A LEGEND IS BORN III

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: A LEGEND IS BORN III: 2014 NBA FINALS GAME 6 (EPIC, GREA

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:57 am

You're cutting it close, my friend. Beat the Heat!
Lamrock

Postby Martti. on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 am

The hell is wrong with Durant? I thought he'll surely thrive on the biggest stage.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:09 am

Lamrock wrote:You're cutting it close, my friend. Beat the Heat!

Fingers crossed that the Stealth don't choke in Game 7 ;)

Martti. wrote:The hell is wrong with Durant? I thought he'll surely thrive on the biggest stage.

As Durant said himself, Miami had more to lose. I guess the MVP was not trying to win?
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:59 pm

KEVIN DURANT, SEATTLE STEALTH WIN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

Image Image

June 21, SEATTLE – After years of playoff heartbreak, the Seattle Stealth finally have an NBA championship.

“It was a long time coming,” a teary and battle-weary Jason Kidd told sideline reporters as confetti fell from the rafters, “Kevin (Durant), Coach (George Karl), the manager (Will Sit) and the team have been through a lot. We knew that our time would come… it just took a little longer than expected.”

As the buzzer sounded in the 122-101 win in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, the Stealth players leapt off the bench and ran to the middle of the court to celebrate. NBA MVP and Finals MVP Kevin Durant (27.9 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.3 apg for the series) didn’t join his teammates as he ran to the baseline in front of the stand where a contingency of diehard Durant fans were giving him a rousing ovation. As they chanted, “Kevin, Kevin, Kevin”, Durant cupped his hand to his ears and then put his index finger in the air.

The Miami Heat nearly spoiled the Stealth’s fairy tale finish to a great season as they opened the game with a 13-2 run. Durant missed his first three shots and was in foul trouble early in the game. The Stealth were not in sync and had it not been for Chinese forward and substitute Mingyu Li, then the champions could have been the Heat.

Li came off the bench to knock down three shots to score 7 of his 11 points in an important 3 minute stretch to end the first period. He ended the quarter with a three pointer off the dribble, which seemed to energise his teammates coming out of the quarter break. The Stealth played a much better second quarter as they evened the score with both teams locked at 51-51 at halftime.

“Mingyu really saved us out there,” Coach Karl smiled at the podium interview, “We’ve encouraged him to really take advantage of his shooting skills out on the floor. We needed a lift from him especially because of the fact that our other (David) Lee wasn’t on the court.”

The third quarter then belonged to Durant who scored 15 of his 37 points. Durant was unstoppable as he scored on an array of moves to the hoop as well as deep in the half court. “You just can’t stop him,” Wade told the media, “I don’t know what to say. He’s the best player in the NBA. He deserves the title as much as it stings me to say it.”

Seattle didn’t pull away with the win until the fourth quarter. The Stealth entered that period with an 84-79 advantage and it was NBA veteran and future Hall-of-Famer Allen Iverson who helped to seal the deal. Iverson scored 10 of his 16 points in the first 6 minutes of the fourth period. “Just like old times,” Kidd marvelled at his teammate, “Iverson is the most fiery basketball player I have ever played with or against. His heart is bigger than even (Michael) Jordan’s.”

Durant wasn’t done yet as he added point after point to his total in the fourth quarter. He finally took a seat to MVP chants with 2:16 left in the game and his team comfortably ahead. Durant had 5 rebounds and 4 assists to go with his 37 points (16-20 shooting). He missed just 1 shot over three quarters and boasted that he had promised to deliver a title to Seattle. “This is my team baby,” he addressed the stadium, “That’s why I put everything I had on the floor tonight.”

Future Hall-of-Famer had one of his best games of his career in a game that has redefined his standing as one of the All-Time greats. Kidd’s 19 points and 17 assists will surely never be broken again as he became the oldest player to ever record a double double in an NBA Finals game at the age of 41. “This is the sweetest win of my career,” he exclaimed as he held back tears addressing the crowd.

The injured Andrew Bogut continued to impose his dominance despite a heel injury as he put up 27 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks. The Australian big is convinced that Stealth fans are looking at a possible dynasty, “Even if Jason and Allen retired today, I am pretty sure we have the depth to continue title runs for the next four or five years,” Bogut said, “I’m very excited we got over the hump.”

Young superstar shooting guard Reshawn Tyson added to his collection of championships. He noted that he was over the moon about beating college rival Moses Chara to an NBA title after their battles in the college game whilst he was with the Tar Heels and Chara played for the Blue Devils. “I struggled tonight a little bit but what matters most is the win,” Tyson who finished with 9 points and 7 assists said.

Wade (23 points), JR Smith (22 points) and Michael Beasley (20 points) were gracious in defeat. “They deserve it,” Wade said. Smith added his congratulations as he retreated from the arena, “This is one helluva a team. I think they were underachievers for a long time so it’s about time they performed well.” Beasley noted, “This is always the hardest city to play in. This team is going to be strong for years to come.”

After David Stern presented the Larry O’Brien trophy to Coach Karl, the noise in the arena nearly brought the roof down. “Seattle will be partying for months now,” Coach Karl joked.

The best moment of the night might have been David Lee being helped onto the podium by Rocky Akonnor and Li. Lee left his crutches courtside but had his teammates to support him to stay standing throughout the trophy presentation.

It was also fitting that General Manager and former Head Coach Will Sit addressed the crowd, “When I assembled this team, I knew we had the right people to bring a championship here. It was only a matter of time and this organisation is blessed to have such great fan support. And to think that David Stern wanted to move the franchise to Oklahoma City!”

Read More…
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:06 pm

2014 NBA Champions. Iverson (3), Kidd (5), Bogut (6), Li (11), Tyson (23)

2014 NBA Champions. Durant (35), Wu (8), Akonnor (00)

Coach Spo walks over to congratulate Coach Karl

Coach Karl accepts the trophy from David Stern

Loyal Stealth fans finally get to see their team win it all

Seattle are your 2014 NBA Champions.
Fresh8

Re: A LEGEND IS BORN III: 2014 NBA FINALS GAME SEVEN

Postby The X on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Great to see Rocky Akonnor get his well deserved title :applaud:

Glad you could finally get it done. A fitting way to end this Association. Those ghastly grey jerseys, don't know how you played so many seasons with them :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby newc on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Great end to the best association ever, congratz on winning the trophy (Y)
newc

Postby Valor on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:54 pm

The X wrote:Glad you could finally get it done. A fitting way to end this Association. Those ghastly grey jerseys, don't know how you played so many seasons with them :lol:

That (Y)
Grats on the win man, what a finish! :chug:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Finally! KD saved his best for last. Though I'd have preferred my Tar Heel bro Ty had got the MVP.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:48 am

The best way to end this, man (Y) Congrats!
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Axel The Great on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am

Congrats on finally winning the title, Sit. (Y) It was only natural given the team you had.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 am

Awesome way to end the best association story ever. Glad it finally happens after years of near misses, and with Kidd still on the roster to boot.
Lamrock

Postby |)e8* on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:00 am

CONGRATS! Great to see it end this way
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Updated: June 25, 2014
Stealth Victory Means A Lot Of Things
I’m talking about legacies and the future...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Woody Hannes
ESPN.com Editor

It was a feel-good moment when League MVP and Finals MVP Kevin Durant celebrated in front of some of his biggest fans at the conclusion of his team’s Game 7 win. The happy feelings continued as pictures of his teammates embracing at half court were beamed live to the nation. You could feel the spirit of Jason Kidd and Allen Iverson as they congratulated each other on their first NBA titles at the end of their careers. Stealth manager Will Sit’s vision paid dividends as he resisted pulling the trigger on breaking up the team numerous times over the past two years. It was overall a great moment in NBA history especially for Seattle but what comes next?

The future may not be so clear-cut for the NBA’s newly crowned champs. Seattle has an aging roster with quite possibly the most ancient point guard starter and backup in NBA history. There are also question marks over the durability of the existence of the team’s top two scorers as well as whether the Head Coach will be in the game too much longer.

This upcoming offseason is really going to define whether the NBA champions will have what it takes to contend for another title.

Kevin Durant and Reshawn Tyson

There have been stories of locker room bust-ups and everyone can tell that the NBA’s best player is not happy about his sidekick. The problem is that the sidekick has sometimes looked a lot sharper and more valuable to the team than the leader of the pack. Tyson is as valuable as Durant is to the team’s future especially with the team’s high chances of losing its best distributor (yes, Kidd is the team’s best distributor). Tyson can do it all on both ends of the floor and is only entering his prime now. A Durant-Tyson duo is as lethal as the MJ-Pippen duo from the 1990s.

However, who do you choose when it all gets turned upside down? If either one of those players demanded that the other get traded; who do you choose to keep?

Durant is the reigning MVP and has proven to be one of the best scorers of all-time. If he tried, there’s no doubt he could score 100 points in a game. He is that good. Did you see him in Game 7 of the NBA Finals? He was so lethal that Lebron James should pay him millions of dollars this Summer to learn that kind of train of thought off of him. Durant is in his prime and a machine who keeps coming back at you. He is one of a kind.

Meanwhile, Tyson has made the decision much harder as he is more of an all-around package. He hustles, defends, scores, shoots, dribbles, passes and does everything else. The one thing he lacks is leadership but one can argue that he hasn’t had the chance to do that because he plays on Durant’s team. And rest assured that if the Stealth tried to deal Tyson, they would not get equal value. There is no shooting guard who is as young as him and as good as him.

In the short-term, these two should be teammates but who knows what will happen over time. And if it ever came down to it, I do not envy Will Sit’s position.

Coach George Karl

George Karl finally added an NBA championship to his long list of achievements. Are we close to the end of a long coaching career? I think so.

Karl has health issues but it was his return to the helm of the Stealth ship that put them back on track after a mixed year when Sit was in charge. It remains to be seen whether Coach Karl can continue pacing the sidelines and how the franchise will replace him. Will Coach Sit be back? Will the franchise look to other options? Will they have a young coach or someone more experienced? How will the players react? How will a new coach affect the team’s style and chances of continuing to contend in the NBA?

There are so many questions that need to be answered but one thing is certain; next season could be Coach Karl’s last ever. Coach Karl didn’t indicate one way or another how he felt about it all. The experienced Head Coach just said that he would enjoy the upcoming summer and enjoy his success from what he termed as ‘my finest NBA season’.

Allen Iverson

Allen Iverson finally won a title and stated that he would be back for the team’s title defence. “I will be back,” he promised as he answered questions on the podium next to fellow long time NBA colleague Jason Kidd, “I am motivated. I want three rings before I retire. I still have a little bit left in the tank.”

Iverson was surprisingly cooperative as he embraced his role as the team’s sixth man. Many had thought Iverson’s career was over after being a major flop playing in New York alongside Vince Carter and Lamar Odom. It was the Stealth who embraced him with open arms and prolonged his playing career.

Iverson acknowledged this, “I have a lot to thank for being here in Seattle. I can finally go out as an NBA champion.”

The title was the best thing to happen to both Iverson and Kidd who will be sure-fire first ballot Hall-of-Famers. The title is especially important for Iverson who met years of irrelevance between his Philadelphia days and his time in Seattle. Iverson’s reputation as an All-Time great was at risk until he won this title. He was a big part and nobody will forget that.

Iverson showed that even the most stubborn of players could embrace life as a role player after a life as a superstar.

Jason Kidd

Unlike Iverson, Kidd did not commit to playing another season.

“I am 42 years old,” Kidd explained, “I’ve been playing a very long time. I have been thing hard about the possibility of retirement.”

But the veteran did not confirm what his answer was. He said he needed time to consider it.

“I always said that if I won one, I would call it quits. That’s what I said when I resigned with Seattle but there’s also a reason why I signed on for more than one year. It’s a tough decision,” Kidd said.

The loss of Kidd would definitely hurt the team a lot. Kidd provides as much on the court as he does off of it. Even in his 40s, Kidd can still change a close game into a win. As he showed in his maestro effort in Game 7, Kidd can still play with the best of them. He is many steps slower but he can still find ways score (19 points) and he has the talent alongside him to help him register assists (17 assists).

If he is back next season, he will likely be a bit player but the team noticeably struggled and nearly were upset by the Warriors in the second round without him. The title also means that Kidd has passed the great John Stockton as the second best point guard in the game. Incentive for Kidd to stay is that another title might rank him as the best at his position of All-Time – ahead of Magic Johnson (yes, I am serious).

David Lee

The talent of Seattle is so deep that Lee, a former All-Star, has become a bit player. It was unfortunate though that the hardest working Stealth player was injured for the NBA Finals. Nevertheless, Lee got a ring and proved to all the doubters who were calling for him to be traded for Chris Bosh over the past three seasons.

Lee addressed those doubters from the locker room during post-Finals celebrations, “I’ve always worked hard to be a great teammate. I think that people are just jealous and expect too much. They don’t understand how much I sacrificed to be here. I could have made a lot more money and had a bigger role on a different team. But I chose Seattle because they had a vision to build a championship team.”

Lee spoke about his expiring contract, “I am going to stay here. I don’t want to go anywhere.”

If Lee doesn’t sound like a winner then I don’t know who does. The Stealth are lucky they never dealt him. This championship will most likely keep Lee around for a while.

Andrew Bogut

The former first overall pick may not have the point and rebound numbers in Seattle to make him look like a surefire Hall-of-Famer but he has the all-around numbers to put him in there. Bogut’s influence on this team cannot be measured by just numbers either. He is the most skilled big man in the game today and one of the most underrated players in the NBA.

Bogut played through injuries all season long and delivered. The NBA title will serve him well in future and I am sure that without him at the pivot, the Stealth would not be where they are now. The third option on this team, Bogut has established himself as the top big ahead of even Dwight Howard. On his own team, Bogut could probably average 20 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists a game. That is how good he is.

The Stealth may face some complications this Summer as Bogut has stated his intention to test free agency. It will be interesting to see whether Bogut will be loyal to the team. Money should not be an issue. The issue will be whether Bogut feels like he wants to have his own team to lead rather than being a third wheel.

Jao Wu

It was another bumpy season for Jao Wu. His inconsistency hurts the team as does his attitude and shoot-first mentality. The once heralded American-Chinese prodigy has done more harm than good to his stock. If you could tell from how the team used him in the playoffs, they don’t trust a young and quick talent like him and rather put the ball in Jason Kidd’s hands. When Kidd was injured, Wu had great games but he always had more stinkers.

“It was a tough season,” Wu told reporters who noticed that he wasn’t celebrating with his teammates after the Game 7 win, “My playing time was see-sawing. I can’t get in a rhythm like that. I’ve always had the ball in my hands.”

Wu was said to have requested a trade from the Stealth mid-season and even was quoted as saying, “Who cares if we are winning if I’m not contributing.”

Wu’s days in Seattle may be numbered but not until after the team gives him a shot at replacing Jason Kidd full-time. Wu wasn’t a big contributor when the tough got going and may be expendable if the team can bring in a point guard with more experience or a point guard who would be a better fit for this team.

Will Sit

Will Sit’s vision from years ago paid off and the cumulative effect of all of his moves seem genius right now. Signing Jason Kidd and David Lee in his first full offseason as GM and then trading for Andrew Bogut seems totally justified after these many long years. Trading Russell Westbrook for Reshawn Tyson was a spectacular move in hindsight after Sit was given grief for years that he would bring in a player who many labelled as ‘soft’ and replaced a young athletic PG in Westbrook with an old and slow Kidd.

Sit deserves even more praise for withstanding demand from brass and fans during times where they wanted to see Chris Bosh in exchange for Lee and Tyson. Sit addressed this, “I’ve been saying for three years that trading for Chris Bosh was going to be too expensive for us. Look at where the Nets were this postseason.”

Whether Sit becomes the Head Coach down the track, continues his work as GM or goes to another team (rumours of the Knicks) – he has built a legacy that will be hard to beat in Seattle.

It’s hard to forecast this team’s chances of success. The starting lineup is old. Suppose that Kidd does retire with Wu taking over that starting PG spot, the team’s problems may complicate if Wu is disruptive to the team’s already shakey chemistry.

What remains constant is that the team does have the League’s best player in Kevin Durant. They also have the best big man in the game in Bogut and they have one of the brightest all-around players in Tyson.

The Stealth also had the deepest bench in the league with Rocky Akonnor, Mingyu Li, Adam Morrison and Allen Iverson. However, Adam Morrison and Mingyu Li may not be back with the team after this Summer as their contracts are expiring this Summer.

It’s no secret though that Sit and his front office will need to start stockpiling some talent in order to offset the exits of Kidd, Iverson and eventually Lee and Bogut. This offseason will be crucial and the team is going to need to look to free agency and hope to lure a serviceable veteran with the midlevel exception as well as resign Bogut to a multi-year deal.

If the Stealth don’t plan ahead for the next 4-5 seasons, then the downfall of the Stealth could be very ugly.
Fresh8

Re: A LEGEND IS BORN III: Game 7 + Woody Hannes Article

Postby dare on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Good job on everything man. ALIB 4 coming? :D
dare
True kings have rings

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 pm

IRL Woody Hannes would only be qualified for writing Bleacher Report articles or worse - ESPN.

JAO WU BITCHES!

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Houndy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:55 am

Helluva win for the Stealth, bringing the championship to Seattle
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:43 pm

The X wrote:Great to see Rocky Akonnor get his well deserved title :applaud:

Glad you could finally get it done. A fitting way to end this Association. Those ghastly grey jerseys, don't know how you played so many seasons with them :lol:

The grey isn't that bad... really. I got used to them haha

Martti. wrote:Finally! KD saved his best for last. Though I'd have preferred my Tar Heel bro Ty had got the MVP.

But it's Kevin's team...

Lamrock wrote:Awesome way to end the best association story ever. Glad it finally happens after years of near misses, and with Kidd still on the roster to boot.

No love for The Answer?

shadowgrin wrote:IRL Woody Hannes would only be qualified for writing Bleacher Report articles or worse - ESPN.

Should Woody be offended by that comment?
Fresh8

Re: A LEGEND IS BORN III

Postby Valor on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 am

If you continue on, I hope J-Kidd returns for the title defense (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 am

Glad I caught that last article. Nice to see all the noteworthy players given closure. Now, you're the champs and its Jao Wu's turn. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 am

Valor wrote:If you continue on, I hope J-Kidd returns for the title defense (Y)

Everyone hopes so too. :)

Lamrock wrote:Glad I caught that last article. Nice to see all the noteworthy players given closure. Now, you're the champs and its Jao Wu's turn. (Y)

Jao Wu's career averages of 4 ppg, 1 apg over 2 seasons aren't exactly eye-catching. Next Darko? A cult figure who cannot measure up to expectations?
Fresh8

Postby The X on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Better than Magic? You're dreaming Woody, you're dreaming :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 pm

The X wrote:Better than Magic? You're dreaming Woody, you're dreaming :lol:

You got to respect Woody putting it out there. :)
Fresh8

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Sit wrote:Jao Wu's career averages of 4 ppg, 1 apg over 2 seasons aren't exactly eye-catching. Next Darko? A cult figure who cannot measure up to expectations?

Fuck you Sit. Fuck you. That's both for Darko and Jao Wu.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
Sit wrote:Jao Wu's career averages of 4 ppg, 1 apg over 2 seasons aren't exactly eye-catching. Next Darko? A cult figure who cannot measure up to expectations?

Fuck you Sit. Fuck you. That's both for Darko and Jao Wu.

GM Sit is going to trade Jao Wu's ass out of Seattle - just like Westbrook's.
Fresh8

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame