EA Sports provides NBA dream for O'Gallagher

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

EA Sports provides NBA dream for O'Gallagher

Postby 22cedric on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 am

22cedric

Re: EA Sports provides NBA dream for O'Gallagher

Postby JBulls on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:38 am

So he's helping to fix up the terrible gameplay and animations (among other things) that were one of, if not, the main reasons live '13 was cancelled. Great, hopefully live '14 will be spectacular. In my eyes they had 2K's number on every facet except gameplay, animations, and character models.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Nice article, it's cool to see him profiled like that. EA's got a lot of ground to make up with NBA Live, a lot of things have to come together for it to be successful again, but it's good to know that the people working on it do give a damn and that EA has brought in people like Scott who are not only enthusiastic about basketball, but also have insight into the sport at the professional level. I'd like to think that it gives the game a fighting chance at having success in the long run, on top of some of the tech they have to work with. As always, best of luck to Scott and the rest of the team.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 am

JBulls wrote:So he's helping to fix up the terrible gameplay and animations (among other things) that were one of, if not, the main reasons live '13 was cancelled. Great, hopefully live '14 will be spectacular. In my eyes they had 2K's number on every facet except gameplay, animations, and character models.

EA Sports wants the NBA Live series to be on par with FIFA, NHL and Madden in terms of a product (also gameplay priority #1). If you can imagine NBA live playing the way FIFA does with the fluidity it has, that's what they are aiming for
ThaLiveKing

Postby 22cedric on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:08 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
JBulls wrote:So he's helping to fix up the terrible gameplay and animations (among other things) that were one of, if not, the main reasons live '13 was cancelled. Great, hopefully live '14 will be spectacular. In my eyes they had 2K's number on every facet except gameplay, animations, and character models.

EA Sports wants the NBA Live series to be on par with FIFA, NHL and Madden in terms of a product (also gameplay priority #1). If you can imagine NBA live playing the way FIFA does with the fluidity it has, that's what they are aiming for

I heard them mention this in a Electronic Arts podcast I really hope NBA Live can compete & become the #1 NBA sim.
22cedric

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm

One step at a time. Get the foundation right, bring things up to speed, get the game back on the market. Then they can build on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Andrew wrote:One step at a time. Get the foundation right, bring things up to speed, get the game back on the market. Then they can build on it.

Get a ten month dev cycle, hack together old parts, bomb your PR, don't release. Go back to start.
benji

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

An approach they'd be wise to avoid in the future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 am

I'm pretty sure the devs have a plan that will work... it probably just depends on whether they're held back (or as I like to put it, sabotaged) by EA management or not.
JBulls

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:49 am

Katherine Coulhart, Communications Manager for EA Sports

Must be the same PR person that muzzled the Live 13 devs from posting here.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 am

Keep in mind that neither of the last two teams have had a plan that worked. Each team were new teams, except a few employees for Elite, and one for the return of Live at Tiburon. I'm not saying that management didn't have any hand in that, but there needs to be some kind of common ground or understanding throughout the layers of the business. Working for a corporation, myself, I can easily say from my experience that there won't be any. I was positive about what could be done with Elite for future iterations, I was interested in what Live was going to be like in it's return, but I'm not falling for this crap anymore.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:13 am

22cedric wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:

I heard them mention this in a Electronic Arts podcast I really hope NBA Live can compete & become the #1 NBA sim.

It's their mentality!! They see what 2K is doing, but if NBA Live is not on par with their other titles first, then they won't be satisfied with the product!! Might sound cliche but that's what it is
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 am

If they wanted it on par they would stop scrapping it and starting over from scratch. They need to realize that it takes 3 years or more development time for AAA game titles. That applies to quality sports sims as well. The only way they will get there is time and feedback. Feedback meaning they have to release a game first and then get the feedback so they can improve it.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:16 am

NBA Live is locked into a gas chamber & the gases need to be released. NBA Live needs a breadh of fresh air. NBA Live 14 needs to be the game where EA Sports can redeem theirselves from all the failures in the past with NBA Live & produce a high quality product that simulation fans will enjoy.
22cedric

Return to NBA Live 14