Fly Fatboy Fly - In 2K19

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fly Fatboy Fly - Another JaoSming Saga - Week 5 Drop Ste

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 pm

under the hoop reverse Clyde Drexler style? or like Dominique used to do?

that intrigues me, but there is too much uncertainty and i was quite impressed with that self alley-oop off the ground
maybe try one where you "shoot" the ball into the air, let it bounce and dunk it :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:32 am

Qballer wrote:under the hoop reverse Clyde Drexler style? or like Dominique used to do?

that intrigues me, but there is too much uncertainty and i was quite impressed with that self alley-oop off the ground
maybe try one where you "shoot" the ball into the air, let it bounce and dunk it :lol:

lol, more like I start the dunk from out of bounds under the hoop, and without spinning, dunk over my head back to the rim. and thank you, a "shot" alley can happen to for sure. Although, late in the games last week I may have pulled something in my right elbow, thinking its the base of my tricep. Still hurts so I may have no choice but to do the uncoordinated lefty dunk Wednesday.

But in other news, I weighed in at 299.0 this morning! First time under 300 in nearly 4 years (the Wii Fit saga ended with me approaching 300 in August '08)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 am

Good stuff man, keep it up. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Fly Fatboy Fly - Another JaoSming Saga - Week 6 Under Ho

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:23 pm

299.8 lbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_HZH_gcqM
phpBB [video]

Take one off the list!

Obviously I do more than 1 attempt, and last week I even recorded some "gameplay", I might expand a do a "bonus" video each week of another attempt, reupload a classic moment from my old videos, or something to be proud oflike blocking an 8 year old girl off the wall.

....content!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I say two-hander next.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Like A Boss on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Love the guy in the background walking out of a door like a boss :)

anyways I agree with Andrew how about two-hander :)
Like A Boss
Bulls

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 pm

The Michael Finley. Do a cartwheel then miss the dunk. Doesn't matter if you miss the dunk, it's the full cartwheel that matters.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby rise on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm

All this dunking makes me wish I was taller than 5'7.

While I bitch about my height (or lack thereof), do the Darrell Armstrong dunk contest.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm

off the floor shot. we need some creativity out here these dunks would get you 5s in a dunk contest
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:38 am

I've been trying to get people to give me an easy AO pass, but no one's been able to do it :oops:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 pm

299.0 lbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHDV9xOkbc
phpBB [video]

Another one bites the dust....bom bom bom
  • Lefty
  • Under-the-hoop reverse
  • Two-Hander
  • Off the Glass (its not impressive, just a lob step-step jump)
  • Off the Floor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ZZ_8#t=43s)
  • Off a floor "shot"
  • Off One Foot (knee health dependent)
  • Under-the-hoop "270"
  • Superman Throw-in
  • The Mailman

Man, another tiring week. Too many people around to record it at the beginning when I was warm so this was another attempt after 90 minutes of playing. No worries though, I missed any oop, two handers, and the "270" when I was at the ready. Added the superman throw-in cause, why not? And the mailman, an easy one if I have another recording situation like tonight.

A 1 footer was attempted in-game. Felt the strain right when I jumped.....so don't expect that to happen until I can find more time to get on the stationary bike or actually work out.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Fly Fatboy Fly - Another JaoSming Saga - Week 7 Left Han

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Cool, good to see it's still going well. Still want to see a two-hander. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 pm

I can show you an attempt :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fp1eLJ5TQ
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Close...it's gonna happen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:40 am

Maybe you already posted it, but I wonder how tall you are and how high the rim is. I am 6-3 and very lanky, but I can't dunk. A big reason is that I cannot palm the ball which makes it more difficult, but also I am just not that great of an athlete, at least not an explosive athlete but rather more of the runner-stamina type.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:11 am

6`6" and it is a 10` rim installed over the summer
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Kenny on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:31 am

I've been following this for a while now. It's been a fun series to watch. If you could pull it off, a two hander would be impressive :)

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of your hops. I'm 6'4 and I can't even touch the rim.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 am

You guys over 6' who can't dunk really piss me off. Move those damn legs/feet and don't kill your momentum by "trying" to jump high by powering off the floor as hard as you can. You can't fight gravity with slow "strength" or "power". That actually kills your momentum. The quicker you get off the floor, the higher you jump. The quicker you get off the floor, the higher you can get.

That's why guys in the NBA had these crazy hops but it didn't look like they were doing anything different than other players. They would just explode, which is the best explanation for getting off the floor as quick as possible.

Matter of fact, don't even try to dunk. Just run and jump as quick as you can for a high layup and see how close your hands get to the rim. If you get high enough, lay it down lightly until you understand how to flush it.

On another note, Jaosming's videos are motivating. It makes me want to start up my leg strength training again.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:15 am

Pdub wrote:don't kill your momentum by "trying" to jump high by powering off the floor as hard as you can. You can't fight gravity with slow "strength" or "power". That actually kills your momentum.

how would you describe my jumping then? what you described is the only way I know how to jump/dunk and is pretty much my process. That is how I defeat gravity, lol. Granted, after watching my "Fly Skinnyboy Fly" dunks from 6-8 years ago I agree that I got off the ground a lot quicker, but it was still a complete destruction of momentum to a vertical jump.

So, I think to dunk "properly" maintaining forward momentum you need to do what you are saying (and build those calf muscles) but you can dunk through "strength" and "power"....it just ain't pretty.

Pdub wrote:Jaosming's videos are motivating

Thanks man. The weekly attempts are really motivating me as well and you can see a clear progression if you watch the videos in the playlist one-by-one http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... RQRtO-Ui2d
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:18 am

JaoSming wrote:how would you describe my jumping then? what you described is the only way I know how to jump/dunk and is pretty much my process. That is how I defeat gravity, lol. Granted, after watching my "Fly Skinnyboy Fly" dunks from 6-8 years ago I agree that I got off the ground a lot quicker, but it was still a complete destruction of momentum to a vertical jump.

So, I think to dunk "properly" maintaining forward momentum you need to do what you are saying (and build those calf muscles) but you can dunk through "strength" and "power"....it just ain't pretty.

Well, right now you have a lot of weight to get off the ground for a 6'6" guy, but it looks like you are getting up just fine. Especially since you are just taking two steps before your gather. I wouldn't expect you to try and run from halfcourt and jump off one leg or anything. You can dunk through "power", but I think the word is misused or misunderstood because people stop their running momentum when trying to thrust off the ground from two legs. From experience, I could feel the difference as my body gets tense or the muscles lock up as I try to "power" up, versus times when I was told that I was getting really high off the ground for a rebound, etc, which felt loose and almost involuntary.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Pdub wrote:You guys over 6' who can't dunk really piss me off.

this. at 5'7" i get about 1-3 inches away from the rim. i wish i was like 6' tall

and i'm still waiting on a self-alley oop dammit
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:26 pm

badreligionau wrote:I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of your hops. I'm 6'4 and I can't even touch the rim.

I can relate. I'm about 6'3.5" and I can usually grab the rim, but I can really only fingertip dunk a regulation size ball. Pdub's post definitely has me wondering about my jumping technique on dunk attempts though, next time I join some friends for some pickup games I'll be keeping that in mind.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 am

Qballer wrote:and i'm still waiting on a self-alley oop dammit

yep, that is another one I attempt each week. I dont think its my ball, but I keep getting weird bounces. It could be the entire floor is a dead spot (I mean, there are frost heaves....) or my old ass ball.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby hova- on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Qballer wrote:
Pdub wrote:You guys over 6' who can't dunk really piss me off.

this. at 5'7" i get about 1-3 inches away from the rim. i wish i was like 6' tall

and i'm still waiting on a self-alley oop dammit

It seems like my biggest problem is the damn ball. Sometimes when I go up for a block I get really high up that I find myself coming down hard because I'm not used to jumping that high. But whenever I have the damn ball in my hand (I already mentioned that I cannot palm it), I lose a lot of momentum on my jump and cannot get that high.

I can hang on the rim with one hand without the ball ... still I also have to strenghten my legs more, which I will do now with the winter break @soccer.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 am

hova-, try a self alleyoop off the ground?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic