X's T'wolves (NBA 2K11)

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: X's T'wolves (NBA 2K11): 2013 NBA FINALS DECIDED

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:49 am

Rubio won it for you.

Suck on that Martti!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby The X on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 am

dare wrote:At some point I'm disappointed. The record has been broken :wink:

I'm sorry that me winning a title for the first time in seven years (in real time since Live '04 Nuggets were last time) disappoints people :lol:

Cruzerr wrote:You did it. Crack the beers open and celebrate.

Yep, was nice to finally be on winner's side for a change :cool:

hova- wrote:Wow, not realistic but really nice to see you winning it all. A championship for the T-Wolves ... I doubt that this will happen soon IRL.

More realistic than the Cavs winning it last season though :P

In the end, I actually got decent at 2K11. Players like Rose were pretty easy to shut down. When I actually tried hard and played every possession, plus had a team with offensive firepower, I was good enough. I probably should've adjusted 3 point shooting sliders (at default) down since I was shooting 45% on all-star level, but I thought stuff it, finish it off.

Sit wrote:Rubio won it for you.

Suck on that Martti!

Yes, Rubio redeemed himself well. Whilst Afflalo had a terrible Finals series, Rubio was my team's third best player at times (behind Beasley & Gordon) and came up with some big-time plays at both ends when needed.

In Rubio we trust. A proven winner. Can even take the Minnesota Timberwolves to a title :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 am

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Who's the coach of the team again? For a moment there I thought it was The Custodian Brian Cardinal. :lol:
Last edited by shadowgrin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Re: X's T'wolves (NBA 2K11): 2013 NBA FINALS DECIDED p.29

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:01 am

The X has just won the NBA title! Great to see you win and enjoyed the finals coverage.
Lamrock

Postby The X on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am

shadowgrin wrote:KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

:lol:

He's got a job for life now (or until the franchise folds in 2016) :cool:

Lamrock wrote:The X has just won the NBA title! Great to see you win and enjoyed the finals coverage.

Yep, couldn't done it without you convincing me to play the games out and not sim half of them (btw, I did a trial sim of game 3 of Lakers series after I won that series & I would've been knocked out in first round :P ).

Who knows, maybe you'll win from 8th seed too. The Memphis Grizzlies have made it alright for us to do that....well at least just for this one year. At times I think it's best to throw realism out the window. I was still trying to play realistically, but if my gun team can beat all comers, then so be it.

The series wasn't a romp though, neither were playoffs. Every series I could've lost it on many occasions. I think Beasley just carried team and Afflalo turned into a God in the Nuggets and OKC series (more than 20ppg with 55% shooting from 3) before turning back into a mere mortal in Finals (about 6ppg on 33% shooting). I still can't believe I beat the Thunder, they were a team I could never get by.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:09 am

shadowgrin wrote:Who's the coach of the team again? For a moment there I thought it was The Custodian Brian Cardinal. :lol:

That's Jay Triano, Lamrock's favourite coach.

It can not be understated the impact that assistant coach Adrian Dantley (damn right!) had on the team. No wonder why my team turned into an offensive juggernaut overnight :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:12 am

Triple post (because I can when I win the title).

Anyways, did anybody notice I was filming closing seconds on my mobile phone whilst playing? I botched Eric Gordon's first free throw. Still shot second FT one handed, but made sure to concentrate a little more. Would've been bad if I had blown that, gone into OT then eventually lost the series :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:14 am

Along with the others here, I find this Finals win insulting.

A team managed by David Kahn wins, Rubio told the haters to suck it after what he did, and Jay Triano hit the haters (especially Lamrock) on the head with a clipboard and broke it after guiding his team to win it all.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby The X on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm glad you approve shadow (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 am

Shame it had to come at the Bulls' expense, but congrats on reaching the top again. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 pm

There's something special about the finals coverage. Be it the brilliantly pro-rated best of 5 -> 7 series to the video, it is perhaps a fitting end to a dynasty trilogy of Andrew "The X" Watson's underdog stories. After epic stints in Charlotte and Portland, The X has finally won it all.
Lamrock

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Congratz on the title. If this was to happen IRL I'd bet everyone would say the new CBA made it possible :roll:
qfrmcpt310

Postby The X on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Andrew wrote:Shame it had to come at the Bulls' expense, but congrats on reaching the top again. :)

The Bulls lacked a quality starting 2 guard and backup PG. Plus too easy to shut down PG's in 2K11.

Lamrock wrote:There's something special about the finals coverage. Be it the brilliantly pro-rated best of 5 -> 7 series to the video, it is perhaps a fitting end to a dynasty trilogy of Andrew "The X" Watson's underdog stories. After epic stints in Charlotte and Portland, The X has finally won it all.

Cheers for the kind words. Glad you appreciate the pro rata of playoffs, surprised nobody thought of it before.

You can probably tell from me posting a video that I was pretty chuffed to win it all. I had to go through some hi octane teams like Nuggets and Thunder, both of which always give me fits. I came back from a 35 point demoralization in opening game of playoffs against Lakers to build something special. I didn't cheese anything. After that first loss, I played.the best I have in an NBA game in years, playing a lot of help D, hitting open man. Heck, I went thru half the playoffs with my supposed best player in Love (turns out he was my 3rd best player all along). I had a lot of luck and good fortune on the way, but I would like to think I brought some if that on myself. I had the audacity to give unproven rookie Richard.Sharpe key minutes against Kobe and he shined.and played.out of his skin. He never played like that again. Afflalo turned into my best player in Denver and OKC series and showed.why I traded.for him, then went back to normal in Finals. Against OKC.I had Buford running.around screens, giving KD all he could han#le. Finally, Beasley turned into the player we all hoped he would become.

In the end my team ended up gelling at the right time, I got some.epic.playoff performances from supporting cast, as well as beas, Gordon etc. My team had a lot of talent, depth and versatility. It lacked experience but guys like Pryz-bizz stepped up (blocked Noah 3 times down the court in game 5).

In the end I'm proud.of my virtual team and what they became. They even surprised me. I don't like to hear that its an unrealistic result. It's no less unrealistic than q shitty Cavs team going to 07 Finals, a shitty heat team winning.06 finals. Maybe I shouldn't take comments like that to heart, but shit I've been playing with mediocre teams since 2004 and going thru losing season after losing season, which do get frustrating. Difference this time around my team was decent, I just let them down with a poor regular season when we should've been top 4. Ahh well, maybe if my team was.Knicks ppl would've.accepted.an 8 seed winning it.

Final word, an 8 seed that has 4 seed ability (like 11 grizzlies and.my 13 wolves) is more.realistic to me than winning 70 games and.winning titles every year (not that there is anything wrong.with it but posters generally don't say its unrealistic even if it is).

Anyways, rant over. I was inspired by your post, which inspired me to think about my virtual wolves. Can't believe I've typed.this all out on my phone. I'm too passionate about this sort of stuff.

qfrmcpt310 wrote:Congratz on the title. If this was to happen IRL I'd bet everyone would say the new CBA made it possible :roll:

Cheers, don't think CBA will cause it, just good.smart front office and a bit if luck along the way.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 am

People don't seem to be considering that it's season three and that you actually played a 29 game season. I went 15-14 in mine (should have been 17 or 18 wins but I choked a couple away), and now I'm in the finals because I got good at the game right around game 1 of the playoffs (and Memphis would've totally swept me had Z-Bo not gone down). In Live, you'd always end up with the worst record and the 4th pick. Here, you paid your dues in season 1 with the Darko challenges, but now you're on top, and that's Kahn-tastic.

Cleveland won as the #6 seed in this multiverse where the law of averages has less sway, and you build your team realistically. Some of the best stories on this site are the ones where the teams are actually dynasties, but my favorite stories start at the bottom.
Lamrock

Postby The X on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Always nice to see your intellect & a bit of banter in this thread (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Re: X's T'wolves (NBA 2K11): 2013 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!

Postby hova- on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 pm

It's unrealistic because the T-Wolves really suck in the current reality - I think that is what the word bases on - nothing more. You're in season three and maybe in three years the T-Wolves can also make some noise in the West.

I think that is what we are all playing for ... winning. In the end winning is always the best thing about anything related to sports - be it playing yourself or a video game.

And you're also right with the fact that every champion of the last decade that wasn't LA, the Spurs or the Cs was also not a "realistic" contender before.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Valor on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:57 am

Haha congrats man, even though you owned my Bulls...still, well won :chug:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:24 am

Congrats on the title, X! :chug: Well done holding Rose to a mediocre scoring average, not to mention Gordon's high scoring.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:23 am

Even if you'd won the title in your first season, when it comes down to it Association and Dynasty games incorporate a certain amount of fantasy: what you'd do if you were GM, how certain players might perform if they lived up to their potential, what if a certain player didn't get injured, etc. You can always elect to keep a certain amount of realism but you also have to play the game the way you want and enjoy it and for most of us that would be trying to win. There's no sense in intentionally losing just for the sake of the story or a sense of realism.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:50 pm

hova- wrote:It's unrealistic because the T-Wolves really suck in the current reality - I think that is what the word bases on - nothing more. You're in season three and maybe in three years the T-Wolves can also make some noise in the West.

I think that is what we are all playing for ... winning. In the end winning is always the best thing about anything related to sports - be it playing yourself or a video game.

And you're also right with the fact that every champion of the last decade that wasn't LA, the Spurs or the Cs was also not a "realistic" contender before.

My T-wolves are no different to the Oklahoma City Thunder team. When they won 20 odd games pre-Durant, if anybody told you a few years later that they'd be able to make big noise in West, most people would think you're crazy, but they have. I obviously caught a lot of luck along the way, but my team was top 4 quality in West (I'd only rank Lakers & Thunder as better teams in West, both of which I beat), I just started slowly in season 3 & because I play such a short season & my sim team was ordinary, I couldn't recover in regular season. In an 82 game season, even with simming, I think my T-wolves could've won 50 games no probs.

Valor wrote:Haha congrats man, even though you owned my Bulls...still, well won :chug:

Cheers, Rubio owned Rose :cool:

Axel. wrote:Congrats on the title, X! :chug: Well done holding Rose to a mediocre scoring average, not to mention Gordon's high scoring.

Yep, Air Gordon's 46 points in game one really set the tone for the series :cool:

Andrew wrote:Even if you'd won the title in your first season, when it comes down to it Association and Dynasty games incorporate a certain amount of fantasy: what you'd do if you were GM, how certain players might perform if they lived up to their potential, what if a certain player didn't get injured, etc. You can always elect to keep a certain amount of realism but you also have to play the game the way you want and enjoy it and for most of us that would be trying to win. There's no sense in intentionally losing just for the sake of the story or a sense of realism.

Agreed with more or less everything you said there Andrew. I think it's worth me saying that I would never intentionally lose. Even through all those bad teams in prior years, it was frustrating, I never tried to lose. I was just playing with some really terrible teams with no offensive firepower. I also made life harder for myself by playing shorter seasons, bumping up difficulty (by level or sliders) once I got better at game so I'd have to keep upping the ante, & also simming at least half my games so if I had a terrible team it would never win those games, so I never had a realistic shot of making playoffs, until I was able to build a better team.

Whether you win 70 games or 20 games, doesn't really matter. As long as you're having fun. I hope my previous post didn't come across as bashing anybody else's dynasty or Association, because that wasn't my intention, it was just to add some context to mine.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Valor on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:37 am

The X wrote:Cheers, Rubio owned Rose :cool:

That bit is ESPECIALLY hard to swallow :facepalm2: I'm just glad that, that will never happen IRL :cool:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 am

Rubio owned Rose? That's like Luke Walton owning Durant.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby The X on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:45 am

Valor wrote:
The X wrote:Cheers, Rubio owned Rose :cool:

That bit is ESPECIALLY hard to swallow :facepalm2: I'm just glad that, that will never happen IRL :cool:

Martti. wrote:Rubio owned Rose? That's like Luke Walton owning Durant.

He didn't really OWN him, but he contained him, which was great. Rubio also came up with key plays at key moments in the series.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Wow great job here X! (Y) Nice to see Beasley being the MVP... and Rubio taking part of this. :lol:
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby The X on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Cheers, it was definitely the Beas Knees. Yep, surprisingly Rubio was key factor in the series & Afflalo went missing (outside of a key 3 early in 4th quarter of game 5).

I'm looking forward to seeing Rubio in action IRL for Minny. He's got enough frontcourt targets to hit.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame