Royce White

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Royce White

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 am

We'll be discussing the Royce White issue in the next soon-to-be-recorded podcast (Jan 7 or Jan 8), and we wanted to gauge the community's thoughts on this before the podcast so that we get your voice heard.

We'll be reserving our opinions for the podcast, but share yours here, and we'll make sure it gets heard.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Pre-Podcast Discussion: Royce White

Postby airBerlin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 am

I personally can't stand when I see comments on this matter calling Royce White a crybaby, saying Houston wasted their pick, etc.

Am I the only one that looks at this situation at a much bigger perspective, a perspective bigger than basketball? Mental illness in general is a serious problem. I know there's a lot of people from a lot of different countries on these forums, so I can't speak for you, but in the united states; I feel like the topic of mental illness just gets swept under the rug. We've had so many shootings in our country, tons of which are related to mental problems, except no one addresses the topic. People point their fingers and blame everything else. Blame video games, blame movies, etc. The fact is the system is broken and there just isn't enough support for those with mental illness in our country.

Now I know the mentioning of shootings is a far larger problem than this back and forth between Royce White and the Rockets, but I think that's kind of the point that White is trying to get across at this point. I think Royce wants to play basketball, but I'm starting to get the impression that he'd rather address the lack of protocol for those with mental illness in the NBA. I'm seriously starting to think that he'd get more pleasure out of helping install a system to prevent situations like this in the future than have a career as a player.

I don't know if it's true or not, but from what I've read; there isn't enough medical involvement with the team. This isn't a situation for the GM or a coach to handle. This is something that needs to be dealt with by medical professionals.

That's just my opinion.

It's an unfortunate situation for both Royce White and the Rockets, but hopefully some good will come out of it eventually.
Click here to view my dynasty!
airBerlin

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 am

The latest, for those who haven't seen it: Rockets suspend F Royce White.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am

airBerlin wrote:I think Royce wants to play basketball, but I'm starting to get the impression that he'd rather address the lack of protocol for those with mental illness in the NBA. I'm seriously starting to think that he'd get more pleasure out of helping install a system to prevent situations like this in the future than have a career as a player.

He sure has a bad way of doing it by not fulfilling his contractual obligations to the team, a contract that he willingly agreed to.

airBerlin wrote:I don't know if it's true or not, but from what I've read; there isn't enough medical involvement with the team. This isn't a situation for the GM or a coach to handle. This is something that needs to be dealt with by medical professionals.

Hard for medical involvement to be present when Royce White does not want to meet the medical professional the Rockets picked to be assigned to him which he agreed to as a condition of signing that contract with the Rockets.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby airBerlin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 am

shadowgrin wrote:
airBerlin wrote:I think Royce wants to play basketball, but I'm starting to get the impression that he'd rather address the lack of protocol for those with mental illness in the NBA. I'm seriously starting to think that he'd get more pleasure out of helping install a system to prevent situations like this in the future than have a career as a player.

He sure has a bad way of doing it by not fulfilling his contractual obligations to the team, a contract that he willingly agreed to.

Like i said, I don't know the details nor do I know what areas Royce White feels like the organization has failed to deliver on. I don't think anyone on these forums knows exactly what was included in his contract.
airBerlin

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm

airBerlin wrote:I don't think anyone on these forums knows exactly what was included in his contract.

iirc earlier reports when the issue popped up and when Royce started ranting on Twitter.
Of course no one exactly knows except between Royce and his people and the Rockets. If we're going with that then this thread will be mostly based on reports, opinions, and assumptions making this thread as useful as discussing if Jeremy Lin is Asian.
Same way people are discussing about the Lakers troubles in the Lakers thread, what's the point of it since none of us are in the team?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby airBerlin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am

You're right, someone lock this thread.

:lol:

I don't know, I think there is plenty to talk about. I just get annoyed when people immediately jump to one side without knowing anything about the situation. I get even more annoyed when they then proceed to bash the opposing side.
airBerlin

Postby Mark. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 am

I agree with airBerlin that there is definitely a larger issue of mental illness in sports to consider. But if we are talking about White's situation in particular, I don't think he has gone the right way about trying to promote awareness at all.

As shadowgrim mentioned, if there are provisions in his contract that were meant to help him address these issues, or at least aid in that cause, and he agreed to said contract implying he was happy with the provisions, then why is he backing away from it now. Rather than making seem like he in championing a cause, it makes him seem like a spoiled brat, and seeing how many professional athletes have been acting lately it would be no surprise that he gets very little sympathy.

So yeah my view in summary is: important issue/cause however White has handled it in the completely wrong manner.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am

The podcast is out now with our thoughts, so we invite you to check it out here:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-episode-12/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

I'm 'bashing' Royce White because while his intention of what he's fighting for is good he's doing a stupid way of trying to achieve it. How can he demand better workplace protocols for mental health when he hasn't even spent enough time going to work. That's like a person who hasn't spent a week in work and yet he's already going on strike for better pay and benefits.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm

^he could just auction off his championship ring for mental health charity like metta world peace did.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Where's he going to get a championship ring?
benji

Re: Royce White

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 am

White has been reinstated and is reporting to the D-League. Poorly handled as the whole situation has been by his camp, hopefully they can put the whole mess behind them and make a fresh start.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby daninoz on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 am

He's playing today in the D-League. You can watch the full game live on youtube:

phpBB [video]
daninoz

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Promising steps as far as his NBA career is concerned.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:38 am

Just when you thought it was over... Royce White: NBA, Rockets ‘want me gone’
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Jesus mother of a butt fucking Christ. Is this guy not getting tired of tooting his own damn horn? Seriously. Just.....stop....talking....Is he not smart enough to see he is just being a prick and not helping anything?
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Well, he does have an assortment of psychological problems, but once again that's all the more reason for the people looking out for him to reign him in and encourage him to think before he makes these pronouncements. He's not doing himself or his cause any favours.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:27 pm

I didn't watch the interview but I don't see a single thing from him in the quote to justify calling him a "prick" or to blame him for anything. Let alone anything he said being blatantly wrong despite how dumb he seems to be. (Even the HBO excerpts quoted are just him giving a favorable one-sided take on the position.)

If you think the NBA gives a shit about any kind of mental health or even legitimate substance abuse situations, you haven't been paying attention.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 pm

bowdown wrote:Jesus mother of a butt fucking Christ. Is this guy not getting tired of tooting his own damn horn? Seriously. Just.....stop....talking....Is he not smart enough to see he is just being a prick and not helping anything?

Why should he.
You once said yourself you believe he's a sociopath.
Sociopaths don't care what others think or say so why should he care about what the Rockets or others say he should do.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Stress Fracture on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Drafting him is the worst move the franchise did since not re-signing Von Wafer. Damn.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby bowdown on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:06 am

shadowgrin wrote:
bowdown wrote:Jesus mother of a butt fucking Christ. Is this guy not getting tired of tooting his own damn horn? Seriously. Just.....stop....talking....Is he not smart enough to see he is just being a prick and not helping anything?

Why should he.
You once said yourself you believe he's a sociopath.
Sociopaths don't care what others think or say so why should he care about what the Rockets or others say he should do.

Youre on that troll train once again but Ill still indulge you.

It is just hard for a normal person like me to grip my mind around the actions of a sociopath. Even if I am aware of it. Regardless of if he is a sociopath or not, Im guessing he should atleast have the intelligence to realize he is doing more harm to his selfish cause by talking so much shit.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 am

Given his issues, that might not be a reasonable expectation. Again though, you'd expect the people he has around to support him to be exercising better judgement (or at least you'd hope so).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 am

bowdown wrote:It is just hard for a normal person like me to grip my mind around the actions of a sociopath.

lol, how do you know you're a normal person?

bowdown wrote:Im guessing he should atleast have the intelligence to realize he is doing more harm to his selfish cause by talking so much shit.

Then you completely miss the point of mental illness then.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:03 am

Rockets rookie Royce White slated to return to D-League team after leaving it without permission

To his credit, he called it a "miscommunication" on Twitter and thanked the Vipers for their understanding, rather than claiming there was another plot against him. It still seems like he needs to be surrounded by better advisers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball