NBA Live Developers Thread

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Re: NBA Live Developers Thread

Postby Ermolli on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Some days ago I was thinking about NBA Live 14 and wondered about something. In my opinion Live 10 had a great atmoshpere in terms of audio, the difference about a regular, playoff and finals game but commentary was decent and what we've seen from Elite 11 or Live 13 was quite poor. I believe commentary plays a huge part in how immersive you can be in the game, as much as graphics and other audio, it makes you feel you're into a real NBA game. I remember reading about how many hours and lines the three man team of ESPN did for Elite 11 but from the gameplay videos it didn't flow well and the lines felt forced. Because of that I wonder why don't EA extract lines and commentary exchange from the real NBA games Van Gundy and Green have both been? Since in an article from Live 13 said how helpful ESPN has been with EA giving their layouts and others. then EA can take tapes of games, isolate the commentary from the rest of the audio and get the lines. With that they'd have a bigger library of lines to use for the game and save ours of recording in studd they already have and using it for specific lines about player and team stories, Dynasty mode and Become a Legend specific commentary.
Ermolli

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Look at it from a programmers perspective, though. If you have a commentator saying a line, you have to find a gameplay trigger to apply the line to with proper context. Shuffling through lines of commentary would take ages. It's easier to give them an idea of the gameplay situation and have them record lines while watching live gameplay.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 pm

In years gone by, they have actually presented them with footage for them to comment on and react to it so that it sounds natural.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

That's what I was referring to.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:43 pm

So you did, misread that last sentence. :doh:

Thinking back though, I can't quite recall if they said they showed them real life footage, in-game footage or a mixture of both.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

I don't know if they ever gave out that information. I would guess real footage, because they would be calling the action for an unfinished game.

I can just imagine it. "And Bynum is posing at center court!" "Hook shot for 3...it's good!"
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

:lol:

I remember being told about it at a community event where they did go into specifics, but it was quite a few years back now. Real footage probably is more likely though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 am

You can follow NBA Live gameplay designer Danny Thompson on twitter @nbadt29 www.twitter.com/nbadt29
22cedric

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 pm

I like how the NBA Live devs Twitter accounts have zero tweets regarding anything to do with news about NBA Live.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby JaoSming on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:56 pm

what is there to say? Reflection on games that came out years ago? Obviously no real information due to PR, but generic and vague comments on how great something is in development?

Until there is something concrete to discuss with the game, after the initial announcement or something, then silence would be weird. Right now, after everything that has happened, no need to read into it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Ermolli on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 am

Any information about a possible Advisory Council visit soon? Perhaps it would be interesting for them to see any progress and make an impact now instead of waiting until the last minute (even though the game hasn't come out in years).

I remember the "Move with a Purpose" motto from Live 13, maybe they can use this video for help...
phpBB [video]
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Still too early for any information.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 am

Andrew wrote:Still too early for any information.

Maybe you're right but if EA wants people to get interested in their next game perhaps they should begin doing something now, with 2K releasing solid games lately there isn't much interest in a possible Live game.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 am

Once info starts coming out again, whenever that will be, I expect it will pique interest as it did last year. I'm sure PR has worked out a timeframe to start releasing that info, in the meantime we have developers keeping tabs on what we're posting here, so for now we might as well keep talking about what we want to see out of the next game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 am

Problem is that it didn't pique much interest at all last year, we got more speculations than actual news and what we got was a leaked video (not released by EA) that only peaked interest because it was so terrible that it got attention from people. Yeah, later we got a trailer but it was more of a desesperation move than a way to attract potential consumers.

I know EA PR team doesn't need to show us anything but they "need" to release something if they want to gain some steam and hype for their (possible) next release.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:47 am

But people were interested in the prospect of a new NBA Live game coming out and talking about it; speculation itself is an example of piqued interest and that was there from the moment Kyrie Irving mentioned NBA Live 13 on Twitter. Even if they were sceptical about the game, they were still following the news while it was coming out, voicing their opinions and making speculations.

The preview "season" doesn't really start for another few months yet, so there's still plenty of time to get in early if that's what they choose to do. However, I think it's far more important that what they show is promising, positive and leaves a good impression, rather than it coming out earlier than usual.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 14