NBA 2K12 Quick Impressions & Questions

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Re: NBA 2K12 Quick Impressions & Questions

Postby buzzy on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Before I get deeper into it, the thing that's probably gonna take me the most time getting used to are the quick, on the fly subs. Always subbing out my SG when trying to close the panel :lol:
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby DVocShoeBox on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:50 am

Getting my complete impression together, still having a couple "the F**K" or "how in the HELL" moments but there are fewer as the hours past by. One thing I like to point out is that the players didn't get smarter, defense just got dumber. Its like on SuperStar difficulty (Don't bring up "Hall of Fame" or I'mma Jump :twisted: ), nobody plays defense on the star players which makes them look smarter, but it is actually common sense. If a player "runs away" or back up, of course, I'mma shoot it! I may have better impressions later.
.....Retired Modder.......
..............Over 200,000 in downloads.............
.............NBA SummerTime 2k9, NBA Street 2k10 Vol.2..........
.............Precise Live 08, Precise Summer League07,08,09..................
DVocShoeBox
Director | Designer | Developer

Postby fjccommish on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:59 am

"-Can't call plays without ball"

That's a myplayer mode killer. Just like 2K11, I've purchased 2K12 and now have to wait and hope the patch changes this. 2K11 had different issues, but the result is the same. It will be months hoping and waiting.

"-Stealing is too easy, but I can't complain, I need all the help I can get."

Turning up the strength slider seems to help.
fjccommish

Postby nextnba on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:11 am

Defense is horrible. No one plays any on-ball defense. If you monitor it more closely, you will noticed that a lot of 3 point shots are taken because anyone can pretty much shoot whenever they want. Most of the games I am playing, half of the shots taken are 3 pointers. Most likely, you have to edit players on-ball defense as well or adjust game slider.
nextnba

Postby Darkh on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:49 am

No, i think that on ball defense is pretty good this year, much more realistic and physical, but the thing that you mentioned is caused propably by low defense awareness, try to increase its slider value.
Darkh

Postby whbro on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:04 am

srry for the question , I played nba 2k12 , and i couldnt find in quick plays, how to change player..

Only 4-5 plays http://www.nba-live.com/?attachment_id=797 .. In nba 2k11, there were lots of plays , categorized in players..There is no feature like that?
ImageImage
I am an Olympiacos and LA Lakers Fan!!!!
whbro

Postby bowdown on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:00 am

whbro wrote:srry for the question , I played nba 2k12 , and i couldnt find in quick plays, how to change player..

Only 4-5 plays http://www.nba-live.com/?attachment_id=797 .. In nba 2k11, there were lots of plays , categorized in players..There is no feature like that?

Yeah. I havent really played around with the game but when I have, I havent been able to figure out how to call more advanced plays for other players. Id like an answer too please.
bowdown

Postby buzzy on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:22 am

Left Bumper/L1 + player's symbol

window should pop open, with multiple pages of setplays.

same as last year actually
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby neegotiator on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:36 am

Just curious if any association players have seen drafts where a player gets drafted multiple times? It's happened to me frequently in 2k11 where high ranked player keeps getting drafted so that I can pick lottery player with low pick. Wondering if that bug still exists in 2k12? Thanks!
neegotiator

Postby penquin11 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I bought 2k12 just yesterday but already I have found that it is by far better than 2k11 (yeah freaking amazing) here is why:
MY PLAYER MODE

2k revamped myplayer mode to make it the most fun mode EVER, the AI plays intelligently and games can be pretty challenging but not impossible. In 2k11 MyPlayer games fell into 1 of 2 categories
A) You were blowing out an opponent
B) You were getting blown out by an opponent
In 2k12 its not that way anymore, earlier in my season (I am on the Suns, and am their starting PG!!! Also they are totally building around me, supplying me with new weapons such as Marion, D Gordon, and soon to be Kevin Love it seems :D) when Nash was still the starter We were playing against the Lakers and were up by 15 (28-13), yet the Lakers rallied back to torch us 97-77 because of poor bench play on our part. I just finished playing a game against the Bulls in which I was held to 12 points over 3 quarters, upon entering the 4th the score was 104-82 Bulls up, I have a high clutch rating and went off, tying the game 109-109 and sending it too overtime, where we would win the game 127-119, I ended the game with 60 points, 5 steals, and 6 rebounds. This game is near perfect, the gameplay is sooooo smooth. Also dont worry my player isnt too easy either, just turn up the difficulty if you feel that it isnt challenging enough.

Final Thoughts:
2k has done something that EA can only dream about, make a game; based on a season that probably will not exist, utterly a must buy among gamers. 2k has proved once again that innovation trumps simple roster updates! If you havent gotten this game or are holding the lack of rookies against it I urge you to change your mind. I am typically one of those people who refuses to buy a game with old rosters, fortunately I didnt check any news on the 2k12 rosters before buying the game, which has allowed me to actually play the game.

Rating: 10/10 Rave reviews for the 2k12 team once again!
penquin11

Postby Daniel24 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Ok I have spent two days playing this game now and I feel competent enough to review it in my opinions.

Association:
- Pretty much the same as last year, not a lot to discuss here. You can now negotiate contract extensions with your players during the season which is pretty cool.

MyPlayer:
- Totally revamped from last year. The rookie showcase game is brilliant and will be even better if the rookies get patched in later on.
- From here you are interviewed by 3 teams (I've done 3 players and been interviewed by Suns, Pacers and Rockets everytime).
- I like that you start off with around a 62 overall. Gives you the ability to do SOMETHING lol.
- It is very challenging. The A.I will take advantage of every mistake you make, whether it is one dribble too many on offence, or if you watch the ball for a split second on defence. THIS IS GREAT!
- It is not easy to get A+ rating every game. I play 8min quarters and I come off the bench. In 4 games, the highest rating I have been given is a B
- You earn money (like real players) which you receive fortnightly. You can use this money to boost team chemistry, local fan support, popularity, as well as later on you can do training camps with people like Jordan to boost ratings (Jordan's camp costs $5m, and you start off on a $1.5m contract, so don't get too clucky about that for a while.
- The new drills that you can do on a weekly basis are extremely fun and challenging, much better than last year.

- ONE PROBLEM I've found with this years MyPlayer is the ridiculous trades that your team does. My first player wound up in Miami and the Heat traded Chris Bosh for Evan Turner and I. I was a point guard waiting to take over from Chalmers, but then they traded dwade for CP3. It was so stupid that I started myplayer again. I am now with the Suns and have not had any troubles YET in this department. I would be interested to hear if any of you guys have had problems with this?

Gameplay:
- WOW
- The new engine is amazing, I have never felt this in control of a game before.
- My favourite animation addition this year is definitely the contact on layups and close shots. It is crazy realistic and when you hit a contact layup you see a reaction from players and hear it from your home crowd! (Haven't checked out playoff crowds yet, would like to hear if it is better this year?)
- Fast breaks are challenging. No more can you pass to superstar and just pawn the lane with square (ps3). The Ai plays split really well and if you don't run the break smartly, you will not get the milk and cookies.
- Don't listen to haters of the defence, it is amazing. These guys complaining about it just can't stay in front of their man. You can easily enough hold down role players, but guys like Lebron, Kobe and Durant will just go out there and get theirs. No more will they have 10-15 point games, they will put up their real averages regardless of what you do. (REALISTIC - LOVE IT!)
- The plays that the teams run are fantastic and again, if you don't pay attention, you'll miss your spot on offence and lose your man to give up buckets on defence.
- Also lose ball animations (yes the ball actually comes loose FINALLY) and rebounding is totally revamped and the rebounding especially I love.

I could really keep going with this, but that is a general wrap up of what I have noticed so far. I am yet to take my talents to online or the greatest mode, so I may review those later on.

Let me know what you think of my 'article' and I would also love to hear what you have to agree/disagree with and what you would add.
Impossible is Nothing.
Daniel24

Postby hova- on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Okay, I played this game for like 4-5 hours now, I think I can post some impressions now:

Graphics & Presentation

- graphics have drastically improved on PS3, better colors, better textures, better court reflections.

- way improved faces & player modells, whoever said these faces look strange - I don't agree, they're perfect for like 85% of the players I've seen so far.

- presentation is dope: cool videos before the game, nice starting line-up presentation, better looking net animation etc etc.

- whoever had the broadcast cam idea? It's so good! Different arena, different camera angle, how cool is it to play in the Garden with that high cam and then in the Q with the low near cam.

- players act way better after whistles, animations are even better than last year, I love the three point googles and other celebrations out on the court.

- sig stuff is awesome. First game, Mavs - Lakers, me going dirty with Dirk, it felt soooo great!

Gameplay

- the AI has made an enormous step. Player for the first time act really like their RL counterparts. Z-Bo was killing me downlow, Kobe is only stoppable by fouling him (my D sucks) and damn, Larry Grandma Johnson hurt my feelings by going strong to the rack.

- okay, everybody has said that before, it's sooo smooth. Almost every scripted animation is gone, players seem to respond quicker to my controls and move just better out there on the court. Every mistake feels like it was my own fault so far.

- good shots go in - bad shots don't - it's pretty simple this year, it hasn't been for me in recent years.

- new controls are awesome, but tough to learn. You can really do everything out there on the court, if you know how to pull it off. They brought back the floater for my game by putting it on L2 and r-stick away from the basket, I was killing the Grizzlies with Tony Parker by floating all the way to the rim, just great.

- post play: excellent. So many options for the offense, a bit of a gamble for the defense (although you could also just check the opponent's tendencies). This year, if you anticipate right and go up at the right time to contest, you will just block the shot (or maybe foul). Last year, you could jump as high as you wanted, the offense would get the shot off over you and that was really unstoppable. It's different now.

- passing has further improved: I don't know, I read that many guys (over at OS) had problem with passing delay or many turnovers. I don't have these problems. It feels responsive and the animations have improved so that you get off your passes easier. Pass fake has gotten a boost, it's going way quicker so that you can do an action right after it.

- those pull up shots are cool, but tough to learn when to use them imo. They allow you to create space, but so far I'm not really good at it.

I haven't gotten into my player so far and only simmed one association, but I have to say they did not really change anything and did not improve association which is a shame. Rookies still don't get mentioned by the commentary, even if they are the best scorers in the league. Trade logic seems still off at times. And - what I really hate - sim stats aren't good just like they weren't last year. (howard 1.5 bpg etc)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Lamrock on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:44 am

Association is more or less the same as last year but the mode isn't really lacking for features. Among the changes are the 14 game season, contract extensions (yes!), new development drills, reworded menus and changed free agency process.

The sim stats are pretty good, just still not perfect. There's always too much parity in 2K, but they're slowly working on that.
Lamrock

Postby Spree#8 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:01 am

Overall, I definitely like the game. With the release of 2K12, 2K have proven that it IS possible to release a basketball video game which is NOT horribly glitched in just about every possible area. The last 2 years made me pretty convinced that's far beyond their abilities. Sometimes being wrong is good, I guess.

I do have a few complaints, though.

Might just be me, but the movement on defense seems stiff. I feel like my guy is always a step or two too slow and the CPU guy can just send me any direction he wants to with me having little to no control over it. There are probably people who will say that's my fault and I can't defend but in previous years I was able to keep my man in front of me unless he really had a speed advantage. On top of that, I'm still often left shaking my head looking at what the heck my teammates are doing on defense. I'm having 2K10 flashbacks when I see my teammates running around like headless chickens and collapsing to the basket, leaving their sharpshooting men open on the perimeter even if they're told to guard them tight. It's not as bad as it was in 2K10, but it's bad. It's also bad when a CPU driving player can just run around everyone and get a layup, because the CPU-controlled teammate won't bother to bump him or do anything. Nonexistant defensive awareness for CPU teammates is definitely a problem as I cannot control everyone at once. Increasing the user defensive awareness slider doesn't really do anything in that regard. The CPU makes contact shots a lot more easily than I do, so there's something to mess around with in the sliders.

I like the idea of overhauling the post game and I like all the new options we have this year, but I feel some things are now way more complicated than they need to be, an up and under for example. I will probably get into it with time though as I love to post and did so a lot in previous games. However, the game doesn't tell me how to perform a dream shake... or am I just completely missing it?

Teammates in My Player are basically the same story, unfortunately. If you have some kind of superstar on your team, he is likely to do something once in a while, but anyone else is useless. Doesn't 2K see that making this mode a 1v5 ruins the gameplay for many people?

NBA's Greatest... I think everything has been said about this already. I appreciate historic teams, legends and all that but if it wasn't for presentation, these games wouldn't differ from ordinary quick games at all. That makes it hard for me to even call it a separate game mode. Also, 2K's idea of peaks for about half of the included players is nothing short of ridiculous. Hopefully, once we're able to crack the files, someone replaces the doubles (well, the only team literally doubled are the '98 Jazz, but '71 Lakers and '72 Lakers is also a double for me, and so on) with some more worthy teams.

I love the new ball physics stuff. I hope that means no more undefeatable animations. I would get seriously pissed off when the CPU made a shot with the ball going right through my guy's stretched arm or when they would pass it through my back etc. Now a stupid CPU pass is a steal for me and that's how it always should have been. Overall, a great addition and a very necessary one, too.

I've noticed that while the CPU teams guard the paint heavily, they leave me quite a bit of room on the perimeter, resulting in many easy threes without even doing anything to get open. Nevertheless, I miss many good shots with green releases for some reason. I have both shot quality and jumpshot feedback on and when a shot quality is an A or B and I get the green release, it should go in more often than not, right?

It's a good thing they're expanding on shoes and accessories. While it took them 2 full years to fix the half calf sleeve glitch, it's finally gone. And a lot more shoes this year, too. I would be way more pleased if they added more Reeboks, but it's not something to make a big fuss about.

Presentation is superb, of course. They've been doing a good job on that and not much really needs to be said here. By the way, I don't think I've seen any missing heads thus far - another good sign. On a side note, I'm not very keen on this year's soundtrack. Not a big deal, but thought I'd share my opinion anyway.

All in all, it's clearly the best NBA 2K game ever, choosing from the ones released for PC at least. I'm happy to say it's playable and enjoyable straight out of the box, something I wasn't able to say about 2K11 or 2K10. Just fix the issues that are there, please. Preferably sooner then April, assholes.
Spree#8

Postby buzzy on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:58 am

Can I ulpoad my highlights to Youtube? What's the point of connecting my profile with my youtube account if I can't?
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby AreaOfEffect on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:54 pm

what is beluba cam? i thought it was just a replay.
AreaOfEffect

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:35 pm

It's a camera angle.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Whats with camera angles not saving either by the way ?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby garvi on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Originally A NBA Live fan boy, but 2K is quickly changing my mind. My second year playing a 2K game and 2K12 is great, only mode I really play is My Player, big improvements, my only complaint is the shooting percentage seems a bit high for teams I play against, is there a way I can change that for my player mode?
garvi

Postby RedPhazon8 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:44 am

Three things I've noticed:

1.) The commentary is off sometimes, I was beating the Pacers by like 20 pts, and while the Pacers were bring up the ball it was said that their offense was doing awesome at that point. Not the case...

2.) Players loose the ball to often when they make contact with players, most of the steals during games are because the AI runs into someone and looses the ball in the process.

3.) AI doesn't know when to stop attempting to attack the basket. I've seen Rose and other players in my Playoff Test, attempt to attack the basket, fail, then try again a couple more times... it seems like the AI can never attack and effectively reach the basket. It takes them 2-3 times to do it during the same possession to get to the rim, or some foul bails them out.

4.) Mismatches, during transitions after each possession it seems like big men on guards and guards on big men happens way to often. The AI never seems to take advantage of the mismatches effectively either, ie. big men vs. guard in the post or guard on the outside vs. big men.
RedPhazon8

Postby Darkh on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:56 am

fjccommish wrote:"-Can't call plays without ball"

That's a myplayer mode killer. Just like 2K11, I've purchased 2K12 and now have to wait and hope the patch changes this. 2K11 had different issues, but the result is the same. It will be months hoping and waiting.

"-Stealing is too easy, but I can't complain, I need all the help I can get."

Turning up the strength slider seems to help.

Maybe once you become floor general you can call them, heh just thinking
Darkh

Postby buzzy on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:12 am

What would I give for a fucking bounce pass button. 2 on 1 breaks are almost impossible to pull off, because passes are constantly being deflected. Just replace it with the fake pass button, who really uses it, honestly?
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 am

Actually I'm using the fake pass all the time, the question is rather, does it really have any sense/serious function at all?

Two on one is tough but the best thing is to start the layup animation and pass the ball out of the shot immediately. I've had some success with that strategy.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Spree#8 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:10 am

buzzy wrote:What would I give for a fucking bounce pass button. 2 on 1 breaks are almost impossible to pull off, because passes are constantly being deflected. Just replace it with the fake pass button, who really uses it, honestly?

Second that. We quite desparately need to have control over the type of pass we make, cause the game will always pick the most retarded type of pass for any given situation. In 2K12 it just goes this way. CPU fastbreak - unstoppable. Your fastbreak - turnover. This has been around forever, in 2K11 it was most visible on post entry passes. It drives me crazy when I commit a million turnovers which are not even my fault. And yeah, the fake pass is a waste of a button.

The layup-pass out thing seems like a good idea. I'll try that out.
Spree#8

Postby buzzy on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am

Spree#8 wrote:CPU fastbreak - unstoppable. Your fastbreak - turnover.

Yup, exactly.

I was on the break with Durant and Harden against Mike Miller. When Durant passed the three point line, Harden was alraedy nicely situated on the low block, Miller was in between the two. Quick bounce pass and easy lay-in for Harden, right? Nope Miller deflects my chest pass by randomly flailing his arms around.

On the other side of the court is Mario Chalmers making a beautiful, tough bounce pass through 2, 3 defenders for a LeBron dunk.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12