CATS ON THE RISE [2-1] MKG's and Kemba's Hot Play Torch Suns

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: CATS ON THE RISE [1-0] MKG Plays Big in Debut

Postby rise on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 am

And You Thought the Pacers Game Was Uptempo

Starting Lineups:
Charlotte Bobcats -- vs -- Dallas Mavericks
Kemba Walker --- vs -- Darren Collison
Jeffery Taylor --- vs -- O.J. Mayo
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist -- vs -- Shawn Marion
Andrei Kirilenko -- vs -- Dirk Nowitzki
Byron Mullens -- vs -- Chris Kaman

Huge numbers all around in Dallas tonight were a product of quite possibly the worst defensive battle you'll see all season. Monster statlines were expected in the 131-127 win for the Mavericks, who were led by Shawn Marion who apparently forgot it wasn't 2004, going off for 20 points and 17 rebounds, but also forgot he was supposed to play defense, allowing rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to get within a single rebound of a triple-double in only his second career game. Both teams were very erratic on both ends of the court, but both teams wound up shooting well over 50% for the game.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist followed up his debut with a near-triple-double against the Mavs. Had MKG had one more rebound, he would have been the youngest player to ever record a triple-double in the NBA, beating the current record holder, Lebron James, by nearly a full year. Kemba Walker once again led the Cats in scoring with 22 points, while Chase Budinger scored 17 off the bench, all in the second half, in which he converted all eight of his field goal attempts. The story and the deciding factor for the Bobcats was the fact they were pounded on the boards as Byron Mullens and Bismack Biyombo combined for just five rebounds on the night. "It was a disappointing night," said coach Mike Dunlap. "We spent the whole game down about 5-10 points and could rarely get back within reach, but every time we did, we'd lose a couple rebounding battles, give up some 2nd chance points, and turn the ball over. We're a young team, but there's no excuse for playing as out of control as we did tonight."

The Mavericks saw balanced play all around, including particularly spectacular play from Brandan Wright, Darren Collison, and Shawn Marion. Wright scored 18 of the Mavs' 25 points in the third quarter and Darren Collison flirted with a triple-double, while Shawn Marion turned into The Matrix of old. Elton Brand also turned back the clock a bit, to chip in a double-double despite a sprained wrist suffered in the first quarter. The Mavericks led for the final 34 minutes of the game, despite never leading by more than 11 points and never allowing the Cats to even tie the score at all. Coach Rick Carlisle said after the game that he does not intend to play at tonight's breakneck pace, but that he was impressed at Collison's ability to run an uptempo offense. However, he does not think the 34-year-old Dirk Nowitzki can play big minutes in a running-heavy offense.

phpBB [video]

The Bobcats will return to Charlotte to play the Phoenix Suns next game.

Last edited by rise on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Re: CATS ON THE RISE [1-1] MKG Follows Up Debut With Near-TD

Postby Durant35 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 am

Wow. Just wow. MKG's sick man. :D Liking the video highlights too!
Click the pic!

THUNDER UP II: RESTART

an Oklahoma City Thunder Association
Durant35

Re: CATS ON THE RISE [1-1] MKG Follows Up Debut With Near-TD

Postby rise on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am

Durant35 wrote:Wow. Just wow. MKG's sick man. :D Liking the video highlights too!
Thanks dude. :D

Next recap should be up in the next day or so.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

CATS ON THE RISE [2-1] MKG & Kemba Stay Hot vs. Suns

Postby rise on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Bobcats Beat Suns 114-109, Survive Epic 3rd Quarter Collapse

Starting Lineups:
Charlotte Bobcats -- vs -- Phoenix Suns
Kemba Walker --- vs -- Goran Dragic
Jeffery Taylor --- vs -- Shannon Brown
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist -- vs -- Michael Beasley
Andrei Kirilenko -- vs -- Luis Scola
Byron Mullens -- vs -- Marcin Gortat

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist nearly completed a triple double in his second career game and followed it up with another huge all-around game with 17/12 and 6 assists and a couple steals. Bismack Biyombo was huge on defense, while Kemba Walker dominated in literally every facet of the game. Offense? 27 points and 8 assists on 11-16 shooting and 4-6 from distance. Defense? 6 steals, critical rebounding, and limited Goran Dragic to passing the ball out on just about every position. Clutch play down the stretch by Kemba saved the team from destroying a 67-41 halftime lead that would even extend to 34, following an 8-0 run in the early seconds of the second half.

Unfortunately for the Bobcats, they took the cement brick off the accelerator in the third quarter and the Suns went on an insane 33-9 run in the final 11 minutes of the quarter, to be continued into the fourth quarter until eventually tying the score in the middle of the 4th. Michael Beasley chipped in 16 of his team-high 23 points, while Shannon Brown scored 15 of his 17 points during this run. Goran Dragic executed very well, despite superb defense from Kemba Walker, scoring only 11 points on 16 shots, but he dished out eighteen assists, ten of which came during the 3rd quarter run. Rookie Kendall Marshall also recorded a career-high nine assists, while Luis Scola stepped in to play extra minutes, after Marcin Gortat came down awkwardly following an offensive foul in the opening minute, spraining his ankle. Sixth man Jared Dudley had a solid night with 14 points and 4 rebounds, and contained Jeffery Taylor and Chase Budinger very well. 2nd year big Markieff Morris had a great game, gobbling up 13 boards, leaving opposing big man Byron Mullens struggling with ONE rebound and 33% shooting.

The Suns however, couldn't sustain themselves after expending all the energy necessary in order to make the comeback. They were met with key buckets by Ben Gordon, Kemba Walker, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Andrei Kirilenko down the stretch, and the Suns had no answer for Kemba's, Bismack's, and MKG's combined defensive effort in the 4th.

The Cats go up to 2-1 on the season and get ready to face MKG's old ultra-talented teammate Anthony Davis in 'Nawlins' in two days' time. Till then, feast your eyes on a full highlight reel of this game.

phpBB [video]

rise
Contributor

Re: CATS ON THE RISE [2-1] MKG's and Kemba's Hot Play Torch

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:30 am

If only these things occurred in real life! Curse you 11 game skid!!
SuperHueyNewton

Postby rise on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 am

Well, I've been busy over winter break, as a result, I don't think I've even checked in here for a couple weeks. Expect updates coming soon.

SuperHueyNewton, yeah, I'm glad that streak is over now. 18 consecutive disgusting games. I watched nearly all of them, and then missed the win against the Bulls. Go figure. :lol:
rise
Contributor

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 am

rise wrote:Well, I've been busy over winter break, as a result, I don't think I've even checked in here for a couple weeks. Expect updates coming soon.

SuperHueyNewton, yeah, I'm glad that streak is over now. 18 consecutive disgusting games. I watched nearly all of them, and then missed the win against the Bulls. Go figure. :lol:

:lol: Hopefully we can get back on track after the win, hope you can keep it up also
SuperHueyNewton

Previous

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood