[Tool] NBA Stats Tracker

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K12 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

[Tool] NBA Stats Tracker

Postby Leftos on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 am

NBA Stats Tracker
An in-depth basketball statistical analysis tool for any basketball league, whether real or in NBA 2K12

Special Thanks
Donors: jrlocke, Tinifu Tuitama, nbagnome, intruda
Suggestions/Bug Reports: Onisak, zizoux, AreaOfEffect, koberulz, nbagnome, Lagoa, WBT99, albidnis, Pitar

Support via Flattr
Support via Paypal

=================================================

Prologue
What started as a workaround to the Team Stats bug in NBA 2K12, grew up to become a full stats tracker & analyzer for any basketball league. 'NBA 2K12 Correct Team Stats' is now 'NBA Stats Tracker', it's my thesis for my Computer Engineering degree, it's my work and passion.

Its goal is to offer a cheap and easy solution to real life coaches and fans who want to keep track of their favorite teams and leagues and do all kinds of analysis on the data. When done, it should also offer scouting reports in natural language for nearly every window and table of data. It will also
feature a mobile app with syncing to the cloud, to allow you to carry the stats and scouting reports everywhere with you.

Quick notes
NBA Stats Tracker is a basketball analysis tool. It allows you to add teams and players to a database and gather stats either by entering the box scores of each game, or by manually editing the stats yourself.

What the tool offers is deep analysis and comparison for every team and player, as well as league-wide overviews. It also features scouting reports in natural language which can help you prepare against an opponent you're unfamiliar with, get to know their strengths and weaknesses, as well as what trends come up out of their recent performances.

All analysis features can be applied to a season's stats, or any specific timeframe starting from days up to years.

Whenever you find yourself in a window that has a table with teams, players or box-scores in it, double-click on any of them to get to the overview screen of it.

Each database can keep data from multiple seasons. You can compare yearly averages, as well as compare results against a particular opponent over the years, for example.

NBA 2K12 Features

This tool was originally made to offer a temporary workaround to the Association/ Season/My Player/Create A Legend team stats bug. Any game you entered and played would have the team stats of the teams that played in it all wrong afterwards. For example 85BPG, 92APG, 70RPG, etc. This really ruined the immersion the Association offers for those that like to play or even watch the games, instead of just simulating them from the Calendar. The Team Stats screen was wrong, the in-game overlays about the team were wrong. A mess. Even after the first console patches, 2K still hasn't fixed this issue.

Don't worry though.

If you have the patience to follow the following tutorial for each game you play, you should have your Team Stats fixed, and all the stats you need in NBA Stats Tracker for you to analyze.

Just follow these steps:
REditor
Video Tutorial
phpBB [video]

EDIT: Forgot to mention that simulated games will work just as well, if you follow the same procedure to the letter, but instead of playing the game you simulate it. It's really important to keep in mind that you need to save right before the game (Play Game's autosave is your best option, and then you can back out), and right after the game (do nothing else after simulating your team's game; no other teams should have played a game between the two imports into NST or the auto-detection fails).

Instructions
1. From in-game, select Play Game (even if you're going to simulate it), and let it save your career on the jersey selection screen.
2. Alt-Tab out of the game and start REditor.
3. Open your save in REditor, export everything to CSV (File > Export to CSV).
4. Start NBA Stats Tracker.
5. Open your database, or create a new one if you haven't previously done so.
6. Click on Import from 2K12 Save, select the folder you saved the CSVs into in Step 3.
7. Save the database.
8. Alt-Tab into the game and play it or watch it, then after it's done let it save your career again. If you're simulating games, simulate just this game and then save immediately. Do not let any other games simulate since your last save.
9. Alt-Tab out of the game and start REditor.
10. Open your save in REditor, export everything to CSV (File > Export to CSV).
11. Go back to the tool, open the database you saved before the game.
12. Click on Import from 2K12 Save, select the folder you saved the CSVs into in Step 10.
13. The tool should detect the game you played and ask you which team is the home team.
14. The tool will now show you the full box score of the game so that you can verify everything's okay. Click on OK.
15. Save the database.
16. Click on Export to 2K12 Save, select the folder you saved the CSVs into in Step 3.
17. Go to REditor, open your career again, import everything from CSV (File > Import from CSV).
18. Save your career in REditor.
19. You're done! Once you go back to NBA 2K12, make sure to quit your career and reload it, or your changes could be lost.

Old Season 1 Workaround
1. From in-game, select Play Game, and let it save your career.
2. Alt-Tab out of the game and into the tool.
3. Open your database, or create a new one if you haven't previously done so.
4. Import the NBA 2K12 stats from your save right before the game.
5. Save the database.
6. Alt-Tab into the game and play it or watch it, then after it's done let it save your career again.
7. Go back to the tool, open the database you saved before the game.
8. Click on Update with Box Score, enter the Box Score and click OK.
9. Click on Export to 2K12 Save, choose the Career file in the dialog.
10. You're done!

For a full list of features, see the Readme file included with the installer.

Known Issues
  • Player Playoff Stats aren't imported when doing an REditor import from an NBA 2K12 save. This is an REditor issue, and if the functionality is added to REditor, it will be added to NBA Stats Tracker as well.

Source Code Git Repository, Issue Tracker & Open Wiki
https://github.com/leftos/nba-stats-tracker

Disclaimer
The tool is still in beta. I've tested it in my environment, on my Association files and it seems to work perfectly. If you encounter any problems, please report them to me.

Keep one thing in mind however...

ALWAYS KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR SAVES!

I won't take any responsibility if this tool messes up your Saves. You've been warned. It hasn't messed up my Association, but just saying.

Feature Tour
phpBB [video]

Download
NBA Stats Tracker

Screenshots

The tool's main screen.

Team Overview

Player Overview

League Overview

Advanced Player Search

Scouting Report for a team

Issues & Suggestions
Besides the forum, there's a more "organized" place to place your issues and suggestions, the NBA Stats Tracker Issue Tracker at Bitbucket. It'd really help me if you participated. Try to follow these rules:
  • Check if your issue is already reported before opening a new report.
  • Try to be as descriptive as possible. If opening a bug report, include the circumstances and if you can reproduce it and how. If opening a crash report, include the errorlog; the tool should tell you where to find it.
Link: https://bitbucket.org/leftos/nba-stats-tracker/issues

Donate and support my work
If you enjoy using my tools and want to show your appreciation, all you have to do is say a hello and a thank you in a reply here. If, however, you want to show a little more appreciation, you can always consider making a small donation towards my everyday and studies expenses. Any donation, no matter the amount, will give me even greater incentive to develop these tools and helping the community.

Click here to donate!
Last edited by Leftos on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 am, edited 70 times in total.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.1.0 RELEASED!

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:03 am

Outstanding. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mythbuster on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 am

Superb in tools as always, thanks :bowdown2:
Trying my best to get better.
Like the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Mythbuster2KX/

Please donate, would be a big help for me, my mods and my PC. Thanks!

My 2k14 Thread-Mythbuster
My 2k13 Thread-Mythbuster
My 2k12 Thread-Mythbuster
My 2k11 Thread-GS6CAR7/Mythbuster

http://www.youtube.com/user/Manaphy756
Mythbuster
Extremely Addictive
Contributor

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.1.0

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 am

Well I'd be damned. Second season stats are saved in different positions that the first one's, and aren't even kept in a continuous stream, they are all over the place.

This will need quite some work. I hope that at least the 3rd season is somewhere I can expect it to be.

EDIT: Nope, can't be done. Each season saves its Team Stats in a separate position in the Save file. 1st one saves elsewhere, 2nd one elsewhere, 3rd one elsewhere, etc. And it's not just the matter of finding the first team, even the order of the teams changes for no apparent reason, and I can't detect where in the savegame the game puts where to look for each team's team-stats, or the team order. If anyone can help me, be my guest. Otherwise, this tool will only work for the first season & playoffs.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:24 am

v0.2 has been released
The tool is now compatible with Seasons and Playoffs files, and I've added extended functionality to keep the tool compatible with the Playoffs in Seasons and Associations.

Known issue however, as I explain in the above post, is that the game doesn't keep the Team Stats in the same place each year, so until I can determine where in the save files is the information that lets the game know where it can find each team's stats, I won't make it compatible with the following seasons, as it would be a highly manual job for me.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.2

Postby Onisak on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:32 am

I crashes at start for me :(. It says Nba 2k12 miracle my jersey encountered a critical error and it will close... I don't know what does miracle jerseys have with this :).
Onisak

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 am

Yeah, some error handling code was copy-pasted from my other utilities, and I forgot to change the texts.

So, could you upload the logs on http://www.pastebin.com so I can see what's wrong? Also, what's your OS?
Last edited by Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Onisak on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:39 am

Onisak

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 am

Thanks. I fixed the silly bug.

v0.2.0.1 released.
Fixed small bug that wouldn't allow the tool to start in v0.2.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Onisak on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 am

Thanks! Great tool! (Y) (Y)
Onisak

Postby Vl@d Zola Jr. on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 am

Great work, mate! (Y) (Y) Hope, you'll make it more automated in future. ;)
And yes, stop working days and nights, start preparing for the exams. :mrgreen: A little piece of advise. ;)
Vl@d Zola Jr.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:23 am

Making it more automated would require me to find the actual box scores for each game every time, something that scares me even as a concept right now. But who knows? :P

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Vl@d Zola Jr. on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:49 am

Leftos wrote:Making it more automated would require me to find the actual box scores for each game every time, something that scares me even as a concept right now. But who knows? :P

Who knows, but i'm really going to help you with the main concept of finding and accessing these things, when i have some time. :wink:
I did find box scores for home team for NBA 2K10 back in the days. :roll:
Vl@d Zola Jr.
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.2.1

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:36 am

v0.2.1 released.
Fixed a bug that would register the first team's FTA as the second team's as well. Also has minor improvements and fixes (for example, you can't enter the Points that each team scored, they're automatically calculated from FGM, 3PM and FTM so that you can verify you've entered them correctly).

Also contains a tiny preview of "Show Averages" that I didn't have time to work on.

On my TODO list are to finish the "Show Averages", and to create a "Trends" screen, that will compare two saves of the same Association and show you trends between them. For example, you can compare a save of your association from November 1 and one from December 1 (if you keep them, of course), and see which teams improved and in what, as well as which teams had a bad month. I'll try to make it in a "blog post" fashion, with natural language, so that you can copy it and keep history of your Association. Imagine how better this will become if I finally find the way to make the tool work for the years past the first season. You could compare the whole league to what it was a year ago, see 12 month trends, 6 month trends, etc.

=================================

v0.3 preview!

What do you guys think?

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.3

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 am

v0.3 released!
Introducing Stat Averages and Rankings, this is the first step towards the Trends screen that will give you an analysis of what trends have formed in the league stat-wise between two saves; which teams are doing good, and which bad.

Right now, v0.3 introduces the basis for this, a Stat Averages and Ranking screen, which gives you the percentages of your team as well as its ranking for each stat in the league.
See how well your team is doing, and scout your next opponent for their strengths and weaknesses in a quick glance!

Also introducing efficiency ratings, which take into account both the percentage as well as the amount made. The explanation quoted from the readme:

The "eff" averages are efficiency averages, and they take into account both the success percentage, as well as the absolute amount. What that means is though both a 3-0 and a 6-0 team are on a 1.0 winning %, the second team can obviously keep the 1.0 longer, and has more chances of winning the division/conference/league. Another example are 3 pointers. Two teams that shoot 40% from beyond the arc are dangerous. But if you attempt 5 3-pointers in the whole game, 40% means you made two. That's not really dangerous now, is it? However, a team that has a 40% success while attempting 15 three pointers a game, makes 6 every game! Now that's more like it. Thus, a team that has the same percentage with another, but has that on more wins/shots, will have a better "eff" average.

The "Win eff" ranking is actually a Power Ranking of sorts, as it shows you the relative winning strength of a team in the league, taking account not only the winning percentage, but also how many wins they've got so far and how close they are to the end of the season.

Screenshots
Image Image Image

===================================================================

v0.4 preview

I've started working on the Scouting Reports. I've only gone through FG, 3PT and FT rankings, but I'm going to do more tomorrow, and maybe get it done.

Here's a taste:

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.4 (w/ SCOUTING REPORTS)

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 am

NOTE: Sorry to the mods for the constant bumping, but I've been working all night on this, and I hope that the latest feature is enough of an excuse for me to bump the thread one last time to announce the release.

v0.4 released!
Introducing scouting reports! Load your association, choose your next opponent, and get a scouting report on their pros and cons based on their stats and rankings in your Association, what you should be careful about and tips on how to run your game!

Screenshots

v0.4.0.1 released!
Quick fix for a bug that disabled "Save Team Stats" from working in v0.4.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.4.0.1 (w/ SCOUTING REPORTS)

Postby deihatein on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:50 am

Damn this is awesome. Will definitely use this when I make a new association soon. Too bad I can't use this on my ongoing one since it's on the third season now.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby albidnis on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Great work. Is it possible to pull the stats in to a .csv for example from the save file instead of input. That would be a great feature for the guys like me that love to post association blogs.
albidnis

Postby Lagoa on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Question here;

I can use this tool just after have a stats problem? Or need to use since play firts game on my association?

Ex: I have a association with 10 games without use your tool. After 10 games bug apears and my team show 85 blocks per game, it´s possible to use your tool just for a little update in this stats and after the game auto update?

Or if i use one time i need to update all game?

Hope you understand my english... lol
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM and TWITTER @lagoanba

Please consider making a donation of any value if you like my work! :D

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url
Lagoa

Postby BrotherJRB on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 pm

albidnis wrote:Great work. Is it possible to pull the stats in to a .csv for example from the save file instead of input. That would be a great feature for the guys like me that love to post association blogs.

Yes Leftos I agree with this. Please let us know if possible. Great tool and thanks for tackling a big issue with the game.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.4 (w/ SCOUTING REPORTS)

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Leftos wrote:NOTE: Sorry to the mods for the constant bumping, but I've been working all night on this, and I hope that the latest feature is enough of an excuse for me to bump the thread one last time to announce the release.

No problem, it's well worth it. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Here's my ToDo list, hope I'll keep everybody happy.

- Extract single team/whole league stats, averages and rankings into CSV.
- Copy the box score after you've entered into CSV as well.
- (Later on) Create the Trends screen, which I've explained above.
- Edit Team Stats directly (this will only be useful if you have access to all your box scores so far and want to correct your corrupted stats to the true averages).

Dei, I know your pain. I want to make the tool compatible with seasons past year 1, but I just don't have the proper knowledge of NBA 2K12's save files' structure to do that yet. I hope that with some help I can make this a great tool that will work regardless of the season.

abidnis & jrlocke, hope my ToDo list made you happy.

Lagoa, this goes for you too. The feature you requested is on my ToDo list as you can see. But I don't recommend you go through with that. I get that you don't want to restart your association, but it's not just your team's stats that get corrupted by this bug, all your opponent's stats get corrupted as well. So for you to correct the stats after a few games, means that you have to get ALL the Box Scores for your team and the teams you've been up against (if for example you're just before Game 7, you'll need your 6 box scores, and the box scores for EVERY game each of the opponents you encountered in your first 6 games has played). The tool will be able to calculate averages, but this is quite the job for the user. But if you want it, it's quite doable. Just make sure you keep al your box scores, because the game tends to delete the older ones from the save (it can't fit that many after a while, as the save has a standard size, and isn't expanding to accommodate more box scores or stats).

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Angelo on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 pm

You are one hell of a guy leftos (Y) nice app
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby zizoux on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:26 am

OMG! I've been waiting for this. Thank you so much . :bowdown2: Keep up the good work!
zizoux

Postby Leftos on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 am

Hmmm... Does this wet your appetite, abidnis & jrlocke?

League-wide CSV created by the tool, sorted in Excel by PPG.

v0.5 released!
Adds support to export an individual team's as well as league-wide stats to CSV. Also checks if the "Saved Test Stats" file is compatible with the Association file being updated, when the user uses the "Load & Update Team Stats".

NOTE: For now, certain features such as Averages, Rankings, Scouting Reports and Export to CSV only work during the season, but will be fixed to work for the Playoffs too, soon.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA 2K12 Modding