NLSC Podcast - Episode #6

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Podcast - Episode #6

Postby Leftos on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 am

Episode #6 (September 25)

Hosts: JaoSming, Leftos

The NBA 2K13 demo is out, so stop playing right now, and listen to our new podcast instead! This week we go through:

• JaoSming's and the community's impressions on the 2K13 demo so far
  • Why the demo may get boring quickly
  • Your and our answers on last week's Question of the Week; the '92 vs. '12 matchup, and the first thing to do when firing up 2K13 for the first time
  • Whether MyTEAM is in the PC version of the game or not

Click here to listen to the show!

Question of the Week: NBA 2K13, hot or cold?
With the NBA 2K13 demo out, do you feel more or less excited than before for the game's release? Has the gameplay, the online, and everything else in the demo been enough to persuade you to buy the game? Have you been disappointed by something you saw in the demo?

We'll be back next week of course, with our first impressions on the full version of NBA 2K13.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #6

Postby Kenny on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:17 am

I've been trying to find the NBA 2k13 demo on the PSN, but I can't seem to for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

My best guess is that it probably won't make me more excited about the game, because the feature I'd most look forward to is the My Player (if it's improved). I loved the feature in 2k11, but my game glitched after I saved during a timeout, so I lost a lot of momentum with my save. Like you guys mentioned, I was also frustrated by the teammate AI.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Leftos on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 am

Jao mentioned your point pretty much, saying that some of the things we're most looking forward to aren't in the demo, and the demo won't persuade us whether the game actually has what we want since it's so limited.

I may have been persuaded by the gameplay improvements that I've seen and all the positive feedback about the gameplay, but I could still be left frustrated if any immersion- or game-breaking bugs show up in Association and/or MyCareer.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby RedPhazon8 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:47 am

The feel for it is defiantly a bigger improvement, the demo AI didn't act like 2K12's in any way (pump fake fest, spin into defenders, actually shot the ball early in the shot clock). I'll say I'm a little more excited since my concerns for the AI are not as bad as they were before hand, since 2K12 had me so frustrated. That aside the AI still did some stupid stuff in the demo so hopefully that isn't a bad sign.
RedPhazon8

Postby The X on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 am

badreligionau wrote:I've been trying to find the NBA 2k13 demo on the PSN, but I can't seem to for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

Don't forget your in Oz. We get it from a couple days to a week later than North America.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm

The X wrote:Don't forget your in Oz. We get it from a couple days to a week later than North America.

I thought we'd be getting it later, but Darren Ng from the Adelaide 36ers was posting his impressions of it and later confirmed that he played it on PS3.

I checked this morning and it was up on the PSN. Downloading it now :)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:49 am

Good episode, hope Jon's feeling a bit better now though. ;)

I haven't posted my NBA 2K13 demo impressions as yet (I'll be doing so shortly) but I kind of went back and forth with it. At times I found myself a bit frustrated with it and 2K's demos rarely do the finished product justice anyway, so my enthusiasm waned a little at times, but there were things I quite liked and I found myself growing accustomed to it after several games. As such, I'm still looking forward to the full version.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 pm

I still think NBA Live 10 has a better control system. The freestyle passing is such a big part of how I play now, as well as controlling players without the ball. I haven't explored the demo controls completely, so these features might exist in some capacity without me knowing. The dribbling with the right stick is something the demo has over Live 10 though. I experimented more with that on my second go and I had a lot of fun with it.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Leftos on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:19 pm

badreligionau, if you switch Total Control in Controller Settings to Total Control instead of Normal, RB + hold any player button will give you off-the-ball control of any of your players. I've been using it to get players open or in the position I want if the AI wasn't being helpful.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 am

badreligionau wrote:The dribbling with the right stick is something the demo has over Live 10 though. I experimented more with that on my second go and I had a lot of fun with it.

I'd still take Freestyle/Quick Strike over the Control Stick myself, though I've grown a little more accustomed to it the more I've played the demo.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:22 pm

badreligionau wrote:I still think NBA Live 10 has a better control system. The freestyle passing is such a big part of how I play now, as well as controlling players without the ball. I haven't explored the demo controls completely, so these features might exist in some capacity without me knowing. The dribbling with the right stick is something the demo has over Live 10 though. I experimented more with that on my second go and I had a lot of fun with it.

i was a fan of the freestyle passing because i was constantly holding direct pass to find a specific guy i wanted to get the ball to, but if at the last second another guy gets open, i could easily flip the stick and hit him quickly without thinking about what button to push

i also liked the abilty to control the guy you are passing to, to move him away from defenders before passing.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby chicagoRAW on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 am

So no more podcasts?
chicagoRAW

Postby Leftos on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 am

We're trying to coordinate our schedules and get together, but it's been a pretty busy time for all of us. We're hoping to get one out ASAP.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:07 am

Leftos wrote:We're trying to coordinate our schedules and get together, but it's been a pretty busy time for all of us. We're hoping to get one out ASAP.

Good, strangely I miss you dorks. :whistle: :shifty:
chicagoRAW

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 am

We'll take it as a compliment. As I said before, it's good to know folks are listening and looking forward to them. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard