::: MOTOWN TALE: HUSTLE & HEART ::: 2013-14 Season Preview

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: Player Point Tall

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Pistons Add Depth To Wing
20 August 2012
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Detroit Pistons signed swingmen Josh Childress and Rudy Fernandez to three year contracts with both deals a result of the influence of new front office member Robert ‘Bobby’ Jones. Jones has come from Europe and used those ties to get in contact with Fernandez. His own contacts also convinced him that Childress was a player worthy of an NBA contract.

Fernandez had originally committed to returning to play in Europe for Real Madrid. Jones, a former player Barcelona and in the same league as Real Madrid, reached out to some friends of his and convinced all parties to side on a deal to release Fernandez from his contract so that he may return to the NBA.

It was not all steady sailing as Fernandez demanded to know that he had a set role with the team. The 27 year old shooting guard is expected to be an important bench player but with the prospect of starting in the near future. The Spanish guard averaged 8.6 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.4 apg in 31 games played for Denver last season. He had played for the Portland Trailblazers for the three preceding seasons and will be reunited with teammate Greg Oden.

Childress was an easier catch but the Pistons only pursued the 29 year old after he was recommended to Jones. Childress spent time in Europe and impressed one of Jones’ closest friends in the Greek league.

Childress struggled last season as he finished with 2.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg in 34 games played with the Phoenix Suns. He is hoping to return to form in the NBA and Pistons fans will be hoping he gets closer to the 13 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.1 spg that he averaged back in 2008-09 with the Atlanta Hawks. That was the season before he went to play in Europe.

“We are happy with our moves,” Pistons GM Joe Dumars addressed reporters, “We were a fringe playoff side last season and I think that we are a possible seven or eight seed with these moves.”
Last edited by Fresh8 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: Player Point Tall

Postby mrmoves20 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 pm

Sit wrote:
Pistons Add Depth To Wing
20 August 2012

The Detroit Pistons signed swingmen Josh Childress and Rudy Fernandez to three year contracts with both deals a result of the influence of new front office member Robert ‘Bobby’ Jones. Jones has come from Europe and used those ties to get in contact with Fernandez. His own contacts also convinced him that Childress was a player worthy of an NBA contract.

Fernandez had originally committed to returning to play in Europe for Real Madrid. Jones, a former player Barcelona and in the same league as Real Madrid, reached out to some friends of his and convinced all parties to side on a deal to release Fernandez from his contract so that he may return to the NBA.

It was not all steady sailing as Fernandez demanded to know that he had a set role with the team. The 27 year old shooting guard is expected to be an important bench player but with the prospect of starting in the near future. The Spanish guard averaged 8.6 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.4 apg in 31 games played for Denver last season. He had played for the Portland Trailblazers for the three preceding seasons and will be reunited with teammate Greg Oden.

Childress was an easier catch but the Pistons only pursued the 29 year old after he was recommended to Jones. Childress spent time in Europe and impressed one of Jones’ closest friends in the Greek league.

Childress struggled last season as he finished with 2.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg in 34 games played with the Phoenix Suns. He is hoping to return to form in the NBA and Pistons fans will be hoping he gets closer to the 13 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.1 spg that he averaged back in 2008-09 with the Atlanta Hawks. That was the season before he went to play in Europe.

“We are happy with our moves,” Pistons GM Joe Dumars addressed reporters, “We were a fringe playoff side last season and I think that we are a possible seven or eight seed with these moves.”
Nice pickup with Rudy.
The Best Young Team Since OKC - The BROW and the Stingy HORNETS!!!
mrmoves20

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: NLSCer (p3) News

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:10 am

CHAPTER 2

“I am very excited to be signing with the Detroit Pistons. I hope that my comeback will work out because if it doesn’t, I am most likely going to retire from the NBA,” Greg Oden addressed the media in an introductory press conference.
Oden was a little surprised at the modest turnout of reporters. He had only agreed to the deal a few hours earlier. He remembered when he was an up and coming NBA prospect and the rooms were always packed with reporters. Five years on and things just had not gone his way – all of the attention went with it. He was a battler now and an underdog out to make something out of his once ‘promising’ NBA career. That’s why he chose to sign with the Pistons. Joe Dumars and Bobby Jones had made an exciting pitch to him about how he fit in with the defensive culture of the franchise.
“You will fit in fine with our front court,” Dumars had told him, “We want you to help solidify the paint. We’ve had a few great teams here in Detroit and you could be part of the next one.”
It all sounded great to Oden who had promised them that he would work hard to get back to full health.
“We understand your health issues and we understand that you have not been playing a lot of basketball for a while. We want you to come back into all of this slowly because we don’t want you to hurt yourself,” Jones the Englishman said, “Our training staff here will be always on standby for you Greg.”
It was pretty soon after that when Oden extended his hand to both gentlemen and agreed to sign a one year deal with the Pistons. The lure of a NBA Franchise willing to roll the dice on him and a basketball culture that he would fit into was more than enough to entice him not to sit out the season as he had originally planned.
“Greg, please tell us about your initial plans before signing to play for Detroit?” a reporter asked him.
Oden smiled and replied, “I was going to be a gym teacher and take a year off.”
The inevitable question came, “How do you think your body will cope? Are you going to be healthy next season?”
Oden had answered this question many times over the years, “I am confident that I will be playing basketball by the New Year. I am feeling good about it. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have signed a contract here today.”
“How are you so confident?”
Oden laughed at this one, “I got the same as Kobe did in Germany. It’s funny how Kobe gets surgery and it’s breaking news. I get surgery and no one cares until months later.”

Rudy Fernandez and Josh Childress were the next two players to be signed by the Pistons. Bobby had coached against both of these players before whilst in Europe. He remembered Fernandez as the young star that was destined to be one of the great Spanish players. A young Fernandez was already so good in the ACB. Jones felt bad that he did not pan out in the NBA. Bobby came across Childress during an exhibition game and did not come away impressed with him. However, he had a friend who told him to reconsider. He was told that Childress was hard working, dependable, and a jack of all trades.
“It’s all about getting onto a team and being a good fit for each other,” Bobby explained to Dumars, “I know that you understand this but I need to make it clear. Rudy Fernandez should be a star in the NBA. He has the talent but just has not been on the right team.”
“And you think that we are the right team?” Dumars asked.
“Yes,” Bobby said, “I think that he would be a valuable piece either as a sixth man or maybe even a starter. It will just take time – maybe a season.”
After days of consulting, Bobby finally convinced Dumars to take a gamble with Fernandez. He had convinced him that even if Fernandez did not turn out to be a star, he was at least going to be a dependable scoring option from off the bench. He had convinced him that it was all about giving him an opportunity and then infusing him with confidence. Bobby saw this all the time with his imports back when he was a coach. He had Americans who couldn’t make it in the NBA and who came over with low confidence and had to adjust to culture shock too. Bobby could have been a part time counsellor with the way he handled these guys. He gave them a chance to play and made them feel like they could achieve greatness. That’s why Bobby was a Euroleague champion as a Head Coach on two occasions.

Bobby walked from the restaurant back to his hotel. He still didn’t have a place in Detroit. He was hoping he would soon. He had heard a lot of stories of the local economy and its struggles. He felt for the people because he could relate. Being from Europe, he knew how many people felt about having no hope for the future. He knew of many young people taking their own lives in different parts of Europe because there was just no financial security anymore.
“You are lucky to be making a living from playing basketball,” Bobby had said to second year guard Brandon Knight when he met the team for the first time, “I have seen people your age commit suicide because they can’t get a job.”
Bobby wanted to bring this message to the States and saw his new job with the Pistons as a way for him to do so. It seemed ironic that he had signed with Detroit considering its history as an NBA team as well as for the city’s current state. Perhaps it was ironic but not a coincidence. Bobby knew what it was like to be an underdog. He knew what it was like to struggle. This led him to believe that he could inspire a whole city through sport and to make everyone believe in something again.
“We need to cut ticket prices,” he tried to convince Dumars the other day.
“We need the revenue,” Dumars retorted.
“The city needs us,” Bobby said.

“Jones!”
Bobby looked up the bench at his coach in the dying moments of the Euroleague quarter-final. Barcelona was down by double digits and there were four minutes left in the game. There was no way coming back. There was not going to be a fourth title in a row for Bobby and his team. The Barca fans were silent as the other team scored another bucket.
“I want you back out there!”
Bobby didn’t want to go back out there. He had received a call before the game about signing a 10-day contract for the San Antonio Spurs. He would be flying out the following week thanks to a clause in his playing contract.
“We’re not in this anymore,” he defiantly told his coach.
“I know we’re finished but I want you in so these people get what they paid for.”
Bobby knew there was no point arguing and he entered the game. The next possession had him collect the ball from halfway. He called for a screen. He timed the pick to perfection and came off of it dribbling towards the hoop. Bobby didn’t know what happened next but before he knew it, he collided with a defender. Bobby went sideways as his leg knocked into someone else’s. He landed awkwardly before the same defender fell on top of him.
“Argh!” Bobby was in agony.
The defender had landed on Bobby’s left leg. Bobby was lying uncomfortably on his side and felt the pain in his left knee. He heard the referees blow their whistles to stop play. The other player had gotten up and was kneeling down to see if Bobby was ok. Bobby didn’t want to move an inch because it was killing him. He clenched his right fist and hit the ground a couple of times. He was yelling out in pain. The tears were welling up in his eyes because it was so unbearable. Bobby could see his career flash before his eyes.
Last edited by Fresh8 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: Chapter 2

Postby dare on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:29 am

Blame that coach for Jones supposed to be NBA career. Nice write man.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby hova- on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Good chapter, Bobby should have a lot of motivation and anger in him after this injury ending his career. He should use this anger to build a new era with the Bad boys.

Sit wrote:
CHAPTER 2

Bobby walked from the restaurant back to his hotel. He still didn’t have a place in Detroit. He was hoping he would soon. He had heard a lot of stories of the local economy and its struggles. He felt for the people because he could relate. Being from Europe, he knew how many people felt about having no hope for the future. He knew of many young people taking their own lives in different parts of Europe because there was just no financial security anymore.

Dunno about that though. People in Europe killing themselves because of the financial crisis? I don't know, at least not in Western Europe.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Hova... only from what I heard from my friends mom who is from Malta and she said its really bad in Greece.
Fresh8

Postby Valor on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:32 am

Sit wrote:Hova... only from what I heard from my friends mom who is from Malta and she said its really bad in Greece.

I think it's only that bad in Greece though, cause it's where the financial crisis is worst, by far
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Lamrock on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:14 am

There have definitely been a couple reports of suicides due to the sorry state of the economy in the EU, though I'd imagine the same for Detroit, which was almost post-apocalyptic four years ago. It's an interesting angle.

Like the moves you've made. Rudy and Oden will be great.
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:09 pm

L-Train, I thought you would like the moves. Two former Blazers right there.
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Do YOU WANT MORE POINTS? Well - check out the newest challenge!

DUE TO LOW RESPONSE - THE REWARDS ARE HIGHER. YOU WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC FIRST ROUNDER IN THE UPCOMING DRAFT

Please make me a signature and banners to use for this story. Themes that could help inspire your designs for the sig may include underdogs, economic downturn, detroit pistons basketball, bad boys.

For the banners, I need the following:

- Trimester Recap
- The Story So Far
- Detroit Pistons Basketball (for my recaps and articles)
- Rookie Blog

I will let the readers vote for the winner so please PM me your entries!

Points will be distributed as follows:

Participation: +1
2nd place: + 5
1st place: + 7

Deadline is extended to 12 November!
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: NLSCers

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Pistons Open Season Against Rockets
Houston Rockets at Detroit Pistons: 82-86
Preview | Boxscore | Recap | Highlights

October 31, DETROIT (AP) – The Pistons opened the season with a strong defensive performance against the visiting Rockets in Jeremy Lin’s debut for Houston. The Rockets’ prize signing found it difficult to get a groove on offence but was able to get his teammates involved as the game wore on. The Pistons may have led from start to finish but just could not keep the pesky Rockets away.

Rodney Stuckey led the Pistons with an efficient 23 points. He kept the Pistons in the lead for much of the game. Detroit opened the season with an early burst, which saw them leading by 10 points midway through the first quarter. The Rockets cut that lead by halftime and kept it close for the third period.

The Pistons tried to shake off the Rockets with a scoring run that pushed their lead to 12 points in the final quarter. Lin and Kevin Martin led a furious 15-5 run that closed the gap to 82-80 and the Rockets trailing with 53 seconds left in the game. The run was capped by a Lin layup.

Second year guard Brandon Knight then stepped in and delivered a pass to Greg Monroe for an easy bucket with 37.3 seconds left. New Rockets big man Omer Asik scored a put back on the other end but it was Knight who iced the game with two free throws with 8 seconds left in the game.

“It was good to get this game out of the way,” Lin spoke of his debut, “I had a tough time out there against a great defensive team.”

Knight was praised by Coach Lawrence Frank after the game for his poise down the stretch, “He has really improved a lot over the offseason. We told him at the end of last season that he had to work on his playmaking ability and to be confident in himself on both ends of the floor. I am very happy with his progress.”

Key Performers wrote:
Houston Rockets (19 – 23 – 19 – 21 – 82)
Detroit Pistons (26 – 20 – 22 –18 – 86)

SG Kevin Martin: 25 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 3 stl, 11-28 FG, 3-9 3PT
PG Jeremy Lin: 10 pts, 8 reb, 9 ast, 2 stl, 5-14 FG
PF Patrick Patterson: 12 pts, 6 reb
C Omer Asik: 5 pts, 8 reb

SG Rodney Stuckey: 23 pts, 3 reb, 6 ast, 11-15 FG, 1-2 3PT
SF Tayshaun Prince: 18 pts, 2 reb, 3 ast, 8-13 FG
PG Brandon Knight: 15 pts, 8 reb, 14 ast, 2 stl, 6 to, 6-13 FG
C Greg Monroe: 12 pts, 9 reb, 6-11 FG
PF Jason Maxiell: 10 pts, 9 reb, 3 ast
Last edited by Fresh8 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: NLSCer + Season O

Postby Martti. on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am

I can make some simple banners like last time.

Good win to open things up! (Y) I see you don't have the Harden trade, you should do that anyway with trade override.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 am

^ Second the James Harden deal. I'm in January in mine, but I plan on making it happen.

Nice win to take the opener. Is there a template or is it too early/late to send in an NLSC profile?
Lamrock

Postby Valor on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Was hoping you'll go 0-82 but oh well, +1 for the Kevin Martin trade too, makes it more realistic since you just started the season anyways :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby dare on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Do that Harden trade
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm

All of you guys are jerks. Do you really think I would miss the Harden trade? :)

It has already been done!

EDIT:

L-Train - you need to buy in to be in the draft so once you have earned enough points, you can enter the draft!
Last edited by Fresh8 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Pistons Surprise Star-Studded Lakers
Detroit Pistons (3-0) at LA Lakers (2-2): 101-82

November 4, LOS ANGELES (AP) – “Wow” was all Kobe Bryant could say after the Western Conference favourites dropped to 2-2 following a three point shooting clinic from the streaking Detroit Pistons. The Pistons are now 3-0 and playing fluid team basketball.

Rudy Fernandez dropped a career high 29 points, previously 27, from off the bench as the Pistons were red hot from behind the arc (17-29 3PT). Corey Maggette also came off the bench to score 19 points while Rodney Stuckey finished with 17 and Brandon Knight had 13 points and 9 assists.

Knight was in early foul trouble with the Pistons trailing by double digits. His exit coincided with a 15-4 run to end the quarter. Fernandez was shooting well from the start and finished the quarter with back to back threes, the second of which came at the buzzer. Coach Lawrence Frank kept Fernandez on in the second quarter and allowed Stuckey to take over point guard duties. Fernandez finished the half with a game high 17 points.

Tayshaun Prince began the second half with a corner three and the Pistons built their biggest lead of the game during the third period. The away side cruised to the win in the final period with Maggette scoring 15 of his 19 points. “Everyone was shooting well,” Fernandez said after the game, “I am lucky that my coach had faith to put me in the game.”

Coach Frank praised Fernandez who was signed over the summer, “We know that he works hard every day and he is capable of this kind of production on a nightly basis.” The same could not be said for fellow Pistons newcomer Josh Childress who continues to struggle and shot 0-10 from the field for this game.

Key Performers wrote:
Detroit Pistons (23 – 24 – 24 – 30 – 101)
Los Angeles Lakers (20 – 21 – 14 –27 – 82)

SG Rudy Fernandez: 29 pts, 11-17 FG, 5-7 3PT
SF Corey Maggette: 19 pts, 5 reb, 6-10 FG, 6-9 3PT
SG Rodney Stuckey: 17 pts, 8-17 FG
PG Brandon Knight: 13 pts, 9 ast, 5-7 FG
PF Jason Maxiell: 11 reb, 6 ast

SG Kobe Bryant: 26 pts, 4 ast, 3 stl, 12-26 FG
C Dwight Howard: 13 pts, 11 reb
PG Steve Nash: 10 pts, 8 ast
PF Pau Gasol: 7 pts
Last edited by Fresh8 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: Pistons v Lakers

Postby newc on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Wow indeed. Rudy Fernandez ballin'!
newc

Postby Valor on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 pm

3-0 Pistons and a 20 point win over the Lakers!? You need to turn up the difficulty lmao :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby hova- on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 am

Valor wrote:3-0 Pistons and a 20 point win over the Lakers!? You need to turn up the difficulty lmao :lol:

That.

Still very good to see your acquisitions work out properly. I like how you finally have a story with really good pics (just because 2k13 looks better than 2k9 ;) )
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 am

While I agree with the calls to raise the difficulty, Rudy Fernandez's rise to prominence is fun to watch.
Lamrock

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Following, even though not commenting. The recaps are great. (Y)
[Hyperize]

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Jeremy Lin Injured
3 November 2012

The Houston Rockets’ prized signing, Jeremy Lin, has been sidelined for up to 2 months with a broken ankle. Lin broke his ankle in just his third game for Houston as a result of a cringe worthy fall. The Rockets’ starting point guard is averaging 17.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 5.3 apg and 1.3 spg this season.

Andre Drummond Called Back
7 November 2012

Pistons rookie forward Andre Drummond will make his NBA debut soon thanks to an injury sidelining veteran small forward Tayshaun Prince.

The Pistons (4-1) dropped their first game of the season and also lost Prince during their 104-95 loss to the Sacramento Kings. Prince was diagnosed with a bruised hip. He is expected to miss up to 2 weeks. Prince is averaging 12.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.8 apg and shooting at .375 from the three point line.

Pistons Head Coach Lawrence Frank confirmed that Drummond would be on the Pistons’ bench instead of staying with their D-League affiliate side.
Last edited by Fresh8 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Pistons Can't Stop Defending Western Conference Champs
Oklahoma City Thunder (6-2) at Detroit Pistons (5-3): 106-81

November 13, DETROIT (AP) – The Pistons’ crowd was silent as their side seemingly handed the Oklahoma City Thunder the game on a silver platter. Russell Westbrook shot the lights out and the Pistons failed to make any adjustments. Detroit sure paid the price for it.

By the end of one half, this early season game was already out of sight. Westbrook scored 37 points while Kevin Durant had an easy 18 point outing. James Harden came off the bench to contribute out a double double (13 points and 13 assists) for his side.

“This team is scary,” Pistons coach Lawrence Frank praised the Thunder, “I think they can win it all provided that they keep the team in-tact.”

Rodney Stuckey led the Pistons with an efficient 25 points but saw little of the basketball in the first half. Brandon Knight played terribly when matched up against Westbrook. The second year guard made some questionable decisions with the basketball and bore the brunt of most of the ‘boos’ aimed at his team.

Key Performers wrote:
Oklahoma City Thunder (23 – 31 – 29 – 23 – 106)
Detroit Pistons (9 – 21 – 31 –20 – 81)

PG Russell Westbrook: 37 pts, 4 ast, 17-24 FG
SF Kevin Durant: 18 pts, 6 reb, 8-14 FG
SG James Harden: 13 pts, 13 ast

SG Rodney Stuckey: 25 pts, 4 reb, 6 ast, 10-15 FG, 3-3 3PT, 2-2 FT
C Greg Monroe: 16 pts, 5 reb, 8-13 FG
PF Andre Drummond: 7 pts, 5 reb, 3-6 FG
PG Brandon Knight: 6 pts, 12 ast, 3-9 FG
Last edited by Fresh8 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Re: ::: MOTOWN TALES: NO MONEY MO BALL ::: Thunder v Pistons

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:30 am

Oh and sit I'll create those banners when I get my stuff later on today
Solaris Phase Two

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood