Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 pm

:lol: his face at the 'a bit better' part.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby deihatein on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 am

shadowgrin wrote::lol: his face at the 'a bit better' part.

Lol didn't catch that the first time around. His younger self saying "resolution" is also funny
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am

Gotta give him credit again for poking fun at his younger self and including videos that probably make him cringe a bit. It definitely added to the video, contrasting his earlier fanboyish arguments with the more mature, fair-handed comparison.

I'm not too surprised (nor disappointed) to see the Super Nintendo get the nod, but I think he argued the point well. On the subject of the boxes, even though it's a minor point, it is an interesting one. Most people I knew did actually keep the boxes and I still have most of my games in the boxes with the manuals, though a lot of the boxes aren't in great condition anymore. Sega had the right idea there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 pm

New Nerd Memories: Killer Instinct

"To Boldly Flee" has also begun over on TGWTG. I'm currently waiting for all the parts to be released so that I can watch it all the way through.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 pm

All eight parts of "To Boldly Flee" have been released, so I set aside some time this evening to watch them. All I can say is...wow. Their past anniversary specials have all been entertaining but in terms of the production values and the story, this was definitely the slickest and best one to date. Lots of good jokes from everyone, too. It's lengthy with Parts 1 and 8 both topping 40 minutes - I probably should've watched them as they came out, though it was great to watch it as one long, epic movie - but it's well worth checking out.

Along with his Scooby Doo review, it also served as a fitting finale for the Nostalgia Critic character, which Doug has confirmed he's retiring in favour of a new series...at least as a weekly series and the site's flagship show. A risky move but an understandable one. While I enjoy his reviews, he's covered a lot of the stuff that he needed to. While some might say it's already happened - and I would disagree with them - it is nice that he's ending the series before it becomes stale and ridden into the ground. I'm sorry to see it happen, but what a way to go out. Some of the fan reactions have been rather disappointing to see, but that's the Internet for you.

It's also awesome that they've now got their own studio. There should be some exciting new stuff from them in the near future. In the meantime, I'm tempted to order "To Boldly Flee" on DVD.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 pm

I haven't finished it the whole special yet because as you said, its really long lol. But yeah I agree that retiring NC despite him being one of my favorites is probably a good thing. It doesn't seem like they're making the character die completely, just using him more sparingly and allowing Doug to work on other ideas which i have no problem with. I don't understand why everyone feels each person can only review one thing/style rather than having a range and I think this may allow him more freedom and creativity.

I enjoy much of the team during specials even though I dont usually watch their shows. I started watching Paw's musical movies reviews and found that I have quite similar taste.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 pm

With the discovery that Luke is indeed Colin Mochrie's son, I think I'm going to have to give his shows a look.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 pm

NEW ABEEGN!

phpBB [video]
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Good episode, nice to see a new one come out.

Also, a trailer for Doug's new show:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... el-trailer
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:08 am

Watched the premiere of Demo Reel last week. I thought it was alright, it certainly has potential but it's definitely getting a mixed reaction so far. I think a large portion of the fanbase are determined to dislike it because it's not the Nostalgia Critic and they're upset that that's ended, which isn't exactly fair. That said, it might take a few episodes for it to really get going, longtime fans to warm up to it and new fans to discover it. I think Doug and co can make it work, though I'm guessing they must be privately a little disappointed by the somewhat lukewarm reaction.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:42 am

Nerd Movie Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz95K1ngiI
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Awesome. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:50 pm

phpBB [video]

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Good episode. Kinda cool to see cameo appearances by NBA Live (not to mention the predecessor, NBA Showdown) and NBA Jam. Some of those really primitive sports games are pretty funny to play these days, kind of fun to pull them out and see/remember how things used to be. His closing comments are pretty on target, I'd say.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I think its interesting though there's this common perception that you cant be both a sports nerd and video game nerd. They aren't mutually exclusive anymore.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 pm

I think in this case, it's just James admitting he's not really into sports.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 am

So once again, is anyone else watching Doug Walker's new show, Demo Reel? It continues to get a fair amount of hate from the Channel Awesome fanbase but I feel like it's getting better, finding its feet and developing into what it wants to be. It's not a straight up comedy and I think that's something a lot of fans are having difficulty getting over, but there's some good humour there and the story is getting fairly interesting in my view. I think it's definitely a good idea that he's still doing a review show with Rob and I'm enjoying this year's Disneycember, but Demo Reel still has potential and it's growing on me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:11 am

benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm

So that's what that was all about. People seriously need to get over that. He took part in a commercial for a project that was probably ill-advised, but no one was forced to pay any money if they didn't want to; they could've ignored it just like any other commercial that an entertainer/artist may take part in. As for the Kickstarter campaign for the movie, again no one had to contribute if they didn't want to and the movie has been made. Hardly a "scam", no matter what that fellow and a handful of YouTube ranters claim.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Huge news coming out of Channel Awesome.

So, the Nostalgia Critic is coming back, on a fortnightly basis with the possibility of mini-episodes in the off-weeks. Certainly welcome news to me and a pretty entertaining way to bring him back. It remains to be seen what will happen with Demo Reel, which was starting to find its way and I was enjoying. It seems like they're canning it, but maybe they'll re-tool it or find something new for the new actors to do. In any event, I'm looking forward to February 5th.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:51 pm

The Nostalgia Critic is officially back! Fine episode to return with, I like the intro that he's added. Funny stuff and it was nice to see the actors from Demo Reel making some appearances. Glancing at some of the comments on the video, some people aren't huges fan of that or some of the new things he's trying in the return episode but I think it's refreshing, plus there's still plenty of the old humour there. Good to have him back.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 am

Doug released his first Nostalgia Critic film editorial, a shorter episode for the off-weeks between regular review episodes. I thought it came off well, a refreshing change of pace that'll hopefully help him avoid burnout and keep everyone entertained in between the fortnightly reviews. So far so good in the comeback.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:12 am

phpBB [video]

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Always good to see a new Nerd episode. That said, to be honest this wasn't one of his best; I did enjoy some of the back and forth and Kyle's riffing was pretty funny in parts, but some parts fell a bit flat. I did enjoy it all the same.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 am

Andrew wrote:Always good to see a new Nerd episode. That said, to be honest this wasn't one of his best; I did enjoy some of the back and forth and Kyle's riffing was pretty funny in parts, but some parts fell a bit flat. I did enjoy it all the same.

Agree. It was an ok episode. The part where he resurrect the guitar guy is cool, but is it explain why he is dead anyway?

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic