NLSC Podcast - Episode #1

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Podcast - Episode #1

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:12 am

Episode #1

Hosts: JaoSming, Leftos

Topics include:

• The latest happenings in the NLSC Community
  • The NBA 2K13 “preview season”, which is picking up steam
  • What they’re looking forward to in NBA 2K13
  • Thoughts on the impressions we’ve received from the NBA 2K13 Team Up participants
  • The lack of info on NBA Live 13

Listen here.

Please excuse some audio issues in this episode, we'll be cleaning that up in future shows. Please also note that this was recorded before the second Developer Insight video for NBA 2K13 and the leaked footage of NBA Live 13.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #1 Out Now

Postby Leftos on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:23 am

As noted by Andrew, audio quality is going to be a lot better next time (the recording settings were reset to really low quality for some reason). As he also noted, the podcast was recorded yesterday, before today’s videos of 2K13 and Live 13.

We had lots of fun doing the podcast, and we hope that it becomes a regular feature here at NLSC.

The podcasts will also be up much sooner after being recorded starting with #2, so we won’t be falling behind on news by the time they’re posted.

Hope you like it guys!
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Nick on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Podcast? Good idea!

First episode was cool. I like hearing you guys banter around. :) 40 mins is a little long, but i learned heaps of stuff about 2k13 i didn't know before.
Is it possible to somehow include links that refer to the things you guys are talking about? (i.e. 2k13 game footage etc)
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Good suggestion, we could try to do that in future episodes. In the meantime, the NBA 2K13 news category should help you out with the latest impressions articles and videos:
http://www.nba-live.com/category/nba-2k13/

Length is something we've discussed and will probably experiment with for a bit. We don't want it to be so short that we can't have some good discussion, especially when there are three or four of us in there on future shows, but we don't want it to be too long winded either. A lot of the podcasts I listen to are an hour or longer so 40 minutes seems fine to me, but definitely let us know what you feel is a good length and we'll keep it in mind as we tweak the show, it's handy to know. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dc311 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 pm

I enjoyed it.As far as length goes.I think 40 to 45 minutes is fine Compared to many other podcast that I have heard before,40 minutes is really short.Good job Jao ad Leftos.
Dc311
"F@*K YOU WHALE!!!F@*K YOU DOLPHIN!!!"
Contributor

Postby Leftos on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone, glad you liked it. There are ways to make an enhanced podcast that includes chapters, graphics, and links, and we will be discussing them. We're still experimenting with what we want to do, but the first thing we wanted to make sure is that you enjoy listening to it. We are only going to improve, I promise you that. :P

As for length, I don't think 40 minutes is that long. Most of the podcasts I listen to are 50m-1h30m long, so I think the 40m mark we got to made for a pretty short podcast. Trust me, there were a lot of things we didn't go over. Besides, I like my weekly podcasts being long, because I listen to them on the road, and most podcast-compatible players allow you to resume from where you left off on the track; the more I get to hear, the better. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, keep the feedback coming guys! We need all the suggestions we can get!

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Kenny on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Really good first episode I thought. I think the length is pretty much perfect; it's not too long that you really have to commit to it, but it's also long enough to have a lot of information in there as well. As for a suggestion, for a future podcast, I'd like to hear the teams you'd be interested in starting an association/dynasty with in the 13 games.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby imaiden on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Good stuff guys, I've listened to it, I like it, agree with most of your points and like people said, I too feel u2 have nice chemistry...Hopefully 2k will listen as well and adress the issues you mention in your podcast. Will keep following it!
imaiden

Postby Leftos on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 pm

badreligionau, that's actually a really nice subject to discuss, along with our favorite game modes in past years and why.

imaiden and everyone else, appreciate the good words. Spread the word about the podcast!

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 pm

My and Nick's thought waves are in the same frequency. Too long for me.

Don't make it longer than 30-45 minutes.

Most TV shows don't last longer than that, why should I spend more time listening to some guy who doesn't drink beer and another guy from a place with almost a non-existent economy.

If you're going to add people maybe an hour to 1 hr 30 mins. will do.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Leftos on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm

shadowgrin, we're planning on 4 of us being there as often as possible (Andrew, Pdub, JaoSming and me), so there's going to be a lot of opinions to go through.

Besides, you're not forced to listen to the podcast in one sitting. I usually listen to my favorite podcasts on the road, pausing them when I'm at home to resume them afterwards.

And you should listen to us because you love us, deep down inside.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Leftos wrote:Besides, you're not forced to listen to the podcast in one sitting. I usually listen to my favorite podcasts on the road, pausing them when I'm at home to resume them afterwards.

Your experiences may be different to other people.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Leftos on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 am

Hey, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that I enjoy long podcasts. We're taking everyone's opinion into consideration, and there's going to be a better flow as we progress.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 am

If you're going to go longer than 20-30 minutes and do these on a regular basis you need far more subjects to talk about than these crappy current gen basketball games.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 am

Leftos wrote:Hey, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that I enjoy long podcasts. We're taking everyone's opinion into consideration, and there's going to be a better flow as we progress.

Let's say there are five people that listen to such a podcast.

3 of those like long podcasts. 2 like short podcasts.

If you do a long podcast the 3 will enjoy it and will likely listen to future podcasts. The two might get bored at how long it is and more likely not listen to future podcasts.
You just lost some listeners with those two.

If you do a short podcasts the 2 will like it. The 3 will feel it's short BUT there's a greater possibility that they will listen to future podcasts because they crave for moar after left wanting from the previous short podcast.
You retain your listeners.

If you want to retain listeners going with a short podcast is preferable imo.
If you just enjoy chatting and listening to each other's voices without regard of retaining/gaining listeners then go with the long podcast.

As a listener the only decent reason imo for not liking listening to short podcasts is because there wasn't enough relevant information given out to go through in the podcast.
If that's the case then the length is not the problem but the presentation.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Leftos on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:50 am

@shadowgrin: Goal is to be as short as possible, including as much relevant information as we can. We're not trying to hit a specific duration, nor will we fill the rest of the podcast with boring stuff just to reach the minute mark we want.

It's our first experiences doing a podcast, so we may need some practice before we manage to stay interesting for the whole duration of it, keep it short and yet cover all subjects.

We hope to get there soon.

@benji: We will be discussing various other subjects. It's the current period that every year has everybody excited about the new releases, so it's bound to take up a lot of the podcast's time. After release, that excitement is bound to die down slowly and give its place to modding, like it does every year. If, come mid-October, we're still doing the Podcast, which we seriously hope, we'll have plenty of other stuff to talk about. Whether you'll be interested enough or not, remains to be seen.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 am

I wasn't talking about just this episode.
benji

Postby Leftos on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 am

Nor was I.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 am

Sorry then, I got the impression it was only going to talk about NBA Live, NBA 2K and the NLSC.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:19 am

Leftos wrote:It's our first experiences doing a podcast, so we may need some practice before we manage to stay interesting for the whole duration of it, keep it short and yet cover all subjects.

No, don't practice (as in doing a rehearsal). The banter or conversation would be more interesting without practice, more natural that way.

For future podcasts I think a guy who can move the discussion along would help to keep it moving when guys are having too much fun conversing.
Something like what Ernie Johnson does smoothly with the TNT crew when they seem to be having fun clowning around.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Leftos on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 am

No, we're not rehearsing. When I say practice, I mean it's going to take a few podcasts to get there. You're going to have to stick with us during the first rough ones. :P

And yes, we're already planning on having someone direct the conversation and move it along, especially when there's 3 or more of us.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Kieran on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 pm

That was cool. A novel idea for the forum, the fact that it's alot of NLSC related content is exciting.

Time wasn't too long, just right I say. Perfect for listening to while driving to/from work (or in my case today stuck waiting in an airport).
Kieran

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard