Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm surprised whispers of Phil Jackson's name haven't begun yet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:12 pm

dare wrote:It's obvious the team doesn't want to play hard with Brown coaching, his going to be fire but we might wait a little longer.

Even Kobe would do as a coach :lol:

Why stop there? The towel boy could probably do better. Mike Brown sucks!
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Bruce on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Andrew wrote:I'm surprised whispers of Phil Jackson's name haven't begun yet.

Me too. But I guess he must have made it abundantly clear to Lakers' management that he doesn't want to. But I guess, if he is even watching the games out there, he'd want to come back just watching the team suffer like this. Given what PJ did in 99'-00' in his first year with the Lakers, it does not seem improbable that PJ has the tools to save the season for the Lakers.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby _Steve_ on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm

According to Jim Buss, he isn't pleased with the current situation. He is still confident with Brown and his work for now.
But it seems that his confidence has an expiry date by the time Lakers would be 1-15.
Still time for Jax to get his hips in shape...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 am

What's the point of signing a guy like Meeks and then opting to play Morris over him?

The offense is atrocious to watch, everyone seems out of sync and 7-9 seconds go off the shotclock just getting people in to place then swinging the ball, no one can hit an outside shot to save their life so the defense usually ends up collapsing in the paint & that's basically the offense. Gasol & Howard hold the ball near the three point line for 3-4 seconds waiting for a guard to come get it and then just rush to go get the offensive rebound.

Getting rid of Mike Brown is scary anyways, who do you get to replace him? Mike D'Antoni? Are you kidding me..they should've stuck with Brian Shaw as their coach after Phil's departure. Go teach Kobe & the rest a new system in his final years as a player, marvelous.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Any comments on D? IMO, defense also for some reason looked quite awful. Too many collapses that left somebody open and help D wasn't doing much when penetrated. I only watched last 1.5 quarters tho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm

They are just too slow, Howard doesn't seem to be his old self yet, he's not that dominant presence on the defensive end as you're used to. Against the Jazz Gasol always looks soft, Millsap always comes hard at the Lakers, always. Kobe didn't even bother playing defense, he gets beat quite often and then has a look of scorn towards his teammates & the PG situation is what's always been the case in LA, they just can't keep up with opposing PG's.

They just didn't seem very in to it against the Jazz, from the first quarter on already looking at the refs and berating them whenever they didn't get a call while the Jazz just played ball and built an early double digit lead.

The offense is what hurts to watch. You've got the two best big men and they are playing "hand off the ball" by the three point line. Wtf..
Jackal

Postby dare on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:35 pm

phpBB [video]

Breakdown of what supposed to be our offense.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Looks pretty good when they run it correctly. I still think it's going to wear them down.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dare on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:15 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224403/Lakers_Fire_Mike_Brown

I never thought that he will be out so quickly, Kobe's stare might be the deciding factor.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:23 am

Wow! I even got a message on my phone from the NBA game time app saying that he was fired. He didn't get much of a chance at all. With this squad.

I wonder if they have already talked to a new coach.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dare on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:52 am

D'Antoni is a candidate for the job. I don't like him though, preferred Sloan and hopefully he wins a COY.

Coincidentally Phil cancelled his show or meeting of some sort, soon after this news broke out. I don't think he will coach ever again due to health issues but it would be fun seeing him again in the bench.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby _Steve_ on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:53 am

Saw it on my phone too.
I'd expected them to stick with Brown for at least 5 more games.
What do you guys think who will replace him? Jax, D'Antoni or Sloan?
_Steve_

Postby Dc311 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:13 am

Larry Brown should be bought out of his college contract and be sent there.
Dc311
"F@*K YOU WHALE!!!F@*K YOU DOLPHIN!!!"
Contributor

Postby NovU on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:55 am

Seems like the management did what most Lakers fans wanted them to do promptly. Props to that.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby buzzy on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:57 am

buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Shaq's analysis:

Did mike brown really get fired. Geeeeez. Dammmmmmmmm Wow Bring on Brian shaw

It's going to be interesting to see if Phil Jackson does return. His health and the way he was rushed out the door by Jim Buss would seem to suggest it's unlikely, yet I don't think it can be ruled out altogether. I don't see Mike D'Antoni as being a much better replacement. On offense, the Lakers will probably have more freedom to do their thing but his system has yielded just as many championships as Mike Brown (and one fewer NBA Finals appearance). Brian Shaw seems a longshot, the Pacers probably aren't too keen to see him leave. How about Jerry Sloan?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby _Steve_ on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Sloan was one oth the three coaches that came into my mind when I first heard of Brown's firing. In an interview Chuck also brought up Chuck Person as a possible head coach for the Lakers. I think his inexperience as a head coach is the biggest argument against him. Lakers will go as less risky as possible in that situation.
What about Stan Van Gundy? He's experienced and he and Howard came along so well... :lol:
_Steve_

Postby benji on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:34 am

Adrian Wojnarowski: As Lakers meet w/ Phil Jackson today, they've declined meetings w/ any other candidates, source says. "They're all in on Phil," source says.

Mike Bresnahan: The Lakers have not contacted Mike D'Antoni, The Times has learned, increasing the already strong chances of the return of Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson has emerged as the clear leading candidate to be the Lakers' next coach, and two people connected to the 11-time champion coach told CBSSports.com Saturday that all indications point to Jackson wanting the job. "Phil wants it," one of the people with ties to Jackson said.
benji

Postby Jackal on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 am

Sloan wouldnt be a good fit, imo. He's much too demanding as a coach, way too strict.

Bring on Jackson. Giggle. NOT Mike D'Antoni..
Jackal

Postby dare on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 am

Do you guys think this was planned much earlier even before Brown's firing? I mean they won't fire a coach if they don't have someone much greater to replace.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby air gordon on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:24 am

Too demanding? lol. Can Doug moe be reanimated?

Yeah since Bryant was making death stares, management started making calls

Van gundy would be great for this team
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby _Steve_ on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

dare wrote:Do you guys think this was planned much earlier even before Brown's firing? I mean they won't fire a coach if they don't have someone much greater to replace.

From reading this article I'd say they were in contact with Phil all the time.
_Steve_

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:08 am

SteveHTOWN wrote:
dare wrote:Do you guys think this was planned much earlier even before Brown's firing? I mean they won't fire a coach if they don't have someone much greater to replace.

From reading this article I'd say they were in contact with Phil all the time.

It seems likely. Otherwise, it's a bold move to make so early in the season, without anyone else lined up to take the job.

Sounds like it's Jax's job to take or turn down. Woj suggests it might not turn out so great, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 pm

I wonder how long before Eddie Jordan walks as well. Reports indicate that the triangle might be back and PJ might pull in Pippen as an assistant as indicatedhere. If this happens, we'll just have too see if it end up with Pippen and Kobe at it at each other's throats or will they get along.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball