IRB Gamer: EA Rep Says October Release $20 XBLA & PSN

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

IRB Gamer: EA Rep Says October Release $20 XBLA & PSN

Postby 22cedric on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:24 am

http://irbgamer.com/2012/08/confirmed-n ... s-october/

“It’s been almost 3 years since we’ve released an NBA title,” the EA rep said. The tactic is to get feedback from gamers. However, it’s a bit risky to not run it as the AAA title as thedecision has been made to NOT put the game on disc.
22cedric

Re: IRB Gamer: EA Rep Says October Release $20 XBLA & PSN

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 am

Seems like a legit site, legit expo, legit plan (IMO)

No official press release from EA on it yet though.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Confirmed: NBA Live 13 will drop this October

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 am

Interesting...thanks for the heads up.

If this is accurate, we'll see what that means for the game. Perhaps they'll be updating and tweaking the game through the year, with a view to a disc based release next year after garnering gamer feedback.

Also, if they're doing a digital release, Steam is right there. Just saying. :whistle:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Confirmed: NBA Live 13 will drop this October

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 am

Andrew wrote:Also, if they're doing a digital release, Steam is right there. Just saying. :whistle:

We'd also embrace EA's Origin service as well :shifty:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:51 am

That too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:09 am

Hey, at least the game is going to be 10 times less than what JaoSming admitted to be willing to pay for it on the 2nd podcast.

But no, Jao, be a good boy and give your $200 to EA. Please, please do.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 am

Leftos wrote:Hey, at least the game is going to be 10 times less than what JaoSming admitted to be willing to pay for it on the 2nd podcast.

That was for a copy of Elite 11
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby wisealma on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

This is a bad sign, honestly. If they thought this was a AAA game, they'd treat it like one. They'd charge 50 bucks for it, and distribute it like normal.

2k got'em again.

Wise
Thanks
Wisealma

wisealma

Postby 22cedric on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:56 am

So will NBA Live 14 be a full quality game if NBA Live 13 is going to be a downloadable game ? EA Sports needs to give us updates. All this silence is making me upset.
22cedric

Postby Deyman on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Well, it is confirmed. After seeing the footage I think we kinda knew it, but nice for (more of) a confirmation. I have extra MSP so I'll be getting this.
Deyman

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 pm

wisealma wrote:This is a bad sign, honestly. If they thought this was a AAA game, they'd treat it like one. They'd charge 50 bucks for it, and distribute it like normal.

2k got'em again.

Wise

They already stated that they weren't in competition with 2k this year. With that low price, they will probably get more interest and sales.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Pdub wrote:With that low price, they will probably get more interest and sales.

With digital only, they will have a bomb on their hands. This is the type of game you have to have retail for.

The only reason* this is even coming out at all is because EA is trying to get something, anything for all the money thrown away on the disaster of the last three years. It must be really bad for them to feel it's not worth marketing it enough while dumping $30-40 disc copies to leech whatever they can off 2K.

*The other reason is I bet the NBA license requires them to put out a game every year or so.
benji

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 pm

benji wrote:*The other reason is I bet the NBA license requires them to put out a game every year or so.

Jam (Disc) and Jam: On Fire Edition would be the 2010 and 2011 games, adhering to such an agreement.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby burnshroom on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:01 am

Posted this on the front page article regarding this...

mlp111 says:
August 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm
disappointed, its almost like paying 20 dollars for a demo,

Andrew says:
August 31, 2012 at 9:29 am
How so?

burnshroom says:
August 31, 2012 at 11:23 am
If not a demo then yes a beta, obviously. We are being asked to pay to beta test a game. Unfortunately I don’t know another way to look at it.

I get the idea to get feedback and then use that feedback to improve the game. However, the fact that you have obviously fallen short of your TWO YEAR goal to start from scratch to get a product to fans that have been waiting for it and with no release of information leading up to what will be an online release only is suspect.

This release has not come from EA officially however with the lack of info and details we have to take what we can get. A leak of a game was spread to the internet and it let fans shaking their heads asking what is EA doing, and EAs only response was that it was an old build. There has yet to be any updated info provided.

So to now give in to release date pressures, to just get something out there and charge $20 for it and then build on that to make it what you expect that is called “beta testing” and most beta testing happens at no cost. Not to mention what features will be neutered from the final product to get it out by an October release date.

EASports. It’s in the beta-test-game.
burnshroom

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:11 am

Downloadable games policy, AFAIK, requires them to have a downloadable trial as well. So if you can play the game and test it out before you buy it, your point about beta-testing is left for blind sheep who'll buy it without even trying the demo/trial or reading users' reviews.

It's like pre-ordering 2K13 before even having played the demo, then not playing the demo, and then complaining on release day about how you don't like it.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby burnshroom on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:49 am

Leftos wrote:Downloadable games policy, AFAIK, requires them to have a downloadable trial as well. So if you can play the game and test it out before you buy it, your point about beta-testing is left for blind sheep who'll buy it without even trying the demo/trial or reading users' reviews.

It's like pre-ordering 2K13 before even having played the demo, then not playing the demo, and then complaining on release day about how you don't like it.

Not if regardless of the demo made available the product released at the 20 dollar price point is still not a viable or unfinished product and what those who do pay for it (and there will be many) pay for something that is still unfinished based on what EA was hoping to have released this time 2 years ago.

The above sentiment as well in the OP also insinuates EA will take feedback and improve on the products next cycle release, unless they patch improvements into the online release product as well. This still indicates a beta test. Making the demo a demo of a beta test product.

I cannot say that I am upset with this option, but will say that I am disappointing. And I expect I am not in the minority in this.
burnshroom

Postby Hiteshom on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:07 am

IMO what their doing is: they aren't releasing this game as a finished game and they are releasing the real thing in about 3 years, For Example:

If I wanted to sell lemonade for $2 I would have to create really good lemonade and it must have the best recipe, but, I don't want to just make endless amounts of lemonade to get the perfect recipe I want to sell that "Prototype" for about 25 cents, and When I have made a GREAT Lemonade I will begin to sell it higher and Higher,

EA doesn't want to pay employees for 3 years and not release a "Prototype" but they want to make money to pay those employees with.
Hiteshom

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:22 am

burnshroom, I get your point. Let's hope that cutting the game down to whatever fits in the $20 price tag means they were able to get a good result in the few things that were left to do.

The trial is not a demo build, just so you know. You download the full game, and it has most of its features locked, until you purchase the unlock code. So unlike 2K's demo which will be "an older build that may not represent the final product", the Live 13 demo is going to be actual final code, gameplay exactly as it will be in the full version, with just most of the features (like game modes and many teams) locked. So you'll still be able to get a good idea of what the gameplay feels like, but you may not know if the rest of the game (things like roster accuracy, game mode depth, difference in how teams play) is worth the $20 until other users review it.

I'm still not optimistic at all about this, mind you.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby 22cedric on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:19 am

EA Sports needs to pedal forward with the NBA Live series it seems like they're pedaling backwards.
22cedric

Postby JaoSming on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:28 pm

22cedric wrote:EA Sports needs to pedal forward with the NBA Live series it seems like they're pedaling backwards.

So, they're coasting? :lol: Although, that would be just doing roster updates and basic upgrades year to year.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby MJALLDAY on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm really hoping EA gets its shit together. I think the whole beta testing game for 20 bucks is a good idea, at least they care about the quality of the game. I know NBA Live has become a whipping boy for a certain percentage of NBA gamers but hey, EA started it all off with Celtics vs Lakers and they have produced some of the best basketball games ever.
MJALLDAY

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:54 pm

JaoSming wrote:
22cedric wrote:EA Sports needs to pedal forward with the NBA Live series it seems like they're pedaling backwards.

So, they're coasting? :lol: Although, that would be just doing roster updates and basic upgrades year to year.

Coasting would be not pedaling at all. Pedaling backwards means whatever EA is doing is a waste of effort.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby JaoSming on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 am

I pedal backwards for fun :cool:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer