The Brooklyn Nets Thread (RESPECT)..

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

The Brooklyn Nets Thread (RESPECT)..

Postby graybakflip on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am

From the timeless years of kidd, the consecutive finals appearances, to the 12-70 season, and the most injured team(yes as in season ending injuries) in the history of the league last season. Finally I can say we have a team, I mean a COMPLETE TEAM. Yep, we've been the laughing stock of the league for the previous 3-5 seasons, and really now having these exposure, the love from everywhere, really it's been a while. We may don't have that superstar caliber player but we have a starting five that had excelled in their respective positions. A top 5 PG/SG/C and top 10-15 PF/SF not to mention a deep bench led by brooks who had a great rookie season last year, good back-up G in c.j. watson, a star from europe teletovic, and might be a steal in andray blatche(who is in best shape) this season. You can argue that we have one of the most expensive team in the league, but heck even the owner doesn't mind about that. A brand new team, new uni's, 1 Billion Dollar court, new venue, new fans, yep almost everything is brand new for this team and it started w/ the owners vision since he bought the team, that w/in 3-5 years this would be a championship caliber franchise.

I don't want to project or predict anything for this upcoming season but in my own humble opinion, a second round exit on the playoffs is the least they can do, IF they could stay healthy. I mean this team has the potential to be the a great offensive team, leading from the best back-court in the league(yeah,nash and kobe might have that, but IMO I don't think they can gel that well to have that status), the best offensive C in the game(ask shaq) and is only 24!, a utility player in crash(he doesn't need the ball to ave. 10-15 pts, along w/ his plenty of rebs/asst/stls/blks/hustle plays), and a consistent double-double man in hump(he might strugle now since the team has so many weapons this season). What I mean about a complete team is that the starting five itself knows what are their specific roles for the team, and is very capable of competing in each and everynight, you can add the versatility and a deep bench. Perimeter defense is good but the only suspect about this team is the inside defense. If only brook could have an ave. defensive C discovered inside him, no doubt this is a championship contending team.

P.S. May I request about something, I know this is my first thread on this board and I have no powers or anything. But please stop talking trash/sh** against fellow community member, that way it might lessen the changing of topics/subject of the thread and only focusing on sharing of the ideas and opinions. That's all, I may visit this thread from time-time, but since I am busy reviewing for the upcoming NLE this december, anyway I'll try my best, cheers! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You laugh at me 'cos I'm different. I laugh at you 'cos youre all the same
graybakflip

Re: The Brooklyn Nets Thread (RESPECT)..

Postby Radioman on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:17 am

I guess the East is an open race until the Conference Finals so good luck to the Nets. :wink:
Radioman

Postby NovU on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:54 pm

As I said before the Nets surely are an interesting team. But then really the difference from last season is blown up salary and addition of Joe Johnson. And rest of starters are same(ofc Brook healthy might make a difference but how much). No offense to the Nets fans but the ceiling realistically sounds like a second round to me than 'at least'.

Yes East is open for grab tho. We will see.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby graybakflip on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 pm

Radioman wrote:I guess the East is an open race until the Conference Finals so good luck to the Nets. :wink:

Thanks!, but there's no doubt the heat still owns the east, so yeah its pretty much open for the 2-8 seedings IMO. Still I like our chances against a 7 game series against them, we have depth and better players on their weak positions(PG/C) w/c I think is important.

NovU wrote:As I said before the Nets surely are an interesting team. But then really the difference from last season is blown up salary and addition of Joe Johnson. And rest of starters are same(ofc Brook healthy might make a difference but how much). No offense to the Nets fans but the ceiling realistically sounds like a second round to me than 'at least'.

Yes East is open for grab tho. We will see.

I understand your point about the salary cap situation, that we may not able to add some key pieces going forward. but we also have assets to make a few deals, humps contract, brooks, some picks, and those euro stashes we have in europe(2 players). Just want to add some points, last years rooster from the NJ NETS were almost all of them have 1 year deals only, the most injury plagued team in the nba history for a season(season ending injuries). Brook i guess will be an all star this year, now that DH goes west. He will dominate this season since he will be the option for offense, and statistically on head to head matchups against bynum, chandler, hibbert were no contest against him. Not to mention that almost of the starting 5 has their fresh contracts on multiple years, so there's no question now unlike last season, they were all afloat.

I know it's preseason, but if you want to see more on what I am trying to say, try to view the highlights of the nets previous games. And yep, we'll see. :)
graybakflip

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm

graybakflip wrote:best back-court in the league(yeah,nash and kobe might have that, but IMO I don't think they can gel that well to have that status)

Kobe and Nash don't need to gel well same way Kobe and Dwight don't have to.
Just ask Shaq and Kobe and their three rings.

graybakflip wrote:If only brook could have an ave. defensive C discovered inside him

He could also learn how to rebound again.

Radioman wrote:I guess the East is an open race until the Conference Finals

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby stereoxide on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 am

LOL at the pics. But who knows what can happen right. There are lot of unexpected thing happening in the NBA each year.
stereoxide

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 am

I could see them winning the Atlantic and maybe get swept in the conference finals should they get the 3 seed and draw Indiana in round 2. However, this is basically just last year's lottery Nets with Joe Johnson and a healthy Brook Lopez added. Sure, they'll improve, but at this stage in everyone's career, Deron's the only real star on the roster.

The Nets are built for a run like the Hawks have had the last few years. I'm skeptical of their strategy of long-term commitments to aging players, so the only way I see them contending is Brook Lopez blowing up or them finding a late-round gem in the draft.

But this is the respect thread, and I commend the Nets for putting together a solid team for their first year in Brooklyn. Easily the most exciting season for them in years.
Lamrock

Postby rise on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 am

Lamrock basically summed up my thoughts, but I'm interested to see how Gerald Wallace plays now that he's settled down in Brooklyn. I think part of the reason for his down seasons the last two years was 1) old age, which can't be stopped- he's an OLD 30-year-old. and 2) he wasn't settled down in one place and was constantly in trade rumors for his last year in Charlotte, his whole time with Blazers because of Batum, and nobody knowing what Brooklyn was going to do until now.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby volsey on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 am

Lamrock wrote:I could see them winning the Atlantic and maybe get swept in the conference finals should they get the 3 seed and draw Indiana in round 2. However, this is basically just last year's lottery Nets with Joe Johnson and a healthy Brook Lopez added. Sure, they'll improve, but at this stage in everyone's career, Deron's the only real star on the roster.

The Nets are built for a run like the Hawks have had the last few years. I'm skeptical of their strategy of long-term commitments to aging players, so the only way I see them contending is Brook Lopez blowing up or them finding a late-round gem in the draft.

But this is the respect thread, and I commend the Nets for putting together a solid team for their first year in Brooklyn. Easily the most exciting season for them in years.

This.

Their roster isn't exactly as strong as they had hoped, they couldn't grab Dwight or Carmelo, but it does seem like just yesterday all they had was Devin Harris, Brooke Lopez and Derrick Favors. To go from that to Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace and keep Brooke Lopez who possibly still has tremendous potential (anyone watch his 38pt game last season? It came effortlessly) is quite impressive.

But alas long term this team doesn't look like anything special. But they got the best that they could, and due to the uncertainty of Deron Williams resigning they had to decide between possibly having no Stars at all (Deron leaving but keeping other valuable assets and cap), or grabbing what was immediately available at the time in order to entice Deron to stay long term.
volsey

Postby NovU on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:21 pm

What in the blue fuck is a respect thread?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:29 pm

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jackal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 pm

It's where you psyche yourself in to believing your team is better than it is.

Omg DH12..oh wait..
Jackal

Postby graybakflip on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am

Great having that W against a full strength celtics team, w/ 0 mins from the starters of Brooklyn. Tho this is just preseason, still it's a good test from our bench playing against KG, PP, Rondo etc ave. almost 30 min and the EC Finalist. From what I saw, Blatche is a steal this preseason for a minimum contract offer, he definitely can play. Teletovic had a better game, but taking too many shots is not good, but we all know he's got that range, he's still learning the NBA pace. And I am so happy we got Reggie Evans, :lol: he may be a liability on offense, but that man is a monster on boards. Can't wait 'til MarShon Brooks returns, and this bench is at full strength.

Brooke Lopez who possibly still has tremendous potential (anyone watch his 38pt game last season? It came effortlessly) is quite impressive.

No offense but just want to correct that it's Brook Lopez, It's ok were all learning here. Yep, he wasn't still fully recovered that time, and the double/triple teams he had(you can't double team him now, better players around him this season) 38 pt's for a C is quite rare this times actually.

I know we had offered almost everyone for carmelo, but I rather have dwill than than him, kuddo's to Billy King (Y) . And about Dwight, hope he enjoys and plays well for LA and kobe for the next few seasons, good luck :cool:
graybakflip

Postby airBerlin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm

i don't know, i think this is a very different team from last season. deron williams was putting up some ugly fg% when he went to the nets, but iirc, he started to put it together towards the end of last season. expecting him to return to his old self this season. gerald wallace should be adjusted to their system. marshon brooks had some flashes last season, should be more efficient this year coming off the bench. they'll have lopez again. plus they have a much better bench now.

i don't even like the nets.
Click here to view my dynasty!
airBerlin

Postby NovU on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Holy fawkamoley jesas cristo. Nets bench raped da fuckatta kg, rondo, pierce the flopping trios from Boston. The Nets are a real deal, imagine em with starters.[/respect]
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby _Steve_ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Badshotter wrote:LOL at the pics. But who knows what can happen right. There are lot of unexpected thing happening in the NBA each year.

Something like this?
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby graybakflip on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:43 pm

graybakflip

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:42 am

Seems like the wise thing to do, given the circumstances.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Can't wait to see the Knicks and Nets. Hope things get better down there.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby graybakflip on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm

In a basketball perspective I guess that was a blessing in disguise. No doubt Knicks are playing great and Nets would probably lose if ever that game happened.

Well even tho the team hasn't gel that well on the offensive end and defense still a work in progress, it's nice to see that this team is actually winning(5 straight; last time was 2008 i think). Great to see a healthy Brook, didn't surprise me at all 'bout his offensive game, but he's getting better on D(i think practicing w/ evans & blatche certainly helped him). JJ is not that effective yet on the teams offensive style, since Avery uses him more often on the block(a big 6'7/8 220-30 pound SG) when there is a mismatch. He's still learning it. Crash is just crash(injured the past 6 games), but he's the focal point on defense(and raised our DefRtg to 17 w/o him). DWill hasn't really made a game where he really dominated, but still good to have a PG w/ his caliber. The thing that really surprises me is our bench. I think we have one of the leagues better bench players there(and are really cheap!). Looking at Stack, partying(playing LOL) like its '96, C.J. a great back-up PG for Deron, Evans!(do I need to say something about him?LOL) man I really loving this dude, MarShon not really the 6th man, but can provide instant offense(defense?uhmm..), and the amnestee's(Chilldres and Blatche), Chilldress might be a hole on offense but he's a better defender than most of the other teams backup SF, Blatche tho many people hated him before, he's proving that he deserved a 2nd chance, a rare talent, he can almost do everything you need for a C/PF, and still has the potential(he's what? like 27/28 y.o?), he can't miss against the Kings last night!(well almost). And the FO managed to have this kind of bench for only like 10M this year? only Teletovic and Evans having a salary more than 1.5M!.

Still the starting line-up needs to gel better(nets i think are the worst 3rdQ team, but one of the best 2ndQ team and that 2ndQ is boosted by the bench production). They also lack that "killer-instinct" as evidenced by blowing big leads!(Minny game, ouch). People might say we've had a better schedule the past week, but Hey! a Win is a Win and were standing 2nd in the conference, also it's been a while having ranked in top 10 on the NBA power rankings. Tomorrow is gonna be a great match-up vs the Lakers, well BRING IT ON!! :cool: :cool:
graybakflip

Postby rise on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:33 am

He should attempt to occasionally rebound and defend some and he just might crack my top 10 centers list.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 am

His free throw shooting is way down and his rebounding numbers are still disappointing for a seven footer, but he's scoring well and doing a pretty good job turning back shots while not showing too many ill-effects from his injuries last year, so that's certainly good news.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:13 pm

It's early but he's been surprisingly great so far into the season. Improved all around, no doubt. But I think his blk(wow!) is sorta fluke. Can't deny upsides to this kid though. Ain't no Dwight but might turn out to be worth the investment considering quality of bigs in this league.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm

His blocking numbers were quite respectable through his first three seasons in the league, only dipping below a block per game in his extremely abbreviated campaign last year, so even if his average drops a little as the year goes on I'd say it isn't a fluke. He's definitely got to do a better job on the boards though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball