[Tool] NBA Stats Tracker

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K12 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.7.3.3 (w/ Trends Previe

Postby Fafarafa on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 am

Hi Leftos. Are you still developing the tool? If so what's the status?

I think the the tool and the stats in assosciation are somehow affected by the roster you use. I don't know why, as you tested it yourself before, I get different results when using different rosters.

I tested it on 30 teams association. When using rosters from 16.01 everything was ok as the teams in the tool matched the teams in the assosciation. I can restart the association over and over and it will work.

However when I loaded latest rosters the tool can't even find the stats. Even though i played games and in game stats are there the tools show 0 in every column for every team.

*EDIT
I tested it for the third time with King 12 Edited Official Rosters ( Color edits ) and now the team stats in the tool are all over the place. For example Thunder after playing three games have 72 games in win column in your tool ( in game it shows correct win loss stats ).
Fafarafa

Postby Leftos on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 am

I've taken a break from its development, since as I said, I'm deep into the exams period, and I have barely any time for development.

However, the future is bright for the tool:
EDIT: Removed plans for now, since I'm not ready to announce anything before it's done. Wouldn't want to lift your expectations in vain. Let's just say the future's bright if all goes well, and you'll have a much better tool by mid-March, worst-case. Only thing I can say is that the main priority is to get it compatible with all saves, all seasons.
- Tomorrow I'm visiting a professor at my University department to present the work I've done so far and try to make the tool the thesis for my diploma. If that happens, I should be working much harder on it until September, probably will become my number one priority.

I understand your frustration with these issues, but manually editing the tool for each save and roster and whatever else messes the stats up is too much of a hassle.
Last edited by Leftos on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Fafarafa on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:41 am

My frustration at the tool not working perfcetly is nothing compared to frustration at 2k for messing team stats in the first place. :|

Don't worry, take your time with it. You've already did great job with it. :bowdown: :bowdown:

I just wanted to point out that rosters are affecting how the tool works so it might help you in the future.

Good luck!
Fafarafa

Postby Leftos on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 am

Good news everyone. The NBA Stats Tracker is now officially my thesis for my Engineering Diploma, which means that once the winter exams end, it'll be my number one priority. It's on its way to becoming a full-fledged basketball analysis tool.

I don't want to announce any features yet, but keep an eye on this tool, because big things are coming.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby deihatein on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:57 am

Pretty cool since you can combine both your school and your hobby into one and it's awesome that the stat tracker is your thesis.

Keep up the good work mate (Y)
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby chaodck on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 am

Leftos, if you could make the tool export the boxscores into a .csv file (or even a txt or html) it would be awesome. You have already done the most difficult part, strip the data from within the game, now it's just a matter of laying the output.

Keep up the good work!
chaodck

Postby Leftos on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:33 am

Yeah, basic stuff like exporting box scores, scouting reports and trends are on my immediate to do list.

EDIT: Wait a minute. I've already done Box Score exporting to CSV. There's a button in the Box Score window which does that! :P I haven't extracted Box Scores from the game's memory or saves if that's what you mean. Yet.

EDIT 2: Here it is, and judging by the tool's version, it's a feature that's been with us for a long time.
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?p=1464593#p1464593

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chaodck on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:02 am

Yeah, what I really meant was complete boxscores, with player's individual stats. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be awesome!
chaodck

Postby Leftos on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14 am

It is possible, if Vlad and I manage to extract the box scores from the game's memory or saves. That requires however a lot of time from both me and Vlad. My exams are almost over, but as you can see he's been really busy lately, and his first priority is getting REditor's missing features in and fixing some bugs. Once he has free time, we're working on NBA Stats Tracker.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.7.3.5 (w/ Trends Previe

Postby Leftos on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm

v0.7.3.5 released!
Averages & Rankings, as well as Scouting Reports, can now be copied to the clipboard so that you can edit them and use them in Association blogs or wherever else.

Here's my Pistons Association stats after 18 games, for example:
Scouting Report
Pistons, the 12th strongest team in the league right now, after having played 18 games.

Average offensive team. Not really efficient in anything they do when they bring the ball down the court.

Top scoring team, one of the top 5 in field goal efficiency.
Not much to say about their 3pt shooting. Average, but it is there.
A team that doesn't know how to get to the line, or how to score from there. You don't have to worry about freebies against them.
A team that prefers to run its offense through its core players in isolation. Not very good in assists, but they know how to get the job done more times than not.

This team has just forgotten what defense is. They're one of the 10 easiest teams to score against.

Second chance points? One of their biggest fears. Low low LOW rebounding numbers; just jump for the ball and you'll keep your score high.

A team that knows how to play defense. They're one of the best in steals and blocks, and they make you work hard on offense.
This team is careful with and without the ball. They're good at keeping their turnovers down, and don't foul too much.
Don't throw your players into steals or fouls against them, because they play smart, and you're probably going to see the opposite call than the one you expected.

Averages & Rankings
Win %: 0.556 (11)
Win eff: 5.56 (12)

PPG: 97.6 (10)
PAPG: 98.9 (26)

FG%: 0.441 (12)
FGeff: 15.15 (5)
3P%: 0.307 (24)
3Peff: 1.98 (14)
FT%: 0.739 (22)
FTeff: 16.50 (28)

RPG: 39.6 (30)
ORPG: 7.5 (30)
DRPG: 32.1 (29)

SPG: 10.7 (1)
BPG: 4.8 (9)
TPG: 9.5 (1)
APG: 15.0 (30)
FPG: 14.6 (1)

Plus, here's how my Pistons compare to the real team right now (Compare To > The Real NBA Team)

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.7.3.5 (w/ Trends Previe

Postby chaodck on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:48 am

Great work man!!! And one step closer into stripping more data out of the game and laying it in text files or csv files, to use in blogs!!
Congrats and KUTGW!!
chaodck

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.8

Postby Leftos on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 am

v0.8 released in experimental channel.

This version introduces the history feature, which currently keeps track of the box scores you enter for each save. It's planned to be expanded into keeping history of team stats, player stats, etc. The trends feature is still in its 0.7.3.5 preview state, but I'm planning to work on it soon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Team Stats files saved with versions prior to 0.8 WILL NOT WORK with this or later versions. The file structure has been completely rewritten to allow me to expand it in the future easily with more sections, such as player stats, more history, etc. Make sure to save your Association's team stats with this version before going into your next game; trying to update your Association with a team stats file saved with v0.7.3.5 won't work.

This being an experimental version means that I need as many people as possible to test it and give me feedback as well as their bug reports.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby blizzcoe on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 am

Do I need to manually put the boxscores every after a game? Like when i simulate a month? :D
blizzcoe

Postby chaodck on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:08 am

I'm up for testing, but I have 3 questions:

1.- I'm gonna start a new association now (with Albys 3.0 Realistic Roster), do I have to do the simming a month and see the discordancies (exporting them to an excel table) and sending them to you to have the program work for my particular association??

2.- Do I have to repeat #1 every new year in my association in order to continue working??

3.- As long as I sim games the stats bug doesn't happen right?? So if I play a game and sim three, then play another, I would only have to manually input the boxscores data from the two played games, and not for every game in the association??
chaodck

Postby Leftos on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

chaodck, here's your answers, and it should answer blizzcoe's question too.

1 - If previous Albys' rosters are similar with his v3, you could try using Mode 3 straight away and see if it works. Just make sure to reload your save in the tool after choosing the mode. If it doesn't work, you need to follow the tutorial and send me a message as I say, yes.

2. The tool isn't compatible with any save after the first year yet. Compatibility for that (and also to lose the need to choose the right mode depending on the save, etc) is planned for when Vlad finds time to work on NST with me to decode the Team Stats inside the roster files.

3. Yes, simmed games do not have the box scores bug. Only games you play yourself or enter and at some point "Sim To End Of Game" get that bug.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Hey guys, I know you're probably disappointed by now. Both in 2K for giving us so many bugs this year, and in me for not keeping my promise for a release that'd be compatible with all associations, all years. Well, personal life always comes first, and Vlad has been really busy. Compatibility with 2K12 can't continue without his contribution, so right now, I can't give you anything besides it'll be done when it's done.

However, NBA Stats Tracker's development continues, in all its other areas besides compatibility, namely the statistical analysis and its features themselves. So, I need your input, your ideas on what you'd like to see NBA Stats Tracker do. What 2K doesn't do well in stats analysis, what it does well, what kind of analysis YOU want for your Association. Who knows? You might just get your wish granted. Imagine the possibilities for the 2K13 edition. :D

So, feel like giving me an idea or two?

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=85876

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chaodck on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm

First all thanks for all the hard work you're putting on this man, you're a wonderful addition to this community.

Second, I personally would like to see more output options, I'd like the ability not only to export the raw team data from each game (which I think is possible AtM), but also detailed stats from each player, and the possibility to export it to a CSV, plain excel, txt file, etc. Hopefully compatibility with CSV, as that would make it possible to make very quickly an excel template to publish the boxscore in a association story or just to keep track of them.

In terms of the scouting reports, I very much like what's present now, and the idea is to maintain it as realistic as possible, so take into account pre-game reports and previews from ESPN, NBA.com, and other sources in order to give what real journalists give us.

Keep up the good work man, I, personally, am really thankful for your effort.
chaodck

Postby Leftos on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for your kind words.

As per detailed player stats, that's on the works. NST will be rebuilt to include player stats, history over the season as well as multiple seasons, and much more (probably with something like SQLlite as a backend, rather than custom files, to be able to execute complicated queries easily). So as soon as that is implemented, you'll be able to enter all the player stats as well and get the same exporting options, as well as League Leaders, Metric Stats and Head-To-Head comparisons.

Regarding 2K, it's up to Vlad to see if we can automate some of that. I mean, he already has decoded the Player Stats table (it's in REditor already), so it's only a matter of finding the Team Stats table and decoding it, as well as seeing if we can find and decode the Box Scores, so that you won't need to enter the whole Box Score manually.

Note that if you have any further ideas, please post them in the topic to which I've put a link in the previous post. I'd like to have all the ideas in one place.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Any chance of making this work for my ongoing association?
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 am

No, ongoing Associations can't be fixed. Not in any easy way at least. You'd be better off starting a new one and following the instructions to make it work yourself, or donating what it takes for me to make the tool work with your save.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:33 pm

if i donate can you guarantee you can make it work for my assoc?
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 am

Now how epic is this?

I've finally began work on all the plans I mentioned in detail in this post for NBA Stats Tracker, and this is the first accomplishment so far. The first step towards split-stats is done; the tool can now limit the Team Stats shown between two particular dates, based on the Box Scores you've updated the file with. You'll be able to just insert box score information in the midst of a season, without it being automatically added to a team stats (so that you can for example add a lot of box scores you've forgotten but enter the total team stats seperately).

Oh and by the way, this is an early screenshot. I'm now adding the Opponents stats to that screen, so that you not only see how your team was doing during that time, but also your opponents' performance as well. (A 42% FG% is not that good, but is good enough if you've kept your opponents to an average of, say, 39%, to put it in context.)

UPDATE: As I said...

P.S. Don't be confused by the weird stats shown in the screenshots. I just quickly typed in 2-2-2-2-2-2 etc. in the Box Score screen to try the feature out.

UPDATE 2: Box Scores tab implemented in Team Overview screen. You can view all box scores saved for a team or limit them down to between specific dates. Double-clicking on a box score takes you to the Box Score window where you can view the full box score and edit it.

Oh, did I mention that now you can edit saved Box Scores?

UPDATE 3: Head-to-head is almost done. Here's the main head-to-head tab, which shows the comparison of averages and past box-scores. Once I implement players, you'll be able to compare the best performers of the two teams in all matches, as well as in matchups between the two teams.

UPDATE 4: Head-to-head (as far as teams go, no players) is done. You can see the averages of both teams, both against the league as well as each other. And as always, you can limit that to a certain timeframe. Box Scores of their matchups are shown as well, viewable and editable as I explained earlier.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.? (The new beginning)

Postby aguifs on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:28 am

Fantasticccc!!! :bowdown: :bowdown2:
aguifs

Postby JaoSming on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 am

lol, dude wtf? :applaud: :applaud:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bulls#1 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Epic as Superman!
Bulls#1

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12 Modding