NBA Random Discussion 2012-13 Season

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: NBA Random Discussion 2012-13 Season

Postby hova- on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't agree on anyone saying this is a cheap tactic. Just learn how to shoot freethrows. Heck, I play basketball like every weekend maybe, just for fun at university ... I never shoot freethrows, never practice them, I am not a good shooter, but I guess I'd still hit 30% or more from the line no matter how exhausted I am. Why? Because this is a uncontested shot not far away from the basket.

So every professional basketball player should at least hit 75% from the line with the 25% missing being no concentration, being exhausted or the fans killing you in the arena. That would be okay.

Apart from that, these fouls are ridiculous. You just wrap him off the ball in his own half of the court ... and they call a foul? Sometimes guys get hacked on a layup and there is no call. These fouls should at least be real fouls, making it a bit tougher to go for them.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Andrew wrote:Now, this isn't quite as drastic or big a threat to the game as that was, don't get me wrong, but I'm fine with the league adopting the stance of "This isn't great basketball, let's do something about it" when it comes to this issue.

So you're fine with rewarding poor FT shooters a free pass for not making their shots? Well that is certainly great basketball. If not what solution would you suggest to the hack-a-problem that doesn't give a free pass to the piss poor FT shooters?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby rise on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 am

Andrew wrote:Bobcats president Rod Higgins waives son

That'd be a tough conversation to have.

About damn time. He was literally doing nothing but taking up a roster spot we could've used to sign T-Will, JJ Hickson, Gerald Green, etc. But nope, Higgins had to keep his boy on the team. He had a really good game in a game where both teams were trying to tank last year, but he was probably the worst player in the league last season, and definitely the worst on the team, which included Diop, Carroll, DJ White, Reggie Williams, and Jamario Moon on it. We picked up Jeff Adrien, a 6'7 rebounder, who's been really good in the D-League. We need rebounding help in a bad way. He should be a lot more help than Higgins ever was, particularly since Mullens was benched recently, Thomas was hurt, and Warrick is complete garbage. Considering Dunlap started Diop and Biyombo last game just to try something out, he should have no problem giving Adrien Diop's minutes right away.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 pm

hova- wrote:I don't agree on anyone saying this is a cheap tactic. Just learn how to shoot freethrows. Heck, I play basketball like every weekend maybe, just for fun at university ... I never shoot freethrows, never practice them, I am not a good shooter, but I guess I'd still hit 30% or more from the line no matter how exhausted I am. Why? Because this is a uncontested shot not far away from the basket.

So every professional basketball player should at least hit 75% from the line with the 25% missing being no concentration, being exhausted or the fans killing you in the arena. That would be okay.

"Just learn how to shoot free throws" is a grand oversimplification, though. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be any poor free throw shooters. Few players are going to have the complete package and be completely devoid of any weaknesses and yes, that does make them a liability. However, as you go on to note, some of the Hack-a-Shaq fouls are ridiculous, like fouling a guy 50 feet away from the play in his own backcourt. I think that's kinda cheap and doesn't do any good for the sport.

shadowgrin wrote:So you're fine with rewarding poor FT shooters a free pass for not making their shots? Well that is certainly great basketball. If not what solution would you suggest to the hack-a-problem that doesn't give a free pass to the piss poor FT shooters?

Well, I don't think it's great basketball when a player is fouled 50 feet away from the play, in their backcourt, with the defenders not even looking to make a play on the ball, for possession after possession. It seems to me that's rewarding poor defensive teams and giving them a free pass instead, which I don't think is any better.

If you do take away the ability to intentionally foul players without the ball at any point in the game, poor free throw shooters are still a liability. After all:

1. They can still be intentionally fouled when they do have the ball and thus be forced to make free throws. Similar tactic, but both sides have to step up and actually play the possession. The opponent has to defend after the inbounds pass and if the poor free throw shooter is fouled, he has to make his free throws and not be a liability.

2. If a player is a liability at the line but he's left in the game anyway, with the likelihood that he's going to get fouled as soon as he touches the ball, he's likely not going to see many (if any) touches. That means his team is basically playing 4-on-5 on offense. No free pass there, especially if he's hanging back from the play.

Alternatively, you could simply bar intentionally fouling a player without the ball in his own backcourt. That way he can always hang back and avoid being put on the line, but once again his team is playing 4-on-5 so leaving him out there is a liability. That's a less drastic solution that eliminates the more ridiculous Hack-a-Shaq fouls while still making it a risk keeping a poor free throw shooter in the game, presumably to take advantage of the things he is actually good at.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Lol. Linsanity erupts again as Harden is sitting out. HOU leading the SAS by 2 after 3rd. Going to be interesting.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Meanwhile, Duncan's having an uncharacteristically off-night shooting the ball.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah. Asik's been good so far.

Very close game. HOU up by 5 but I really don't like how HOU are settling for jumpshots after jumpshots.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Works for me. Nothing against the Rockets, but I picked the Spurs in the daily predictions thread.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Was very exciting but sloppy plays at the end leads to the OT.

I think the Spurs takes this one. They were attacking well and defending well. That should carry into the OT.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dc311 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Tony Parker with his first ever triple double.Hopefully Duncan will have enough in the tank for the back to back against Utah and then Portland.It would not surprise me if Pop sits him in one of those games.
Dc311
"F@*K YOU WHALE!!!F@*K YOU DOLPHIN!!!"
Contributor

Postby Phil89 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Never understood why players need to touch the ball after free throws. But this is just stupid.

phpBB [video]
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby benji on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Superstition.

However in this case, Amir needed to sap the kinetic energy from the ball to continue his dominant basketball and life performance. So the ref was in the wrong to deny him, hopefully he'll get a few months away to think about what he's done.
benji

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Amir Johnson probably will not make it to the Hall of Fame, but after that he may be able to claim the weirdest circumstances behind an ejection in NBA history.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Immaturity coupled with frustration, there you have it, Amir Johnson. As long as the Raptors are under BC's control, nobody will wanna play for Canada.

Meanwhile on the other side of this planet...
phpBB [video]
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

T-Mac, spreading that international goodwill.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 am

Good luck with your jumpshot after an elbow to the shoulder like that. :lol:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 am

Andrew wrote:Amir Johnson probably will not make it to the Hall of Fame, but after that he may be able to claim the weirdest circumstances behind an ejection in NBA history.

Nope, that one has to go to Joey Crawford ejecting Duncan for laughing...on the bench.
Jackal

Postby Cartar on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 am

Jackal wrote:
Andrew wrote:Amir Johnson probably will not make it to the Hall of Fame, but after that he may be able to claim the weirdest circumstances behind an ejection in NBA history.

Nope, that one has to go to Joey Crawford ejecting Duncan for laughing...on the bench.

Some other ridiculous ejections
Cartar

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 am

Jackal wrote:

I don't know, that's easily one of the worst ejections we've ever seen, the height of pettiness and stupidity by an official without question. But a player refusing to let go of the ball after a made free throw? That was just bizarre.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kevin02 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 am

Cavaliers vs Kobe right now. The Lakers have no chemistry whatsoever!
kevin02

Postby Kenny on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Seeing the Lakers struggle has made it an interesting season to follow. If it wasn't for the Kings, they'd be the worst team in California at the moment.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Ironically the Kings also suffer from similar reasons. They have talented players but are under performing because of selfishness and horrendous management. Individually, they got players who could shine like a star respectively at their position. For instance, Isaiah Thomas went from ROY candidate to waiver list player overnight. He still shoud see minutes over garbage players like Brooks or Ferdette who are possibly worst PGs in the league.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby bowdown on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

I really wish Raptors would stop sucking. I wanna see them as a solid team. They have sucked for so long, even with Chris Bosh there that I cant help but feel sorry for them. They have had to endure Andrea bargnini for all these years....my god.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:06 am

Celtics/Mavericks turned out to be a pretty decent game to watch, going into double OT. The Mavs had a couple of very nice defensive sequences at the end of regulation and the first overtime to force the Celtics into a couple of bad attempts at gamewinners, but they choked in the second overtime when Beaubois made that sloppy pass on the inbounds with five seconds left, letting the Celtics eke it out. Almost another triple double for Rondo.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

lol at Melo trying to get D'antoni fired Twice

DECIMATED

benji

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball