::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: 2013-14 Season Preview

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES ::: Draft '13 & Other Updates

Postby mrmoves20 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 am

Nice game from Oden playing like that. Knight is actually playing like a star. A monster 17 Assists for him. Dude, he is a MONSTER. haha
The Best Young Team Since OKC - The BROW and the Stingy HORNETS!!!
mrmoves20

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 am

Thierry • wrote:Looks like Oden is back? Hopefully he goes through the season without any injuries.

Back for one game at least. He is tough to use. He keeps losing the ball in the post. Only good if you get it to him in the right spots.

mrmoves20 wrote:Nice game from Oden playing like that. Knight is actually playing like a star. A monster 17 Assists for him. Dude, he is a MONSTER. haha

Knight is playing huge right now with some big assist games. Showing us that he may have what it takes to be a true NBA PG.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 am

CHAPTER 4

Sweat trickled down Oden’s forehead as the media huddled around his locker. Oden was the toast of the town since returning to the court ahead of schedule. Although his return was forced, Oden was playing exceptionally well. Tonight’s game was the next big step as he filled in for the other Greg – Greg Monroe – who was sidelined with back spasms.
“Our centre got 20 years older overnight,” Rodney Stuckey joked to reporters, “But we still got the win.”
Oden shouted across the locker room at Stuckey, “Not bad for a 45 year old right?!”
Oden then turned his attention to the handful of reporters around his locker, “Look, I’ve got to cut this short now because I want to get out of here before the Knicks come in and take out the loss on us.”
The reporters laughed and dispersed so that Oden could get to the showers. Meanwhile, Coach Frank was outside in the corridor answering some questions from media.
“What is Greg Monroe’s status Coach?”
“As I said before the game, it’s day to day.”
“What did you think of Greg Oden’s performance in his first start for Detroit?”
“It is what it is. A solid effort and I’m glad he is playing strong considering that he has been forced back like he has been.”
“The team has been struggling recently. How do you think you guys can improve on your performance?”
Coach Frank’s phone started to ring, saving him from answering the question, and he excused himself from the media contingent to answer it.
“Hello?” Coach Frank walked towards quieter space.
It was Bobby on the phone, “Hey Coach, good win!”
“Thanks. What’s up?”
“We need you to come up for a meeting when you are back in Detroit,” Bobby briefed him.
“Sure, that’s fine,” Coach Frank stated and waited for Bobby to give him the details.

Coach Frank joined Dumars and Bobby in the conference room for their meeting. He still had no idea what it was to be about.
“Good morning gentlemen,” Coach Frank nodded at the two of them.
Dumars acknowledged him with a nod and Bobby said hi.
“So what’ going on?” Coach Frank broke the ice.
“We’re trying to decide on the direction that we need this franchise to take,” Dumars said, “Given our recent slew of results, I really think we have to make a decision on whether we are going to dedicate ourselves to continue building around what we have or blowing it all up and rebuilding.”
Coach Frank’s first thoughts came right out of his mouth, “Had it not been for injuries to Tayshaun and Monroe, I think we would be doing pretty well.”
Dumars didn’t disagree but was frank, “I see your point but we probably still would find it hard to contend for a playoff berth.”
Coach Frank nodded, “To be honest, we are one or two players off of being a real playoff team.”
“How do you think we could fix that?” asked Dumars.
“We need an All-Star calibre player,” Coach replied, “I don’t have anyone on my roster that I would call a true shoe-in All-Star.”
“Right…” Bobby mumbled as he continued scribbling notes.
“And that’s my main concern,” Dumars stated.
“Yes…” Coach Frank was listening.
Dumars continued, “To me, we don’t have a strong enough team to be a guaranteed playoff seed. We are also not bad enough to get a high pick in the lottery. We’re sort of in no-man’s land.”
“That’s right,” Coach Frank said in agreement.
“And that’s not good,” Dumars stated the obvious, “Bobby and I have come up with two things we could do and we want your opinion on it.”
“Sure,” Coach Frank sat up straight, “Give me what you got.”
Dumars didn’t say anything more and looked to Bobby.
Bobby cleared his throat and proceeded, “We can’t stay put because we are going nowhere. We either retool or rebuild…”

Bobby firstly ran over the team’s situation before explaining in-depth the two options of retooling or rebuilding to Coach Frank. He noted that the team had two big contracts coming off of the books: Charlie Villanueva and Corey Maggette. They were not intending to resign either of them and this would give them a lot of financial flexibility. However, it was not enough for the team to reach their goal that is to contend in the near future. Bobby and Dumars were of the view that it could be wise to trade their expiring assets and turn it into talent.
“By trading Villanueva and or Maggette, we are going to forgo any shot of signing a big free agent,” Bobby explained, “But quite frankly, Detroit has never really made a splash before in free agency so we’re hedging our bets a little bit. Forget about free agency and trade to get talent in.”
Dumars added, “Coach, we just need your input into who you think would be a good fit for the team. We know that you have done a good job with these guys here so we trust your input.”
Coach Frank did have a few names in mind, “I can think of a few guys. My idea of the identity of this team is a young, defensive team that can get on the break and put up buckets quickly. We need athleticism and defence to contend against Miami and Chicago.”
Bobby had his pen ready, “Give us some names Coach.”
Coach rattled off a few names and Bobby scribbled all of the names down. Bobby then ran over how he and Dumars envisioned rebuilding would be. He noted that the team could rebuild through the Draft and free agency. That would also require the team to offload some of their talent and to turn it into more draft picks and expiring contracts to create cap space.
“It’s not ideal,” Bobby said, “I think that it’s in our best interests to stay competitive rather than throw a few seasons away. It’s risky but that’s the nature of the business.”
Dumars added, “Coach, I think you can see why I think that trying to improve our team with what we’ve got by trading for better players is the better option. It’s time that we decide whether to give up our financial flexibility in the summer and go all out for a playoff berth or if we’re going to blow it all up and rebuild.”
Coach Frank was confused, “We can just keep the team as it is. I don’t think we need to do anything drastic. We have good pieces.”
Dumars reiterated, “As I said before, I just don’t think this roster has the talent to be a playoff team year in and year out. It’s my responsibility to fix that and that’s why I want to ask you which direction you would support.”
Coach Frank laughed, “Look, I am in your hands. I reckon you guys should give this team a bit more time to prove itself. What about we reassess it depending on how well we are travelling later on. Rebuild if we are looking unlikely to make the playoffs and retool if we are up there with the fringe playoff teams?”
Dumars thought it was a good idea, “Sure. Let’s do that. Just so you know though, I am getting a lot of pressure from the higher powers.”
Bobby closed the meeting, “Thanks for your input coach.”
Coach Frank got up and shook both of their hands, “Not a problem. Always a pleasure.”

The Pistons’ fortunes improved after the return of Greg Monroe. The Pistons finished 2012 with four straight victories. One of them was a buzzer beating win against the defending NBA champion Miami Heat.
“No one is expecting Tayshaun to get the ball. I want you to take the last shot!” Coach Frank yelled over the top of the Pistons home crowd.
The veteran Piston smiled as Coach was giving him the chance to win the game, “I will give it my best shot Coach.”
Coach Frank drew up a play by using Brandon Knight and Stuckey as decoys. He sent Prince on as a power forward with Corey Maggette as a small forward. Greg Monroe would join the rest on the floor as the fifth player. Maggette was inbounding.
“Don’t let Stuckey get free!” Dwyane Wade was telling Shane Battier coming out of the timeout.
Wade would take Knight on defence. He lined up next to him as the refs whistled indicating that play would soon resume. The Pistons were behind 95-94 on their home floor. Wade was certain that the ball would go to one of their combo guards.
“LeBron!” Wade was pointing towards Stuckey, “Watch him!”
Lebron James was hovering close to Prince and kept his eye on Stuckey. As the ref gave the ball to Maggette, Prince bolted and set a screen on Battier for Stuckey to come off. Stuckey got free and cut away from Battier and moved away from the ball. James recognised it and followed Stuckey. Prince spun around and went the other way towards the ball and to open space. Maggette hit him with the pass and Prince launched a high arching jumper. The Pistons bench rushed onto the floor as soon as the buzzer sounded and the ball splashed through the net. The players mobbed Prince as they took the game 96-95 against the Heat.
“Thanks for drawing that for me Coach,” Prince later thanked Coach Frank.
The high spirit of the Pistons team wasn’t going to last too much longer though as a few nights later the Pistons welcomed the new year with a loss against the Sacramento Kings. The worst part about the game was that the game was not the only thing the Pistons lost that night.
Fresh8

Postby Valor on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Sit wrote:
Valor wrote:
Sit wrote:
Valor wrote:Boooooooooooooooooooooo :scold: :lol:

About what?

Beating my Bulls, Brandon Knight actually looking legit, and the Pistons in general :lol:

I know you hate the Pistons. :) It's funny. How will you continue following this story? hahaha

I'll enjoy every loss :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice chapter, prob the only time I'll like you guys winning and Stuckey being good I guess - when they beat Lebron :P
Who got injured again? (p.s. I don't think you can get anyone good via trade tbh, there's nobody on your squad that can get a star player in return)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: Chapter 4

Postby dare on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53 pm

I think Prince got traded, nice read as always
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 am

Valor wrote:
Sit wrote:
Valor wrote:
Sit wrote:
Valor wrote:Boooooooooooooooooooooo :scold: :lol:

About what?

Beating my Bulls, Brandon Knight actually looking legit, and the Pistons in general :lol:

I know you hate the Pistons. :) It's funny. How will you continue following this story? hahaha

I'll enjoy every loss :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice chapter, prob the only time I'll like you guys winning and Stuckey being good I guess - when they beat Lebron :P
Who got injured again? (p.s. I don't think you can get anyone good via trade tbh, there's nobody on your squad that can get a star player in return)

Who said anyone got injured...

As for trade - I don't have anyone good on my squad to get a star in return but I do have assets (i.e. huge expiring contracts x 2). ;)

dare wrote:nice read as always

Thanks man :)
Fresh8

Postby mpac on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 am

Nice story as always. Very intrigue what has lost with the pistons :) my guess is brandon knight but i hope not :)
mpac

Postby Martti. on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 am

I always keep my expirings or trade them for another expiring. I reckon you traded Charlie V.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:20 am

Hope you're able to flip your expirings along with some middling prospects for a washed-up overpaid guy that can still kick ass in 2K.
Lamrock

Postby Valor on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Sit wrote:Who said anyone got injured...

As for trade - I don't have anyone good on my squad to get a star in return but I do have assets (i.e. huge expiring contracts x 2). ;)

Well you did use the word "lost" so not a trade where you get something in return I presume?
n please, there isn't a team with a star out there that'll break up and rebuild in the NBA now so....I dunno what you can get with those assets :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:13 pm

COMPETITION TIME

Guess what has happened at the end of Chapter 4.

2 points for the correct guess
Fresh8

Postby Justine. on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Crazy guess, Stuckey got traded? :lol:
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby dare on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Like I said Prince got traded
dare
True kings have rings

Postby mrmoves20 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 am

I'm going with what dare said, Prince got traded.
The Best Young Team Since OKC - The BROW and the Stingy HORNETS!!!
mrmoves20

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:47 am

Prince either got traded. Or a team overhaul for young talent (all old guys).
Last edited by Solaris Phase Two on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Lamrock on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:30 am

My outside guess is that Oden got hurt again.
Lamrock

Postby newc on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am

I also think someone got injured. And I'd guess it's Oden also.
newc

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Injury for Stuckey. :|
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Valor on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Injury to Tayshaun Prince :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:37 pm

One more day until last guesses can be submitted!
Fresh8

Postby mpac on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:22 pm

injury of knight :)
mpac

Postby hova- on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Well tough to guess what happened. I'd say that one of your frontcourt players got injured. Maybe Monroe. Good chapter, good read. Nice win over the Heat.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Houndy on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:03 am

I say Stuckey got hurt
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Woogie98 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Bro sweet story as usual..I have been slacking on my NLSC coverage as of late because of school, but can't wait to be the number 1 pick! :wink:

My prediction: Prince traded, Stuckey injured
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 am

Woogie98 wrote:Bro sweet story as usual..I have been slacking on my NLSC coverage as of late because of school, but can't wait to be the number 1 pick! :wink:

Thanks Bro! Another reader from out of the woodworks. I love it!

BTW, you bring a really good point. The best way to be a really high draft pick is to decide when to declare. The more points you accumulate, the better of a prospect you will have. For example, guys may declare for this draft but they won't have points to improve in the areas they want their character to improve BEFORE the NBA Draft. By improving BEFORE the draft then you will increase your prospect's stock as well.

That's the one thing I hope my story can provide to everyone and that's to make it a little be it more interesting with this kind of interaction/system.

Sorry for the delay in announcing the news. I have been sidetracked with 3 x Thanksgiving events this weekend - yeah I know.... in Australia :lol:
Fresh8

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood