Overall Ratings Slowly Getting Revealed! More to come...

Talk about NBA 2K13 here.

Re: Overall Ratings Slowly Getting Revealed! More to come...

Postby volsey on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:57 am

Or at least tell us the formula for calculating the OVR. How tendencies play into it (which they probably don't but should), what the key attributes are for position, how/if potential, weight, height, skin color plays a part in it.

They truly are meaningless, I mean, I think most of the people who play the game know the strengths of each of the main guys in the league, so really how does one number change the way you pick players for your team? If I need a shooter, and don't have a particular guy in mind, I'll sort by the shooting attributes, and then look at other factors afterwords. Likewise for rebounding, or a defense-focused player. I rarely ever look at OVR unless I'm glancing at scrubs in a trade.

I never really understood the early release of OVR's either really.
volsey

Postby Nick on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:28 pm

eda wrote:I was wondering here, why is it so important for most of you to know the ratings before the game comes out?

Who said it was important?
How tendencies play into it (which they probably don't but should)

^ This!
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby chicagoRAW on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 am

People have always liked to talk about ratings. Even though there is no legit formula for it, everyone thinks they know what they're talking about. Majority of it is based on stats which are just as deceiving as they are telling. Just like which market you play in depends on how much exposure you get (example Jeremy Lin). I can make a great case on how Rondo should be rated in the low 80's based on several factors and then you can have someone make a case on why he should be rated 90. (I would like to see if all the Rondo fanboys would be on his nuts if he played on the bucks or a team of that insignificance ;) :P )
chicagoRAW

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:47 am

We could use Eureqa to determine the formula. If someone gives me a spreadsheet with complete Player Ratings and each one's overall, I could use Eureqa to approximate the formula that calculates the Overall rating for each position.

http://creativemachines.cornell.edu/eureqa

EDIT: You can get player ratings from REditor easily, it's the Skills category. Overall ratings you'll have to grab from in-game. Can't do it myself as 1) I don't have 2K12 installed on this PC, 2) can't be bothered enough to do much else other than run Eureqa on the data.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:44 am

Andrew Bynum, Tyreke Evans and MKG added to the list.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby rise on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:34 am

That pretty much already makes MKG our best player. :lol:

No way anyone else on the Bobcats is a 78.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Wim.vl on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:41 am

Haha isn't anyone on Twitter interested in LeBron's ratings ?? :P
'More rings than Lebron, baby'

- White Mamba
Wim.vl

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:27 am

Wim.vl wrote:Haha isn't anyone on Twitter interested in LeBron's ratings ?? :P

That's a good point. You'd think he'd be one of the first ones revealed, after cover players Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin. Speaking of which, Derrick Rose is also a cover player with a considerable fan following; I'd have thought his rating would be one of the first revealed, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ballyoop on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am

00-01 AI should be 91, overrated...

is this it, that's what it's all about, manny?
Ballyoop
collywobbles

Postby Wim.vl on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Andrew wrote:
Wim.vl wrote:Haha isn't anyone on Twitter interested in LeBron's ratings ?? :P

That's a good point. You'd think he'd be one of the first ones revealed, after cover players Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin. Speaking of which, Derrick Rose is also a cover player with a considerable fan following; I'd have thought his rating would be one of the first revealed, too.

One reason of the lack of interest in Lebron's ratings, could be the general assumption that his ratings won't be much better (certainly not worse) than last year?
KD was underrated last year IMO, so I was interested in his ratings. And rose will remain the same, unless they drop some points with his ACL injury, but that wouldn't make sense. And he's sort of 'out of the spotlight' due to his injury. And Melo had an astonishing run in the olympics.
I don't know, but lebron's rating won't be a surprise anymore. That's why many rookies/ new legends are requested, the element of surprise?
It's just a thought

EDIT: guess I'll have to edit my signature now ...
'More rings than Lebron, baby'

- White Mamba
Wim.vl

Postby chicagoRAW on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:23 am

Derek Rose rated 92. Another reason Rondo is waaay over rated at 90. This is a screen shot I got off twitter, I don't like how the interface looks at all.

Last edited by chicagoRAW on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chicagoRAW

Postby benji on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:33 am

An A for I.Q.?!?!?!?
benji

Postby bowdown on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:45 am

I know overall ratings dont mean much but Kevin Love is not 89 worth man. He doesnt even have post moves. He is the best cleanup man in the NBA but he is not a reliable post threat. That means he is the best at gobbling rebounds and getting putbacks but he is not a go to guy when u want buckets late in the game. Also very good at 3s. They are probably going to give Aldridge just a 84 rating. Making him look like a bitch to the whole world.
bowdown

Postby shorty_ubk on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:06 am

bowdown wrote:I know overall ratings dont mean much but Kevin Love is not 89 worth man. He doesnt even have post moves. He is the best cleanup man in the NBA but he is not a reliable post threat. That means he is the best at gobbling rebounds and getting putbacks but he is not a go to guy when u want buckets late in the game. Also very good at 3s. They are probably going to give Aldridge just a 84 rating. Making him look like a bitch to the whole world.

I agree to you about Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge 'cause LMA's better than both of Kevin Love and Blake Griffin but he's very underrated player... :evil:
Sorry for My Bad English...;)

R.I.P. Clifford Lee Burton, Darrell Lance "Dimebag" Abbott, Charles "Chuck" Schuldiner and Ronnie James "Dio"

#occupygezi http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com/
shorty_ubk
Pure Metalhead

Postby _Steve_ on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Grant Hill is said to be 55 overall (watch Ronnie2k's Sneak Peek of MyCarrer in 2k13). But it seems as if were injured. Ronnie was also in his 4th season iirc from the video, so Hill was even older...
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby imaiden on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Ronnie made a mistake there, it's his durability, if you check that screenshot one more time. I was a little suprised he made such an error, overall 55 is pretty much a scrub player and Grant was a starting SF last season for the Suns.
imaiden

Postby hova- on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

You guys should just understand the importance of positions in overall ratings.

Neither Rondo nor Love are overrated because if you look at what 2k values most on their positions (playmaking, onball D/rebounding, inside scoring) than these ratings are okay. Rondo has no shot, yes, but it's not that important for the overall rating of a PG in 2k games. Love is a rebounding beast and has good ratings in inside scoring because this is where he scores many of his points (next to shooting the three).
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:02 am

no way rondo is overrated at 90. outside of his jump shot he does everything you want a point to do and does it better than anyone else in the game.
Sauru

Postby bowdown on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 am

Sauru wrote:no way rondo is overrated at 90. outside of his jump shot he does everything you want a point to do and does it better than anyone else in the game.

Yeah I agree. He is the best pure Point Guard and the only thing he doesnt do well is outside shooting. Everything else, even his rebounding is stellar for his position.

And I understand about Aldridge now. He is a PF but his rebounding is not top notch. So the game probably docks him points for that. But his overall inside scoring attributes should be better than Love's even though Love maybe rated way higher overall.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 am

One or two glaring weaknesses and a player's athleticism/dunking attributes can greatly affect their overall rating, with the end result not always being ideal. Players like Josh Smith often end up looking a least a little bit overrated, because their athletic and dunking ratings pull up their overall because they're not weighted any less in its calculation. Similarly, Steve Nash often appears underrated because he's not an outstanding athlete and his defense isn't the best in the league, so his overall is usually slightly lower than you'd like as far as indicating his value and rank among point guards. As you noted, Rondo's perimeter and free throw shooting drag him down a bit.

It's the bane of anyone making roster updates, so I can certainly sympathise with the developers here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby volsey on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:25 pm

It is an Overall attribute after all. If it did disregard a players lesser attributes it wouldn't really serve the purpose of an overall attribute right? I always thought in addition to the regular OFF and DEF quick-glance attributes a SKILL attribute or something along those lines would be useful. But now I think the Signature Skill icons will do an even better job.
volsey

Postby chicagoRAW on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Sauru wrote:no way rondo is overrated at 90. outside of his jump shot he does everything you want a point to do and does it better than anyone else in the game.

Naw, Rondo is a hustle player and very over rated by the east coast/celtic bias. He has benefited from playing with hall of famers during his bloom. And everyone saw what a big market spotlight can do for a player with Jeremy Lin. Rondo dives for a loose ball against an old and crusty jason williams and everyone goes nuts... Derek Rose runs circles around Rondo and it's forgotten in two seconds. Oh, and don't take my word for it. How about the fact that no one even cared that he wasn't mentioned with being on the dream team by any player or coach. Yea Yea Yea, he plays on the Celtics with great team mates. Won a ring as a role player. And all common sense gets thrown out the window. He's a remarkable passer, a horrible leader, an even worse offensive player. Put him on the hornets or the bucks and he'd be an after thought.

By the way, I'm shocked that Grant Hill is rated 55 that is insanely low for his level of production.
chicagoRAW

Postby Rob Owen on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 pm

That Grant Hill's 55 was explained time and time again it was durability, i think Ronnie didn't notice it.
Rob Owen

Postby imaiden on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I'd say, it's best to fiddle around with the player's editor, to get a feel of how overall is calculated. Pick a player that has a unique ability (f.ex. Anthony Morrow with his 3pt shooting) or better yet, create one, by maxing out the player's attributes (you can try, one at a time) and switching the player's position. But I'm sure most of y'all has already done this :D
imaiden

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 pm

bowdown wrote:Kevin Love...not a go to guy when u want buckets late in the game. Also very good at 3s.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Overall ratings are still in the game because the cpu trade AI takes into account the overall ratings of the players involved in a potential trade. As long as 2K doesn't change the game's trade logic the need for overall ratings will still be there.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K13