WWE 2K

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: WWE '13 - Focus on Attitude Era

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Slightly out of character, as is the Bella Twins entrance. :lol: Giving Big Show Sin Cara's entrance is still probably the best edit, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:06 am

so I just rented this.....big no thank you...

I dunno, it is better than 2011, but I am just very unimpressed with the controls and gameplay overall. I played a few matches, made an arena, then did a TLC match. I got used to the controls quickly enough, and the graphics look great, but commentary was turned off immediately I got sick of it after my first table bump.

I think I'll move it away from the $45 price point and wait for the $30 one like I've done previously with 2010 and 2011. I want to get it at some point (unless Uprising is fun enough) but right now it is just a meh from me.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Was there anything particularly bad about the gameplay that stood out? Did you give any of the Attitude Era stuff a shot?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Unfortunately no, and since I only want to drop $2 on this rental I am bringing it back after work today.....maybe I'll "forget" and try it again tonight. (wife found it and returned it for me)

I don't know how appealing the Attitude stuff will be for me since I was wishy washy on Legends of Wrestlemania (although I still like the gameplay of that game)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:18 am

For me, Legends of Wrestlemania had potential but the old school controls weren't quite what I was hoping for and there just wasn't enough to the Re-live/Re-write mode for my liking. They've gone into a lot more detail with the Attitude Era content in WWE '13, so I expect I'll enjoy that a lot more.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 am

I guess I won't have to wait long. It will be $25 on Black Friday at Walmart
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby buzzy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 am

I'm already at the point of thinking about selling the game while I'd still get some good money for it. Still have unused codes for the Online Pass, Punk's attire, Stone Cold ATV entrance and Mike Tyson. I knew why I'd wait before I unlocked them.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 am

You're disappointed by it as well?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 am

My copy arrived, spent some time with it this evening. First impressions:

Positive

• Controls are the same as last year, so it's certainly easy to pick up and play.

• Attitude Era mode is extremely detailed, the retrospective flows well. I like how they've used authentic commentary and other audio from the original broadcasts, there's a good balance between cutscenes and matches. The in-match tasks are handled a lot better than Road to Wrestlemania in WWE '12, too. Presentation is great.

• I picked up the Fan Axxess package. The Accelerator option gives you the ability to unlock everything, but doesn't automatically do so as in years past. I like the idea of having it standby to unlock stuff if I grow weary trying to do it the long way, using it to get whatever I can't be bothered unlocking before I grow weary of the game.

• It doesn't look like anything major has been taken out; nothing that I personally notice or miss, at any rate.

• I like the feedback on reversal attempts, it helps a little in getting the timing down.

Negative

• The AI is still quite cheap, annoyingly so at times. While you need to be very precise in pressing the trigger to reverse a strike or grapple, the AI seems to reverse whenever it pleases and just a little too often, turning everyone into a great technician. AI is always going to have some advantage here, seeing as how it doesn't actually have to press buttons and all, but there are some unfair, rubberband AI type moments.

• While I do like the presentation of Attitude Era in general, it's kind of annoying that you have to start at the beginning with DX and slowly unlock the other stories. I understand why they did it, it definitely makes sense for the way they're presenting the mode, but I was hoping I could jump into the Undertaker and Kane stories first so I was a little disappointed at first.

• This year's game seems a bit buggier than previous years. In the very first match I played - Undertaker vs HHH - HHH grappled me and then we just stood there, continuing to jostle, with HHH not attempting a move and me not being able to reverse or break the tie-up. I had to restart the match. I also encountered a weird glitch where Kane and Stone Cold froze in a weird pose and started sliding - frozen in that same pose - up the entrance ramp, during a brawl. Then the game locked up on me when attempting a rematch of Taker/Mankind Hell in a Cell. That's three bugs/glitches in one session of gameplay, which I don't think I've ever had playing any previous games in the series.

• The Predator tech is better this year, but still leaves a bit to be desired with strikes that don't connect when they should, or don't connect with appropriate impact.

• This one's understandable, it's a hangover of the lawsuit with the World Wildlife Fund, but they're censoring mentions of "WWF" and even "Federation" in the commentary that's been taken from the original broadcasts, which is unfortunately a bit distracting. It would've been better if they'd just re-recorded the lines with "WWE".

On the whole, having fun with it while I continue to work my way through the Attitude Era content.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:32 am

Andrew wrote:The Accelerator option gives you the ability to unlock everything, but doesn't automatically do so as in years past.

So how does it work? The 'you failed this task' screen (or whatever there is there; I don't have the game yet) gives you a button to press to unlock the item anyway, or what?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 am

There's an Unlockables menu that displays all the content you've unlocked and the content you've yet to unlock. With the Accelerator, you also have the option of unlocking the content from that menu instead of completing the necessary objective.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Ah, righto. Definitely a good idea.

buzzy and Jao: What don't you like about the game?
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, I was quite pleased to see that, it's much better than the all or nothing approach the last two years. I'd like to give unlocking stuff legitimately a good go to begin with but if I find my interest waning a bit or some of the objectives too frustrating, I'll go ahead and unlock stuff so I can use it before I put the game aside for a while.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:31 pm

koberulz wrote:buzzy and Jao: What don't you like about the game?

i just wasnt a fan of the gameplay. I've been playing too much No Mercy and I never touched 12 so the controls were new to me. I only had one night with it though, I'll be trying to pick it up in a week
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:23 pm

well, color me wrong. Now that I had a manual in front of me telling me how to play the game, muy muy bueno. :applaud:

Very impressed overall, how the animations blend, the general gameplay, man, trying to play it like 2011 was my downfall.

Bought the $20 thing, unlocked all. Setup a Universe with TNA (with custom championships) and a old school Raw show (of course). Alternating PPVs between Raw/Smackdown and TNA/Attitude instead of 2 a month. And, of course, I downloaded ~40 TNA CAWs, a few arenas, and logos.

Yep, well worth it, and just :applaud: all around. Liking Universe so far.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby formx on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:08 pm

JaoSming wrote:well, color me wrong. Now that I had a manual in front of me telling me how to play the game, muy muy bueno. :applaud:

Very impressed overall, how the animations blend, the general gameplay, man, trying to play it like 2011 was my downfall.

Bought the $20 thing, unlocked all. Setup a Universe with TNA (with custom championships) and a old school Raw show (of course). Alternating PPVs between Raw/Smackdown and TNA/Attitude instead of 2 a month. And, of course, I downloaded ~40 TNA CAWs, a few arenas, and logos.

Yep, well worth it, and just :applaud: all around. Liking Universe so far.

Xbox or PS3? Because I'd love to add anyone on here who have the game for PS3.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:01 am

Xbox, the need for YouTube uploads went away when I got my capture device
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby koberulz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:39 am

How are match lengths on the different match experience settings, or whatever they were called?

If you go into match creator, set a time limit for each match type, then play through a Universe card without going back to the menu between matches, what happens? Last year the first match worked fine, then the second match just displayed '00:00' on the timer and had no time limit.
koberulz

Postby buzzy on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:56 am

Alright my two cents:

After finishing the Attitude Era mode, which was very well made, I have barely touched the game.

There are a couple of gameplay issues that really frustrate me and have kept me from enjoying most of my matches. Granted, these are issues that for some people are total gamebrakers, others might not really mind them. I'm somewhat in the middle, but they can really infuriate me at times.

One is a bug, which at the beginning THQ claimed to be not a real issue, then later came back and admitted of it being a bug. I'm talking about the CPU's constant one count kickouts.
Have a 10 minute match and hit your finisher but your opponent still has something left? He doesn't kickout at "2 and a half" but right at one. When you have put him away, you will know right away, because he doesn't kick out at one. You either get a one count or a three count.
We all know how big of a role close two counts play in these epic matches we watched. Think Taker/HBK WM25.

The second one has to do with the addition of OMG moments. The AI spam those WAY too much. If they would have their way, we would get a broken barricade and a finisher through the announce table every match. That really gets on your nerve when your opponent has a finisher and they refuse to hit it in the ring, but much rather irish whip you outside of the ring first, then into the barricade. And because they're super dumb, it usually takes them about six tries for them to get you into the right spot. That is fun. (Y)

edit: I forgot to add, there are some two counts late in the match, but only on Leverage pins.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 am

Strange, I've been getting a decent amount of two counts, though I'd agree there are more one counts than there should be.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BigKaboom2 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 pm

You'll see two counts on leverage pins and other moves that end with pins, but usually not on regular grounded opponent pins. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 but obviously it needs to happen a lot more than that. There was a huge thread on the official forums about it so they're aware of it at least. Perhaps they'll put out another patch along with the DLC release on Tuesday.
BigKaboom2

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Fair call. Like I said I've seen them on regular pins, but I'd agree there should be more.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:02 am

I've been progressing through Attitude Era mode, continuing to be impressed by the detail and implementation of various historical moments. There is a rather nasty bug during the Undertaker/Mankind Hell in a Cell match though; if you happen to fail the first objective of throwing Mankind off the cell - which can happen quite easily with the CPU's tendency to reverse moves - you can't quit back to the timeline or retry the match, as the game hangs. Quitting back to the dashboard is the quickest fix in that situation as you at least don't have to restart your console, but it's a lot of time wasted when you need to re-attempt the match. A quick Google search reveals I'm not the only one with the issue and even a review mentioned it, so it's something they should be scrambling to patch.

That said, I haven't had the game hang on any other match in the mode and it's been quite enjoyable re-creating all the matches and moments. As I mentioned before, the way they've implemented the timeline was a great idea since you can easily go back and re-attempt any match, so if you clear a match without getting all the historical bonuses to unlock content, you don't need to play through the entire story to reach that point again. I think I'll be able to unlock a good portion of the content before I start to grow a bit weary of the game and reach for the auto-unlock option that comes with the Axxess pack.

Also grabbed the new DLC that came out yesterday, pretty cool.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 am

got the DLC too, am I missing something or is AJ and Natie not selectable in the exhibition mode? I could select disc divas, but not them.

also found a glitch, if you do hell in a cell in the custom arena that is like a small gym, the crowd transforms into an arena crowd, so they're just floating. Still, winning a KO only HiTC as Bret Hart vs 04 Cena with a DDT through the cell roof, awesome.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:18 am

Just fired up the game to check, they're definitely selectable. First you have to select the Divas icon, then select the Downloadable Content icon at the bottom of the Divas select screen. They'll show up there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic