Does anyone here play Cricket?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Play cricket?

I play all the time
19%
I play occasionally
24%
Never Played it.
57%

Total votes : 21

Re: Does anyone here play Cricket?

Postby Kenny on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I noticed that too (Starc's swing). I thought the comparison to Johnson was sloppy on my behalf, but I think it's not too far off. If he isn't getting to ball to swing, he looks like crap warmed up. Otherwise he can potentially be a good bowler. Doesn't have the pace of Johnson though, which I think will hurt him.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:18 am

I could get the ball moving half a metre on that green wicket. Great to see Hilfenhaus get all the credit he is getting. I was a big fan of his from a few years back when he was ripping up state cricket with his out swing bowling and was disappointed he was axed. On any wicket with any life he's going to win you matches.

badreligionau wrote:Australia still has a problem with it's top 3. The commentators were talking about axing Cowan when Watson comes back, but I think Warner should go. He got a century, yes, but he's probably going to live off that century for the calendar year, like Jamaal Magloire lived off his 1 all-star appearance.

Then again, Dave Warner could prove me wrong :lol:

:lol: after today's performance

Although admittedly I don't like him as a test batsmen over the long term, but hey, I've been wrong before.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Yeah I know... I also said that Clarke doesn't get runs when Australia needs them :lol:

I seem to be proven wrong a lot lately. So let's see:

-Shaun Marsh should be dropped.
-Brad Haddin is useless.
-Mitchell Starc doesn't get enough wickets.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Marsh will be dropped when Watson returns from injury. I agree Haddin is useless. Starc seems like the type of bowler you only use when conditions are right (i.e. horses for courses).
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:56 am

I think Starc improved a lot, but not to the level that James Brayshaw was hyping up to be (loved to mention that he was 2 metres tall). It actually really annoyed me that Brad Haddin wasn't put as the classic catches clanger for the Perth test, since he dropped two and Mitchell Starc's drop was the clanger in the second New Zealand test. I think Haddin should be on the way out. All he does is chew gum and give away byes :lol:

Marsh for Watson would be fair I think. Although, if Watson wasn't fit, I'd like to see Khawaja get another go. Unlike Marsh, he wasn't playing too badly. It's actually been interesting to see how flawed some techniques have been. It seems that Gambir and Dravid are getting out to the same ball every innings, as well as Shaun Marsh.

As well as Dave Warner played, I still think he gets too much hype. They're saying how he's revolutionising the game, but he's not the only player to adapt from being a slogger to a legit batsmen... Andrew Symonds was the best example of that. At his best, he was absolutely murdering other teams. I also can't stand the way Warner "switch hits". To me it just seems a bit disrespectful towards the traditions of the game... but I guess I'm somewhat of a purist.

EDIT

phpBB [video]
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Thought I'd give my two cents on the South African series so far:

It's been an interesting summer of cricket so far. Clarke and Hussey have been absolutely on fire; Clarke in particular with his Bradman-esque style form (NEVER thought I'd be praising him so much). Ponting will probably be gone after this series if he doesn't make a century at some point. Cowan has impressed me, and while I'm not a big fan (mainly due to inconsistency), Dave Warner has been playing well too. The Quiney selection was a bit of a head-scratcher for me. I know Australia were essentially looking for a place-filler while Watson recovered, but I thought Khawaja was the better selection at number 3. His first 6 tests weren't brilliant, but I think he deserves another chance; he's not playing any worse than Ponting at the moment.

For the bowling - it's been pretty disappointing. The South Africans have an incredible batting lineup, but I still think Australia could have won in Adelaide. I think their bowling is definitely a reason to why they're not the best in the world anymore. It doesn't help that Cummins and Pattinson are constantly getting injured either. I'd like to see them play Johnson at the WACA, since he has such a good record there. He also bolsters their batting lineup a little bit. I guess I'm still not completely sold on Starc.

My lineup for the next test

Cowan
Warner
Watson/Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Johnson
Siddle/Starc
Hilfenhaus
Lyon

12th: Starc/Hastings

I think Siddle will be right for the WACA test, but they've brought in extra guys just in case. It'd be interesting to see a bowling attack with two lefties.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Best thing Clarke did for his career was get rid of Bingle & all the metrosexual stuff & just concentrate on cricket. He always had the talent, just the other stuff was a distraction.

Yep, Aussies should've won the test in Adelaide. Was surprised they didn't. Definitely on the bowlers, although seems like there have been some batting wickets so far this summer.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02 am

Adelaide was a perfect example of why test cricket is the stupidest sport ever invented. If two teams playing for five days, after which you declare a draw despite only one of them being any chance at all to win, is a 'great advertisement for the sport', the sport sucks. Period.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am

Yeah, that's what bugs me about test cricket as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I can see how people have a negative view of it for that reason, but to me, if winning was always clear cut, it wouldn't be as satisfying. It's one of the few sports where you can't really win if you have any deficiencies. Both teams had strong batting lineups for the game, but since neither team could get 20 wickets in the game, neither deserved to win. Australia had one and a half days to do it (or 150 overs give or take).

While a draw isn't the desired result, I'd argue that someone who stays in for a day and a half to save the game for their country is a great advertisement for the game.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I get that, but I still find it off-putting because it basically turns the match into one long shaggy dog story. I suppose being a fan of basketball has conditioned me to the approach of "no draws, a winner must be decided", but I just don't like the idea of having two conditions for victory where the score can be rendered completely meaningless, no matter how decisive it may be.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:11 am

I respect that. I guess I felt my response was necessary because of the "stupidest sport ever invented" and "the sport sucks. Period" comments.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 am

It's a sport where you can play for five days without deciding a winner.

I rest my case.
koberulz

Postby Kenny on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:57 am

A point you've already stated koberulz. Should I repeat my argument? Or are we good to move on?
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:32 pm

koberulz wrote:It's a sport where you can play for five days without deciding a winner.

Is a winner really necessary?
If anything else it's a sport that's closer to real life. You do things for a long time and in the end it just means nothing like irl.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Kenny on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Warner gone on the second ball of the day - doesn't really surprise me. His game isn't really suited to a match like this, which is why I'm often skeptical when it comes to him. Philander is looking good and Steyn is going to be a pain in the ass as always. I'd like to see this one go to a fifth day, but I think it's highly unlikely.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm

So the result is beyond doubt Sunday night, and yet everyone gets up Monday morning and goes to play.

C'mon, people.
koberulz

Postby Kenny on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:43 pm

The game was competitive for the first two days. South Africa took it to Australia in the third. While 600 runs in 180 overs is unlikely, it's not impossible, especially since Australia started today with all their wickets in hand. The very possibility of this happening is/was an exciting aspect for the fans.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 am

Phil Hughes is in for Ricky Ponting. While I'd pick Khawaja instead, I think it's a fairly low risk move. If he doesn't score runs, he's essentially doing what Ponting did for the last three tests. If he does, then it's a bonus, since Clarke and Hussey are firing, while Cowan, Warner and Wade are all in reasonable form too. John Hastings is injured, so Siddle will come in for him. I didn't think Hastings should have been there in the first place. His bowling is pretty innocuous in that form of the game. I was definitely surprised when they chose him over Hilfenhaus, who's arguably Australia's best right arm swing bowler.

I think a quick attack of Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus should play at Hobart, with Starc going in at 12th. Hilfy is far more economical than Starc and I think Australia need at least one guy who can tie down an end.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dan's Brain on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:04 am

Was a pretty decent knock by Hughes, a few rookie mistakes, and some of his early timing was a little bit off, but he did well to stick through to the 80s. Warner was looking terrific and really should have gone to the century if he hadnt had his run-out brain-fart. Most of the dismissals were due to batsman error rather than anything terrific by the bowlers, although Jayawardene's catch to dismiss Watson was pretty amazing. Glad to see the rain wasn't too impactful this morning, either.
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

Postby Kenny on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:00 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by Hughes; I was pretty skeptical about him in the team, but he played really well. Those cover drives were pretty spectacular. The Sri Lankan bowlers are definitely lacking in the pace department. Unless you bowl like Glenn McGrath, anything under 130km/h is pretty gentle at that level of cricket.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am

koberulz wrote:Adelaide was a perfect example of why test cricket is the stupidest sport ever invented. If two teams playing for five days, after which you declare a draw despite only one of them being any chance at all to win, is a 'great advertisement for the sport', the sport sucks. Period.

It is called Test cricket for a reason. It is a true test of how good you really are at cricket. You have to be the superior team for 5 days straight in order to beat a team. Superior batting AND bowling usually determines if you win. You cant just have one really good day and expect to come out on top as the winner.

Plus, Test matches are usually played in a series of 3, 5, or 7 games anyways. Teams usually go in with the mentality to win the series rather than just win matches. If you win 1 game and all of the other 6 games were a draw, then you are still the winner of that matchup.
bowdown

Postby Phil89 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Matthew Wade bowling :? I don't think I've ever seen a wicketkeeper bowl before.

Bit embarrassing for the other bowlers I'd imagine.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Kenny on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:56 pm

The surprising thing about Wade is that he looks to be a pretty decent bowler as well. He looked more menacing in that one over than Starc has all day.

The bowling has been average all summer. Granted a bunch of bowlers have gone down through injury, but I think not choosing Johnson for this test was a mistake. Starc's the younger out of the two, but Johnson is a more mean and has the knack of bowling some really intimidating spells. I dare say we'll see him in the Boxing Day test though. I reckon the selectors should give Cutting a go. Make it Siddle, Johnson, Cutting and Starc as the 12th man.

EDIT: Wow, was I proven wrong. Great spell by Starc to finish them off.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dan's Brain on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I'd imagine it'd be Johnson in for Hilfenhaus now. Remains to be seen if Clarke misses out, though. Be interesting to see who comes in for him.

Great finish to the day. Didn't have high hopes for a result going into the day, but terrific work by the bowlers, particularly Starc.
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic