Trade - MEM/CLE: Speights, Ellington, Selby, 1st for Leuer

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Trade - MEM/CLE: Speights, Ellington, Selby, 1st for Leuer

Postby benji on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88680 ... ayer-trade
The Memphis Grizzlies have completed a multiplayer trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers, slicing more than $6 million off their payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold.

Memphis sent big man Marreese Speights, guard Wayne Ellington, guard Josh Selby and a future first-round draft pick to the Cavs for forward Jon Leuer.

The pick is the most valuable part of the deal for the Cavs. In 2015 or 2016, if the Grizzlies' first-rounder falls between picks 6-14, the pick goes to the Cavs. Starting in 2017, if the Grizzlies' pick falls outside the top five, the Cavs then get the selection. In 2019, the pick becomes unprotected. It is the sixth first-round pick the Cavs have traded for since 2010.
benji

Re: Trade - MEM/CLE: Speights, Ellington, Selby, 1st for Leu

Postby M3r$uRy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Speights is a serious upgrade over Leuer and he can even be a starter while Varejao is out. He'll get much more playing time so there's a chance he may develop nicely in Cleveland. Ellington will be lights out from outside and give Waiters a good reason to play with more consistency. He can be a very good off the bench scorer and an occasional starter. Shelby has talent and he's a very good back-up for Kyrie. And on top of a very good bench trio they also got a lottery pick!
The only "problem" for the Cavs is the number of guards they have. Aside from Miles and Gee (they can be guards when it's needed but their main and true position is the SF) Cavs have Irving, Livingston, Shelby, Pargo, Gibson, Waiters, Ellington. And the rotation can only support 2 starters, 2 role players and 1 reserve. Gibson's contract expires so he can be a good trade asset. And the other one to leave should be Livingston or Pargo.

EDIT: By reading the article I saw that the released Pargo so if they can trade Gibson the things would be ideal!
CF Releases & Requests Directories for NBA 2K14 & NBA 2K13

Find and request the Cyberface you want here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

::::::::::|> My custom soundtracks for NBA 2K14 <|::::::::::
M3r$uRy

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Solid trade for the Cavs in light of Varejao's health, while the Grizzlies shed some contracts to save money. By no means a blockbuster but seems both sides got what they wanted out of it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 am

This is John Hollinger move. It's been awhile that Darrell Arthur replaced Speights in the rotation as a first big off the bench. The Teddy Bears just turned their 4th big into something so that it opens up more minutes for others.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 am

NovU wrote:This is John Hollinger move. It's been awhile that Darrell Arthur replaced Speights in the rotation as a first big off the bench. The Teddy Bears just turned their 4th big into something so that it opens up more minutes for others.

Or more likely it was a deal to get under the luxury tax since everyone in the world (except you apparently) knew for months that the Grizzlies didn't want to pay it and were even more afraid about it going forward and that this was why there were even Gay trade discussions in the first place.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 am

Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 am

After clicking through the thousand links to backtrace to the original source. I find that the quote refers to a column from April 2011. This is Hollinger "raving" about Arthur nearly two years ago:
2011 Most Improved Player

Arthur
Darrell Arthur, Memphis. (plus-5.34). Who?!?!?! OK, I know Arthur is not a household name, but he's been a big part of the Grizzlies' story this year, and a rather unexpected one at that.

A year ago Memphis had the worst bench in basketball, hands down, and Arthur looked like a wasted late-first-round pick as he struggled with injuries and ineffectiveness. This season, he's been a rock-solid team defender, a money midrange jump shooter and the primary reason the Grizzlies haven't fallen apart when the second unit checks in. Arthur improved to 82.2 percent from the line after hitting 63.3 percent his first two seasons, added nearly 10 points to his TS% and six to his 40-minute scoring rate. We generally like our MIP picks to be a bit more prominent in terms of stardom, but if it's improvement you're after, this is the guy.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:48 pm

I personally think this kid wouldn't hurt the team with increased minutes of about 10-15 per game which Speights was getting. Sure the move was to avoid the tax but they knew Arthur was a capable of filling in for his shoes and him being Hollinger's boy and all that probably made it easier for them to pull the trigger on this trade. At least I think it was one of the factors in their decision.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:09 pm

NovU wrote:him being Hollinger's boy

Where do you get this?

They knew Arthur was a decent backup because they had already seen him be one. They got Speights in the first place because Arthur was out for the entire year and then Randolph got injured.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:23 pm

If you say so, it was all for the fucking clearing the cap then. Fine...

Current Grizzlies executive and former ESPN columnist John Hollinger has raved about PF Darrell Arthur.It's something worth noting in the wake of Tuesday morning's trade that sent Marreese Speights to Cleveland. In the linked ESPN column, Hollinger refers to Arthur as a "rock-solid team defender and money mid-range jump-shooter." It's not unreasonable to believe that Hollinger is now getting his wish by clearing out minutes at power forward. Arthur is a good bet to jump to 20-23 minutes as Zach Randolph's primary backup going forward.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 pm

You're quoting from the same site that was the source for what you linked to earlier, when I already posted the context of that quote. If you think that's "raving" about a player, we can't print the words for what you do to the Heat.
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 pm

What is this? Interrogation?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby M3r$uRy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 pm

Arthur has 1M less on his salary than Speights. That being said I believe if Speights was a more valuable asset they would have sent Arthur instead. So it's very likely that Hollinger preferred Arthur...
CF Releases & Requests Directories for NBA 2K14 & NBA 2K13

Find and request the Cyberface you want here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

::::::::::|> My custom soundtracks for NBA 2K14 <|::::::::::
M3r$uRy

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 am

Fine outing for Arthur against the Lakers yesterday, 20 points, 9 rebounds and a few assists in around 28 minutes off the bench.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball