Beginners Guide to Patching - Tools & Textures Basics

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K12.

Beginners Guide to Patching - Tools & Textures Basics

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 am

This thread is for beginners to patching who want to learn the basics on how to customize NBA 2K12 to their liking. This isn't going to make you a great patcher, but it should give you an idea on how do to things. Learning how the textures work and how the games use them take time and experimentation, so don't give up!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Beginners Guide to Patching - Tools & Textures Basics

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 am

NBA 2K12 Decompressor

Click to download the NBA 2K12 IFF File Decompressor
This tool allows you to decompress the 2K12 iff files which use a different compression format than the ones used in 2K9-2K11.

First, choose which file you want to decompress. I am choosing the "f060.iff" file which is the Maine Red Claws floor file.
(figure out which file does what with this thread - viewtopic.php?f=144&t=82285)

Then start the Decompressor tool

Once the tool loads up, click the Open button

Find the iff file you want to edit, refer to the NBA 2K12 General FAQ if you need to know where the iff files are located.

After you confirm you selected the correct file, hit the UNZLIB button

Now navigate to the Decompressor's main folder. By default it is C:/NBA 2K12 Decompressor

Your decompressed iff file will be located in that folder, ready to opened and edited with the Mod Tool
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 am

NBA 2KX Mod Tool

Click to download the NBA2KX Mod Tool
This is the most popular tool for importing and exporting textures and some models from the iff files used by 2K Sports. It only imports and exports dds files for textures, so be sure to read up on how to edit and use those files.

You need to make sure your Java is updated, be sure to only get Java updates from Java.com

Extract the contents of the downloaded rar file into a folder of your choosing. If you need help extracting from a rar file, refer to this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=82789

Once it is finished extracting, you want to run the .jar file.

Once it loads it will ask you to choose what game files you are editing, I'll assume you will choose NBA 2K11 since 2K12 isn't an option.

This is what the tool looks like.

Click Open to open a file /obvious

Navigate to your NBA 2K12 folder or to where you saved the .iff file you want to edit. If you used the 2K12 Decompressor, goto it's main folder (see tutorial above for directions).

In the left panel choose which texture (or model) you wish to edit by clicking on the different numbers. Once you find the texture you wish to edit click [Export Res].

You will also want to note the information on the bottom left corner of the Mod Tool that describes the dds texture you have selected. In the image above the dds texture of the Boston Away Jersey Top has a DXT5 compression with a width of 1024 and a height of 512.

Unlike the 2k9 Iff Editor, the dds file you import back into the Mod Tool must be the EXACT same size and compression as the file you exported. This is covered in the DDS tutorial below.

When you are finished editing your dds file, or if you have a dds file already created, click the [Import Res] button to import the texture back into the iff file. The Mod Tool automatically changes the iff file so there is no undo or save command.

Quit the program and enjoy.

Also know that some files contain "Subfiles" or textures. You access these textures and 3d models click the drop down menu next to subfile.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

NBA 2K12 Cyberface (& Jersey) Texture Importer / Exporter
This same procedure works with the Jersey Importer / Exporter as well.

Click to download the NBA 2K12 Cyberface Textures Exporter/Importer or NBA 2K12 Jersey Textures Importer/Exporter
This tool allows you to edit the Cyberface files for NBA 2K12. Cyberface iff files are the ones that begin with "png". For a full list of player ID numbers, check out this thread - viewtopic.php?f=144&t=82626.

Unlike the Decompressor, this tool does not require use of the Mod Tool to import and export the textures. This is because the Mod Tool doesn't work with the cyberface files of NBA 2K12.

Start the program

Hit the Open Button

Navigate to your NBA 2K12 folder to choose the cyberface file you want to open

Hit the Extract Button

Navigate to the Program's Main Folder

In the main folder, enter the folder that has the same name as the file you extracted

Now you can edit the textures as needed
nba2kway wrote:Texture 0 must be saved as DXT1 8 mipmaps
Texture 1 must be saved as DXT5 8 mipmaps
Texture 2 must be saved as DXT1 8 mipmaps
Texture 3 must be saved as DXT5 8 mipmaps
Texture 4 must be saved as DXT1 8 mipmaps
Texture 5 must be saved as DXT5 8 mipmaps

If you don't know what that means, look at the DDS tutorial below.

Once you are done editing your dds files, go back to the tool, and hit the import button.

The tool will automatically import your edited textures back into the file and even create a backup for you.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Basic DDS File Editing with GIMP

GIMP is the free alternative to Photoshop. I don't know anything about Photoshop so I will be unable to answer questions about it.

Download GIMP from here
http://www.gimp.org/

You will need a DDS Plug-in as well
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Google will help you figure out how to install the plug-in. Essentially you just need to put a file into the right folder and start the program.

So after you load up GIMP and choose to open a DDS file I get this dialog box.

I uncheck the mip maps box to make things simpler and I don't care if that dialog ever comes back.

This is how your texture should look

For the sake of changing something, I selected the green of the jersey and terribly recolored it black. For tips on the tools available in GIMP, you should check out Google and YouTube, there are tons of tools and techniques that I am too bad at to teach others...thankfully, this being an open-source program, there are tons of resources.

That image was taken with the Layer Mask both disabled and with the [Edit Layer Mask] unchecked.

Now it's time to save it, but it's not as easy as it sounds. You need to be sure to match the exact compression and dimensions of the original file. All the dds files also have mip maps, so you need to be sure to save with those generated as well. This information can be found in the bottom left corner of the Mod Tool.

Knowing that this texture is a DXT5 compression and 1024, 512 and has mip maps will help with the next step.

Now if you just hit save in GIMP it will not allow you to edit any of the compression information, so we need to hit SAVE AS

Once this dialog pops up you need to be sure that you have the .dds extension in the save box. Instead of having a drop down box that lets you choose what file type you want to save as, you need to manually type in the 3 letter extension like dds, png, bmp, jpg.

Finally this last DDS dialog box will pop up asking you for compression and other parameters.

We need to hit the drop down box to change the compression to DXT5 and check the Generate MipMaps box.

If no errors pop up, you should be all set to import this texture back into the iff file with the Mod Tool or the Cyberface Importer/Exporter. For help with that, check out the tutorials above.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 am

Alpha Layer Editing with GIMP

Unless you know what you are doing, be sure to check out the basic GIMP/DDS tutorial above first.

Textures can look transparent because of a layer mask, so we should turn that off. In the layers bar, right click the layer, and choose to Add a Layer Mask. (this is also called the alpha channel)

This will allow us to disable and edit the layer mask. This dialog box will pop up.

We want to transfer the alpha channel to the layer mask.

Aaaaand nothing will change. Except now we have a few more options to play with if we right click the layer.

If we click to [Show Layer Mask] it will look like this.

If we click to [Disable Layer Mask] it will look like this.

Note that unless you uncheck the [Edit Layer Mask] option you will be unable to edit the "real" texture (in this case the green jersey), you will just edit the Layer Mask.

For more information on Alpha Layers/Layer Masks check out this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=76405

After you are finished editing your texture you want to right click the layer again and [Apply Layer Mask]

Your texture should go transparent again.

Then you should be all set to save and import as needed.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Rob Owen on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:27 am

Great Tutorial Thanks for this..
Rob Owen

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:46 am

you're welcome, I hope everyone finds it useful.

The Jersey tool is literally the same procedure as the cyberface one, so I won't be creating a new tutorial for that.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby mlp111 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:42 pm

thanks for this great tutorials... question with cyberface editing... how do i look at the textures from 2k11 and place the one in for 2k12, say use a texture from 2k11 (cf( and place it in 2k12
mlp111

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 pm

use the mod tool to look at the 2k11 iff file and export the texture, then simply edit the 2k12 dds file to add in that 2k11 texture
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby matt219 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:59 pm

sorry for asking this twice,
I used to get nba 2kmodtool worked on my PC.. But now it just can't work on my new laptop (win7 x64)
I don't know why, everytime I try to open it with java(TM) platform SE binary it's not going to work. I mean, nothing happens
so I wonder if someone could help me to get this solved :)
matt219

Postby ADVERSiTY on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 am

mathana wrote:sorry for asking this twice,
I used to get nba 2kmodtool worked on my PC.. But now it just can't work on my new laptop (win7 x64)
I don't know why, everytime I try to open it with java(TM) platform SE binary it's not going to work. I mean, nothing happens

Are you using 64-bit Java? If so, that's why.
ADVERSiTY

Postby matt219 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:28 pm

ADVERSiTY wrote:
mathana wrote:sorry for asking this twice,

Are you using 64-bit Java? If so, that's why.

problem solved,
so now I can run my modtool.. thanks for answering ADVERSitY! :D
matt219

Postby Rosque on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey, how to make a cyberface?
Rosque

Postby JaoSming on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 pm

its basic texture editing, you find a player that looks like the person you are trying to create, get an image of the player you're making the CF for, then apply that picture over the game texture and make it look good in photoshop/gimp.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Rosque on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 am

How do I make myself?
Rosque

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 am

find a player that looks like you, apply a picture of your face over theirs and import it back in. make the iff file first, then you can figure out how to apply it to a created player.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jawe18 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:46 am

I have a question JaoSming for the NBA 2KX Mod Tool.. "This tool allows you to edit, import and export textures for the PC version of NBA 2K12. It can also be used with NBA 2K11, NBA 2K10 and NBA 2K9.

Please note that this tool requires the latest version of Java to be installed on your PC."

What Java do I update?
jawe18

Postby JaoSming on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 pm

whatever java.com gives you to download on the main page
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jawe18 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Why error come up when I try to open a png file?? I already Dl the latest java.. what did I miss??
jawe18

Postby JaoSming on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 pm

you cant open CF files with the mod tool this year, you need to use the CF editor. Tutorial above.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby mcoll86 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:48 am

[attachment=1]Untitled-1.png[/attachment]ive got the image pooping up. its on a uniform, speifc pacers home i think, but the other part of this issue is when used the deconpresser, its says its already depressed, so what am i missing here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcoll86

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:30 am

you cant use the mod tool to edit uniforms, you have to use the jersey importer/exporter
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby mcoll86 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 pm

ty.
mcoll86

Postby tatlopuyo on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:40 pm

hey sir jao..im having trouble with gimp..i cant open the jersey files i extract from the jersey importer/exporter..but i can open other dds files..not just the files i extracted using jersey importer/exporter..can u help me?
tatlopuyo

Next

Return to NBA 2K12 Tutorials & FAQs