NBA Live 13 Not Coming Out Oct. 2nd. Not Cancelled

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

NBA Live 13 Not Coming Out Oct. 2nd. Not Cancelled

Postby Leftos on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:00 am

The first official trailer for NBA Live 13 came with the news of its release's indefinite postponement. Kotaku has an article on it.

NBA Live 13 is effectively delayed indefinitely. While EA Sports may say the game isn't, technically, delayed because it was never given a release date, the publisher today acknowledged many had expected it to release Oct. 2 alongside competitor NBA 2K13, and said it's giving the NBA Live development team more time to shore up a game that left E3 roundly panned and had gone AWOL in the three months since.

The release of that trailer above, however, at least pushes back speculation that the entire project would be scrapped, the fate that befell its predecessor, NBA Elite 11, back in 2010. But EA Sports provided no guidance on when this game would release, whether that would be in the month of October or even 2012. A release on Oct. 2 would seem to be off the table, though.

An EA Sports spokesman also would not comment on rumors that the game would be released as a download-only version over Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Store.

"The team is making steady progress, and we're continuing our work on NBA Live," Andrew Wilson, the executive vice president in charge of the EA Sports label, said in a statement. "We remain focused on rebuilding this franchise for the future."

Another statement from EA Sports acknowledged that customers had been anticipating an Oct. 2 release but "our plan is to release at a later date. We will share more information in the future."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5943075/nba-live-13-is-basically-delayed-although-this-trailer-suggests-it-hasnt-been-canceled

Both on the NLSC Podcast as well as Da Czar's Simnation Radio Show I had mentioned that I didn't believe EA should force themselves to release a game in October, and that they should take their time until they have a good product. They seem to have done that, and bar another cancellation, we should be getting a better product than what that gameplay video showed us.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA Live 13 delayed indefinitely, but not cancelled

Postby XPviper on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 am

But well they should release the game in 2012, because otherwise they would break a contract rule, that they need to release one NBA game each year.. Or is NBA Baller Beats being made by EA?
XPviper

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:20 am

Baller Beats is not an EA game, lol

but your argument is sound, Jam filled in that requirement the last two years it seems.

IMO, great move, let 2K have its launch, release later.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 am

NBA Jam: Boomshakalaka Edition is coming to fill in for EA's 2012 release, and JaoSming called it first.

NLSC Podcast baby, where predictions come true.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 am

the "indefinite" delay is speculation by Kotaku, not what EA said.
Kotaku sez wrote:NBA Live 13 is effectively delayed indefinitely

EA sez wrote:Another statement from EA Sports acknowledged that customers had been anticipating an Oct. 2 release but "our plan is to release at a later date. We will share more information in the future."

Nothing about the game being cancelled, nothing about indefinite delays. It's just not coming out October 2nd. You guys can speculate all you want, but you'll just sound crazier than me :D
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 am

Do you know what the word indefinite means?
benji

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:35 am

benji wrote:Do you know what the word indefinite means?

While EA Sports may say the game isn't, technically, delayed because it was never given a release date,
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 am

I'm sure the league intended both games to come out on the same day.
benji

Postby jmoney777 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 am

EA leaked that crappy early build to give themselves time to get fan reaction and improve their game. They sure are sneaky this year but I like it. As long as it comes out before the nba starts I'm cool.
jmoney777

Re: NBA Live 13 Not Coming Out Oct. 2nd. Not Cancelled

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 am

Then why didn't they say Oct. 2nd at E3 like 2K?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:40 am

Because this is an actual artist's rendering of the development office:

And here's at EA Corporate:
benji

Postby fjccommish on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 am

Those images appear accurate.
fjccommish

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:40 am

fjccommish wrote:Those images appear accurate.

Your browser is working correctly.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:00 am

I'll release this as my statement from yesterday's new about the delay!!

EA Sports had news that came out yesterday that NBA Live 13 is being delayed indefinitely, and won’t be coming out on Oct. 2nd. To some it might anger you that this is the case, but honestly, this is the best case scenario for the franchise. I know the word in the forums that EA doesn’t care about putting out a great basketball game, but I can assure you that’s not the case. EA has decided to give the development team more time to polish up the game, instead of releasing a rushed product. The decision came based on the feedback from me and the rest of the Advisory Council. I believe this was the best decision for this game moving forward, they wanted our opinion, we gave it to them, and guess what? They listened. If they didn’t want our input, they wouldn’t be spending all this money on us to visit their studio. For me personally, I’ve been on the other side along with other NBA Live fans wanting a playable game to enjoy, and I’m using that feeling to fuel a lot of my decision making while I’m at EA Studios. I have to make the most of this opportunity because I truly care about the Live franchise and I want it to be on par with the FIFA and NHL franchises, gameplay wise. The foundation of this game is important, I can’t stress that enough.

I cannot comment on release dates or the rumored pricing of NBA Live 13, but I can tell you sometime in October me and the rest of the council members will be going back to Orlando to see the progress of the game. It will be definitely coming out this year, so it has NOT been cancelled. Since we became Ad Council members, we have given the development team 100% honest feedback on the game. We also gave them pages and pages of information so they can reference our ideas later as well. Execution is the key, so just be patient.

To the NBA Live fans, and I’m only talking to you, NBA live has a lot of potential to get back to being the great basketball game we used to love. I’ve played tons of games during my visits to Orlando and can assure you, it’s going in the right direction regardless of the perception it’s at right now.

That’s all I’m going to say for now!! Stay tuned for more updates in the future on NBA Live 13

Link to my blog: http://thaliveking.com/2012/09/14/nbali ... y-council/

Corey's response is up as well: http://mynbalivepad.com/nba-live-13-sta ... e-trailer/
ThaLiveKing

Postby iforgotmypassword on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:12 pm

i would like to think this means a better product but EA have jerked fans around for so long that I don't have much faith
iforgotmypassword

Postby [Q] on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote: I can tell you sometime in October me and the rest of the council members will be going back to Orlando to see the progress of the game. It will be definitely coming out this year, so it has NOT been cancelled.

sounds like a nov/dec release if they are going to change stuff after a council visit in october
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby D12 Insanity on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 am

I think that NBA Live 13 looked very well, not worth $60, I would definitely buy it for $20. I really liked that ESPN scoreboard, 2k needs to add that I would really love that game
D12 Insanity

Postby Leftos on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 am

EA has a 15-year deal with ESPN that will end 2020. So 2K could make an ESPN-like scoreboard, but no chance of ESPN integration. Given their relationship with TNT (which hasn't been brought up this year due to the Jay-Z integration most probably), I would expect a TNT-esque scoreaboard, but there's always the NLSC modders catering to that.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 am

EA has decided to give the development team more time to polish up the game, instead of releasing a rushed product. The decision came based on the feedback from me and the rest of the Advisory Council.

lol as if the the Advisory Council can really influence sales decisions, it's not like they didn't do the same thing with Elite 11, delay the release to give the dev team more time. We all know what happened with that.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby JaoSming on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 am

shadowgrin wrote:
EA has decided to give the development team more time to polish up the game, instead of releasing a rushed product. The decision came based on the feedback from me and the rest of the Advisory Council.

lol as if the the Advisory Council can really influence sales decisions, it's not like they didn't do the same thing with Elite 11, delay the release to give the dev team more time. We all know what happened with that.

Again, we don't know if the game is delayed or not based from what EA has planned. It's not wrong to expect Live 13 to have the same release date as 2K13, just like every year previously, but EA has only said October 2012 for the release date
http://info.ea.com/products/p1395/nba-live-13
US Ship/Street Date
Oct 2012

That has been unchanged since that page existed.

The Live team only said..... http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/a ... -13-update
Many fans have been anticipating an early October launch, but our plan is to release at a later date. We will share more information in the future.

So yes, #NBALive13Optimist and the game might come out in mid or late October, digitally, disc, whatever, but the only person that said the word "delay" was Owen Good from Kotaku. EA's said nothing that has wavered from that October 2012 release window.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 am

I am getting a vibe from this "later date" release news. It reminds me of NBA Live 2001 for PC, which got a February release.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:01 pm

shadowgrin wrote:

I think it's funny how people are down talking the Advisory Council as if we're stupid and don't know what we're talking about when we're in the room with the devs. Calling this a PR move lol. Shit is funny to me. 3 trips this year alone for NBA Live 13, and yet, we've done nothing to influence the game or given any type of feedback LOL!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 pm

I think it's funny how you think you're stupid, nobody said you're stupid, at least in this thread.

I don't doubt the "Advisory Council's" influence on game development, my doubt was on influencing SALES DECISION.
Giving the devs more time to make a game they feel is worth it to be released and polishing up the game for the consumers to like and to avoid competition with 2K13's release date has more to do with sales.
Heck even bringing in the Advisory Council is also related to sales, same with the lost development time EA had because of them doing 'market research' (along with forming the new team) as EA said so themselves.
You can even consider it a PR move because if they release the game early (Oct. 2) with no polish that can live up to the consumers minimum expectations then it's another PR disaster for the brand considering what has happened these past few years.

Stop with the self-pity.

JaoSming wrote:Again, we don't know if the game is delayed or not based from what EA has planned. It's not wrong to expect Live 13 to have the same release date as 2K13, just like every year previously, but EA has only said October 2012 for the release date

iirc the NBA sets the deadline release date for their licensed games that's why it has been that way in the previous years for 2Kx and Live.
It's safe to assume that the 2K13 release date is the deadline set by the NBA and anything past that is a delay, especially for a game that had 2 years to get its act together.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby JaoSming on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Your post was very similar in tone and content as other people on other sites that have been very negative towards the counsel. I grouped you in with the other people just the same with that post. Especially since a Kotaku article mentioned how the counsel affected marketing decisions about showing the game too early, and possibly with releasing directly with 2K (sales).

if the October release is still a possibility, and they are going back to see it one more time in October, its probably to see the final product.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Was editing post before I saw the recent reply...
shadowgrin wrote:Heck even bringing in the Advisory Council is also related to sales, same with the lost development time EA had because of them doing 'market research' (along with forming the new team) as EA said so themselves.

JaoSming wrote:Especially since a Kotaku article mentioned how the counsel affected marketing decisions about showing the game too early, and possibly with releasing directly with 2K (sales).

It's a Kotaku article who's opinions are from a writer, not EA itself. Same way the 'delay' of the release of Live 13 is just Kotaku's idea and not EA's.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Next

Return to NBA Live 14