[46-36]History in the Making ※ Playoffs Preview!

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Postby Valor on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 am

Monthly Recap: January 2012
Part Two: Around the Association

Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [21-12]History in the Making ※ January Recap Part One

Postby Valor on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18 am

Lamrock wrote:Your backcourt is awesome. (Y)

On one side of the floor they are unstoppable, on the otherside of the floor they can't stop anybody :lol: :lol:

SuperHueyNewton wrote:I like the originality of this story, A.I. too

Thanks for the support man, much appreciated :)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [30-19]History in the Making ※ January Recap Part Two

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 am

Nice win column but it looks like the East is actually a little stronger, pretty puzzling to me actually
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Valor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Part Three: Rookie Ladder

Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [30-19]History in the Making ※ January Recap Part Two

Postby Valor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm

SuperHueyNewton wrote:Nice win column but it looks like the East is actually a little stronger, pretty puzzling to me actually

Cheers, definitely doing a lot better than last season but defense is starting to look a bit dodgy due to the small backcourt, dunno if the winning record can keep up soon :?
Milwaukee has been a surprise in the East, and didn't expect the Nets and Hawks to be winning that much either...on the flip side, it's just crazy that the Spurs are playing that bad lol
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [30-19]History in the Making ※ January Recap: Rookie Lad

Postby Lamrock on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:46 am

Love the Rookie Reports. I'd say Irving has a really good shot at winning RotY. Does Barnes come off the bench? Is he a 6MotY candidate?
Lamrock

Postby Valor on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Part Four: Race to the MVP
At the midway point, it's looking like a two man race between Bryant and Rose

Race to the MVP: Midseason awards edition
By Adrian Nelson, NBA.com
Posted Jan 31 2012 11:17PM

Within the blink of an eye, here we are again at the midway point of the NBA Season, and this is just the perfect time to present to you the individul accolades for the first half of the season. Of course, they don't actually exist, but this will give you all an idea of who's dominating so far in this 2011-12 season.

Most Valuable Player: Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
As you'll read on later in our rankings below, D-Rose has been playing like a man possessed this season, seemingly having perfected his game in just his 4th NBA season. If he keeps up this pace and the Bulls keep winning, even the reigning MVP Kobe Bryant won't be able to take this award from him at the end of the season.

Rookie of the Year: Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves
While Kyrie Irving will give Rubio a run for his money and Harrison Barnes has been great as of late, don't be surprised if the Spanish phenom takes home the trophy at the end of the season. Rubio would be advised to find himself a shooting coach at the end of the season though, as of now him passing off the backboard to the basket might be a better way to score as opposed to his shot, which is horrendous to say the least.

Coach of the Year: Tyrone Corbin, Utah Jazz
With his best players being Al Jefferson and Devin Harris, what Tyrone Corbin has done with the Jazz is simply amazing. Utah is currently 4th in the West and definitely overachieving. Larry Brown deserves some love for what he's been able to do with the Panthers as well.

Sixth Man: JJ Hickson, Cleveland Cavaliers
He's been involved in trade rumors all year long, but there's no denying what JJ Hickson has brought to the table for the Cavaliers off the bench. Averaging a career high 14 and 8, Hickson brings a combination of energy and offensive output that few has in the second five. Lamar Odom of the Lakers and Gilbert Arenas of the Magic might have something to say about the award at years' end though.

Defensive Player of the Year: Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks
Joe Johnson hit a wall in January and couldn't find the bucket, but Atlanta was still able to maintain their winning ways and keep their 3rd seed in the Eastern Conference Standings due to the defensive dominance of Josh Smith, who is doing everything right now for the Hawks. Omer Asik and Lebron James are both legitimate contenders for the honor as well.

Most Improved Player: JJ Barea, Los Angeles Lakers
The Lakers took a gamble and added JJ Barea to replace the retired Derek Fisher as their starting point guard, and it's sure paid off big time as Barea has tripled his scoring output and added 5 more assists per game than last season, making him a solid contributor next to Kobe in the Lakers backcourt. Other contenders for the award would be the Panthers' Omer Asik, Nuggets point Ty Lawson, as well as Sixers center Spencer Hawes.

First Team All NBA
C - Dwight Howard, Magic
F - Carmelo Anthony, Knicks
F - LeBron James, Heat
G - Kobe Bryant, Lakers
G - Derrick Rose, Bulls

Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [30-19]History in the Making ※ January Recap: Rookie Lad

Postby Valor on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Lamrock wrote:Love the Rookie Reports. I'd say Irving has a really good shot at winning RotY. Does Barnes come off the bench? Is he a 6MotY candidate?

Cheers, I think Irving will shake off the slack soon and give Rubio a serious run at the end, wouldn't be surprised if either one won it (Y) Barnes does come off my bench and has taken over from Sefolosha as the Sixth man of the team, but still pales in comparison to the other candidates for the award for now. :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [30-19]History in the Making ※ Race to the MVP: January

Postby Justine. on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:08 am

Wow at Iverson's numbers, he's shooting % is pretty low though. Yi! :)
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby Valor on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:40 am

Wall, Irving, Rubio headlines 2012 Rookie Challenge

NEW YORK, Feb. 3, 2012 -- Reigning Rookie of the Year John Wall of the Washington Wizards, the Cleveland Cavaliers' Kyrie Irving, the No. 1 overall selection in the 2011 NBA Draft, and Minnesota Timberwolves rookie sensation Ricky Rubio, lead a list of 20 players selected for the 2012 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge to be held on All Star Friday during this year's NBA All-Star Weekend in Orlando.

Joining Wall from the Sophomore class are: Evan Turner (Philadelphia), Blake Griffin (LA Clippers), Ed Davis (Toronto), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento), Armon Johnson (Portland), Wesley Johnson (Oklahoma City), Al-Farouq Aminu (LA Clippers), Larry Sanders (Milwaukee), and Omer Asik (New Zealand).

Irving and Rubio are joined by fellow first-year players Harrison Barnes (New Zealand), Perry Jones (Washington), Jonas Valanciunas (Cleveland), Brandon Knight (Sacramento), William Buford (Indiana), Kris Joseph (Utah), Enes Kanter (Phoenix), and Mike Benson (New Orleans).

The participants in the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge were selected by the NBA's assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot.

Last year in Los Angeles, the Sophomore squad edged out the Rookie team in a tightly contested game, 119-108. Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors took home Most Valuable Player honors after talling 22 points and 9 assists.

Below are the rosters for the 2012 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam.

All Star Rosters Set, Panthers' Yi, Iverson makes history

NEW YORK, Feb. 4, 2012 -- The second year franchise Panthers have been turning heads and changing opinions all season long, so it's only appropriate that they were honored with having not one, but two players named to the 2012 NBA All Star Game, the first time in franchise history.

Thus, the 12th time All-Star Allen Iverson will make Panthers history on All-Star Sunday in Orlando alongside first time All-Star Yi Jianlian as the first ever All Stars for the New Zealand Panthers franchise.

Joining Yi and Iverson on the West reserves are second time selections Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and Golden State Warriors' Monta Ellis; followed by 3 other first timers in Emeka Okafor (New Orleans), Tyreke Evans (Sacramento), and Terrence Williams (Houston). Okafor was selected by commissioner David Stern as an injury replacement for voted-starter Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets, who will not participate due to a broken finger.

Kobe Bryant of the Lakers, Chris Paul of the Hornets, Kevin Durant of the Thunder, and the Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki will be joined by first time All-Star Andrew Bynum (LA Lakers) in the starting lineup of the Western Conference All-Stars.

Meanwhile for the East, first timer Brook Lopez of the New Jersey Nets will be joining a very similar East bench that features second time All-Stars John Wall of the Wizards, Stephen Jackson of the Bucs, Andre Iguodala of the Sixers, and Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks. Also on the East reserves are 7 time All Star Amare Stoudemire of the New York Knicks, and Lopez's teammate, 3 time All Star guard Deron Williams.

Dwight Howard of the hosting Orlando Magic leads a pack of Perennial All-Stars in the East starting lineup that features five time All Star Carmelo Anthony of the Knicks, 8 time All Star LeBron James of the Miami Heat, 7 time All Star Dwyane Wade of the Heat, and three time All Star Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls.

The 2012 NBA All-Star Game will air live on TNT and ESPN Radio in the U.S. and reach fans in more than 200 countries and territories in more than 40 languages.

Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [30-19]History in the Making ※ Race to the MVP: January

Postby Valor on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 am

Justine. wrote:Wow at Iverson's numbers, he's shooting % is pretty low though. Yi! :)

He is, mainly attributed to the fact that he was basically the first second and third option earlier in the season when Yi was slumping prior to the arrival of Stevie Nashty :wink: Since then Yi's been great! (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Valor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 am

Chapter 8

For every team around the league that isn't undefeated, February 16th 2012 is an important date. It is the trade deadline of the 2011-12 season and the last chance for teams to make big changes to their lineups in preparation for the second half of the season. The half where some calls the "real" season.

In the case of the New Zealand Panthers, that is no different. Despite making big time roster moves all season long, with the latest being the acquisition of Steve Nash back in late December. Despite that, however, the Panthers haven't exactly been great. Sure they've dominanted the weaker opponents, but more often recently, they've been losing a lot to playoff caliber teams, and is looking more like a team contending for the 8th spot more than their current 3rd seed in the conference. Something has to be done and the owner Leo Lai hasn't exactly been shy about gunning for deals.

✧✧✧✧✧

"Play that again" Lai said as he spat out the old piece of gum to the trash can before putting a fresh piece in, watching intently at the screen.
"See that there? We have a problem covering this and that's been a big issue" Larry Brown paused the tape and scribbled something onto the touchscreen monitor. When it comes to basketball related technology, Lai isn't hesitent to spend to ensure that the best equipment is used.
After watching the rest of the tape for another two, three times, Brown looked at the clock and stopped the screen. "Alright guys, we got a game tonight so get some rest and I'll see you at the arena later. Dismissed"
As the guys got up, stretched, yawned and filed out of the room, Lai turned to Brown and motioned for him to go to his office, afterall, the trade deadline was tomorrow and they need to get working. On their way out, however, he notices there was one player left in the room, walking towards him. It was Steve Nash.
"What's up, Steve? Not heading home yet? We need you for tonight's game man, you should get some rest" Lai asked as he turned towards Nash
"I got a meeting with you today, remember?" Nash said
"It was today? Oh christ I'm sorry Steve, completely forgot about it" Lai smacked himself on the head as he took a quick thought, "Alright, I guess you should be in this meeting as well." He turned to Larry Brown, "Let's go Larry"

Once in the comforts of his office, Lai motioned for his secretary to pour them some coffee, and sat down. It was a plush office, but there was no time to relax. They had work to do.

"So, Steve, how can I help you" Lai asked as he took the cup of coffee from his secretary Michelle.
"Well, I've only been here for one and a half months or so, but this is a really professional organization, everyone's really good around here and stuff, I just want to say thanks for making me a part of the Panthers organization." Nash said
"You're welcome! We are glad to have you here as well" Lai replied
"The thing is, if you are willing, I want to extend my contract immediately."
The words "yes, let's do that" stopped the moment Lai was about to say them, and there was an awkward silence in the room.
"...is there a problem, sir?" Nash asked, breaking the silence.
Lai took a deep breath, and sighed
"Steve," Lai said, looking solemnly at Nash, "I got a question for you"
Nash raised his eyebrows, puzzled but waited for it,
"Do you think with this group of guys, we can win the title?"
"Well, we don't know unless we try..." Nash began to answer, but was cut off
"Steve? Do you think we can win a title with this group?" Lai asked again, a little more firmly than before,
"...No, I don't" Nash finally admitted, "But I'm sure we can improve as a whole and be a real contender in a few seasons!"
"Steve, you are 38 years old, Allen's 36, and you guys have 16 years of NBA millage on your legs, I don't think we can afford to talk about maybes in 3, 4 seasons time." Lai stated
"I don't want to waste away the last years of your career, or Allen's for that matter. I want to win as badly as any of you, and we gotta be smart about doing that. Being blindfully optimistic isn't going to help." Lai concluded,
"So you are saying you're not going to extend me right now because we won't win it all?"
"Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Look, lets play out the season, see what happens and then decide what happens, ok?"
"I could live with that, but you're not worried that I might leave?" Nash asked
"Steve, if you want to leave, that's your wish, and I'll respect that." Lai replied, "Anyhow, lets look at the present. The reason why I called you in here as well is that, as you know, the trade deadline is tomorrow"
"You want my opinion on potential deals?"
"Exactly. Now, What do you think about...Dwight Howard"
Both Nash and Larry Brown looked up immediately. Brown, who's mind had been wandering off while Lai and Nash were having their discussions, suddenly snapped back into the present.
"You are thinking big right there" Brown said
"Well, it's not just me, everybody in the league's asking for him, arn't they?"
"Can you get him?" Nash asked
"That'll depend if Orlando takes the offer..."

✧✧✧✧✧

The game against the Sixers went well, as Iguodala's potential game winner clanked off the rim badly at the buzzer, it was a 104-103 victory, but Lai wasn't concerned about it. In fact, he wasn't even in attendance, a rare sight considering he usually sits behind the team's bench with the other assistant coaches.

Of course, Lai was more concerned with making the roster tweaks. He even had dinner delivered to him instead of going out to dine. Being on the phone all day is nerve-wreaking, especially since Orlando is asking for half your roster in exchange for one man, Dwight Howard.

"Sir, Mr Forman of the Bulls is on line two" Lai's secretary, Michelle said as Lai picked up the phone yet again, the first time, however, listening to a call instead of making one.
"Gar, how are you doing?"
"I'm good, yourself?"
"Good, good, so how can I help you?"
"Noah's a bit hurt so I need some help up at the five spot"
"Well, you're not getting Omer back, so I'm guessing you want Kwame?" Lai said as he took a took at the Bulls roster on the big board.
"Yeah, he's at least better than Alexis Ajinca, I don't even know why I traded you Omer" Forman remarked,
"Hey don't complain now, you got Stuckey from Detroit and he's been pretty good for you" Lai said, "So, Kwame huh? I want either Taj or Ronnie Brewer for him"
"That's highway robbery Leo, come on now."
"It was worth a shot, well, who you got in mind?"
"What about Kyle?"
"Korver? He's averaging what, 1.5 points this season? Plus he's got another 10 million dollars on his contract. No way"
"He's still a good shooter" Forman said, "Come on, I need to get that salary off the books or Jerry's gonna make me trade Noah and Deng for picks just to get under the tax rate"
"That bad?" Lai chuckled, "Well, I want some picks with him"
"I can give you your second rounder back" Forman offered,
"Throw in your first rounder too and we'll call it a deal" Lai countered
"Kwame for two picks and Korver? You're crazy"
"You need a decent backup at center more than I need a wing man buddy, losing salary space and getting better for a championship run? I almost feel like I'm getting robbed."
"....Alright, but you gotta give us B-Scal as well" Forman finally said after a moment of silence, "Thibs wants him back to help teach his system"
"Cool, lets get the papers drawed up, we got ourselves a deal" Lai said as he hung up the phone, clenching his fists and celebrated for a moment. It was good to get a win, but this was nothing. Lai drank up the rest of his coffee and got back to the board once again.

To win the title this season, he must strike a deal with the Orlando Magic.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [34-23]History in the Making ※ Chapter 8!!

Postby Woogie98 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:37 am

Dwight??
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Martti. on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:57 am

Seeing as what Orlando actually got for Dwight, robbing them a bit in this reality isn't too bad.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Valor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Woogie98 wrote:Dwight??

If I could get him, instant title contender for sure...problem is actually doing it :lol: :lol:

Martti. wrote:Seeing as what Orlando actually got for Dwight, robbing them a bit in this reality isn't too bad.

Virtual Rob Hennigan is smarter than his real life counterpart so far :wink: I'll see what I can do though
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Valor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Grading the Deals: NBA Trade Deadline 2012
Feb 16th, 2012 09:56 PM EST

Historically speaking, the NBA trade deadline is usually a hectic one, with a million rumors flying around and a few handfuls of deals being done. This year was, of course, no exception, as blockbuster trades, not-so blockbuster trades, free agent signings, coaching changes, and contract extensions happened within the span of the last 48 hours, leading to this annual big recap of who went where and what on earth happened. It is interesting to note that, there is a very interesting situation as this year's deadline is before the All-Star weekend, which means perhaps for the first time ever, we will have some of the All-Stars being in the "wrong team" so to speak as they got traded across the conference prior to the game. Weird situations, wild surprises, what a perfect way to start the second half of the season.

Without further ado, here are our grades of the parties involved in all those deals (and non-deal) in the second most exciting time (behind the playoffs, naturally) of the NBA season.

Bulls Trade Ronnie Brewer and Alexis Ajinca to the Pacers for James Posey and Dahntay Jones

We are kind to our readers so lets start with the easier ones rather than bomb you with the hardcore stuff from the get-go.

Ronnie Brewer had been complaining about a lack of playing time behind this season's new addition Rodney Stuckey, and he was becoming expendable anyways so Chicago went ahead and traded him, along with six fouls in Ajinca for two defensive minded veteran wing players that Thibs would be ecstatic to have on the roster.

At 17-36, the Pacers were not going anywhere this season, so they now add a relatvie young piece in Brewer, who's athletic, can shoot a bit, and is a good defender. This is a win-win situation for both teams, but nothing fancy.

Grade for Bulls: B+
Grade for Pacers: B+

Panthers Trade Kwame Brown and Brian Scalabrine to the Bulls for Kyle Korver, the Panthers' 2012 second round pick, and the Bulls' 2012 first round pick

Again, another minor move by the league best Bulls (41-14) as they continue to tweak their roster to prepare for a title run this postseason. By trading away Korver alongside picks that they really don't need, the Bulls were able to acquire a solid 7 footer to hold down the fort when Noah needs a breather. Yes Kwame Brown's still a bust as a number 1 overall player, but he's been solid as a role player over his career, and will serve them well in his limited role.

For the Panthers, Kyle Korver is still a good shooter, but he had become expendible when Chicago acquired Jones and Posey. He has 10 million dollars over two years left on his contract and was hardly playing this season, averaging a career-low 1.5 points in 3.9 minutes per game over 55 contests. What's more valuable to them is the acquisiton of those two draft picks, one of them their own that they traded away on draft night in the four team deal that brought them Omer Asik. The Panthers had no draft picks until this point and in a relatively deep class, they could prove to be valuable assets, no matter how low they will be.

Grade for Bulls: B+
Grade for Panthers: B

Hornets Trade Chris Paul and Xavier Henry to the Clippers for Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu and Chris Kaman

We hope you were ready, but if not, here it is anyways. The highlight of the evening - CP3 finally saying goodbye to the city of New Orleans after a whole season of wanting out, and now finds himself in the bright lights of Los Angeles, only that it's the Clippers and not their more successful cotenant at the Staples Center.

After spending months listening to offers and exploring their options, the Hornets management finally decided to take the offer presented by the Clippers, who offered them the valuable rebuilding assets in youth (Eric Gordon and Aminu) and cap relief (Chris Kaman). While New Orleans isn't completely out of the playoff race at 28-26, Paul didn't want to be there from the start of training camp and it was time to have a fresh start. Expect them to kind of tank the rest of the season in order to get a high draft pick.

For the Clippers (29-23), this immediately puts them in contention for the top 4 seeds in the Western Conference. With Paul leading the way, the frontcourt dynamic duo of Rudy Gay and Blake Griffin are going to score at a much more efficient pace and at a higher clip. Paul is also an excellent defender, with quick hands and feet that'll certainly turn opponent possessions into a lob-fest on the other side of the floor.

Although Paul didn't end up going to a more storied franchise such as the Knicks or Lakers, he still got his wish and left New Orleans, and went to a team that will be ready for contention with just one or two more pieces. Plus he's still going to be in one of the largest markets in Los Angeles. He might have to endure Clippers' punchlines, but my guess is he's ok with that.

Grade for Hornets: B+
Grade for Clippers: A
Grade for Paul: A-

Hornets Trade David West to the New Jersey Nets for Travis Outlaw and Tyler Honeycutt

After trading their franchise player away, the Hornets figured they might as well just purge the roster and start over completely from scratch, which isn't exactly a bad idea, but when you give up a two time All Star in David West for just Travis Outlaw and rookie benchwarmer Tyler Honeycutt, there is a problem.

The Nets obviously win this one by far, and it's not even close. David West, with his deadly 17 foot jumper, is a perfect complement to Brook Lopez, one of the few centers in the game who is most comfortable scoring in the low post with back to the basket moves. Adding on the fact that West can continue his infinite amount of pick-and-pop plays with yet another great point guard in Deron Williams makes this trade seem more lopsided than it really is.

Grade for Hornets: C-
Grade for Nets: A

Hornets Trade Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to the Washington Wizards for Rashard Lewis and the Wizards' 2012 2nd round pick

And so the purging continues. Don't worry, this is the last one they make...before the offseason that is. Remember how I said there will be All-Stars playing for the opposite conference because they got traded? Well, Emeka Okafor is one of them. What a way to have your first All-Star appearance than to play for the wrong team?

New Orleans continues to stack up the assets for a complete rebuilding effort. At least they are being consistent about it. Lewis has the most overinflated contract in the entire league, with $46 million dollars and two years left on his deal, he'll probably be lift up some of that scoring load left behind by Paul and West the rest of this season, and will become a very valuable trade chip with a 20+ million dollar expiring contract next season. An extra pick never hurts, and a second round pick from the 20-37 Wizards is basically a late first-rounder.

The Wizards, on the otherhand, also reap the benefits of this deal, as they get rid of Lewis and really hand the keys to reigning rookie of the year John Wall. Okafor, again, is an All-Star this season alongside his new teammate in Wall, and Trevor Ariza is another young, athletic defender that will help install a defensive mindset into the nation's capital.

Grade for Hornets: B-
Grade for Wizards: A-

Wizards Trade JaVale McGee, Nick Young, Chris Duhon, and Andray Blatche to the Nuggets for Nene, Andre Miller, and Al Harrington

Part of getting better is addition by subtraction, and the Wizards did exactly that by getting rid of perhaps the biggest bonehead in the history of the NBA in JaVale McGee. McGee is a athletic beast, but his head needs to be screwed on straight and that responsibility now lands on Denver's George Karl instead. God praise his soul.

Wizards send away a lot of talent here, but also get a lot back in the form of Nene. The big solid center will always give you somewhere around 12 points and 10 rebounds a game, he scores, rebounds, clogs the paint well, and will form a formitable low post duo with Emeka Okafor. Andre Miller should be a good veteran guid for Sophomore John Wall, and Harrington would provide some valued bench scoring.

For the Nuggets, if George Karl can snap the heads of McGee, Young, and Blatche on straight, then they wouldn't really have lost out in this deal, seeing as that's a whole load of talent. Again, I really feel for Coach Karl's right now. The man has a tough job, to say the least.

Grade for Wizards: B
Grade for Nuggets: B-

Warriors Trade Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Ekpe Udoh to the Bucks for Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson

The Warriors and Bucks exchanged problematic situations in a five-player trade where Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson are heading to Golden State for Monta Ellis, Ekpe Udoh and Andris Biedrins.

Experts and fans of both sides are somewhat bewildered by how the trade truly benefits John Hammond and Joe Lacob. It is a classic NBA blockbuster trade made by two teams without a top-20 player that won’t put either of them into the top-eight of the NBA.

All of those wonders aside, both teams really didn't gain or lose much here in terms of value or overall impact. The Warriors traded offense for defense and the Bucks got offense for defense. If it sounds confusing, it's probably 'cause it is. The two teams completely change their identity in the process, but Milwaukee clearly loses out here. Scott Skiles preaches defense, good luck preaching that to Monta Ellis.

Grade for Warriors: C+
Grade for Bucks: C-

Warriors Trade Stephen Jackson to the Spurs for Richard Jefferson and the Spurs' 2013 2nd round pick

Stephen Jackson never even got on a taxi to the airport before he was traded yet again by his new/old team. The Warriors was going on a solid direction towards building for the future, and Jackson's erratic behaviour doesn't really fit the bill.

San Antonio, however, would love to have a bit of that spark from Jackson as even the great Gregg Popovich has ran out of solutions for the unexplained slump by the San Antonio Spurs, who have been egregious thus far this season at 23-32. They are still just 6 games behind the 8th seeded Rockets, but it's going to take a complete turn around for them to have a chance of cracking the postseason.

Grade for Warriors: C+
Grade for Spurs: C+

Spurs Trade Chris Andersen and Gary Neal to the Mavericks for Jared Dudley and Eddy Curry

Again, the Spurs are trying everything to save their season from crashing into the depths of hell. While this isn't exactly a homerun tyle deal, it is a solid one that'll boaster the Spurs chances of getting back into the playoff picture. Neal was't really getting minutes with the guard spots being so stacked and Jared Dudley is going to fit right into the vacant three spot left behind by Jefferson. He can defend, he can knock down threes. A great presence in the team.

The Mavericks didn't have much to lose here, they didn't really need Dudley with Marion and Brewer at the three, and Neal would be insurance in case one of the older guards go down (Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Vince Carter). No harm in getting a better defensive big in Chris Andersen for Eddy Curry either.

Grade for Spurs: B-
Grade for Mavericks: B

The Dwight Howard Trade that never happened

Even more so than CP3, Dwight Howard was the subject of trade rumors all season long, and it is really a surprise, more than any of the deals above, that Dwightmare hasn't ended in Orlando. Despite a number of reported talks with numerous teams such as the Nets, Lakers, Bulls, Rockets, Knicks, and Panthers, the Magic apparently decided to stay put and test their chances in the offseason and see if they could convince the three time NBA Defensive Player of the Year to stay with the Orlando Magic.

In my estimation, they got pretty much no shot at retaining him, and now probably will lose some value, if not all of the any possible assets they could've gotten back for Howard if he decides to walk at season's end.

Grade for Magic: D
Grade for Howard: B

Miscellaneous Transactions

- Tim Duncan signs with Spurs for 1 yr/$12.76M extension with $13.92M player option

- Pacers sign G Delonte West for 1 yr/$5.76M

- Clippers sign C Nazr Mohammed to 1 yr/$480K deal

- Suns (12-41)Fire Head Coach Alvin Gentry, Hires Byron Scott

*Note: As some of you may notice, a few of those trades mirror real life events. I orchestrated those ones who were plausible and made sense even in this virtual reality just to allow for a sense of realism to it. :)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [34-23]History in the Making ※ Trade Deadline Report

Postby Its_asdf on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:33 am

There is a lot of detail in this, especially with all of the write-ups. I can empathize with the amount of work that can take to come up with original things to write about. Much respect to that!
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Woogie98 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 am

Was looking forward to see a Nash,Iverson,Howard type line-up
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby Lamrock on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 am

Glad to see the real life deadline deals being made. Shame you weren't able to upgrade your roster, but we'll see what they can do.
Lamrock

Postby Valor on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Its_asdf wrote:There is a lot of detail in this, especially with all of the write-ups. I can empathize with the amount of work that can take to come up with original things to write about. Much respect to that!

Thanks for the praise buddy, it is a tedious effort writing these all up but that's part of the fun too :)

Woogie98 wrote:Was looking forward to see a Nash,Iverson,Howard type line-up

Yeah that was my original plan but Orlando didn't bite :?

Lamrock wrote:Glad to see the real life deadline deals being made. Shame you weren't able to upgrade your roster, but we'll see what they can do.

Cheers Lamrock, yep I think it should be solid for now, but unless Omer learns to catch the ball I don't think this team can go all the way, just too little post play on the offensive end unfortunately :|
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Valor on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Wall, Griffin Dominates as Sophomores Top Rooks
Game Story | Box Score | Team Stats | Player of the Game

While Blake had a lot of dunks, DeMarcus Cousins had the best one

Orlando, FL -- Anytime you have an All-Star on your roster and your opponents don't, chances are you are probably going to win.

That was exactly the case for the Sophomore squad Friday night in the annual T-Mobile Rookie Challenge.

Led by the second time All-Star John Wall and Clippers' high flying Blake Griffin, the Sophomores held off a valiant effort from the rookie squad en-route to a 116-107 victory, extending the Sophomore steak to two.

Wall took home MVP honors after dropping 28 points and dishing out 9 assists in the win, while Blake Griffin, who had 33 points and 17 rebounds in their loss in last year's game against Stephen Curry and Tyreke Evans, finished with 23 points and 11 rebounds, putting up highlight dunks at every turn.

However, it wasn't all smooth sailing for the Sophomores, as the Rookie squad, led by Rookie of the Year favorite Ricky Rubio and the New Zealand Panthers' scoring machine Harrison Barnes put up a solid fight.

Rubio finished with just 8 points but showed off his court vision by dishing out 13 assists, while Harrison Barnes went 12 for 21 from the field for a game-high 32 points. Number 1 overall pick Kyrie Irving, however, had a bad night shooting from the field as he went 4 for 16 and finished with 16 points.

"It's on me, I just wasn't good enough tonight" said Irving, "Lucky this doesn't count towards the season but still, you never want to lose any game"

The Sophomore team, on the other hand, had a different take.

"They definitely have potential to be very good players, all of them" Wall said, "They showed it tonight, gave us a hell of a fight"

"It's just an exhibition game though so I'd chill a bit if I was him" added Griffin when asked about Irving's comments

The Sophomore team, who also won last year's contest 119-108, now extends their all-time record on the Rookies to 10-3.

Game Highlights

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Rookie Challenge MVP Highlights
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [34-23]History in the Making ※ 2012 Rookie Challenge!

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 am

Slam, slam, slam... Uh theres another slam. Need i say more?
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Ourumow on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Pretty close game, did you play it? Must have been fun
Ourumow

Postby Valor on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:06 pm

SuperHueyNewton wrote:Slam, slam, slam... Uh theres another slam. Need i say more?

Haha yeah, typical all star event :wink:

Ourumow wrote:Pretty close game, did you play it? Must have been fun

Na, I usually just watch and maybe make a few subs here and there to balance out playing time during ASW games. It was fun to watch though (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Valor on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Bryant, Durant shines as West tops East in Nail-Biter
Game Story | Box Score | Team Stats | Player of the Game

Durant flipped the switch in the fourth and led the West to victory

Orlando, FL -- Throughout the years, the NBA All Star game has resembled more like a Harlem Globetrotters game rather than a NBA game with their often non-existant defense and bunch of highlight reel plays.

It was a little different tonight.

Led by Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant, the Western Conference All Stars barely edged out the East squad 121-119, in a tightly contested, defensive minded battle that included plenty of hard fouls, smack talk, and a true basketball intensity felt by all of the 17,125 fans in attendance at the Amway Center.

Even the relatively low (for All Star Game standards) final score didn't tell the whole tale, as every point was earned by each player on both squads.

Bryant led the way with 21 points, breaking Michael Jordan's all time All Star Game scoring record of 262. He now leads the pack of All Stars with 265 points scored.

On his way to passing Jordan in the record books, Kobe also passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Oscar Robertson — who had 251 points and 246 points, respectively.
Kobe’s career-high in the All-Star game came last year when he scored 37 points. He also had 31 points in 2002 and 31 points in 2007. He’s been an All-Star every season other than his rookie campaign.

Durant, on the otherhand, started the night roughly as he was bothered by the physical defense from LeBron James, but managed to find his stroke in the fourth quarter when the West needed him the most. He had 11 of his 15 points in that final period and played some great defense that included an All Star Game career high 4 blocks enroute to the West victory and MVP honors.

"It was fun," Durant said. "That's the type of All-Star game you want to see."

On the otherside of the spectrum, Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls led the East with 25 points and 7 assists in the losing effort. Dwyane Wade of the Heat added 20 and Knicks' forward Carmelo Anthony dropped 21; But it wouldn't be enough as Melo's potential game winning 3 pointer harmlessly bounced off the rim as time expired.

It was also a strange disappearance from the two time All Star Game MVP LeBron James, who went 6 for 17 from the field and finsihed with a measly 13 points and 4 rebounds in 30 minutes of play.

"It just wasn't my night" James said. "I played some good defense but the shots just didn't fall"

Even more surprising than James, however, would be the host Dwight Howard. The Magic center only attempted 3 field goals in the entire game, and finished with just 7 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks in a highly anticipated matchup against up and coming Laker center Andrew Bynum on his home floor.

Despite requesting a trade earlier in the season, Howard was not dealt by the Magic on the trade deadline and sources have said that he has contemplated changing his mind and not opting out at the end of this season after the huge standing ovation given by the crowd during player introductions.

On a happier note, Allen Iverson of the Panthers was all smiles as he checked into the game halfway through the first quarter. Coming back into the league after a year spent in Turkey, the 12th time All Star managed to recapture his former MVP self, averaging over 27 points per game to lead his Panthers to a 34-23 record at the midway point of the season. He finished with 13 points (9 in the fourth quarter) on 6 of 11 shooting in just 18 minutes played.

"This could be my last one," Iverson said, "So I'm just trying to have fun and soak everything in"

It also marked the first All Star appearance for several other players. Brook Lopez of the Nets on the East, and 5 on the West that includes Bynum, Yi Jianlian, Emeka Okafor, Tyreke Evans, and Terrence Williams.

All the first timers said that it was a great, but exhausting experience, but for Emeka Okafor, it was more than that, as he was traded to the Washington Wizards at the deadline prior to the weekend and became one of the two players that played for the opposite conference in the All Star game due to a trade. The other being Monta Ellis of the West.

No one got as much attention as Chris Paul though, as the 5 time All-Star finally got his trade request granted and was dealt to the Clippers at the deadline, starting an avalanche of trades for the Hornets that eventually led to Okafor's departure from the team.

"I talked to Emaka and he understands it" Paul said, "At the end of the day it's business and if the team decides to trade him away as well, it's not up to me to say otherwise since I'm already part of another organization"

Paul had 11 points and 5 assists in his "first game as a Clipper". The Western Conference All Stars has now won two in a row.

Game Highlights

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

All Star Game MVP Highlights
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood