Kevin Smith: The Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Kevin Smith: The Thread

Postby Oznogrd on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 am

So I have about half an hour to kill while I wait for my buddy before we head out tonight.

Whats the plan?

We're gonna go out. Have some panache. Fuck swag. Swag is for children. Have a few drinks. Grab dinner. Maybe meet some new people. Then we get to go laugh at a fat dude.

Kevin Smith's Q&A tour has officially come close enough where 1) i could afford to go. 2)i have time to go.

That inspired this thread.

Me and Andrew may be the only ones to discuss it but hey, I know theres at least a few fans of the VIew Askewniverse on here.

Ill post about the show, how it went, if i got to meet him, all that shit probably tomorrow. Im unafraid to pull the cripple card if it means i get a pic with silent bob.

So basically, you wanna discuss the Kevin smith movies, Q&A dvds, get to go to a Q&A yourself, SMODcast or anything else that this fat man in a hockey jersey does. Come to this thread. Let us Snootch to that muthafuckin nootch together.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Re: Kevin Smith: The Thread

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm

I've been thinking of creating a thread like this for a while now, I guess it was inevitable either you or I would be the ones to do it. I know badreligionau is a fan too, so perhaps it'll be the three of us talking about his work in here. :lol:

I was thinking of going to one of his shows here in Australia earlier this year but ended up passing on it. Interested to hear how it goes, should be a fun evening. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:23 am

The show was pretty damn good I have to say. I couldnt think of a good questions so I didnt ask any but some people asked stuff i had never heard of before. Like apparently after clerks he went to hollywood on a studios dime and had been doing all these meetings and running around for 5 days. On the last day, he finally meets with the people whose money he had been spending and they're like "So you've been here 5 days...any ideas?" and he didnt have any so he looked around, saw a busboy, and said "bussing" "whats that?" "clerks in a restaurant" and they said "sounds fantastic hows 75 thousand dollars?" The studio never made it because it wasnt great. He went back through it after the studio said we're done you can have it back now and said it was god awful. The one thing he liked from it he put in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when they released the animals from the lab.

Pretty hysterical overall because he delivered things in his usual fashion: candidly and with a lot of dick jokes. What was interesting is at points he got strangely profound. When talking about his father who died and all that he said thats the moment he realized everyone should create. Whether its a podcast, movies, whatever sort of expression you are capable of. Put it out there, let other people who think like you see it. You'll realize we're not really alone in this world.

Only two things that bothered me is the people asking questions we've heard the answers to (how'd you meet mewes? [this guy broke down crying because he got to meet kevin smith and talk to him while he was asking. You're that big a fan and haven't heard that story?], how'd you start smoking weed?) and he kept saying "hey hit me at the stage door for pics and stuff after the show" The crowd was too big (probably half the show was out there) and he never came out which was extremely disappointing. If i had known that i would've come up with some bullshit things to ask. I did manage to tweet at him (Great show, couldnt think of a good question, just want to say your flicks get me through life thanks) after the show and he favorited it so i at least know he saw it.

Oddly enough it was a 2000 seat venue and they only got 700 but i think its because the tickets were so pricey. 35 dollars at the cheapest is alot for one guy. Made for some good humor.

And while he just may be a good actor and say this everywhere...he seemed to really have a good time. He was enthusiastic and says he'll be back next year with Mewes and some of the other guys. And i think i believe him which is why i liked the show. He just seems to love what he does and appreciate being able to stand up there and shoot the shit with people. He realizes how fucking ridiculous that many of us paid 50 dollars plus to see a fat dude from jersey in a hockey jersey talk about his life.

So yeah, highly recommend it and I'll try to go next year most likely if he wasnt lying to try get a picture... And i wont be afraid to ask a question/pull a cripple card to make it happen.

Probably going to start listening to more of the podcasts now too..didnt know he had so many and i need something to listen to on the way to work in the mornings.

In preparation for the show I was rewatching all the movies but only made it till about halfway through dogma. May post "i havent seen these in years" reviews.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm a little behind on the podcasts I have to admit, but I have been listening to them for a few years. The only ones I bother with are SModcast, Jay & Silent Bob Get Old and Tell 'Em, Steve-Dave! though.

Sounds like a fun night. I would've rolled my eyes at the weed question, because to be honest I'm a bit sick of him talking about it. Don't get me wrong, the fact he chooses to partake neither bothers nor upsets me, but it's getting to the point where he's either just constantly wanting to brag about it or his short term memory is well and truly fried and he's not aware just how often he mentions it. It comes up a lot in the podcasts whatever the case may be, and it's getting a bit tiresome. Shame he was forced to cover some familiar ground there but it sounds like you got your money's worth when it's all said and done.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:07 pm

I saw Kevin Smith at the Opera House a few years ago. It ended up being a pretty expensive exercise, because I paid for two tickets (bought one for a friend, but then he couldn't come), got return flights to Sydney and got a few nights accomodation at a shitty backpackers. It was worth it though. Kevin's a really engaging storyteller and I find that a lot of his stories really resonate.

Like a lot of people I know, I loved his movies from Clerks to Clerks II (with the exception of Jersey Girl). My favourite is probably Clerks, but Mallrats and Chasing Amy are tied for a close second. I haven't actually seen Zack and Miri yet, but I found both Copout and Red State (I bought it on Blu Ray before seeing it, ha!) were both pretty abysmal. These days I'm a bigger fan of his comic book writing. I'm currently reading Widening Gyre and I've also read the first issue of the Bionic Man and Quiver. I really want to read Cacophony as well (I know it preceeds Widening Gyre, but I heard about Gyre before it, so I picked it up). He incorporates his humour into those superhero stories nicely I think.

Andrew wrote:Sounds like a fun night. I would've rolled my eyes at the weed question, because to be honest I'm a bit sick of him talking about it. Don't get me wrong, the fact he chooses to partake neither bothers nor upsets me, but it's getting to the point where he's either just constantly wanting to brag about it or his short term memory is well and truly fried and he's not aware just how often he mentions it. It comes up a lot in the podcasts whatever the case may be, and it's getting a bit tiresome.

I find the jokes about him fucking his wife a little more tiresome than his weed jokes, but I see where you're coming from. He manages to get lost in his stories a lot and is often asking people what the question actually was again. It's lucky that people who are there are on his side, otherwise it'd be a pretty terrifying experience.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah, that too. As much as he's a good storyteller, he's done those subjects to death. I guess it's not always his fault, fans who want to hear the stories again or aren't that familiar with them to begin with are bound to ask and he'll obviously oblige, but he brings them up a fair bit on his own.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Oh, I was also going to mention this: I dunno if you read my tweet, but it was announced that Eliza Dushku is going to be at the Gold Coast Supanova (kind of related to Kevin Smith, since she was in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back :D )

If there's ever a good excuse for you to make it up to QLD, it has to be to meet Eliza Dushku :lol:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am

I dont mind the jokes about it, what i do mind is the constant telling of the same story in the same exact wording practically. Ive heard the seth story like 6 times in the past 2 months.

Digging Fatman on Batman...Didn't like "I Sell comics" gonna work on the other stuff.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Tell 'Em, Steve-Dave! is becoming my favourite show on the network, probably because Kevin's not on it and I'm a bit weary of some of his stories; as you said, it's pretty much the exact same wording every single time. Also, since we've kind of broached the subject, I have found my Kevin Smith fanaticism ebbing a little in recent months. I still enjoy the movies and think he did some fine work there, and I'm still interested in the podcasts, but I find myself not being quite as big a fan as I once was.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:36 am

Andrew wrote:I have found my Kevin Smith fanaticism ebbing a little in recent months. I still enjoy the movies and think he did some fine work there, and I'm still interested in the podcasts, but I find myself not being quite as big a fan as I once was.

To me as I was rewatching, Clerks and Chasing Amy are still his strongest showings. They were original, different, told stories that weren't being told at the time. As much as I like the ideas behind Dogma, at my more older age im not sitting here nodding in agreement, smiling, and laughing my ass off for the entirety like i used to. The performances and premise are still great, but its not resonating as much as it used to. Mallrats is still as stupid as I remember but does have it's good lines. Thats just the very basic breakdown.

I think the fanaticism is waning for Kev because the last time he did something different and original was 1995. Plus, having his hand in so many pockets (all that smodco stuff on top of everything else in hollywood he still works/consults on) I think might be spreading him thinner than he thinks. Once again, not to say i dont enjoy his humor or his lines will not always be a part of my psyche (See custom title for one example)..but in this world of "what have you done lately?" its hard to hold him up against some of the other influential people in Hollywood.
Oznogrd

Postby Kenny on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:46 am

I've actually met people who like Kevin Smith movies, but refuse to watch Clerks because it's in black and white. It kind of boggles my mind because out of all his movies, it really is the most timeless one. And while Mallrats is one of my favourites (the escalator scene is still hilarious), it's probably the most dated out of the lot.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 am

The best thing Kevin Smith was ever involved in is Clerks: The Animated Series.
badreligionau wrote:I'm currently reading Widening Gyre and I've also read the first issue of the Bionic Man and Quiver. I really want to read Cacophony as well (I know it preceeds Widening Gyre, but I heard about Gyre before it, so I picked it up).

Well, you can stop since Gyre isn't finished and probably never will be.

Quiver and Sounds of Violence and Cacophany are all good. (Last two plus Gyre have Smith's second best creation.)

Parts of Quiver are kinda stupid though. He's better at writing a tighter three or four issues than anything sprawling into double digits.
benji

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Oznogrd wrote:To me as I was rewatching, Clerks and Chasing Amy are still his strongest showings. They were original, different, told stories that weren't being told at the time. As much as I like the ideas behind Dogma, at my more older age im not sitting here nodding in agreement, smiling, and laughing my ass off for the entirety like i used to. The performances and premise are still great, but its not resonating as much as it used to. Mallrats is still as stupid as I remember but does have it's good lines. Thats just the very basic breakdown.

I think the fanaticism is waning for Kev because the last time he did something different and original was 1995. Plus, having his hand in so many pockets (all that smodco stuff on top of everything else in hollywood he still works/consults on) I think might be spreading him thinner than he thinks. Once again, not to say i dont enjoy his humor or his lines will not always be a part of my psyche (See custom title for one example)..but in this world of "what have you done lately?" its hard to hold him up against some of the other influential people in Hollywood.

For me it's not so much the movies, which I admit I haven't watched in a while, or any of the other work, but I find myself less a fan of him in general. I guess it's a combination of some of the things he's said/discussed on his podcasts in recent months, the increasing number of run-ins he's had with other people in the entertainment industry where he doesn't come out looking much better than the other person, topics he just won't stop talking about...it's made my admiration and enthusiasm for him and his work wane somewhat.

badreligionau wrote:I've actually met people who like Kevin Smith movies, but refuse to watch Clerks because it's in black and white. It kind of boggles my mind because out of all his movies, it really is the most timeless one. And while Mallrats is one of my favourites (the escalator scene is still hilarious), it's probably the most dated out of the lot.

I can kind of understand where they're coming from. I think it's misguided, don't get me wrong, but being black and white and very heavy on dialogue (even by his standards), it's not the most accessible of his movies.

Mallrats is good enough for what it is, I've always liked it. It's not a critical masterpiece and it's not revolutionary by any means, but it's funny and it's entertaining.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic