Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby dare on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:22 pm

:applaud:
dare
True kings have rings

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm

× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990), Arsène Wenger: Invincible (2021) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Jackal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 am

That was an awesome listen, I really like Chris Webber after his playing days. Even on Open Court.

I don't get why the Lakers wouldn't give Brian Shaw a chance. Honestly.
Jackal

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 am

It's all about Jeanie Buss. You think Jim is going to hire a guy who is not only banging his daughter but wants a stake in the ownership and basketball decisions? Yeah, hire this coach and undermine Kupchak and Buss's duties at the front office.

Phil Jackson is a good coach, but his name only shows up when it seems like there is a team with capable players that he can tweak to get himself another ring.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby _Steve_ on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:56 am

Pdub wrote:It's all about Jeanie Buss. You think Jim is going to hire a guy who is not only banging his daughter but wants a stake in the ownership and basketball decisions? Yeah, hire this coach and undermine Kupchak and Buss's duties at the front office.

Phil Jackson is a good coach, but his name only shows up when it seems like there is a team with capable players that he can tweak to get himself another ring.

Looking at Phil's success in the finals (3 three-peats) and in general (5 seasons with 65+ wins, .704 win-l%, NBA record 72-10), you can't underestimate his value. I agree that he never took over a team like the Cats or 2012 Pistons, but even with squads as star studded as the '90s Bulls or the 2000' Lakers success (titles) still need to be earned. I'm not sure if a guy like Mike Brown (don't get me wrong, I really like his defensive mindest) would have brought 6 titles to Chicago or 5 to the Lakers.

But I agree that he might have wanted/ gotten too much influence on the Lakers. Too much for a guy who has problems stepping into his father's footsteps (Jim Buss).
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Spree#8 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 am

benji wrote:When did he ever play that many minutes?

36, my bad. Still, 31 was all he could do last season and right now he's looking a lot worse physically. That is, he did before he broke down which was predictable since his sign'n'trade most likely didn't include the Suns' medical staff.
benji wrote:Nope.

8 and 35-38 respectively, then. Is that better?
Spree#8

Postby Jackal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 am

I think Dr. Buss is fine with it, I think Jim Buss is the one who has a bit of a power trip. I just hope he doesn't go all James Dolan on the franchise. :?
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Pdub wrote:It's all about Jeanie Buss. You think Jim is going to hire a guy who is not only banging his daughter but wants a stake in the ownership and basketball decisions? Yeah, hire this coach and undermine Kupchak and Buss's duties at the front office.

Jim's sister, Jerry's daughter. ;)

I don't know if the former comes into play at all but a stake in ownership and basketball decisions definitely wouldn't sit well with the younger Buss.

Jackal wrote:I don't get why the Lakers wouldn't give Brian Shaw a chance. Honestly.

His current employment with the Pacers not withstanding, it seems to come down to his connections to Jackson, whom Jim Buss dislikes. Kinda petty and shortsighted, seeing as how Shaw is only likely to run the triangle and emulate Jax from a basketball standpoint, not act just like him on a personal/professional level.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 pm

When Anthony grumbled to Bryant about D'Antoni's defensive acumen on a trip to Los Angeles before the coach's resignation in New York, one witness says Bryant shot back to Anthony – only half-kidding – that, seriously, when the hell have you ever played defense?

The G.O.A.T. telling it like it is.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Magic tweeted it best, utmost respect for Dr. Buss, Jim Buss however...eh. :|
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 am

Watching the Suns game, I am intrigued at how D'Antoni will use Gasol, I loved him in the triangle and kind of sucks watching that much talent being wasted on the perimeter, even if he did make his first five shots.
Jackal

Postby JBoom_LALALAND on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Gasol has been fantastic. The bench sucks but way to go Lakers. World Peace revealing his revitalized self. I love the way the shots has been distributed. Kobe 15 FGA, Gasol FGA, MWP 13 FGA, DH12 11 FGA (7/19 FT), I need to see more of Jamison and Meeks though. They're a waste of money.

Lakers vs. Grizzlies, a must-watch game soon.
KOBE: CHASING PERFECTION
JBoom_LALALAND
TheJBoom

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:46 pm

What's changed in Kobe's game?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby dare on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:32 pm

NovU wrote:What's changed in Kobe's game?

Dwight Howard
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Jackal on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 am

Gasol is wasted on the perimeter. The guy is too skilled in the low post to be positioned out 16-17 feet away from the basket for screens and jumpshots. :?
Jackal

Postby dare on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 am

Pau wants to have more basket inside the paint but the system won't allow him.

Why not try a line-up of G, G, Jamison, Hill and Pau. Where Pau can be a roll man or can be the center. Hill and Jamison can both stretch the floor so I don't think it is going to be a problem on the current system. Also Pau needs to be the man when he is there with the bench unit.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby JBoom_LALALAND on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 am

I mean, definitely. I hate Pau taking jump shots. I want the 2010 Pau that dazzles and spins on the post against elite players like KG and other big men. I know they can be THE TEAM. I hope D'antoni sorts this out. Meanwhile, we don't really have the point guard to play for us right now. :|
KOBE: CHASING PERFECTION
JBoom_LALALAND
TheJBoom

Postby NovU on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I suppose it's fair to wonder and if he's going to get called on it by a teammate, Kobe should be the one telling it like it is. That said, I still wonder if Kobe is focusing on the right things and shouldn't shoulder a bit more of the blame for the so-so start. In wins so far this season, he's averaging 22.9 ppg and 6.9 apg; in losses, 31 ppg and 3.3 apg. When he's being more of a facilitator, they've won games. When he's been scoring more - perhaps mindful of his ability to keep moving up the all-time scoring list - they've been losing.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:11 am

How is Kobe's off-the ball movement these days? He's no Ray Allen or Wade but that's one area I thought he really needed to work on if the Lakers want to fully utilize Nash and Dwight.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 am

Bryant understands how it looks. When he sets up teammates for buckets, the Lakers have been winning. When he doesn't, they haven't.

Bryant's pick-and-roll plays are "by far" the best attack the team has, D'Antoni said, while Steve Nash remains out because of a leg fracture. No. 2 point guard Steve Blake might be back from his abdominal strain Tuesday against Indiana, but Bryant had four assists and no turnovers in the Lakers' hot first quarter against the Mavericks.

To Bryant, though, when he sets up teammates and they don't make shots, then he has no choice but to shoot more to try to rally.

"I've been doing this my whole career, and some nights my teammates hit more shots and that adds up to more assists for me," Bryant said. "The games we win are when the whole team is making shots. Now, if our shots aren't going in, then I have to take more of the offensive load."

Bryant is looking forward to Nash's return, for sure. Nash will be re-evaluated next week.

"I'll be scoring a lot more when Nash gets back," Bryant said. "I won't have to facilitate as much, and it will allow me to do what I do best — and that's put the ball in the hole."

Source.

The article also mentions Gasol suffering from tendinitis in both knees, which perhaps answers Kobe's previous criticism.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Kobe's criticism often were heralded as wills and desires to win but it was too often that they grew tiresome and unamusing in recent years. If he was as good as people(or himself) claimed, I don't think he'd have whined as much as he did in his career. I don't think Michael cried that much nor LeBrick. I mean if Pau was anything like Demarcus Cousins, Kobe would have been punched and possibly raped.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 am

:lol: Mentioning Lebron in the same breath as Jordan in regards to not crying. You're a funny guy.
Jackal

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 am

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 am

Duly Noted. Jordumb fans are sensitive.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball