FPS

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

FPS

Postby atrak5[LTU] on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm

I play my NBA 2k12 on 1600x900 resolution, VSync - off, Anti-Aliasing - off, arena/crowd detail/texture quality - high, player - medium. On these settings I get 66 FPS but when I set player settings to high (jerseys are moving), then I get 30 FPS.
So my question is how to modify my PC (change video card) in order to play NBA 2k13 almost on maximum settings?

My PC information:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3,00 Ghz
RAM: 4gb
GPU: GeForce 8600GT (256Mb)
atrak5[LTU]

Re: FPS

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am

In short, upgrade your video card. It's letting the rest of your specs down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:02 am

If you want moving jerseys, get an FX or i5 Quad Core.
benji

Postby shorty_ubk on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 am

I was asking it before but i can't take any answer so I'm asking again in here (no need for new topic i think ;) )

My computer specs're: Amd phenom x3 2.8 ghz, 4 gb ddr2 800mhz ram, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD4830 1gb 256bit (2gb with ram overdrive) (my system's point 5,9 'cause of my harddisk by Win7 64-bit) but still playing NBA 2k12 in 30-35 fps full settings (everthing's on high) + v-sync on, AAx8 but I playing skyrim in same computer with full settings, full AA and better graphics mod 45-55 even sometimes 60fps...:S if NBA 2K13 uses same spec's as NBA 2K12 , what'll be my fps and should I make an upgrade??
Sorry for My Bad English...;)

R.I.P. Clifford Lee Burton, Darrell Lance "Dimebag" Abbott, Charles "Chuck" Schuldiner and Ronnie James "Dio"

#occupygezi http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com/
shorty_ubk
Pure Metalhead

Postby benji on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 am

2K is heavily CPU limited, it seems to want six or more threads for those jersey physics since they do almost nothing on the GPU.
benji

Postby Leftos on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 pm

I should post a sticky about this on a PC section or something.

Everybody who has VSync on, should be forcing Triple Buffering through D3DOverrider or some other tool.

VSync is nice in getting rid of the weird effects of the half-frame rendering, but if your card isn't producing a constant FPS rate matching your monitor's refresh rate, you'll get the highest framerate that divides your monitor's refresh rate with no remainder, that's still lower than the FPS produced from your graphics card.

So, if you turn on VSync on a 60Hz refresh rate, you'll get 60FPS as long as your graphics card is producing at least 60 FPS, but if it doesn't, and does anything between 30 and 60 FPS, you'll get 30FPS, because 60/2=30.

Triple Buffering makes sure to pre-render frames, so you get a framerate much closer to what your graphics card is able to produce. It's like having VSync, without the FPS lock. Your framerate will still be limited to your monitor's refresh rate, you won't have any splits due to incomplete frames, but you'll get much better performance than just VSync.

Here's a really good explanation on the matter: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593
And here's RivaTuner, which includes D3DOverrider in it's tools subdirectory after installation: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/rivatuner.html

As for the OP, yes, jersey movements are CPU intensive, although they shouldn't be. It's just bad optimization on 2K's part. Although I'll disagree with benji on the requirement of an i5 to get 60FPS. I've posted this a lot of times already, but my E6750 which only has 2 cores and was overclocked to 3.2GHz handled High Player settings and moving jerseys just fine, along with everything else maxed out, 58-60 FPS constant, VSync and Triple Buffering on. Granted, I had a GTX460 on there, but it was only ever utilized up to 30%, so it didn't make much difference.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Nvidia now has adaptive vsync in the drivers, it only kicks in as long as your above the refresh rate with almost no performance hit.

And I still don't buy these claims of a e6750 being able to play the games maxed out at 1080p and 60fps in the benchmark. FRAPS on the other hand reports a completely different frame rate where it is believable.
benji

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:07 am

Whether you buy it benji or not, I got near 57FPS in the benchmark, and FRAPS was reporting framerates really close to 60 FPS at all times. I have no reason to lie to you, and since I've upgraded, I can't provide you with a screenshot to make you a believer.

I had tried Adaptive V-Sync in one of the first BETA drivers in which it was implemented, and I don't remember it working as well as I'd like compared to VSync + TB. I'll try it again, now that you mention it.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:25 am

As I mentioned I have an e8400, 6GB of the same RAM you and Pdub had, and then a 8800GT and 560GTX. The benchmark says 40-45 FPS in all the games with both cards, on both a Vista install and 7 install. FRAPS says it's basically 60FPS. (Which it isn't really because of those HD hitches.)

Adaptive works well in the latest WQHL, 306. Much better than a normal ingame vsync.
benji

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:33 am

I'll try Adaptive V-Sync out then. Thanks for the heads-up.

Funny thing is, I got the hiccups and lower FPS you mentioned on Windows 7. Was playing all non-DX10/11 games on XP exclusively up until a few weeks ago when I upgraded to an i5. Games on XP with my previous set-up that I mentioned were smooth as butter, hiccups and stuttering were all too annoying in the same games on Windows 7.

No idea why, it was just the way it was.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby atrak5[LTU] on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:47 am

So as I understand there is no reason to change video card?
atrak5[LTU]

Postby Leftos on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

benji, back on the Adaptive V-Sync topic, I tried it out, but tearing does occur below 60FPS as well when V-Sync is turned off (what Adaptive does), so I think I'll go with regular V-Sync + Triple Buffering.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Return to NBA 2K12