NBA Random Discussion 2012-13 Season

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: NBA Random Discussion 2012-13 Season

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:58 am

With that in mind, I'm going to change my prediction in the daily thread.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 am

koberulz wrote:What exactly was Pierce thinking?

Nothing. Just being old.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby RedPhazon8 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 pm

mrmoves20 wrote:I was hyped to watch the Spurs-Heat matchup, but then I heard Tim, Manu and Tony sitting out so I'd rather not watch.

I like how Stern commented saying, "substantial sanctions will be forthcoming". Oh man, let the decision of the coach to rest players be the undoing of major viewing numbers... It's an 82 game season, is anyone complaining when a team does it close to the post season?
RedPhazon8

Postby benji on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:54 pm

benji

Postby mrmoves20 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Stern should stop being on the Heat bandwagon
The Best Young Team Since OKC - The BROW and the Stingy HORNETS!!!
mrmoves20

Postby rise on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 pm

benji wrote:http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204240BOS.html

Also on TNT...hmm...

Good find, but that was in the last couple games of the regular season where most teams rest their starters.

I'm on Pop's side. He's the head coach, he can sit whoever the fuck he wants to sit. Stern should stay out of it.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby benji on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah, but what does it matter if it's at the end of the year or the start or the middle? You're still "denying the hard working fans" by not playing them which is Stern and Laker fans' anger here.

It's not the Spurs fault they're the only contender with legitimate depth. (Duncan only played 28 mpg last year for example.) What do they gain from grinding it out for 48+ minutes, stars playing 35+, with the Heat to try and get a single regular season win?

Pop should sit them another game (say on Jan 9th) and list "DNP - Basketball Reasons", "DNP - Substantial Sanction" and "DNP - French" as the reasons.
benji

Postby NovU on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Typical Stern on power trip. Tactical resting for the better interest of future, but hurts the TV rating and ticket sales upset Stern. How about well being of SAS as a franchise. Who da fuck does Stern think he is anyways?

Anyways awesome games tonight. Both the games were exciting. Loving Ray Allen. Bet Boston Dirtics fans miss him. The Heat are great in clutch now with Ray. Loving it so much. As for the Golden States win, it was fucking crazy. 0.3 and yet Nuggets nearly got the shot off and stole the show. The Nuggets led most of the game but that 4th quarter meltdown...
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby moe szyslak on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Duncan is 36, Manu is 35.
Somehow, the team has to learn how to play without them. I think it's a good idea to play every now and then without them, just to see how they have to work in a future re-building, if necessary.
Actually they only lost by 5, it's not that they lost by a huge difference.
moe szyslak

Postby moe szyslak on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Doesn't he looks like mr.fantastic in this pic?
moe szyslak

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:04 pm

NovU wrote:The Heat are great in clutch now with Ray.

Another player along with Wade to carry Lerbon's choking ass during crunch time.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I can understand where Stern is coming from and it was unfortunate timing being a marquee matchup on national TV, but it's an overreaction to a legitimate decision. As long as Stern's in the mood to make apologies though, "sorry for the lockout" wouldn't go astray.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 am

Spurs without Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Green, Leonard and Jackson and it takes a 20-8 run to win that game at home? I guess 3 games in 14 days isn't that good.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby mrmoves20 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 am

Martti. wrote:Spurs without Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Green, Leonard and Jackson and it takes a 20-8 run to win that game at home? I guess 3 games in 14 days isn't that good.

They had too much rest, I guess. That's why.
The Best Young Team Since OKC - The BROW and the Stingy HORNETS!!!
mrmoves20

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:47 am

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:09 am

U beat me to it Andrew. Just finished reading it and was going to share it.

Woj has it right on most accounts I believe.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby RedPhazon8 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:20 am

Spurs got fined $250,000 for what they did yesterday...

:turrible:
RedPhazon8

Postby volsey on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:41 am

Way out of line. I can understand being upset if you're a fan, and you paid good money to watch 2 of the best teams go at it at their fullest, but still, it's the Pops call, and it's only one game, they have the entire season to think about. If it was Spurs vs. Charlotte, this wouldn't be an issue, and that's kind of what I have a problem with. I understand it's as close to a 'main event' as there is at this point in the season, but it just doesn't seem like a fair or just at all.

Edit: To add to this, where do you draw the line. Say a team thinks an all-star caliber player is better coming off the bench, so for strategic reasons they make him a sixth man rather than a starter and slash his minutes a bit. Should Stern be apologizing to the fans as now this player is getting less airtime (obviously a slight extreme)? As stated similar to cutting minutes as playoff spots are locked up. It's thinking about the season and not one single game for the fans. It's not like SA threw the game and lost on purpose, it was a close match regardless, so why does Stern have to stick his big nose in it?
volsey

Postby NovU on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:43 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... 000_By_NBA

"The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case," said David Stern. "The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team's only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way. Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans."

Upsetting when it's clearly the vice versa. Stern did a disservice to the league and its fans.

The NBA contends that the Spurs' actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.

Best interests of the NBA or TV rating?

One could argue well taken cared superstars will perform better and return more profit in a long run. Especially the Spurs with aged stars know too well that their goal is to contend for the title not for the regular season. For both the league and Spurs' best interest, the decision should have been respected. Stern is a grumpy old man that's gone too far with his so called business mindset. Can't stand him no more.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Phil89 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Westbrook flirting with a quadruple-double. 21pts, 9reb, 8ast, 6stl with 6:00 left against the Jazz.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Jamison and Meeks for the Lakers are putting up some nasty numbers off the bench. 33 and 21, respectively.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:03 pm

This situation with the Spurs has reminded me of the discussion that took place when Kobe was suspended for a couple of games a few years ago for that side swipe he was doing to try and draw shooting fouls. It was suggested by some here, and others elsewhere, that his suspension should be delayed because the Lakers were about to embark on a road trip that included their lone visit to New York to face the Knicks, and the people attending the game deserved to see Kobe in action.

The argument of course was that the league was doing a disservice to the fans by suspending him immediately and thus shouldn't do so, which is what the league is now saying about this situation. And to be fair, it seems to me if the league should cater to fans by showing lenience when handing out disciplinary action, teams should also have to field their best squad, barring injuries or other excused absences. However, I'd actually disagree in both situations. I understand the arguments in favour of those positions and there's merit there, but if a player is suspended for their actions then those are the consequences; likewise, if a coach elects to rest some of his players to weather the grind of the lengthy season and risk losing a big game, that's his choice to make and risk to take.

This is where it gets interesting though:

The NBA contends that the Spurs' actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, since that rule is in place, the Spurs do have a responsibility to handle the situation accordingly. Perhaps they needed to inform the league sooner, citing the rough schedule and age of their core. It's certainly possible that they could have handled it better and to that extent, brought the situation on themselves. It's actually good to know that there are rules like that in place. After all, we wring our hands and bemoan the idea of teams tanking, so it would be hypocritical to deride the league for trying to prevent it and ensure everyone is being sporting.

However, the Spurs obviously aren't tanking. They simply rested some key players to try and keep them fresh during a part of their schedule that's a little rough for an older team. Again, it's possible that they could have communicated their objections and intentions a little better and/or sooner so it's probably fair that they accept some responsibility for that, but they are being maligned here. On top of that, Woj noted some disturbing double standards and cases of injustice in his column, which doesn't leave the league or Stern looking very good.

Depending on the exact rules that the league has referred to, some kind of fine may not be completely out of order, but nevertheless it was handled poorly and Stern doesn't come off well at all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Especially after how close the game was in the final minutes.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rise on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:10 am

DId Sheed really get ejected for yelling "Ball don't lie!"?
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby NovU on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 am

One tech for the foul and complaining, and one extra tech later for still bitching and screaming "i love balls!". It's only his first ejection though.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball