NBA Random Discussion 2012-13 Season

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: NBA Random Discussion 2012-13 Season

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I would rather see Durant improve that pussy defense of his.

Spree#8 wrote:By the way, can you imagine the market value Brand would have had this February?

Not that much, he's horrible this season judging by his performance with the Mavs even while being given the chance to show what he's really capable of with an injured Dirk Nowitzki and big man that doesn't rebound in Brandan Wright.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby _Steve_ on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 am

Seems like Roy's comback attempt came to an abrupt end as he will recieve his 7th arthroscopy of his career.
Too bad. I hoped he could at least play around 20 mins per game...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:21 am

He's playing bone against bone in both of his non-existent knees. I don't even know what the bonehead doctor who cleared him to play was thinking.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am

It seemed an ambitious comeback, given the previous diagnosis. Presumably there's a good chance that that's it for him.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby rise on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:09 am

Let's face it, it wasn't going to happen. He's going to want to keep making comebacks, and I admire his passion to keep playing, but he really is done. He couldn't make it ten games.

:(
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby kevin02 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:44 am

Kyrie Irving out for at least a month. Shabazz Muhammad, here we come...
kevin02

Postby rise on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Bobcats with a frantic comeback win over the Bucks! 5-4 bitches! Better record than Boston, Indiana, LA, and Denver! :D
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby graybakflip on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Cats now proving that their not that "push-over" team anymore, and I think having a legit true C did helped them. Kemba Walker and MKG might be that new core for them.
You laugh at me 'cos I'm different. I laugh at you 'cos youre all the same
graybakflip

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm

It's the coach.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Phil89 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm

SteveHTOWN wrote:It just turned out that Bynum hurt his knee while bowling. I'm speechless...

My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Spree#8 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:00 am

shadowgrin wrote:
Spree#8 wrote:By the way, can you imagine the market value Brand would have had this February?

Not that much, he's horrible this season judging by his performance with the Mavs even while being given the chance to show what he's really capable of with an injured Dirk Nowitzki and big man that doesn't rebound in Brandan Wright.

So? Anyone with an expiring $18M contract is very valuable, because every year you have a few teams that want to clear some cap space - it doesn't matter if he sucks. Of course, his contract is no longer in the books, I meant that his trade value would have been huge if the Sixers hadn't amnestied him.
Spree#8

Postby graybakflip on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:09 am

Phil89 wrote:
SteveHTOWN wrote:It just turned out that Bynum hurt his knee while bowling. I'm speechless...

You laugh at me 'cos I'm different. I laugh at you 'cos youre all the same
graybakflip

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Spree#8 wrote:So? Anyone with an expiring $18M contract is very valuable, because every year you have a few teams that want to clear some cap space - it doesn't matter if he sucks. Of course, his contract is no longer in the books, I meant that his trade value would have been huge if the Sixers hadn't amnestied him.

Its value for the team giving up the expiring contract are the players it would get in return.
It's not like the Sixers can get quality players out of it from one team (if they do name names) and with such a huge amount the team that would be dealing with the Sixers would have to give a lot of players to match salaries and most of the teams that can give a lot of players would be rebuilding teams, which have crappy players to begin with that's why they're rebuilding.
A multi-team trade would have been possible but then again give me possible scenarios of that if the Sixers did indeed keep Brand.

God I remembered again that Bynum is the same idiot who had a Playboy Playmate on his shoulder during a visit to the Playboy Mansion when he was supposed to be recovering his knee.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Spree#8 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 am

That kinda depends on what you'd expect back for him. I didn't mean we would get a franchise player or a package of all-stars for Brand's expiring contract, but we could get a good player and a couple of role players, something along those lines. No idea about possible scenarios and I don't really want to spend time thinking up something that's not happening anyway - the only thing that immediately comes to my mind is the Bynum deal. Like I already said, Orlando didn't want Iggy, so the three teams had to find someone who did and that happened to be Denver. Since the Magic are rebuilding, Brand would have been a great option for them, but he'd already been amnestied at the time. His contract was slightly bigger than Iguodala's, but we did take on J-Rich, so the deal might have worked without changing anything else. If we could have pulled that off, get Mr. Glass Knees without getting rid of Iggy, that would have truly made us a better team (in theory, of course - as it turns out).

Now we're pretty screwed, news is getting out that Bynum is possibly missing the entire season, so in the offseason we're facing a lose-lose situation. We can either give him that max and pay him $20M annually for sitting on the sidelines in a suit for most of the next 5 years or let him walk and gain nothing after investing so much in him.

By the way, we're somehow 7-4 after the first 11 games. That's pretty impressive actually, even though we haven't had the toughest of schedules so far. For a team that's built to utilize a bigman demanding double teams inside, but having a rotation of Kwame Brown, Spencer Hawes and Lavoy Allen at the center position, we're doing quite well. It's fascinating that all of the guys playing the center position for the 76ers are absolutely terrible and every one of them in his own, original way. Hawes is making me completely sick even more than usual, Lavoy has been a huge disappointment this year and looking more like that 50th pick than the great role player he was in this year's playoffs. And Kwame Brown is... well, Kwame Brown. Jrue is carrying this team and exceeding any reasonable expectations (he's even toned down his turnovers, 2.5 over the last 4 games) with some help from Thad and Richardson who's surprisingly solid. Oh, and it's nice to see Nick Young not playing like a total retard for a change.
Spree#8

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Clippers/Thunder was a good one. The Thunder had some big leads but it was still a pretty competitive game throughout, culminating in the overtime. Fun buzzer beater by Ibaka to end the first half, too.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:13 am

Eastern Conference
3. Charlotte GB 2.0

still it's very early but WTF
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:23 am

Sometimes that's the way it goes early on. Perhaps they are going to be better than most of us expected but they could well come back to Earth and drop down the standings as the season progresses, once other teams start playing a little better and they hit some rough patches (or simply stop overachieving).

The 2004/2005 Utah Jazz are probably a good example of that. They started out the season winning six of their first seven and were 7-3 through their first ten games, comparable to the Bobcats' current record of 6-4, but ultimately finished the season 26-56.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Nick on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Bobcats have almost got as many wins already as they had all last season.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby _Steve_ on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Andrew wrote:Sometimes that's the way it goes early on. Perhaps they are going to be better than most of us expected but they could well come back to Earth and drop down the standings as the season progresses, once other teams start playing a little better and they hit some rough patches (or simply stop overachieving).

The 2004/2005 Utah Jazz are probably a good example of that. They started out the season winning six of their first seven and were 7-3 through their first ten games, comparable to the Bobcats' current record of 6-4, but ultimately finished the season 26-56.

Still it's a hell of an improvement compared to last year when the Cats weren't able to compete with any team in the league. I actually think they are now ways ahead of the Wizards and Pistons in the East, which comes a bit unexpected to me.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby rise on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Nick wrote:Bobcats have almost got as many wins already as they had all last season.
In 1/6 as many games. :lol:
rise
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:26 am

SteveHTOWN wrote:Still it's a hell of an improvement compared to last year when the Cats weren't able to compete with any team in the league. I actually think they are now ways ahead of the Wizards and Pistons in the East, which comes a bit unexpected to me.

Absolutely, credit has to be given where it's due. They've come out playing a lot better than they did last year, particularly as they stumbled into that huge losing record to end the season. But it remains to be seen where they go from here, as a decent start could still end up leading to a disappointing finish, as we've seen before.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Spree#8 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 am

It is now officially confirmed that Bynum has weakened cartilage in addition to bone bruises in both knees and there is no timetable for his return. We'd better get used to watching Kwame, Hawes and Lavoy completely sucking ass. Just saw Kwame attempt to score from the post with an up and under. He actually faked out the defender, but blew it anyway.

Trade of a lifetime. Just let him walk in the summer. Please.

While we are a bad offensive team no matter what, we're probably historically bad when Jrue is off the court. No matter who's playing the point at the time - Ivey, Wayns or Turner - we just can't score unless Swaggy is hot at the moment. And if you need to rely on Swaggy to carry the load on offense, more power to you.
Spree#8

Postby kevin02 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Byron Scott got scared the Cavs might win so he let Pargo take the last shot...
kevin02

Postby NovU on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Wasn't too impressed. Thought the Heat were gonna get blown out by what seemed to be Cav's superior offense. Clutch-genes of the Heat(vice-versa for Cavs) saved the day though.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby kevin02 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 am

NovU wrote:Wasn't too impressed. Thought the Heat were gonna get blown out by what seemed to be Cav's superior offense. Clutch-genes of the Heat(vice-versa for Cavs) saved the day though.

Their offense looked superior and they were missing their best player. The Heat really shouldn't be happy with that win. If it wasn't for Cleveland leaving the most successful 3 point shooter of all time wide open, and dribbling out the clock when they were down a point they would have won.
kevin02

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball