Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty!)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Family Guy Thread (Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitt

Postby Andrew on Wed May 09, 2012 2:27 pm

It was alright, probably the best use they've had for Meg's character in a while (Amish Guy wasn't too bad though). The Car Chase GPS was a fairly witty and spot on deconstruction of car chase scenes, Brian's "Oh, you're gone...and the family's gone" was a good reveal gag and I liked the cutaway with Peter "playing" the violin for money. As usual there were a few jokes that were longer than necessary, one or two that confused humour with just simply talking but no major complaints this time around. Good enough.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu May 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Watched the latest ep a couple of days ago, just getting around to posting some thoughts on it now. Not bad I guess, nothing terrible about it. They tried to milk a couple of jokes and cutaways a bit too long, but that's par for the course. The blissfully unaware hypocrisy of Peter's speech at the end, suggesting a system identical to the one they had just overthrown, was quite enjoyable, fit the social commentary they were going for and served as a decent enough way to restore the status quo by the next episode. The swipe at fans on the Internet wasn't particularly clever, but Peter's reaction did make it funny.

Stewie's lines that were completely ignored by the rest of the family were probably the best part of the episode though, reminding me a little of "I flew today" at the end of "Stew-roids".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu May 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Problem I had was that it wasn't any different from a large number of episodes, just "updated" (to 2010) for a new catalyst. Peter reacts to something, takes on a fad/cause, leads to disaster, doesn't learn anything.

And it wasn't burning strawmen in as a well-written manner as the last time the guy wrote an episode mocking Republicans with the Rush Limbaugh episode.
benji

Postby benji on Tue May 22, 2012 3:26 am

I think I'll have to go with Point of Stew.

EDIT: Always up for a chicken fight.
benji

Postby ixcuincle on Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 pm

The first episode was good (Viewer mail), and the 2nd was okay. I wish they'd have more episodes like the first. 3 random stories instead of a story focused on some ancillary character.

Been saying this before, but Robin Williams is not funny, so I enjoyed the 2nd story, first episode. :lol:
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 pm

ixcuincle wrote:Robin Williams is not funny

What?

Actually, it seems you're definitely not alone on that one. I still disagree, at his best I think he is actually funny. He hasn't done an outstanding movie for a while but he did have some good ones in the 90s and what I've seen of his stand-up has been good. He was great in a guest appearance on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, too. His shtick can admittedly get old though and like Bill Cosby before him, he gone from the one making the jokes to being the punchline because the act hasn't aged well or changed enough through the years.

But even if the critique isn't off-base...should Family Guy really be the ones to make it, time and time again? They're ripping on him for being simplistic, repetitive and stale, but the same could be said of Family Guy's last five seasons and in my view, this segment. How many times have they taken a shot at Robin Williams now? How many times did they repeat the same basic joke and swipe in that segment? You could argue that it's intentional to make their point, but I think that's giving the frat boys way too much credit.

Bottom line, I thought it was a weak segment. It certainly doesn't help that I don't loathe Robin Williams as they and a lot of people seem to but even so, enough is enough. The point has been made. It's time to move on and make their own jokes, prove that they're actually better than the people they're ripping on, because the last five years of the show say otherwise.

I quite liked the first and third segments. A lot of obvious and tired jokes about British stereotypes in the first one, but they did make it work. The third segment was a good one to end on, being the strongest and most creative of the three. Stewie riding underneath the car was one of my favourite parts and they ended the episode on a really good joke with Lois' and Peter's sex represented by the lumberjacks in Stewie's dream. It reminded me of the "It's good to have land" squeaking rocking chair joke from the first revival episode, though I'd say this one was better. Overall, I'd say fairly good except for the second act which I just didn't enjoy.

The final episode though, "Internal Affairs"? Terrible, just terrible. Really, another chicken fight? I didn't much care for the first one and now we're up to the fourth. How fresh! Again, they shouldn't be knocking anyone else for being repetitive when they do stuff like this. If you liked it, fine, but for me it dragged on way too long, we've seen it all before and it just turned the entire first act into a snoozefest. For me there was no chance of the episode recovering after that, not a bad idea for a plot but it was an afterthought thanks to half the episode being taken up by filler. Not a fan of that one at all. Season ends with a thud for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 pm

I liked the first segment too, but I also thought that the Robin Williams one was straight up annoying. It could have been passable if they hadn't already taken shots at him in the past, but this was just way too much. A couple of isolated good moments here and there, but it mostly came out as petty and repetitive, just like most of their celebrity swipes these days.
As far as the last one, I actually thought for a while the entire episode was going to be about the chicken fight...Even if it wasn't, 4-5 minutes for a fucking cutaway (it wasn't technically one I think, but it's hard not to consider this a cutaway) is just plain retarded. The rest of the episode was sort of okay, but it's hard to tell a decent story with only 15 remaining minutes...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby ixcuincle on Fri May 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah, the chicken fight took up most of the first segment, wasn't that interesting.

In the first episode of the night, they referenced that Family Guy was inspired by the Simpsons, then they go ahead and make 2 episodes with strong similarities to The Simpsons. Joe and Bonnie's "divorce" had a similar feel to Kirk and LuAnne's divorce. and the cloning in the fight was very similar to the Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror" episode with the hammock.

As for Robin Williams, every time he appears on Jay or Conan he is just going non-stop, not a fan of that type of work. Will have to agree that Point of Stewie was the best segment of the night.
ixcuincle

Postby benji on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:02 am

Premiere was pretty good. Hope last season wasn't a mirage.
benji

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Yeah, solid opening to the season. I don't recall Ross Fishman being that much of a jerk in his first appearance way back in the original run but it did work for the plot. You could see Peter's offhand admission that they ate his son coming a mile away but it was still funny, indeed quite a few decent jokes in that one. Hope the rest of the season turns out to be like that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Note yet again, this was an episode with only one main story. There were little running gags and such (like Brian wanting to mark Everest), but only one plot.
benji

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 pm

It does seem to work out a lot better for them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

A lot of cameos in this episode such as Mark Burnett, and Dick Wolf, but they brought the stupid cutaways back. The public radio one was stupid.

I like it when they don't cut away, but have a random character pop up out of nowhere, like Adam West. "That's for putting one tree in One Tree Hill."

"Did you see the riots too?"
ixcuincle

Postby benji on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 am

Was alright. One plot yet again!
benji

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:45 am

Agreed, I'd say it was just OK. A few too many cutaways, not enough humour in them. I did enjoy Homer's cameo, voiced by Dan Castelleneta and all; some of the jabs between the two shows have gotten quite petty over the years, so it was nice to see one that was all in good fun and a bit self-deprecating at the same time. Story was OK, I was expecting way more mean-spirited knocks on other shows, so I was pleasantly surprised there. Again, just OK, but definitely watchable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:10 pm

I wasn't aware it was actually him :lol:

Also, Michael Clarke Duncan was in the episode. I wonder what role he played. RIP
ixcuincle

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Solid episode this week. The next episode really looks good though.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah, not bad. Ordinary plot, typical rushed ending but it was reasonably funny, which for Family Guy these days is at least a passing grade.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:28 am

Not sure if you noticed it, but they're having the time machine again next episode, and it's supposed to be an hour long episode if I heard correctly from the ad.

Time machine episodes are always great to watch.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 am

Eh, I enjoyed "Back to the Pilot" but I wasn't that fond of "Road to Germany".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Time machine episode was pretty cool. Lot of references to prior episodes.

It's an hour-long FG block to celebrate the 200th ep, so the 2nd episode is more of a documentary with the writers about Family Guy. Kind of cool.
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:38 pm

I groaned when I saw another chicken fight. To its credit it didn't go on too long and the fact it was in reverse at least made it a little different, but as someone who isn't a big fan of the original appearance, I'm well and truly fed up with that running gag.

I will say that Red Dwarf handled the "time running backwards" plot in a better and funnier way, way back in 1989, but it was a pretty good episode. Good meta humour, the concept did make for some funny moments and callbacks and aside from the chicken fight, there wasn't anything that I particularly disliked. Haven't watched the 200th episode special as yet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Latest episode ("Joe's Revenge") was another average one in my book. There's nothing I particularly disliked about it and it was refreshing that they used Joe for more than a couple of uninspired wheelchair/disability related jokes, but quite a few jokes fell flat for me. Nothing painful, they were just "meh". Brian's jealousy of Quagmire's cat made for a couple of funny scenes though, some other good moments and all things considered the plot was OK. Adam West disguising himself as the table was probably the best joke of the episode, his stuff always seems to work.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm

I quite liked the latest episode up until the end when they pulled out another Conway Twitty cutaway. It wasn't too long and it was mildly amusing to see Justin Bieber's haircut somewhat crudely placed on his head, but that wasn't enough to save what has become a very tired joke. The time they cut away to a full song just killed it for me; like the chicken fights, it needs to be retired. It left a bit a sour taste in my mouth after what was, for the most part, an entertaining episode.

Overall it was fairly good though, Peter's insulting and off-colour speech to Lois at her party was pretty funny, as was the kids' and Brian's reactions to Peter and Lois having sex in the basement ("I have better hearing, so I can hear suction and stuff") and the subplot with Stewie and the turtle was alright. For me it would've been far more enjoyable without Conway Twitty at the end there but that was really the only thing that bothered me this time around, so by current Family Guy standards that's better than average.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Latest episode was pretty good. Watch out for the plant :cheeky:
ixcuincle

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic