Vince Carter wants to be in the Hall of Fame

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Vince Carter wants to be in the Hall of Fame

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Obviously, I mean it has to be a goal for anyone who comes into the league with a shot at being a star. But more to the point, he feels he's worthy of consideration

Add everything up, and it's not crazy to see Carter as a Hall of Fame candidate. In fact, he thinks he deserves consideration. From Chris Tomasson for FoxSports.com (via SLAM):
“Of course, that’s a goal,’’ Carter, a Daytona Beach native who returns to his home state Sunday to face the Orlando Magic, one of his former teams. “You hope [Carter’s career is] good enough. It would be a definite honor to go down into history with the greatest. I would love to be considered for the Hall of Fame … but I’m still trying to finish my career.’’ [...]

“That’s a tough call,’’ said Dallas center Chris Kaman. “I lean toward yes, but then again, you never know. … The cons are he never won a ring, but the pros are he had some great seasons where he really played well, went to All-Star Games, and with the amount of points he’s scored.’’

ProBasketballReference.com, which has a Hall of Fame monitor, lists Carter’s chances of being enshrined at 78.6 percent. But that’s down from 79.1 at the start of this month, and likely will continue to fall as Carter’s stats drop.

Using history as a gauge, Carter probably will make it to Springfield. He’s made eight NBA All-Star Games. The only eligible player to have that many selections without a Hall of Fame call is Larry Foust, a center who played from 1950 to 1962 and averaged 13.7 points and 9.8 rebounds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen once his career is done and he's eligible. He's moving up the all-time scoring list, he's a multi-time All-Star, and despite the many valid criticisms we can make of his career, he was a significant player in the league for a while there. He probably shouldn't be in first ballot when the time comes, but he's probably done enough to deserve the nod at some point when it's all said and done.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Vince Carter wants to be in the Hall of Fame

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 pm

B-R's HoF probability puts him twelfth among active players:
Code: Select all
Rank   Player   HoF Prob
1.   Kobe Bryant   1.0000
2.   Tim Duncan   0.9999
3.   Kevin Garnett   0.9983
4.   LeBron James   0.9976
5.   Dwyane Wade   0.9962
6.   Dirk Nowitzki   0.9875
7.   Paul Pierce   0.9828
8.   Jason Kidd   0.9572
9.   Ray Allen   0.9305
10.   Chris Paul   0.8286
11.   Chris Bosh   0.8274
12.   Vince Carter   0.7858

Most every player over .70 has been inducted.
benji

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm

lol @ bosh having the same probability as paul
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Ring and two NBA Finals trips against zero for both.
benji

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 pm

I'd have thought Duncan, KG and LeBron would be at 100%. That said, it's close enough for all intents and purposes; I can't see any of the three being snubbed, anyway.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:25 pm

He should not even think about getting in since he never really helped a team winning. With that said, the HoF already had a lot of questionable entries, so who cares at all.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby benji on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:34 pm

hova- wrote:He should not even think about getting in since he never really helped a team winning.

Raptors? Nets?
benji

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:38 pm

I like it. If Paul gets in, Bosh gets in too. Where's the Image button?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm

hova- wrote:With that said, the HoF already had a lot of questionable entries, so who cares at all.

That's the common criticism of the Hall, however I'm guessing that the number of players with a legitimate case to be recognised greatly exceeds those that have no business being there or at the very least particularly iffy inductees.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dan's Brain on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 pm

He was probably almost the league's most marketable player in the difficult post-Jordan, pre-LeBron years. Don't know how much that counts for.
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:37 pm

He's also ahead of Hall of Famers David Robinson, George Gervin, Walt Bellamy and Hal Greer on the all-time scoring leaders, currently closing in Larry Bird (much to Bill Simmons' chagrin on a recent broadcast).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 pm

benji wrote:
hova- wrote:He should not even think about getting in since he never really helped a team winning.

Raptors? Nets?

iirc the Nets never passed the 2nd round with him and the Raptors made the ECF once. Is this right? If it is, my statement stays like it is.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby NovU on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Keltner List: Vince Carter
I've read this a couple years back and was a good read. There's one on AI Iirc.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby graybakflip on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 pm

I think he deserves it, the way he made basketball a sport in Canada and flat-out the best in-game dunker of all time.

phpBB [video]
You laugh at me 'cos I'm different. I laugh at you 'cos youre all the same
graybakflip

Postby M3r$uRy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

If he wasn't ringless we wouldn't even have to talk about it.
CF Releases & Requests Directories for NBA 2K14 & NBA 2K13

Find and request the Cyberface you want here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

::::::::::|> My custom soundtracks for NBA 2K14 <|::::::::::
M3r$uRy

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:55 am

He is famous enough for the Hall, imo. He was good enough to be any team's go to player, and very marketable. While not winning any championships, his high flying acrobats put him over the top. This sounds familiar.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby M3r$uRy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 am

Pdub wrote:He is famous enough for the Hall, imo. He was good enough to be any team's go to player, and very marketable. While not winning any championships, his high flying acrobats put him over the top. This sounds familiar.

Completely off-topic: Pdub who are these on your avatar and sig?
CF Releases & Requests Directories for NBA 2K14 & NBA 2K13

Find and request the Cyberface you want here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

::::::::::|> My custom soundtracks for NBA 2K14 <|::::::::::
M3r$uRy

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 am

They're from Monty Python and the search for the holy grail.

Another question comes to mine about VC. Anyone think the controversy surrounding him in Toronto after it was reported that he said he didn't play his hardest would count against his chances of getting into the hall of fame?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 am

hova- wrote:iirc the Nets never passed the 2nd round with him and the Raptors made the ECF once. Is this right? If it is, my statement stays like it is.

And how far do you think those teams would have gotten without him?
benji

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 am

his impact on the game's culture and single handedly destroying the dunk contest is enough for me.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 am

graybakflip wrote:I think he deserves it, the way he made basketball a sport in Canada and flat-out the best in-game dunker of all time.

phpBB [video]

whoa. i forgot how explosive he was. loved playing as the raptors in live 98, 99, 2000, 2001. notice the big difference between the raptors dunks and nets dunks? although the one on Zo was pretty nice.

btw, iverson's HOF probability is .998
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 am

Pdub wrote:Another question comes to mine about VC. Anyone think the controversy surrounding him in Toronto after it was reported that he said he didn't play his hardest would count against his chances of getting into the hall of fame?

It's definitely a blot on his career, but I don't think it'll matter in the end. I thought that Dennis Rodman's off-court antics might keep him out of the Hall but he was inducted (first ballot no less, which was great to see), so I don't think Carter's embarrassing split with the Raptors will be a huge factor. The fact he wasn't the top dog on a championship team might prevent him from making it the first time around if there are other nominees who deserve it a little more, but if that's the case he'll probably be inducted the next year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 pm

benji wrote:
hova- wrote:iirc the Nets never passed the 2nd round with him and the Raptors made the ECF once. Is this right? If it is, my statement stays like it is.

And how far do you think those teams would have gotten without him?

Don't know about the Raptors, but the way he left the team alone makes his entry questionable. Unsportsmanlike. The Nets were pretty good without him before so I don't know if he was really that important for the team.

I know VC can play and has delivered at times, maybe I just tend to overrate the HoF. The HoF should be like Bill Simmons describes it in his BoB. Just make it a pyramide and drop Vince on the first floor, than it'd be okay.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby benji on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, I'm not making any claims about Carter in the Hall, I personally think the Hall is overly generous and political. Just questioning this notion of "winner" because Carter had a run with the Raptors where he was an elite level perimeter player and another run where he put the morbid Nets back in the playoffs. (And had some scorching scoring performances.) Carter played a central role in those teams making any playoff noise at all.

Carter's real problem (legacy-wise) is that he peaked too soon and got injured (which set his game back for a couple years) just as a desperate franchise made gobs of boneheaded short-sighted moves in order to keep him on the mistaken notion they were inches away. (And lost a superior player in the process.)
benji

Postby koberulz on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 am

Andrew wrote:
Pdub wrote:Another question comes to mine about VC. Anyone think the controversy surrounding him in Toronto after it was reported that he said he didn't play his hardest would count against his chances of getting into the hall of fame?

It's definitely a blot on his career, but I don't think it'll matter in the end. I thought that Dennis Rodman's off-court antics might keep him out of the Hall but he was inducted (first ballot no less, which was great to see), so I don't think Carter's embarrassing split with the Raptors will be a huge factor.

Do Carter's numbers even go close to Rodman's?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball