2003 Dunk Contest

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Should "The Wheel" be part of the 2003 Dunk Contest?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 23

2003 Dunk Contest

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:02 pm

Since All-Star voting is underway and preliminary results released, I thought I'd bring up another All-Star topic - the annual Slam Dunk Contest.

I thought the wheel was both good and bad in the 2002 Dunk Contest. On one hand, it added a new challenge, made up for any lack of creativity, and allowed us to see some of the great dunks. On the other hand, it took away the opportunity for a player to showcase a range of creative new dunks, placed players at a disadvantage (remember the whole "Jason Richardson is a two-foot leaper" and "Steve Francis can't palm a basketball" stories?).

I think how they had the contest in 2001 was perfect. I know they want to bring in something new every year, but how about taking something from the past - remember back in 1988 when MJ and Nique had their classic duel? Let's not get into the hometown judging and Nique was robbed arguments - I'm talking about the scoring. Three dunks for a total score out of 150, highest score wins. More chance of the contest coming down to one last dunk for a thrilling and spectacular conclusion. While we're at it, bring back the old format - no more of these brackets that they had last year, and have at least 6-8 players in the contest.

So my take is...no wheel, no brackets, a mix of the 1988 and 2000/2001 formats. The "with a teammate" dunk could perhaps be optional as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mana on Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:10 pm

I would take the old method over the crappy method with wheels any days. The old format would force the contestants to prefect their dunks and be much more careful on every dunks since every scores count. That would elimated the "oh i missed a dunk, don't worry i can always make it up with a better dunk to boost my avg". The old format of highest total scores format would elimated and filtered out all the average dunkers/dunkers should not even be in the contest. With every dunks counts and add up to the final scores, contestant would have to think/plan and practise hard just to prefect their dunks. Average dunkers/dunkers with low vertical wouldn't last the first round.

They took the method out and replace it in the 90's because the contest got worse every single year. The current method works with 6 players and most of them have average vertical. If the old method would have to bring back, the contest would be really ugly with every contestant doing crappy dunks. On the other hand, the contest itself will be a entirely different event if they bring back the top and best dunkers.

Do any of you think they should froce the winner of the current year contest to defent his title next year till he lost?

Hearing vince,tmac and kobe not entering because they afraid of losing to each other is just sad. Hell ! MJ, Wilkins and Drexler lost to Spudd Webb once and Wilkins beat MJ once and MJ beat him again. They really should defend their title or at least try to like D.Manson like last year. They can play in the post season, play 40+ mins a game but wouldn't do couple of dunks in the ASGW and they are earning multi millions per year.
Buddies down in the parks would pull couple of windmills for a show if I would just ask him nicely.

If players like Tmac, vince, kobe, j-rish and francis won't enter this year, i doubt anyone can pull over a total of 135 with three dunks with the old method except maybe G. Wallance.

What is a bad dunk contest if anyone ask? A bad one to me would be I can conclude the entire contest by just watching espn highlight. A good one like 2001 would make you watch it on tape again because you want to see those dunks again.
mana

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:22 pm

I think some of the top guys should enter it. These days, it seems as though most of the competitors are unknowns and young players trying to make a name for themselves. Not always a good thing. We all remember Harold Miner, two-time slam dunk champion, and out of the league because beyond dunks, he didn't bring much else to the table. I don't think guys should be forced to compete, but it'd be nice if some of the stars entered. I certainly think they should given an invitation and encouragement, but you can't really force them to enter.

You brought up a good point though, that the old method would probably expose a lack of creativity. Mind you, the wheel could make a player look just as foolish, if they aren't as athletic as the player who performed the original dunk. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who liked the old format though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mana on Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:41 pm

Most certainly it would be nice to see the best dunkers all enter and compete this year. I understand why they should not be froced to compete as you said early, they should be invited instead of force. But it come to me that playing basketball is their jobs and they are getting pay a ridculous amount of money. Many would argue they have their rights and freedom to choose whether to enter or not but keep in mind, ASGW is during the regular season, it's their jobs to play basketball through the entire season and they should be thankful because the fan vote for them. Given all the medis coverage, money and fame, i think they should be in the contest if selected. I wouldn't use the word force. Since it's already an event in ASGW, maybe fan should allow to vote for the stars they want to see in 3point shootout and dunk contest.

As a customer/fan point of view, i am in fact paying these players by buying games tickets, their shoes and accessories. If we selected them, they thereforce should be in the competition, no question ask simple as that.

Playing in the NBA is their jobs, in returns they are given fame and fortune, marketed as sport heros, appear on national tv, frontpage night in/out, have their own clothing and shoes. It IS THEIR responsiblities to play the games to entertain us the customers/fan.
mana

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:55 pm

I think it's about pride as well. Once, All-Star festivities were considered an honour and something of value. To be an All-Star was a compliment, now a lot of the top guys would rather skip the game usually to avoid the possibility of injury. Same with the dunk contest.

Magic and Isiah would use the All-Star contest to settle personal, friendly rivalries and put on a show. Today's stars view it as a chore (or at least some of them). Nique and MJ used to compete in the dunk contest for bragging rights, but today's stars see it as being below them (or so it seems).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bishibashiboy on Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:08 pm

I really hate that argument that players make about being in the dunk contest labels them as one-dimensional players. Look at Kobe, McGrady, Francis, Finley, Jon/Brent Barry (I always forget which one it was)..they all participated in this event and very few ppl call them one dimensional. If a player is talented and believes in themself, they should not be worried about this type of labelling. They shouldn't assume people are mindless fools that watch them once in a contest like this and assume that that's all they can do...rather they should prove that they're just as competitive in such an event as they are in a real NBA game.

Anyways, to get back on topic, I really hated the wheel from last year. Let's face it, the dunks on the wheel are picked from very talented dunkers that made spectacular moves in previous competitions. It's no guarantee that every player can do them. I just don't think the majority of players that enter the competition now are as talented and can do the same things the "legends" could. It's unfair to them because they're competiting against the best of the best dunks from the past, and imitating is much more difficult because no matter what, they will not look identical and one judge is bound to say the old one looks better, which skews the ratings. Steve Francis last year, if you can't palm the ball..what the hell do they expect you to do?..If J-Rich can't take off from the foul line then why make him look like a fool? I just wonder if they knew ahead of time about the dunks they MAY have to perform...
bishibashiboy

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:03 pm

Jon/Brent Barry (I always forget which one it was)

It was Brent Barry :D Jon is like father Rick, spectacular dunks are not his forte.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Chris Ma on Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:33 pm

talking about barry, i think he's great!

i mean white people seldom get the power and the strength to take off from the FT line (though he's one step inside the line) and dunk successfully..........

he's definitely not a one dimensional player...i love watching his game!
Chris Ma

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:41 pm

He's posting decent numbers this season, but he doesn't get much attention. Perhaps if he entered the dunk contest again he could grab some of the spotlight in Seattle.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby EGarrett on Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:48 am

Maybe they should try taking a cue from the Pool Trick Shot competitions that they air on ESPN2.

Those competitions are done like one-on-one HORSE...with the object being to be the first to score 15 points. Props are allowed. Players take turns leading. The leading player decides on and explains a shot then gets two tries at making it. The following player then gets two tries at the same shot. If one player makes and the other misses then the player who makes the shot scores a point. If both players make or both player miss then no one scores.

Here's how I'd apply those ideas to the dunk contest. Players match up in pairs and take turns leading. The lead player explains his dunk beforehand to the Ref, then gets two attempts at making it. The opponent then gets two attempts to complete the same dunk. If both players make or miss, no one scores. If one player makes and the other misses, then the player who made the dunk scores a point. At the end of a certain number of rounds (a round consisting of each player getting to dictate a dunk.) The player with the highest score wins it.

Two players would be on the court at each time...the two players who are on deck to compete get to spend their time loosening up and practicing away from cameras and onlookers in the arena's practice court (divided into two halves so they can't see each other of court) or on practice baskets set up somewhere in private. The other players can watch the contest until they are called to go practice.

The problem here is that dunking is largely dependent on physical ability so you may get mismatches. Perhaps we could introduce height divisions...6'4" and under...6'8" and under...and 6'9" and over? Either way, this might make the dunk contest more fun.
EGarrett

Postby Clinton on Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:33 pm

:?
Clinton

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:37 pm

That's an interesting idea, but again that's getting away from the traditional format, and really just replacing the wheel with another kind of disadvantage for diverse dunkers. I wouldn't introduced height divisions, as the whole idea was that each participant would pull something entertaining and impressive out of the bag eg. Spud Webb defeating Dominique and the other 6 foot plus high flyers in 1986.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby scubilete on Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:09 am

Man, the new methods suck. The old method of the 84-92 or 93 competition were the good ones for me. You would see those guys dunk one by one, without any rush, Ceballos would do it with his eyes covered, Dee Brown would do it covering his eyes with his arms, what I meant is now you don't have the time to appreciate the good dunks, like that competition of Dominique & MJ, or Spud Webb. Now they have to rush to make the dunks and that has taken away part of the fun. I really lost interest few years ago when they decided to give 1 minute to the players to make as many dunks so I don't know what has been in the last 2 or 3 years, but something I know is I prefer the old style than the one giving 1 minute to the players to make those dunks then you can't appreciate their dunks.
scubilete

Postby Jack Sparrow on Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:53 am

What if we got to vote like the all-star game to see who would be in the dunk contest. That would be great.
Jack Sparrow

Postby kobryant on Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:59 am

i think they should let past dunk champions be the judge for the dunk contest such as kobe, vince, desmond mason, etc.. they can be the judege if they don't participate as one of the contestants.

but why post this forum, like NBA is gonna listen to us
kobryant

Postby Boyk on Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:36 am

that sounds like a great idea i reckon
using the past champions
coz since theyve won they know wot it takes and wot too look for
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby scubilete on Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:00 am

Who knows, I might be David Stern using some fool name.
Someday D. Stern brain will work and he will know what we really want, :lol:
scubilete

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:43 pm

The purpose of discussing this topic it isn't to persuade the NBA, it's just a group of NBA fans discussing a topic. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MaD_hAND1e on Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:03 pm

Maybe like a Dunk O-U-T style?
MaD_hAND1e

Return to NBA & Basketball