General NBA 2K12 FAQ

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K12.

General NBA 2K12 FAQ

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 am

New features in 2K12
NBA 2K12 boasts a much improved My Player mode, more detailed presentation, Create A Legend which allows you to take up any current player of the NBA and continue their career in a My Player fashion, better gameplay and a new silent update system which can update any game art or text, as well as add new ones (such as shoes, cyberfaces, arenas, etc).

Known Issues/Bugs/Glitches
- Speed doesn't matter. Unfortunately, during fast breaks, you'll find that the opposing center who has a speed rating of 55, can run just as fast as your 90+ point guard. This is a design flaw that can't be fixed with sliders.
- What do I do? What do I do? Crap, the shot clock's over! ...or in other words, the bug where the opposing player remains still outside the arc waiting for a play to act out that never finalizes, holds the ball until the shot clock is down to 1, and shoots it up from wherever he is, because he has to. Can it be fixed? Roster-makers and Slider-makers disagree, but in my opinion it's a mix of good Coach Profiles (Rosters) and good slider settings. There are sliders that in the pursuit of realistic stats cause this bug to happen even more often, so beware, and try out different sets until you find the perfect one.
- My team's so good it has 90RPG and 75APG. ...or in other words, the Team Stats bug. A feature that was working perfectly all the previous years, the 2K developers managed to break this year, and haven't been able(?) to fix in the first console patches. The box scores for the games you play or watch are recorded fine, but they aren't added to your team's and the opposing team's stats correctly, which leads to corrupted stats for all teams in the league sooner or later. Minor bug for some, a major immersion-breaker for others. The NBA Stats Tracker tool (see the Tools section of this guide) offers a workaround for that in its donation ($2) version, which will become free in late February-early March.
- Players from other teams appear in my team's box score! This is a random bug that we haven't tracked down to a specific scenario. If you notice this early in your Association, only solution is to start a new one. Chances are it won't happen randomly in the middle of it.
- I've installed a Pistons/Raptors arena mod, but the floor in the game is different than the modder's screenshots! That's because of 2K's silent update system that it introduced this year. If 2K updates some game art (such as the Pistons' floor), it overrides any mods you have installed for that piece of art. In order to fix this and override any specific 2K updates with the mods you've installed, use the Keep My Mod tool (see the Tools section of this guide).

Where is my main NBA 2K12 folder?
If you have the Steam version of the game you can find your main NBA 2K11 folder here;
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\nba 2k12

The default DVD version of the game installs to;
C:\Program Files\2K Sports\NBA 2K12

If you have another version of NBA 2K12 you should right click your desktop shortcut, click properties, and then click "Open File Location" to find your installation.

Where is my NBA 2K12 Saves folder?
For XP/Vista users goto the Start Menu and click Run.... then type in %appdata% with the % signs. Then click 2K Sports, then NBA 2K12. That is your saves folder.

For Windows 7 users you can type %appdata% in your Start Menu's search bar and press enter. It will take you to your Roaming folder and then you can click 2K Sports and NBA 2K12.

Where do I put the zip/rar file I downloaded?
You need to extract the game files from the zip/rar file before the game will recognize them. Windows has built in support for zip files whereas rar files need to be extracted with winrar or another program.

How do I use these .iff files?
If you look in your main folder you will notice hundreds of .iff files. These files are the game's container files for textures, models, and other game assets. Unfortunately you need to manually backup the original game files whereas NBA Live PC games didn't require you to overwrite these files.

To properly use a modified iff file for NBA 2K12 follow this procedure.
    1. Extract iff files from the rar/zip file you downloaded
    2. Find the original iff file in the main folder
    3. Rename original iff file to back it up (ex. uh005.iff -> uh005 - Backup.iff)
    4. Copy the downloaded iff files into the main folder
Keep in mind that we do NOT allow original game files to be posted for download. Do not request original files.

Why don't the patches I downloaded show up?
Unless specifically posted, every patch on this forum is created for "high" detail settings. If you use "Medium" player models then uniforms and CFs should still show up. However, if you use "low" visual quality settings, most of the patches will not show up in your game.

How do I know what file controls what?
Global, Gamedata, and other files control many aspects of the game, too many to list.

Files beginning with "u" and "r" are uniform files. The first being home, away, and alternates whereas the second are for retro jerseys.

Files beginning with "s" are stadium files, "f" for floor files, and "logo" files are obviously for logos.

To find what number (ex. uh005.iff) cooresponds to what team, please reference this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=82285

"png" files are player CF files, they contain that player's cyberface texture, tattoo textures, and other things that are specific to that player.

To find a specific player's number, reference this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=82626

How can I create my own patch?
This thread was created with Beginners in mind - viewtopic.php?f=144&t=82787
If you can think of a better way to teach something or need another tutorial for something else, please post in that thread.

Essencially it is OK to think of .iff files the same way you think of zip/rar files, they are container files with textures and models that can be imported and exported. Once you export a texture you can use Photoshop or a free program like GIMP to edit the textures and then import them back into a iff file.

Once you create your patched iff file, take some screenshots, upload it to our Downloads Database, and feel free to start your own thread in our Releases forum.

How do I take screenshots?
Some people have not been able to use "print screen" to properly capture screenshots. You can use a program like Fraps or a free alternative to properly capture screenshots in 2K11.

To upload the screenshots for us to view you can attach them directly to your post, or use a free upload service like imageshack to host the screenshot online.

Why don't my courts have small logos?
2K mentioned there is some kind of licensing issue with international versions of the game that prevents them from using some logos or something. Basically unless you have the North American version of the game, with a computer that thinks it is in the US, the small logos will not show up.

You can try to use Court Logos Normalizer (for non-US residents) created by Vl@d Zola Jr. if you need help with the program, please reply in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=143&t=82357

How can I edit my Roster/My Player/Association file outside of the game?
Vl@d Zola Jr. has recreated his REDitor program for NBA 2K12. There will be a free version available, but some file support and features will have to come at a cost for the editor, just like last year. You can download it here - viewtopic.php?f=143&t=83175

Who can I ask for help?
For general help with the forums you can PM all Administrators or Moderators. If you want to ask a question to the site owner feel free to PM Andrew.

For patching help you can contact JaoSming, Pdub, or Lean. You can also try PMing patchers that regularly release patches here but they aren't obligated to respond like we are :) .

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them and I'll add them to this post.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K12 by Andrew on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:23 pm.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: General NBA 2K12 FAQ

Postby volsey on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:43 am

Well done, thank you. New to PC and this will save me time. :applaud:
volsey

Postby rrnepo on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 pm

question: if the goal of my player mode is reaching the hall of fame, whats the goal for create-a-legend mode?
follow up: how many seasons can you play in the other game modes? (eg my player, cal, association)
rrnepo

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:01 pm

for the mode called creating a legend, the goal is to also reach the HoF
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:13 pm

As I understand it though, you don't get to see the HoF ceremony in Creating a Legend; you've got to earn it through My Player.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby vincemeister55 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:00 am

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I have a question. Is there any music at the end of a game or none? Coz in my game, there's none after the buzzer ends. I remember in nba 2k11, there's a music playing at the end of a game. I'm just curious if this only happens to me. Anybody else experiencing this?

P.S-- I don't want to make a thread just for this silly question of mine :cheeky:
so forgive me if I posted this here.
vincemeister55

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 am

eh, could have gone in the bugs thread, but this works

check your settings file to make sure the menu music is turned on
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby vincemeister55 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:34 am

:cheeky: I thought of posting in the bugs thread but I'm not really sure if this is a bug in the game though. Yep, the menu music is on. It's just that there's no music when the buzzer ends and the players are celebrating or walking out of the court. It's kinda dry just to hear only the commentators voice and the crowd with no background music. Then the music resumes when viewing the "player of the game" mini movie.
vincemeister55

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:44 pm

ooo, I think that might be just how it is. I'm not 100% sure, because I usually skip that part to get to the player of the game highlights.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby vincemeister55 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:19 pm

too bad. NBA 2k11 had a music at the end of the buzzer. But now 2k sports remove it. Just like they messed up the sweat progression. I hope you're right Jao. Since I suspect that I had some installation problem and I don't want to re-install my game when it's 2k sports doing.
vincemeister55

Postby derrick1 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:10 am

How do i turn off vibration? Im using wired xbox 360 controller for pc. Please help me out guys!
derrick1

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:31 am

i dont think there is an option in-game
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby derrick1 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm

^^ It just vibrates automatically when i get into the player's hot zone. No way i can turn vibration off inside or outside the game? Does console users experience this?
derrick1

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 pm

yea, its a feature
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Look my voice to LP on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:44 am

i have a question - at the second season in MP mode are we able to load custom rookies or they would be generated by game?
ImageImage
I am godfather of the Paint
Look my voice to LP

Postby ShippingToBoston9 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:22 pm

does anyne know how to open the blank png files starting at 3000 (ex. png3000.iff)??? please help

WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ KALIFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVRIMOLNc0
ShippingToBoston9

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:35 pm

That's one for the patching section, this is for more general questions about the base game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ShippingToBoston9 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:33 am

ok thanks (Y)

WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ KALIFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVRIMOLNc0
ShippingToBoston9

Postby Mark. on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Ok I'm thinking this is a really stupid question, but anyway. Only just started playing association now that the season is under way, and have really struggled as I have no idea how to call plays! When I press right on the direction pad as in previous years I only get options such as: "Howard Post Up" "Richardson get Open" and one called "Run best play" which seems to randomly select a play for me.

How can I call plays like last year? And even more simply, how the hell do I run a pick and roll?!?
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:06 pm

pick and roll is done by holding the playcalling button (LB on 360 controllers)

play calling is the same as 2k11, tap the playcalling button, pick a player, pick a play.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Mark. on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 pm

JaoSming wrote:pick and roll is done by holding the playcalling button (LB on 360 controllers)

play calling is the same as 2k11, tap the playcalling button, pick a player, pick a play.

Yeah thanks Jao, did a bit of playing round after asking that question and managed to figure it out, different buttons this year but actually works out a lot better, now the hard part if choosing which plays I like!
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby chuajefry on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 am

hi Sir, do you have patches for retro jerseys for each team? the hardwood classics? like the 86-87 cavs jerseys

thanks
chuajefry

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 am

that is something you can search the releases forum - viewforum.php?f=143 - and the downloads database - downloads.php?cat=139 - for. If there aren't any make a request for them in this forum - viewforum.php?f=142.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby 6James6 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 am

How can I choose my favourite team as in nba 2k12 for a the quick game menu
6James6

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 am

I believe that's done when you're setting up your My2K account.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA 2K12 Tutorials & FAQs