets traded too.
xerion

Postby NovU on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 am

OMG LOL! :lol:
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 am

phpBB [video]

what? whaddya mean he's traded? aw, fuck this!

pretty sure toronto was ok letting davis go because him and amir johnson are so similar numbers-wise
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I sorta thought Tayshaun was going to retire a career Pistons.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Finally Bryan Colangelo has loved Gay since his college days. He was seriously torn between Gay and Bargnani on draft night. I think he feels like if he unites them, the Raptors instantly get better.

Two-time Executive of the Year.
benji

Postby Leftos on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm

NovU, I'm sad to see him leave as well because of his legacy, and he was consistent in his numbers over the years, but keeping him would do the Pistons no better. Granted, I doubt Singler, Jerebko or Middleton can play proper SF, but I'd rather try Calderon for the rest of the year, a proper pass-first PG that can, among other things, get passes into the post and run the PNR with Drummond. Maybe we can re-sign him for cheap when all is said and done, if he plays well enough. And if Stuckey ends up going, I won't cry a single tear.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball